Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
harry callaghan
29 Nov 14 08:30
| Topic/replies: 6,189 | Blogger: harry callaghan's blog
what was all that about? keeps butting in and is making himself look a right pr1ck

pizzed?
Pause Switch to Standard View Geoff Banks on the morning line
Show More
Report Sportsadvisor November 30, 2014 9:58 PM GMT
Actually I've never had dinner with Simon Clare at York. Rocket Ronnie is making the whole thing up
NAP
Report Sportsadvisor November 30, 2014 10:00 PM GMT
Pablo. I doubt Ruby gets asked too many questions he likes
Report never give up November 30, 2014 10:06 PM GMT
a bookie that hides when theres an odds on chance running
Report Sportsadvisor November 30, 2014 10:20 PM GMT
Hides is a bit rich. I think I pick my battles like any other gambler. Bear in mind not just about laying a world hurdle winner- who beat Annie Power giving 7 pounds at 1/2 - but the ppossibility of laying the second favourite each way
capiche?
Report EVILROYSLADE December 1, 2014 6:07 AM GMT
Thoroughly enjoyed the programme!
Report Facts December 1, 2014 9:46 AM GMT
portmanpark     30 Nov 14 19:00 
sportsadvisor.....didnt take you long to way up facts......well done

* weigh

thicko.
Report Facts December 1, 2014 9:49 AM GMT
Sportsadvisor     30 Nov 14 22:20 
Hides is a bit rich. I think I pick my battles like any other gambler. Bear in mind not just about laying a world hurdle winner- who beat Annie Power giving 7 pounds at 1/2 - but the ppossibility of laying the second favourite each way
capiche?

Yep. A Delboy type saying, just shows you for the classless  prat you really are
Report geoff m December 1, 2014 10:31 AM GMT
Geoff what was the crack with your dad/ Francome  and that Fred Winter hurdler of which I cant quite recall its name many moons ago.
Enjoyed the show on sat you certainly livened it up a bit.
Ruby was seething but the selling platecomment was antagonist to say the least
Report EVILROYSLADE December 1, 2014 10:37 AM GMT
The horse was called (would you believe) STOPPED!
Report Sportsadvisor December 1, 2014 10:50 AM GMT
Thanks Roy and Geoff - you know there really isn't a 'selling plate' at the Festival :)

FACTS - troll someone else eh - you've become a little sad. I understand the internet has given you a platform to spout unpleasantness anonymously to whoever, but it really doesn't make you more of a man because you've discovered it.
Report EVILROYSLADE December 1, 2014 10:53 AM GMT
Wink
Report cj180 December 1, 2014 10:57 AM GMT
Ruby Walsh knows that mares race is third rate otherwise he wouldn't have bitten. Good job he hadn't run up a sequence in that cross country dog heat!
Report portmanpark December 1, 2014 10:58 AM GMT
sportsadvisor........facts is about 70 and sports a ponytail.........so dont be too harsh on him
Report paulie wallnuts December 1, 2014 11:01 AM GMT
I must say that in fairness to Banks.....hes coming on here and not hiding his identity so hes a cockshot for anybody who cares to take a pop at him.....without relieving their mask.....
He may not be everyones cup of tea but that statement could be applied to most people.....likewise Walsh isn't either....does he bring anything to the table?.....id say yes.....would I rather listen to him than listen to Mick Fitzgerald and any one of them bookies PR's.....id say yes......
Theres lots of jealousy floating here on this thread......and I for one think he brightened the show up.....maybe it was about time that somebody with no manner was given something to think about......far too many over the years have bowed down to him...and when somebody gave him a bit of stick....he wasn't able to hand it as well as when he gives it.....
Report kavvie December 1, 2014 11:06 AM GMT
murphys dog   he can give it but he cant take it!!   having said that hes the best nh jockey ever.
Report portmanpark December 1, 2014 11:07 AM GMT
thought it was the best ML in years but sportsadvisor you did come across as a bit of a tit......calling quevega the winner of a selling race.........wrong about denman..........it was placed in 2 gold cups after his hennessey win but i did like the jim best quip.....but you did shake things up..........where you let yourself down badly when flashing those 50s a few weeks ago.............having said that i hope your back on next week
Report paulie wallnuts December 1, 2014 11:12 AM GMT
Yes kavvie but he wont be a jockey forever....he is lucky enough to be in a position of vitality to lots of people....he is the man to go to when you need a top rider......everybody would like him on their horse.....
If he carries on this way when he retires and takes up training.....I cant see too many owners wanting to put up with the attitude that he has now....there may be only one Ruby when it comes to riding them but there will be plenty Ruby's when it comes to training them....
Report Sportsadvisor December 1, 2014 11:13 AM GMT
Thanks Paulie. Doesn't matter if everyone agrees does it? - main issue is to get things discussed and to entertain. Isn't that the point of telly? Surely we can all sit there and say 'what's your best horse' but that's been done, and its more than a bit dull- and i hear people everywhere asking for more than that.
Report Facts December 1, 2014 11:14 AM GMT
Sportsadvisor     01 Dec 14 10:50 
Thanks Roy and Geoff - you know there really isn't a 'selling plate' at the Festival :)

