Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
pandora1963
19 May 14 17:43
| Topic/replies: 23,039 | Blogger: pandora1963's blog
certainly not saying all here because there are some decent ones,but some of them are the most ignorant ,  lazy pigs i have ever come across....good manners and saying hello back when you say hello to them is beyond them
Pause Switch to Standard View "some" betting shop staff
Show More
Report 11kv May 19, 2014 5:44 PM BST
u talking about Rory .........Devil
Report bannahan May 19, 2014 5:45 PM BST
Understand your point but there job is as thankless as a job can get imo.

I agree to a point, but in fairness they do get flogged for very little.
Report townley May 19, 2014 5:49 PM BST
theres a big fatun in the local laddies,she wouldnt be anymore miserable if she had a mouthful of wasps,ive often wondered who interviewed her and decided,yes your just what we need
Report siralex May 19, 2014 5:51 PM BST
I would love to know how these limit your losses on machines works. I have just stood in lad roles and watched a bloke put in 10, yes 10 lots of £100 on his card at the counter and not stopped or spoken to once. He simply played £100 a spin, lost almost every time and then went to the counter approximately every 30 seconds to top up. Probably the worst cAse I have ever seen and nothing said yet I can only get on at sp.
Report Compensation Year May 19, 2014 5:53 PM BST
Correct. However there are plenty of jobs about that are none too exciting and poorly paid to boot, but there is surely no excuse for rudeness - but that's what you get from a minority of betting shop staff.
Report Big_Issue May 19, 2014 6:25 PM BST
If you want £20 on a horse bigger than 2/1 they look at you like you are some kind of leper and no please/thanks whatsoever. They seem to have been brainwashed to think anybody having any kind of single bet as 'dodgy' and not to be trusted. Make you feel about as welcome as a pork pie seller at a bahmitzvah.
Report mrbookie69 May 19, 2014 6:38 PM BST
The only training the recieve nowadays is on those gaming machines, they dont know what major sporting events are on that day, or week, or coming weeks, they have no clue about there job anymore, they dont even need to settle bets if their comps stop working, Its quite frankly disgusting. I cant think of any other professional job environment where little to no knowledge of their working subject does them no harm in there careers.
Report spellingandgrammarchecker May 19, 2014 6:43 PM BST
I bought my local manageress a bounty ice cream, a packet of Quavers and a
Report spellingandgrammarchecker May 19, 2014 6:45 PM BST
bag of maltesers today. She doesn't really know what she is doing but looks a lot like Anna Friel.
Report Big_Issue May 19, 2014 8:36 PM BST
^ Did you get a **** round the back of the boozer after the shop closed and a couple of large VATS?
Report Cork Langer May 19, 2014 8:47 PM BST
Are you on a mission to fatten her up sagc...?
Report kenilworth May 19, 2014 8:48 PM BST
A bit like bus drivers, railway ticket kiosks and
one or two other service dispensers.
Report San Quentin May 19, 2014 10:49 PM BST
shop staff lol during a previous african nations match i wished to place a bet on DR.CONGO and was asked what race  is it running in lol
Report toffee87 May 19, 2014 10:56 PM BST
I've waited 5 minutes at a counter whilst waiting for the girl to stop texting - I could have interrupted her but I wanted to  see how long it would take if I didn't say anything
Report San Quentin May 19, 2014 10:57 PM BST
how long did it take
Report desperatemunter May 19, 2014 11:04 PM BST

May 19, 2014 -- 10:49PM, San Quentin wrote:

shop staff lol during a previous african nations match i wished to place a bet on DR.CONGO and was asked what race

Report desperatemunter May 19, 2014 11:05 PM BST
this fckn quote thing

May 19, 2014 -- 10:49PM, San Quentin wrote:

shop staff lol during a previous african nations match i wished to place a bet on DR.CONGO and was asked what race

fck off
Report desperatemunter May 19, 2014 11:06 PM BST

May 19, 2014 -- 11:05PM, desperatemunter wrote:

this fckn quote thing

bllx

Report desperatemunter May 19, 2014 11:07 PM BST

May 19, 2014 -- 11:05PM, desperatemunter wrote:

fck off

so i can quote me, but not him?

Report BornToWin May 19, 2014 11:30 PM BST
Sorry munter, but this is great stuff.
Report swampy May 20, 2014 12:31 AM BST
These big companies think they are clever paying the minimum wage.In fact the staff are the clever ones ,as the minimum wage is to high a rate for their ability and interest in their job.
Report hearts1874 May 20, 2014 1:28 AM BST
desperatemunter

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report RBoyd86 May 20, 2014 4:52 AM BST
because its not a specialized job liek it used to be... theyll take on anyone now dont have to no anything bout betting or be interested.. used to get people whod been in the game all there life and loved it.. now you basically get arcade attendants
Report steview84 May 20, 2014 7:36 AM BST
should go in my local freds.
small ginger guy.  takes the bet, captures it (no matter the size of the queue) then hand on the counter to drag the next one in.  makes no eye contact, grunts and is generally a waste of cells.  told me i didnt have an EW winner as there were 8 runners and it finished 3rd, looked at me like i was doing his mother whilst i pointed out that he was incorrect.

the rest of them arent much better, morticia and a chinese lady who stares at you all the time.

the only decent one a geordie blonde Tongue Out

luckily i rarely venture in now, i used to pop in every day after work to have a punt before getting back to the missus.
Report clacton May 20, 2014 8:18 AM BST

May 19, 2014 -- 9:10PM, regvarney wrote:

oi. less of the bus drivers

It's Butler's fault

Report moondan May 20, 2014 8:49 AM BST
Anyone who uses bookmakers deserves exactly what they get.

