Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Navel-Gazer
14 Mar 14 20:07
| Topic/replies: 6,743 | Blogger: Navel-Gazer's blog
I was a small amount down over the first three days despite many decent priced runners in the money Sad

BUT...I managed to get my head in front right on the wire when 33/1 poke French Opera scrambled home in 5th place (thanks to Bet £3.65) to go with Montbazon 25/1 & Deputy Dan 16/1 in a £1 E/W L15 which got me over £500 Happy

Annoyingly, the one that cost me well over £4K was Virak 25/1 which was 6th Cry It was miles behind the principals but 5th place would've done and it was only a length behind Sad
Why didn't the tool on the 5th horse weigh in a few pounds light?
That £4K would've been my biggest EVER win Sad

Can't win 'em all I suppose but to rub it in, I had Thomas Crapper (in the same race) in another £1 E/W L15 with Pearlysteps which just got me a little more than my stake back Sad

Bet £3.65 get some stick on here but they even went 4th place on the Foxhunters in which I backed (Pearlysteps 12/1) as well as fifth place in the County, Martin Pipe & Grand Annual - that's some offer as well as them matching the best prices from 10:30am - and they're guaranteed too!
I've had the cowardly treatment from the usual suspects and been limited after paltry £200 wins but I've never had any grief from them - Virak in 5th would've probably closed my account but for a £3.5K difference I could've lived with that.

Like many, I rarely pick winners at the meeting as I like an outsider although Whisper 20/1 & Taquin Du Seuil 8/1 helped minimise the initial losses - places are the way to go in my view even though many scoff at that.

No wonder so many find it hard to get a return when they're backing singles AND on the hooter as well!
It's madness not to be taking advantage of some of the superb terms that are available...learn a lesson for next year (or Royal Ascot) and start listening to Uncle John Grin
Pause Switch to Standard View So How Did You All Do Over The Four...
Show More
Report FELTFAIR March 14, 2014 7:18 PM GMT
Last year couldn`t stop backing winners, this year complete opposite. Luckily I was betting very small so no real damage. Now looking forward to the flat and the 2000 Guineas first stop.
Report barstool March 14, 2014 7:22 PM GMT
Nice to see someone winning, well done. I was up until yesterday but have not touched a T1t today. Down about £500
Report SlippyBlue March 14, 2014 7:26 PM GMT
I've ended up exactly levels. I didn't have many bets and if Champagne Fever had have hung on I would have been in front. Sire De Grugny and Dynaste were the key to escaping a bit of a m
Report Colldogg March 14, 2014 7:27 PM GMT
Bad year for me, had lots of placed horses in Ballyalton, Champagne Fever, The New One, Pendra, Smad Place, Third Intention, The Giant Bolster and Claret Cloak.

The only winners I got was Faugheen, Balthazar King in a treble with Annie Power which cost me a 4figure sum when she got pipped.

Hoping for much better come Aintree, Punchestown and on to the Flat.
Report SlippyBlue March 14, 2014 7:28 PM GMT
..a bit of a mauling. I did no good on the placepots but no damage done in the end.
Report seaside March 14, 2014 7:28 PM GMT
Won everyday small
Report Colldogg March 14, 2014 7:29 PM GMT
Oh and to top it off on Fred's yes/no coupon I needed Nicholls to train more winners than Henderson for £300 and the luck of Calipto's saddle snapping just about summed my luck up this week.
Report xmoneyx March 14, 2014 7:32 PM GMT
got £170 losses back on a treble fak.lingfield today Tongue OutLaugh
Report Dr Gonzo March 14, 2014 7:36 PM GMT
Actually came out pretty well, despite not getting any doubles or trebles up. Pretty bad first day, ante-post ticket on Jezki aside, , and today not great either, although had a small bet on Don Poli which was a nice bonus. In between was very good though - winners on Faugheen, Whisper, Sire De Grugy, Balthazar King and Dynaste (and More Of This to place).

Champagne Fever hanging on would have made for a very good week.
Report Dr Gonzo March 14, 2014 7:36 PM GMT
More Of That*
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 7:40 PM GMT
Worst ever ante post, about 10 bets and -£800.