FACTS - troll someone else eh - you've become a little sad. I understand the internet has given you a platform to spout unpleasantness anonymously to whoever, but it really doesn't make you more of a man because you've discovered it.

Not sad at all. And keep your patronising platitudes to yourself there's a nice chappie.The TV has certainly given you a platform to spout your crap though, hasn't it ?
Report paulie wallnuts December 1, 2014 11:24 AM GMT
Quite right sportsadvisor.....people looking at the morning line don't give 2 fukks whether kauto star was the best horse he ever rode.....or whether Quevega was the best mare he ever rode.....they were looking for pointers for the racing on the day.....its supposed to be a show relating to that days racing.....
I don't know sports advisor ....and most on here would be in the same boat.....but hes far from being the worst character on a racing show.....Personally when Mick Fitz Enzo Cattermole come on..... I get a feeling of nausea and go straight for the mute button...
Report chelsea girl December 1, 2014 11:44 AM GMT
Great thread:

Think Geoff was too young to know much about the STOPPED

shenanigans with Francome. Wink
Report Sportsadvisor December 1, 2014 11:49 AM GMT
I know all about it - and the truth of that case was that there wasn't anything in it at all.
Report stewarty b December 1, 2014 12:00 PM GMT
Is this the same G.Banks that takes bets on the rails with a maximum takeout of 5K?
Report Facts December 1, 2014 12:28 PM GMT
With an ego the size of a planet
Report stewarty b December 1, 2014 1:13 PM GMT
If it hadn't been in the studio Ruby may have stuck one on his chin. (nap)
Report buddeliea December 1, 2014 5:09 PM GMT
paulie wallnuts
     01 Dec 14 11:01
I must say that in fairness to Banks.....hes coming on here and not hiding his identity so hes a cockshot for anybody who cares to take a pop at him.....without relieving their mask.....
He may not be everyones cup of tea but that statement could be applied to most people.....likewise Walsh isn't either....does he bring anything to the table?.....id say yes.....would I rather listen to him than listen to Mick Fitzgerald and any one of them bookies PR's.....id say yes......
Theres lots of jealousy floating here on this thread......and I for one think he brightened the show up.....maybe it was about time that somebody with no manner was given something to think about......far too many over the years have bowed down to him...and when somebody gave him a bit of stick....he wasn't able to hand it as well as when he gives it.....