In general punters are thought to be a lower life form by the bookie and his staff.

Partially brain dead at the very least and when you enter their premises it proves they have a point.
Report Big_Issue May 20, 2014 9:23 AM BST
^ Unlike Betfair where there is no money to bet against if you fancy one and think it will shorten.

A horse I fancy today is 6/1 with the books, I can get currently £8 on here at 7.4 and £6 at 6.6.
Report Big_Issue May 20, 2014 9:27 AM BST
Or the 8/1 shot with the books which has had the mighty sum of £27 traded on it and is under 5.0 on here
Report swift-tuttle May 20, 2014 9:56 AM BST
BigIssue

do you find that the horses you back with the books in the morning end up bigger on here at BFSP?
Report thewrongtrousers May 20, 2014 10:04 AM BST
I have to stick up somewhat for my local shops. It's a small town and 3 bookies (2 too many really but the machines help them) but the staff in each shop are really friendly and helpful. I normally use Hill's as its opposite my local but have used Lads and Cors occasionally and found the same. Maybe it just depends where you live and what sort or area?
Report thewrongtrousers May 20, 2014 10:04 AM BST
I have to stick up somewhat for my local shops. It's a small town and 3 bookies (2 too many really but the machines help them) but the staff in each shop are really friendly and helpful. I normally use Hill's as its opposite my local but have used Lads and Cors occasionally and found the same. Maybe it just depends where you live and what sort or area?
Report Big_Issue May 20, 2014 10:05 AM BST
If only I could second guess that all the time Swift!!

The answer is that you don't know, sometimes yes and sometimes not but it's nice to have an option!!
Report Big_Issue May 20, 2014 10:08 AM BST
My point really was to say that all shop punters are brain dead isn't true.
Report swift-tuttle May 20, 2014 10:09 AM BST
if you back at best odds guaranteed in the shops then the only advantage you have over 'taking a price' is the fact that you are protected if the horse drifts

if the horse does drift - then BFSP will generally be better than the price you end up with
if the horse hardens - you have gained an advantage and you have the option of arbing on here
Report crystalhunt May 20, 2014 10:11 AM BST
The manager of my local Billy's is really nice - she offers me a cup of coffee and a free £5 on the BOT'S. I'm sure she'd get into trouble if they knew.Laugh
Report swift-tuttle May 20, 2014 10:12 AM BST
what would be interesting is a study which would track the prices on here (including in-running) to see if the betting shop early BOG prices are bettered at any stage

obv if the horse loses, they will be because of in-running being included
Report patrick starr May 20, 2014 10:28 AM BST
in what way at all is betting inrunning relevant to betting the earlies with the books? are you advocating if a punter fancies his 8/1 poke he forgoes that and sits here waiting for it to go 8/1 inrunning,when its probably a 20/1 shot due to the 44sec delay? Crazy
Report swift-tuttle May 20, 2014 10:49 AM BST
no I'm suggesting that if he wants a price say 12/1 as opposed to 8/1 BOG offered in  the shops

he should ask for 12/1 on here and include the keep option. I think he woud get his price in the vast majority of cases
Report moondan May 20, 2014 11:30 AM BST
In general if you have much success with a bookie you will be asked to move on, their keep net is full of losers.
Also in general there is not a lot of difference between the price of the favourites but go above say sevens and its starts to get very interesting, go into double figures and it is the norm to be hugely different.

My main argument is, in my experience on betfair I do not have to put all my eggs in one basket and can change my bet certainly up to the last thirty or so seconds of a race.

I have backed horses since 63, I have only been with Betfair for 5 years and the absolute truth is I have never had it so good.

When I see my mates down the pub and by chance we have backed the same animal and they were over the moon to get 14s and I tell them I had various prices from a early 47-1 a later 44-1 and an sp at24s they look at me as if I am mad but I know the insanity is all theirs.
Nothing unusual about the above example ether.
Report Blackrock May 20, 2014 11:40 AM BST
The big bookies decided to pay peanuts and were expecting to attract monkeys [which they obviously have].

They do not want staff with a modicum of intelligence because the bookies are only going to turn the staff into robots.

Plus the fact that the bookies couldnt give a shyte about the security of their staff. No wonder the staff couldnt give a toss who walks through their door or doesnt.
Report San Quentin May 20, 2014 11:45 AM BST
munter you point was?CoolCoolCoolCoolCool
Report Tom May 20, 2014 11:47 AM BST
The staff are treated like animals and hence could not give a ****.

I do remember trying to place a bet in a LB a few weeks ago. It was about 18:58. As I walked in the door locked behind me which I thought was strange. I asked the guy there to phone a bet through. He said nope my shift finishes at 7pm. My cover has not arrived. No chance i am working a minute longer and am off outside for a joint. And people wonder why companies like lads are struggling...
Report San Quentin May 20, 2014 12:11 PM BST
Tom he was right, you get no medals from these lot.(joint excluded)
Report slickster May 20, 2014 12:38 PM BST
God help us when the world cup gets into full swing....
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com