Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
saxon farm
07 Jun 14 16:16
| Topic/replies: 2,889 | Blogger: saxon farm's blog
Methinks, a vintage year.
I, lost money.
Pause Switch to Standard View A very good Derby
Show More
Report saxon farm June 7, 2014 4:20 PM BST
7 lengths quicker than the Coronation.
Report sixtwosix June 7, 2014 4:26 PM BST
Two very good horses , clear of the 3rd who was clear of the 4th.

Most of the field never got a look in . Two pacemakers taken on by Kingston Hill and then Australia , none of the others ever in with a chance.

Kingston Hill ran a superb race having had to work hard to ensure he wasn't boxed in.

Thoroughly enjoyed this years race , there have been some very average renewals in recent years.
Report saxon farm June 7, 2014 4:28 PM BST
Hope the winner now goes to KG at Ascot, Leopardstown & then The Arc.
Report casemoney June 7, 2014 4:34 PM BST
Agree...
Report Busvaldo June 7, 2014 4:36 PM BST
Kingston Hill needed more cut,Australia was outstanding as breeding would suggest.
Report saxon farm June 7, 2014 4:37 PM BST
sixtwosix, agree ostensibly with most of that.

At least it was a true run race & with respect, none of the others could have serious hard luck stories.

The argie bargie between Westen Hymn & Fascinating Rock, was inconsequential
Report saxon farm June 7, 2014 4:47 PM BST
Being old fashioned or nostalgic, I enjoy it all the more when Guineas form is ehanced again & again!
Report the bloob June 7, 2014 4:55 PM BST
1.2 seconds faster than Cirrus des Aigles, but I don't think that race was run at a true pace. Still a very good performance given that Australia would have got a significant weight allowance had they ran against each other. Had they been in the same race then Australia wins easily. Definitely a decent Derby, let's see over the next few months what happens
Report duffy June 7, 2014 4:57 PM BST
like to see the winner in a strongly run end to end 12f race before deciding just how good he is at this particular trip.
Report FELTFAIR June 7, 2014 6:12 PM BST
There are no bad Derbys just some are better than others. This one falls in the "better" category.

Reminded me a little of Nijinsky`s Derby when he beat Gyr who the French thought had a serious chance but couldn`t cope with the class of Nijinsky.

Let`s hope Kingston Hill gets some winning opportunities this year.
Report saxon farm June 7, 2014 7:06 PM BST
Well said FELTFAIR; but not quite!

At least Kingston Hill chased down Ausralia at Newmarket. (forgive my ignorance), I have no idea what happened to Gyr after the 1970 Derby.

I have never seen a bad Epsom Derby, but have witnessed several poor renewals.

Today's was a very good one.
Report Marcus Cicero June 7, 2014 7:22 PM BST
More to the point the English 2000 Guineas form looks the best Group 1 form out there. Night of Thunder in the St James Palace anyone?
Report Swardean June 7, 2014 7:26 PM BST
It's all speculation until the end of the season or at least until they take on the older horses, will reserve judgement until then.
Report verbotene liebe June 7, 2014 7:33 PM BST
From a perspective of having a stonewall solid form look to it,this takes some beating.

1 Troy Irish Derby, King George, B&H.
2 Dickens Hill Eclipse
3 Northern Baby Champion Stakes
4 Ela Mana Mou Eclipse, King George (following year)
5 Lyphards Wish Good solid horse, had won the Dante, and turned over Tromos in the Craven
6 Hardgreen Think was Stoute's first runner ?? In the Gordon White(Ever Ready) colours.
Report Ramruma June 7, 2014 7:34 PM BST
A very good Derby, and I'd taken the 6/1 last September. And yet there was something wrong; somehow the Derby did not seem as special or plain enjoyable as it should. I think it was probably that the build-up was focussed not on the horses but on the weather, and perhaps partly that Australia's status as short-priced winter favourite was based not on the formbook but on Aidan O'Brien's confidence, and rumours of gallops that really were "fast enough for a July Cup".
Report Happy Valley June 7, 2014 7:36 PM BST
a very good derby, no question, the runner-up would have won in most years
Report Swardean June 7, 2014 7:51 PM BST
To play devils advocate, 95 rated horse in 5th?
Report saxon farm June 7, 2014 8:26 PM BST
I just think that it's great to see The Derby respected again.

The race started to go down "the toilet" after the move to a Saturday. (a complete dumbing down)

Derby Day on a Wednesday used to be an occasion for  a "what you can get away with day", all sorts went on, but no casualties.

Back to honest toil on Thursday, Great memories!!!
Report the bloob June 7, 2014 8:38 PM BST
Swardean, I would guess that Red Galileo will now be rated a fair bit higher than 95, horses at this age are improving all the time.
Report bigmart June 7, 2014 8:40 PM BST
just for a few strides it looked a bit green , as trainer said still a baby , it will improve
with racing , i done the f/c , was originally going heavy on the 2nd but the rains never arrived , if they had the runner up wd have won ! i know ghost will be sick as he had some nice bets on the runner up at fancy prices , !
Report Howdi June 7, 2014 8:43 PM BST
A very good Derby, and I'd taken the 6/1 last September. And yet there was something wrong; somehow the Derby did not seem as special or plain enjoyable as it should. I think it was probably that the build-up was focussed not on the horses but on the weather, and perhaps partly that Australia's status as short-priced winter favourite was based not on the formbook but on Aidan O'Brien's confidence, and rumours of gallops that really were "fast enough for a July Cup".
Mischief
get this up on the aftertimer thread
Report saxon farm June 7, 2014 9:03 PM BST
Swardean, the bloob.

This is all obvious to the man in the street!

The trainer has stated that Australia is the best he has had in his custody.

In my opinion, Australia will win twice more this season,  but will be beat once as well.
Report Ramruma June 7, 2014 9:04 PM BST
@Howdi -- lol but the point is that I'm not talking through my pocket when I say there was something missing.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com