Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
wondersobright
05 Apr 15 15:21
| Topic/replies: 106,211 | Blogger: wondersobright's blog
v good southern jock
Pause Switch to Standard View cannon excellent again
Show More
Report sageform April 5, 2015 3:34 PM BST
Backed him on both Star Presenter and Noble Friend and thought he overdid the waiting tactics on both to be honest. Noble Friend was good enough to get there but both should have won comfortably if ridden closer to the pace.
Report rewired April 5, 2015 4:13 PM BST
agree with you a little there
but this guy is  a good jockey and very strong in a finish
Report themightymac April 5, 2015 4:15 PM BST
He should be fired.
Report rewired April 5, 2015 4:19 PM BST
nice.....
what was jockey on dica doing?
answers on a postcard.......
Report screaming from beneaththewaves April 5, 2015 4:27 PM BST
Surprised at a poster called Wondersobright singing the praises of a rider who robs Paddy Butler of his one winner per decade.
Report kabcast April 5, 2015 9:54 PM BST
Cant think of another trainer apart from Paddy Butler who has managed to keep going for so long,while training such a moderate string of horses.Always watched out for his  since I backed a winner Square **** at plumpton years ago trained by him.Can remember him actually having a favourite in chase at Ascot once (name escapes me),but overall has trained some modest ones mostly.
Report kabcast April 5, 2015 9:55 PM BST
Report screaming from beneaththewaves April 5, 2015 11:40 PM BST
To be fair, he did win an AW claimer at Lingfield last week with Investissement. On the other hand it was only a fortnight since he'd claimed it, so the Butler magic may not have taken effect at that point.

And I did have a huge-priced touch on Wondersobright under Zoe Lily(7) at Plumpton a few years ago. Thought for a few moments that My Silver Cloud was going to repeat the dose today, until Tom Cannon's strength and Paddy Butler's misfortune combined for the inevitable outcome.

Probably the best horse he ever had was Sakr. The problem was that it wasn't very good for him. I remember an interview with Butler in the Weekender nearly 30 years ago, where he was enthusing about this nag called Sakr, which he'd got from D1ck Hern(?) and which was going to put his yard on the map. Unfortunately the horse was a lunatic, and it was only when the Wonnacotts in Devon got hold of it, and realized that the way to ride it was to ignore the starter's instructions and charge the tape that it ran up a sequence of front-running wins on hard ground over hurdles.

Sakr's best victory was one at Newton Abbot, where Pipe/Scudamore had an ex-Irish dark horse called Crofter's Nest, that was supposed to win the race. Sakr was refusing to line up with the rest, so Mr D Wonnacott simply kicked it at a furious gallop towards the tapes and basically frightened the starter into letting them go. He was half a furlong clear by the first flight and never saw another horse. Amazing scenes afterwards as a furious P Scudamore conducted the post-mortem with the Pipe team.
Report Cash Is King April 6, 2015 12:22 AM BST
Mark Hoad another local trainer who, like Paddy Butler, has an extraordinary ability to take charge of an extremely moderate animal and ensure that it regresses under his care. How are these guys able to earn a living and who are the owners that are daft enough to let them train a horse for them?

That said, it was good to see another moderate local trainer (Anna Newton-Smith) make a rare visit to the winner's enclosure today.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves April 6, 2015 9:17 AM BST
Roger Hoad was very shrewd.
Report wondersobright April 6, 2015 12:58 PM BST

Apr 5, 2015 -- 10:27AM, screaming from beneaththewaves wrote:

Surprised at a poster called Wondersobright singing the praises of a rider who robs Paddy Butler of his one winner per decade.

doesn't time fly Blush cant believe it is 10 years, got told about the horse for hcap debut in ireland from former colleague of mine who was keen punter too, hadn't thought about the old boy (the horse Laugh) for ages until you mentioned it

Report wondersobright April 6, 2015 1:01 PM BST
hopefully still with us and enjoying his retirement
Report blackbarn April 6, 2015 1:13 PM BST
On the subject of Sussex trainers, anyone know who has bought Gerry Enright's yard?
Report pandora1963 April 6, 2015 2:35 PM BST
best jock riding imo
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com