Could not have put it better myself....sums it up for me.
Report stewarty b December 1, 2014 5:15 PM GMT
Thanks Geoff.
Report Sportsadvisor December 1, 2014 5:50 PM GMT
Pleasure Stewarty. No I don't have a mximum takeout btw- stood one for 40 grand on course on Friday. It was a price of course, but does give you serious pause
Report stewarty b December 1, 2014 6:07 PM GMT
Good luck to you Geoff, if you are who you say you are. John Banks was laying bets like that 30 years ago when Stephen Little was on the go. So you don't have a maximum 5K pay out?
Report portmanpark December 1, 2014 6:29 PM GMT
stewarty b...........the man layed one for 40k............what part of that is tripping you up
Report stewarty b December 1, 2014 6:41 PM GMT
Just if the poster is genuine.
Report 1st time poster December 1, 2014 7:15 PM GMT
you couldnt make it up people spend the 1st 100 or so posts on this thread in the main attacking sycophant ch 4 interviewers,then a d or e list celeb pops up and the next 100 posts facts aside start sniveling around sed d list celeb,
the truth banks is your summing up of  2 of the main races of the day was pathetic in the extreme a man who,d never seen a horse race before couldnt have got the races more wrong,
in the bar whilst every bookie on track was laying the life out of MOT , and standing in the ring laying the life out of irving when you should of been in the bar, LaughLaughLaugh
Report holywell December 1, 2014 7:34 PM GMT
Geoff Banks isn't a celebrity, he's a bookmaker who can string a sentence together hence when Channel 4 or a racing channel wants a bookmakers opinion they call on Mr Banks. He's similar to Graeme Cunningham a good 'airtime filler'.
Report mmmalushka December 1, 2014 7:34 PM GMT
http://simonnottracing.wordpress.com/
Its all in the above,including photographic evidence of the generosity of the hillbilly outfit.
Report portmanpark December 1, 2014 7:40 PM GMT
ist time poster........dont think geoff  should take your comments to heart.........you hate everybody
Report 1st time poster December 1, 2014 7:51 PM GMT
you lot bleat on every week about cutting out the chit chat and concentrate on previewing the days races on that score banks scored a great big fat 0 out of ten
Report ronnie rails December 1, 2014 9:07 PM GMT
jeff

about the post re me making it up

I was in picollinos one early evening at York I had dinner by myself as I was meeting friends later on, I had pasta and a bottle of wine, after I finished my main the waitress asked if I wanted my usual dessert (a Gaelic coffee) and I said I would think about it as I still had some wine left but told her I would sit in the bar as people were waiting to be sat at tables for dinner.

You and your staff were sat there and Simon walked in and you were talking to him, I never said you had dinner with him.

I am no liar.
Report sofiakenny December 1, 2014 9:28 PM GMT
crikey ronnie..restaurant grub on a korals wage?Shocked
Report Sportsadvisor December 1, 2014 10:27 PM GMT
thanks for the entertainment lads
Report Sportsadvisor December 1, 2014 10:41 PM GMT
Ronnie, if you knew me, you'd be capable of spelling my name. By the by, you haven't covered yourself in glory on here by acting in such a childish manner
Report dunlaying December 1, 2014 10:54 PM GMT
Full stop.
Report chavman December 1, 2014 10:58 PM GMT
well i thought you was great SA.anybody can turn up and play the "gravy train" that all the experts on here moan about.

you made the programme of interest that people still debate about now,so wheres the problem.
Report Facts December 1, 2014 11:11 PM GMT
Sportsadvisor     01 Dec 14 22:27 
thanks for the entertainment lads

Oh so glad the ' lads ' provided you with entertainment.
Your condescending arrogance is beyond belief.

'
Report chavman December 1, 2014 11:14 PM GMT
and yours precedes it along with your self edifying egotistical belief that we have a care of your opinion
Report aberdonia December 1, 2014 11:17 PM GMT
Geoff, you did not answer.

Are you going to be on The Morning Line on a more regular basis?
Report chavman December 1, 2014 11:18 PM GMT
the public demand it SA
Report Sportsadvisor December 2, 2014 1:35 AM GMT
thanks Chavman, doing a couple over next month, depends on audience feedback I'd suppose.

I doubt if they ask FACTS his opinion, which is their loss..at least I think his name is FACTS.
Report Facts December 2, 2014 4:02 AM GMT
chavman     01 Dec 14 23:14 
and yours precedes it along with your self edifying egotistical belief that we have a care of your opinion

Whereas you can state what the ' public demand''