I went on tues,Vautour, Champagne Fever, Holywell & Shotgun Paddy. Inches away from a brilliant day but thats horseracing.

weds at home, Red Sherlock, Sam Winner, SDG Love, Katgary & Black Hercules.

thurs went to the track, Wonderful Charm, Fingal & Southfield Theatre, Beneficent, Big Bucks/More Of That, Tatenen/Third Intention & Roberto Goldback.

Fri at home, Guitar Pete/Calipto, Flaxen Flare, Champagne West,Caid Du Berlais & Nexty Sensation.

Did a 10p ew heinz on thursday, 2 winners/6placed and i got 2.3k back.

If the Champagne horses had won or been placed i would be much happier, still about +3k overall.

Also did BG treble, jezki, More Of That and Bobs Worth Cry
Report carrot1960 March 14, 2014 7:40 PM GMT
thought i was looking good for the  hills yes or no then the irish get 6 winners on the last daySad
Report kevinglass March 14, 2014 7:41 PM GMT
Only backed 1 winner, Jezki, and about 15 losers...!!???.

But managed to just win overall with a bigish bet on Ruby to be top Jockey after the news came through of him going to hospital. Odds went crazy, up to 10 matched, for peanuts, but lots at 4's, 5's & 6's for me.

Very easy to lay off and guarantee a good profit. Lucky I was at the laptop at the right time :-)

Time to start looking at 2015 antepost....
Report Busvaldo March 14, 2014 7:42 PM GMT
Up against it all week,Even yesterday and it all went wrong today.Plain
Report mange March 14, 2014 7:46 PM GMT
Prob at least £150 up.............OK the way that I bet..................allways waiting for the E.W. treb
Report sixtwosix March 14, 2014 7:48 PM GMT
Layed quite a few , some at risky odds , but all lost thankfully .
Report Busvaldo March 14, 2014 7:49 PM GMT
Fair play mange...difficult week for punters!
Report penzance March 14, 2014 7:51 PM GMT
done me boll0x!
Report mange March 14, 2014 7:56 PM GMT
I was lucky to get my Chelt money last Sat + I had antipost (all no good) but the last day U fink......................this is Chelt........................I must go in bigger than usual....................... its not for another yr
Report .Fidway. March 14, 2014 8:07 PM GMT
Tuesday - down 80
Wednesday- up 50
Thursday- down 220
Friday - down 550

So an £800 loss but so unlucky on The New One which would have won me over £500,was also big on Smad Place, Champagne Fever and Silviniaco Conti which I though had it won in between last 2 fences. Also had Ned Buntline, Thomas Crapper and Arctic Fire today which were all 2nd.

Went down to Cheltenham for the 1st 2 days and watched the last 2 days at home. Think that will be the way for me from now on. Last 2 days are poor by comparison.

Roll on next year.
Report ZEALOT March 14, 2014 8:08 PM GMT
£460 lost Scared

I once went blackpool with the mrs n kids for a weekend and i spent £700 ....

I love festival week win or lose .. great times
Report Busvaldo March 14, 2014 8:10 PM GMT
Tops' mate,we go again....Grin
Report .Fidway. March 14, 2014 8:13 PM GMT
p/s Got a phonecall from the missus on the Wednesday telling me I had a letter from the ppi people. A cheque for £1862 was waiting for me on my arrival home ,by the time she got £500 and my losses of £800 I am actually over £500 up for the week.
Report xmoneyx March 14, 2014 8:13 PM GMT
always good to hav a chelt bank,so you know your max loss
Report Navel-Gazer March 14, 2014 8:39 PM GMT
So nobody's hit the jackpot then? Surprised

I'd probably be getting called an after-timing bullshítter if Virak had've scraped fifth place Grin

I recall many years ago when Rooster Booster won the County Hurdle (when it was the last race of the meeting) getting me out of the mire (needing him in the frame but a modest win on him as well) after having been stuffed in virtually every race! Phew! Wink

