Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
differentdrum
18 Feb 14 13:08
| Topic/replies: 14,366 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
Racing insiders need not reply.

One of the finest wordsmiths (although to be fair not much competition) I just wonder if away from the microphone he is something of a 'racing snob' in that he would happily suck up to and mingle with those within the sport but wouldn't really care two hoots about those outside the circle.
Pause Switch to Standard View Alastair Down - Anyone Met Him?
Show More
Report Big Boss February 18, 2014 1:09 PM GMT
in any Newmarket pub you will find him propping up the bar Laugh
Report brigust1 February 18, 2014 1:46 PM GMT
Tried to have a discussion with him once about 10/12 years ago at a do in Chipping Norton. He was propping up the bar an he was on his own. I soon found out why.
Report millhouse February 18, 2014 1:48 PM GMT
Thorou
Thorou
Sorry - thoroughly rude on the couple of occasions I encountered him - brilliant piece today though...
Report MJK February 18, 2014 2:24 PM GMT
Liked him a while back before he became a member of the Gravy Train. Now us punters are all idiots and how dare we criticise a bad ride.
Report timeless February 18, 2014 2:34 PM GMT
I prefer him to Tommo.
Report tomhunt February 18, 2014 2:36 PM GMT
I prefer Pol Pot to thommo
Report chelsea girl February 18, 2014 2:43 PM GMT
AD went down in my estimation with that toe curling piece in the post extolling the

virtues of playing the FOBTS but more than made up for it with that wonderful tribute

to Terry Biddlecombe.
Report TRD.Racing February 18, 2014 2:43 PM GMT
I've met him. He actually appeared at a Cheltenham preview night I organised several years back. Nice enough guy,witty,but I'm still paying the bar bill off in instalments.

Just as well the night was a sell out
Report murphyjust. February 18, 2014 2:50 PM GMT
entertaining company although must have got a bad belt of a bar when he was a young lad because he was particularly shy of it the night I met him
Report SlippyBlue February 18, 2014 2:51 PM GMT
"Now us punters are all idiots and how dare we criticise a bad ride."

He referred to us punters views as being from those "in the cheap seats."
Report EVILROYSLADE February 18, 2014 3:54 PM GMT
Met him in Liverpool. I was on my way to Aintree on a Sunday. Katchit was running as I remember. AD was having a bite to eat with his lad before going to watch Liverpool play at Anfield. Took time out to have a chat about racing in general. A very pleasant fellow for sure. Spoke for a good while about racing and Cheltenham in particular.Never once felt like I was intruding. Very nice chap.
Report xmoneyx February 18, 2014 4:09 PM GMT
tomhunt
     18 Feb 14 14:36   

I prefer Pol Pot to thommo 

Laugh
Report themightymac February 18, 2014 4:16 PM GMT
Full time Nicholls crawler. His articles are heavy going, 10 words when 4 would do, and full of cliches. I`d rather jump out a plane without a parachute than read them.
Report Dr Crippen February 18, 2014 6:42 PM GMT
I agree with themightymac.  AD spoils everything he writes by over elaborating.
It's hard work reading his stuff.

By the way.
I think Johnnie Walker’s met him a few times.
Report cluosou February 18, 2014 6:43 PM GMT
his article on j mccrirricks eating habits on arc day was hilarious
Report Joist February 18, 2014 6:50 PM GMT
Saw him at Sandown a number of years back when Kauto Star was running that day in the Tingle Creek. Out of the blue, I said "Alistair!" and we had a brief but pleasant exchange about Kauto Star. Polite and pleasant, had every chance to ignore me or be rude but wasn't. Good egg for me and excellent wordsmith. He may over elaborate a little but better than than the usual tedious, insipid platitudes.
Report fronter February 18, 2014 7:02 PM GMT
Stayed in same hotel at Dante meeting in York back about 3 years ago. Seemed ok had a quiet chat and wouldn't really have a bad word to say about him - obviously another side!
Report racingstar February 18, 2014 7:05 PM GMT
Has "trotted" out the same old tired clichés for years.
A "Brown Noser" of titanic proportions,imo.
Each to their own.
Report Billy Liddell February 18, 2014 7:08 PM GMT
EVILROYHappy

Katchit won that day at Aintree and Liverpool drew 1-1 with Arsenal, the Ref who is getting all the headlines at the moment was in charge of the game..
Report kevo February 18, 2014 7:09 PM GMT
Sir Peter O'Sullevan bumped into him once at Newbury.
Report flushgordon1 February 18, 2014 7:20 PM GMT
Francis rossi met him and he was so impressed he wrote  two songs about him ,his own personal favoritre being ,down the dustpipe.
Report patsyone February 18, 2014 8:30 PM GMT
DR CRIPPIN
he had many a good time with JONNIE WALKER,
Report EVILROYSLADE February 18, 2014 8:34 PM GMT
What a good memory Billy! I remember losing a few quid later that day! Laugh
Report windsor knot February 18, 2014 9:44 PM GMT
he is fine if you are the ' best ' company he can find . ignored for sure if he can find anyone further up the fame ladder.
Report racingstar February 18, 2014 9:47 PM GMT
"Sir Mark was saying",Liver transplant required after;Punchestown,Galway Festivals etc.
Tired old clichés trotted out with relentless regularity.
Report differentdrum February 19, 2014 8:07 AM GMT
Has always loved the military references. I presume there must be a family connection.

The opening of his Terry Biddlecombe tribute is quite interesting. He almost talks about his mother as if she is a member of the aristocracy.

It must have been quite a blow to his ego when Channel 4 kicked him into touch. Mind you ATR now appear to treat him like racing 'royalty'.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com