Which,I'm pretty sure if we polled the ML audience,they wouldn't want the egotistical self edifying arrogant Banks.
Report flash bookie December 2, 2014 7:07 AM GMT
sportsadvisor didn't see last wk's show but seems you have caused a bit of stir which imo can't be a bad thing.surely as  a bookmaker you have to put up; a lay of the day ? call it the "BANKSBUSTER" . surely you put a bit of time into the days televised races I think that is how you will ultimately be judged . as part of the panel it shouldn't be your job to put up winners but a couple of well reasoned lays.
Report Rydal December 2, 2014 9:29 AM GMT
I am getting really worried. Geoff hasn't posted nice things about himself and people who say they like him for nearly eight hours. I do hope he isn't seriously ill Scared
Report sparrow December 2, 2014 9:39 AM GMT
You seem to be of a very caring nature.
Report Carrera32 December 2, 2014 9:46 AM GMT
Can remember when Big Mac used to put up a Lay Of The Day. They were the ones to back! He was rubbish.
Report duncan idaho December 2, 2014 9:55 AM GMT
you sure Big Mac put up Lay of the Day? dont remember that and sounds unlikely...they used to have Barry's Bismarck
Report Carrera32 December 2, 2014 9:56 AM GMT
It was replaced by Barry's Bismark.
Report chavman December 2, 2014 9:59 AM GMT
i remember flash putting one up once,which did win.as one of the majority pitch holders in the country perhaps he should put more up
Report ladycarla December 2, 2014 10:00 AM GMT
Thought it was the best ML for ages, ok Mr banks made a few mistakes but hey ho life is about learning and I'm sure he will, be a shame if they don't have him back on because he brings something what's been missing to the show. There's alot of tv presenters which I thought were awful when they first started but now are actually quite good at their job.
Report Magic__Daps December 2, 2014 10:07 AM GMT
Anyone willing to speak a bit of truth is better than Fitzy et al, I said already he came across as trying too hard to be controversial on Saturdays programme, but would rather have him than most of the 'gravy train brigade' that has got airtime over the years.

Can I advise you to at least stick the knife in to some of the decisions made by our useless governing body please. You will then go up in a lot of peoples estimation (imo of course).
Report flash bookie December 2, 2014 10:33 AM GMT
chavman,i have spoken to mr banks on a number of occasions but can't say I know him particularly well.what I can say for the record is this I know barry dennis much better and hiss success on his bismarcs was pretty high imo. iknow when barry is on the racecourse he has an opinion and sticks it up the ones he doesn't fancy.for my part I am pretty conventional/old fashioned stand the front 2 and hope/pray.however there are usually one or 2 horses on any particular day that I call the jokers. I will stand these for 3 or 4 times what I normaly stand the front two for in a conventional book of mine.makes me chuckle when I read some posts on here that bookmakers have every bet they take back on the exchanges just isn't true I am afraid; well not in the case of the bookies I know well.in my experience{28yrs]the only way to get any real money bookmaking is to have big bogeys coming up for nothing you get nothing;fact.anyway that will be how I judge mr banks on the morning line putting up 1 or 2 well reasoned lays each week then all can judge his expertise .
Report chavman December 2, 2014 10:40 AM GMT
this bookie fraternity very competitive int they Grin
Report Dr Gonzo December 2, 2014 11:14 AM GMT
I thought he tried a bit too hard to be controversial at times, but at least it made for better viewing than the usual fence-sitting, and the tedious questions to the jockey ("What's the best horse you've ever ridden" etc etc). I don't always agree with what Geoff has to say on Twitter etc (or the manner in which he does so at times) but at least he's someone willing to have an opinion. I wouldn't object to having him on TML again.

Either way, he was certainly more interesting than Tom Segal who added nothing to proceedings.
Report allpoints December 2, 2014 12:04 PM GMT
Flash
How right you are about standing them.Despite what many think on here there's still plenty of us who do bet to an opinion & do stand them.Fair enough I may only be a fiddler but as you say,the ones I don't fancy I'll stand for more,simarly if I fancy one I'll just duck it.Last Saturday for example at Newcastle.First race didn't fancy the winner,stood it for a few hundred,Fighting Fifth again thought we could get the thin un beat but of course that won.However not detered I didn't fancy that Broadway thing,stood it & got that beat.In the last got stuck into the fav.got it beat but went with the winner so despite being wrong two races out of four there was still a nice profit.If I'd messed about trying to make a book I'd have got nowt.
At the points which I love I'm betting to an opinion every race (no exchange to fall back on for those who don't like standing them).I stand them for far more at this game than I do at the races & I love it,proper bookmaking.
Report flash bookie December 2, 2014 12:16 PM GMT
allpoints, fair play to you; you sound like a man after my own heart. I stood at the dogs for 23yrs; 5 nites a wk majority of that time. and was put in the river [one stuck right up me] 5 0r 6 times a night and over time the worst books I had were always the most profitable.also I find it not much fun watching a race unless I got a biggish bogey. some mite find that bizarre but thats how I like to play.i enjoy the danger and the nip your cheeks buzz .
Report nc December 2, 2014 12:44 PM GMT
Hope Banks not on again
We dont need one dimensional bookies like Banks or Clare on the show.