It's hugely satisfying to play the 'get out of jail free card' on the very last race and for French Opera to have finished FIFTH is a right result!
I probably would've been about £20 down over the meeting which is more than manageable if you've enjoyed all four days.
Report racingguru March 14, 2014 8:40 PM GMT
FELTFAIR - just like you - excellent year last year, couldn't pick my nose this!
Report Navel-Gazer March 14, 2014 8:41 PM GMT
I hate having to rely on picking WINNERS at Cheltenham...as clichéd as it sounds, they're so difficult to find - ones in the frame are hard enough!
Report crystalhunt March 14, 2014 8:55 PM GMT
Permed the bottom 10 horses in all the handicaps ( exacta's). Never got one up. Clearly the better horses do well on the better ground. Have had some good pick ups in the past but mostly on softer ground. Learn something every year.
Report lordi March 14, 2014 9:51 PM GMT
Tues  - Vauteur (win), Vaniteux (ew) and Trifolium (ew)
Wed - O'Faolains Boy (ew)
Thur - Taquin Du Seuil (ew)
Fri - Captain Cutter (ew and Urban Hymn (ew)

Best week I've ever had. I'm exhausted from just watching it all on the telly!
Report Deltâ March 14, 2014 10:03 PM GMT
circa a bag here....
Report chavman March 14, 2014 10:05 PM GMT
Tenner down.last leg on 3 trixies gubbed (champagne fever,Annie power,tap night) which would have put me well up.savello and lake Windermere small e/w singles saved it from being a loss
Report lineuk March 14, 2014 10:12 PM GMT
Couldnt touch a thing all week myself ,,,wife said i was F/ing useless told her to pick 5 horse which she did,
Guitar Pete @ 9/1
Thomas Edison @ 20/1
Deputy Dan @ 16/1                          410.70
Thomas Crapper @ 25/1
French Opera @ 33/1
Trebles, 10  bets * £0.50  EW

Guitar Pete @ 9/1
Thomas Edison @ 20/1
Deputy Dan @ 16/1                           544.89
Thomas Crapper @ 25/1
French Opera @ 33/1
4 Folds, 5  bets * £0.50  EW

Thomas Edison let her down for a £1 E/W Acc

Total £955.59

shut me up
Report chavman March 14, 2014 10:16 PM GMT
The Missus gave me lake Windermere CryLaugh
Report xmoneyx March 14, 2014 10:17 PM GMT
get your wife down to dogtrack lineuk
Report throwthetellyoutawindow March 14, 2014 10:19 PM GMT
Today i backed Calipto !(goin great till saddle went)  Caid du Berlais w/p Montbazon w/p  On His Own @ 38.0 x £50 over a week ago and 5 in last race best of was Claret Cloak.

First three days were bad but On His Own would have pulled me out if he'd got there today.

Time to take a holiday from the horses for me.
Report RockMonkey March 14, 2014 10:27 PM GMT
Finished about £1k up, with 7 winners, but a case of the might have beens. Day 1 most frustrating when Glen's Melody hanging on would have netted £2.1k & Persian Snow being in the 4 would have been about £5k (finished 6th after jumping last vying for 4th).
Plus I won the Forum Telegraph Fantasy League!
Report rufio March 14, 2014 10:30 PM GMT
Tuesday
Irving, Trifolium, Tour Des Champs, Ohio Gold lose.
Big bet on The New One, Glens Melody, Shotgun Paddy unlucky losers imo.
Placepot saves me so small loss on the day.

Wednesday
Faugheen, Balthazar King win.
GMOOH, Katgary 2nds.
Corrin Wood, Sizing Europe and a big bet on Modus lose.
Even for the week at this stage.

Thursday
Taquin in a lucky 15 with Vautour, Annie Power lets it down for a good payout.
Fingal Bay and Dynaste win.
Big  bet on Annie Power 2nd, Indian Castle and Colour Squadron.
Up about £250 for the week.

Friday
Calipto, Never Enough Time, Kings Palace, Bobs Worth, Berties Dream all lose.
Caid du Berlais and Claret Cloak e/w double lands.
Up about £100 for the week.

Could have been a couple of thousand if The New One, GMOOH and Annie Power had won.
Report ReaseHeath March 14, 2014 10:30 PM GMT
lineuk, you need to ask your missus who Pete, Dan and Tom are
Report Deltâ March 14, 2014 10:31 PM GMT
RockMonkey dont tell ....
    ooO{Alpha Centauri}Ooo ...
Report RockMonkey March 14, 2014 10:34 PM GMT
Why not? He set it up didn't he?
Report W11 March 14, 2014 10:37 PM GMT
I lost £1200
Report Deltâ March 14, 2014 10:39 PM GMT
Rock M' gotcha

thought you meant over all

WD
Report Facts March 15, 2014 3:42 AM GMT
8 bets. The two class 1 Handicaps each day.. Level stake win bets only. Two winners , Holywell and Fingal Bay.. Both BOG, 12/1 and 6/1 respectively. = 12 points profit over the 4 days.
Report kpf March 15, 2014 7:36 AM GMT
I do my best punting on Heavy ground so drying ground leaves me with my Cheltenham strategy in tatters

Sire de Grugy and O'Faolains Boy put me in front

Lose on Thursday to square up for the week

Friday am determined  not to lose on the week so take a watching brief

However earlier in the week had seen an interview with Michael O'Leary who recounted last years tally of seconds and thirds

Was reading a thread of a guy who had done his conkers and was asking for advice as what to do on Friday

Typed in reply " Giggingtowns are due a change of luck" but thought better of it and cancelled .

Then sat and watched
Report Steamship March 15, 2014 7:54 AM GMT
Dreadful first three days with the best a couple of thirds, bet in all races except world hurdle. Then got Lord Windermere and best bet of the day Don Pooli.
Got Carsonstown Boy 2nd in Foxhunters at 70 which would have made a big winning week. All in betting wise I made £50 not bad for all the entertainment and probably like most only bet like this at Cheltenham Im a lot stricter otherwise.

Was walking dog this morning thinking if I ncould have put the 4 Gigginstown horses with Lord Windermere for an £1 acca I would be a millionaire now.
Report Off the toe March 15, 2014 8:10 AM GMT
Ante Post accas -150 returned 6.89
Faugheen win any race 50 @ 12-1

Tuesday  -250 including on course beer
Report Off the toe March 15, 2014 8:13 AM GMT
Wednesday -40

Thursday -100

Friday - Tiger Roll 200, On his own 90 savello 450, don poli 155 - ew lucky 15 60 against 200 quid of bets

Fair to say Friday and gigginstown bailed me out
Report dementia March 15, 2014 8:23 AM GMT
Backed Sire De Grugy and More Than That ended up about  £50 up over the 4 days so quite chuffed.
Report geoff m March 15, 2014 9:21 AM GMT
Worst festival in 11 yrs up £867
Report xmoneyx March 15, 2014 11:03 AM GMT
Lol
Report bannahan March 15, 2014 11:32 AM GMT
Running total

day 1 -£312

day 2 - £50

day 3 + £520

day 4 + £400

Enjoyed it but always feel exhausted post Cheltenham, mainly down to 4 days excessive acohol consumption.....if my liver could speak it would be begging me for milk of thistle.......NEAT Crazy
Report mandarin March 15, 2014 11:48 AM GMT
Includes monday - Horse Racing: £766.88  Total P&L:  £766.88 - 10 meetings over the weekend will top that up - hopefully!
Report Millerracing67 March 15, 2014 4:37 PM GMT
1st losing Chelts fest in the last 5 for me Sad
Weds my only winning day this time round.
Thankfully Ruby held on to be top jock again Cool or it would have been worse.
Lost £180 over the 4days Sad
ROLL ON THE FLAT Cool
Report Red Lorry Yella Lol March 15, 2014 5:53 PM GMT
it was so bad it is almost laughable. Lost just over 900 bucks betting quite small!
Report alanc1 March 15, 2014 6:20 PM GMT
Tuesday ok with Holywell and Present View winning plus Quevega as usual.
Wednesday good day with Faugheen, Whisper (also Bayan & Dell Arca placed) Sire De Grugy & Balthazar King all winning. Would have been one of best ever if Katgary had won
Thursday ok with Fingal Bay and Dynaste winning
Well up going into Friday but ended up just hanging on to a small profit by getting place money from Arctic Fire, Caid Du Berlais and Ned Buntline
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com