We need a Big MAC type figure..someone who champions for the punter..not a 1 sided Bookie
Report holywell December 2, 2014 12:55 PM GMT
nc,

In the early days Mac used to be on the punters side, but, I'm afraid as with the rest of the horseracing media he decided life was much better riding on that comfortable 'gravy train'.
Report portmanpark December 2, 2014 12:56 PM GMT
didnt mac do adverts for the magic sign
Report Sportsadvisor December 2, 2014 4:57 PM GMT
Mac - and the Magic Sign? That's a vicious rumour - withdraw that remark Sir..
Report flash bookie December 2, 2014 5:14 PM GMT
geof are you going to put up "the bankbuster " or something similar nxt time your on ?
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD December 2, 2014 5:26 PM GMT
Fair play flash ain't many like you left who take an opinion.
Report throwthetellyoutawindow December 2, 2014 7:37 PM GMT
Last i heard of Geoff Banks was an article in the Daily Telegraph,and he was having a pop at the racing establishment telling it like it is,and his appearance on Saturday's Morning Line only enhanced my opinion of him.

Hope he's on again soon but will they be brave enough? we need more honest debate or the game will die a slow and painful one.
Report Sportsadvisor December 2, 2014 8:04 PM GMT
kind comments - appreciated. Think you need to give credit to ch4 - could you see it happening on ATR?
Report halcyon days December 2, 2014 8:35 PM GMT
Geoff, good evening.

Off on a tangent, would say your Dad asking J F for information on F W's horses' ground preferences could be classed as inside information ?....
Report EVILROYSLADE December 2, 2014 9:12 PM GMT
Ruby cares not one little bit about anything other than Ruby. Quite clear when asked previously about the punter and his role in racing.He looks upon the likes of us with nothing but contempt. No doubt he takes the moral highground when confronted by a bookie with a view. Racing would NOT exist without ALL its components. We all matter! Best morning line in a long time. Why? The thread speaks volumes!! Hope GB is on again soon. We will all be watching, GUARANTEED.
Report foxy December 2, 2014 9:17 PM GMT
an accurate description of ruby mr slade.
Report EVILROYSLADE December 2, 2014 9:20 PM GMT
Always found him to be a very arrogant man Foxy.
Report portmanpark December 2, 2014 9:25 PM GMT
heard ruby once say that about the punter........had nothing but contempt for us punters
Report foxy December 2, 2014 9:32 PM GMT
I think he is like his dad he will like irish punters.
Report betilyerded December 2, 2014 9:50 PM GMT
I dont get this at all.

I dont know Geoff Banks and have no axe to grind with him but he contributed nothing to the morning line other than making ridiculous comments to draw attention to himself and/or wind Ruby Walsh up. And lets not pretend if it wasnt some other jockey he wouldnt have got the same treatment as it wouldnt have mattered as long as he was centre of attention. If its controversy you want get Emma to present in nothing but a pair of thigh length boots.

Plenty of comparisons made with Mc Crirrick who could be just as cringe-worthy when trying to wind guest trainers/jockeys up on the show. Its fair to say he contributed more to the show and in his prime offered more than Geoff Banks possibly could but if thats the reason he's started appearing on the show then they will just end up going full circle.

It all depends on what you watch the morning line for. For the record I thought the show was at its best when McCrirricks appearances were less frequent but Francome, Plunkett, Catermole et al were still on. Nick Luck is a good presenter, Graham Cunningham talks sense and Ive even started warming to Tanya after all these years but Fitzgerald just gets on my knockers and Id rather drink a pint of my own phlegm than listen to Richi " can you put into words just what it felt like " Persad. Claire Balding should be burried alive.

Anyway thats my thoughts, dark and perverse as they are...
Report CheltenhamRoar December 2, 2014 9:51 PM GMT
The arsé licking towards banks,unbelievable Tongue OutTongue Out
Report parispike December 2, 2014 9:55 PM GMT
Some on here need to get real.

I'm a fierce critic of the many gravy train fence sitters that alas populate the racing media circus (check my postings re Lee, Fitzgerald, et al). In a game that is all about opinions it's unforgivable that some (? most) media observers won't comment adversely about anything unless they are an easy target ( unknown conditional, foreign jockey etc).

Banks was prepared to express a view; given that trait I'm prepared to forgive almost anything else. Surely that's what the game is about? However one has to take what any b/m says with a large pinch of salt. His comments re More of That being an example. To me the race was all about MOT's fitness, if fit he wins; if not he is vulnerable. It's simply not possible to assess this without seeing the horse; it was evident at Newbury that he was far from straight and thus in the former category. Unfortunately I backed Cole Harden! The point is that he was ramping a possibly vulnerable favourite on national TV and as a punter my first instinct is to wonder why he'd do that...

If I had to offer some hopefully constructive criticism it would be for him not to look for controversy; it'll find you and you're response will be more genuine and less contrived.
Report Arklearkle December 2, 2014 9:56 PM GMT
Yes Chelt it is unbelievable. The last thing the ML needs is a smartass trying to be well smart. If people want to watch that type of person there are plenty of other non-racing programmes available. The ML should be about the days racing.
Report foxy December 2, 2014 9:56 PM GMT
plunkett ffs she has to be the worst ever not including fitz.
Report aberdonia December 2, 2014 11:23 PM GMT
She has a face for radio does Alice.
Report Sportsadvisor December 3, 2014 9:32 AM GMT
Halcyon - I suppose that would be inside information - but times have moved on - want to know what a jockey or trainer thinks now? Read the Betfair columns.. or watch the shows on exchanges
Sport has never been more transparent

And to those who discuss my views, or Ruby's for that matter- I'm not sure it matters nor is it in any way guaranteed we will all share the same views (except to say I detest FOBT's- not many wld disagree there!)

I think it's got to be a good thing when the debate is perky

Finally to those who ask was I deliberately courting controversy by asking about Denman or Quevega. I think the fact there's even that view shows how rarely matters are publicly questioned. I certainly didn't set out to 'be different' i merely asked the questions so many would want to know rather than to ask 'what's the best horse you've ridden' - I mean frankly who cares about such questions

thanks to the sensibles on here for their feedback- now give it to ch4 on twitter. They need to know what people want to see and hear. They want more viewers and the show deserves it - even if we don't all agree who should be on the screen - even me!¬
Report halcyon days December 3, 2014 9:37 AM GMT
Fair play Geoff.... knowing the ''legend'' of your Pa; I'm sure he made a few quid !

Looking forward to your forthcoming appearances .
Report betilyerded December 3, 2014 9:40 AM GMT
Yeah, fair enough, scrub the Plunkett comment. Got her mixed up with Alastair Down Grin. My point is that it was a pretty good format with different personalities presenting and a range of panelists so if it didnt suit your taste one week then it was likely to be a different mix the following week. Now we are stuck with the same bunch, week in week out.

I'd also like to take a dump on that bloody touch screen thing that never works. Pah!

Hey Aberdonia, is that not a youthful Willie Miller staring back at me? Real Madrid, Gothenburg, 1983, jumpers for goalposts. Those were the days. Do you stay up in the granite city or have you migrated away?
Ive found myself in deepest Deeside. A yorkshireman in Aboyne. How did that happen??
Report Carrera32 December 3, 2014 9:49 AM GMT
Agree with parispike above about MOTs fitness, but what gets me is jimbos comments. He didn't start spouting off about Jonjo's stable form, tongue strap, MOT's Wetherby withdrawal until the big drift started. He had the opportunity to discuss this side on the ML but didn't.
Report TheNorfolkMafia December 3, 2014 9:56 AM GMT
Why don't they have the 'flash bookie' on Channel 4 Racing?

The ratings would go through the roof!

Love
Report holywell December 3, 2014 10:03 AM GMT
Whoever channel 4 decide will be on the show it won't please everyone.

There highest viewing figures would have been when Mac, Tommo, Francome, Mcgrath and grahame were the presenters. Because of these personalities the programme was viewed by many as 'entertainment' rather than a serious horseracing programme. As I've said before on here there were people I knew who had no interest in racing used to watch The Morning Line when the above guys were presenting because it was fun.

The programmes format and the individuals became 'tired' to me and needed changing.

I stopped watching the programme shortly after the changes were made, listening to Cunningham etal fawning over trainers and jockeys was embarrassing. Paul Nicholl's was on the programme when he had a horse running against Sprinter Sacre, Graeme selected Nicholl's horse to beat Sprinter, even Nicholl's looked bemused.

If it was up to me I would look to have presenters on the programme who 'had something about them' like Mr Banks and provide the viewers with entertainment as well as reviewing the days big race / s in depth.

Of course there will be many who want a serious horseracing programme and that fine it's all about opinion.
Report holywell December 3, 2014 10:05 AM GMT
*that's fine, it's all about opinion.
Report portmanpark December 3, 2014 10:43 AM GMT
carrera32.........jim wasnt on the ML
Report Facts December 3, 2014 11:28 AM GMT
Holywell

I have no interest in football. And I certainly wouldn't watch such a related programme just to be entertained by pundits personalities !

I watch ML for the horseracing interest. Geoff Banks spoiled his appearance on ML by his ' quips'. But as he stated earlier he hates fobt's, and  I've watched him articulate this aspect and other topics, like tipping services,handicapping, betting etc on the YouTube BetRacingNation  episodes. And he's been excellent. If the ML adopted more of this type of discussion into its format it would be a big improvement imo.
'
Report holywell December 3, 2014 11:40 AM GMT
Yes Facts,

As I said everyone will have their own opinions about the format of the programme and the presenters.
Report portmanpark December 3, 2014 11:44 AM GMT
surely more people will watch if geoff is on the show this week
Report portmanpark December 3, 2014 11:45 AM GMT
i would reunite him with big mac.......always thought barrys bismark should have been kept as part of the show
Report Hound-Dog-2 December 3, 2014 12:15 PM GMT
"Plenty of comparisons made with Mc Crirrick who could be just as cringe-worthy when trying to wind guest trainers/jockeys up on the show. "

Geoff did make the show a lot more interesting, I usually watch it now out of habit more than anything else, but they do seem to be getting the format right.  And next time they have Geoff on the show, don't wait until the last minute to really wind somebody up !!!

Agree barrys bismark should have been kept as part of the show, and also starting to warm to Richi as well especially when he is presenting the show, but don't keep asking jockeys if this is the best horse they have ever ridden, and "Can you put into words how you are feeling now ?" after they have just ridden a big race winner.

From the ones that went I think Francome was probably the biggest loss.  But I do like Jimbo and Cunningham, Fitz is ok sometimes, Nick Luck is a very good presenter (impression of him shot up after that Stoute interview).  Clare Balding is very professional, but I don't think it's good for the rest of the team to have a presenter who only comes in for the big meetings.  Should have Tanya and Lee together, but not Tanya on her own. And Segal should be a regualr on the team.

But as already mentioned on here, everyone has their opinions, but I do think they are getting the show right and a lot more watchable.  But they do need 1 or 2 strong personalities on the team, and last week's ML was a lot better.
Report portmanpark December 3, 2014 12:36 PM GMT
hound dog...........i agree about richi.........i really like him...........think he is the best liked by all the other presenters.. some you can see dont really like each other but think richi is liked by all......cant see why people hate him so much....maybe they have a problem with the colour of his skin
Report spyker December 3, 2014 12:40 PM GMT
surely more people will watch if geoff is on the show this week

Why? Nobody watches it now and just because some bookie that nobody outside the game and not that many under 50 (because of his dad) inside have heard of annoys the guests, to be different, isn't going to change that. Mind you the social media monkeys at ch4 that waste their lives monitoring these things will love this thread and are probably helping draw up the contract now!
Report Sportsadvisor December 3, 2014 1:56 PM GMT
you think anybody reads this thread other than anoraks? That made me laugh. Nobody takes 'anonymous forums' seriously. Its a lot like people driving their cars- outside they're polite and nice- behind the wheel - jackasses :)
Report EVILROYSLADE December 3, 2014 2:10 PM GMT
Very true Sports! I have had threats from people on here that have no idea who I am! Not that I am anything special by any means. Truth is though, I am far worse than my Forum name would suggest! Big with it to. LaughLaughLaughLaughWinkDevil
Report Sportsadvisor December 3, 2014 3:07 PM GMT
it's not helpful. Some take the opportunity just to be nasty for no good reason. I prefer twitter- most folk identify themselves- QED more polite
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com