Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TiptheOdds
20 Sep 13 17:45
| Topic/replies: 7,300 | Blogger: TiptheOdds's blog
Feckin useless these days.

The very last jockey I want to see on a Johnston runner - every other jockey gets them out in front to dictate the pace except him.
Show More
Report pandora1963 September 20, 2013 5:46 PM BST
i have noticed that too,strange
Report TiptheOdds September 20, 2013 5:48 PM BST
dare I speculate that, at fancied prices, someone could be laying them...
Report breadnbutter September 20, 2013 5:51 PM BST
dare i suggest they could lay them a good bit shorter if he bounced them out in front ...
Report TiptheOdds September 20, 2013 5:56 PM BST
absolutely true, but then he wouldn´t have the excuse that they missed the break and found trouble in running.

I´m pretty sure the record of Johnston horses when they make the running is much much better than when they are held up.
Report TiptheOdds September 20, 2013 5:59 PM BST
Just looked at the past rides he´s had for MJ. Of the last six only two missed the break and didn´t lead, so maybe I´m completely wrong.
Report pandora1963 September 20, 2013 6:00 PM BST
fancy his mount in the next at a nice price think hr will have it close to the lead
Report ima_mazed66 September 20, 2013 6:17 PM BST
So do all Johnston horses make the running then?

And remind me again how many other jockeys have bounced out fast and made all to win on Fallon's mount in this? In fact just remind me of how many races the horse has won employing any style of running for that matter?

If the horse is good enough blah blah blah........
Report breadnbutter September 20, 2013 6:23 PM BST
what you on about ?
Report TiptheOdds September 20, 2013 6:24 PM BST
Johnston runners imo, run better when they are up with the pace.

Sometimes they can´t make the running of course - rags, spoiling tactics, other front runners etc - but 9 of his last 10 runners have made all or tracked the leader.

I don´t know which horse you´re talking about Ima but his mount in the first tonight looked an ideal type to make all, being bred to stay further and lacking a turn of foot.
Report ima_mazed66 September 20, 2013 6:52 PM BST
If your "what you on about" comment was to me breadnbutter then I think it's fairly self explanatory.

This might be just a perception I have TiptheOdds and could be wrong but is it Johnston horses per se that tend to make the running or mainly just the Joe Fanning ridden ones because that's how he likes to ride them> Or do Franny Norton, Liam Jones, De Sousa, Callan, Nicholls and others also make the running on them?

The horse I'm on about is Opera Fan from the first at Wolves and had run 3 times prior to tonight and won none of them when ridden by Fanning last time with these post race comments:

Took keen hold, with leader until led 6f out, ridden entering final 2f, headed over 1f out, no extra and beaten inside final furlong, weakened and lost 2 places final 75yds

and was ridden by De Sousa for the first 2 starts:

Led, ridden and headed well over 1f out, no extra and beaten when slightly hampered inside final furlong, one pace after

Dwelt, took keen hold and soon chasing leaders, pushed along halfway, soon ridden and weakened

So it's had a variety of rides and been beaten in all but funnily enough it's Fallon's ride that gets flagged up on here....And there was me thinking it was just that the horses isn't good enough. Happy
Report THE_NUMBER_ONE_PUNTER September 20, 2013 6:54 PM BST
you tell them Ima "he is as good as he ever was if not better. Devil
Report differentdrum September 20, 2013 7:01 PM BST
It must be sheer coincidence but Sheikh Obaid appears to be having one of his best seasons having kicked Fallon into touch. Perhaps a few other owners should try this and see if they benefit from a similar coincidence.
Report Bonza Bud September 20, 2013 7:17 PM BST
Isn't it just that Buick is now the better jock?
Report TiptheOdds September 20, 2013 7:24 PM BST
Ima, first of all the MJ 2-y-os are often green first time out - especially the staying types - and usually get run off their feet first time out.

On its 2nd run Opera Fan made the running - albeit in a 5 runner affair - and ran by far his best race to date, going down to a Godolphin runner, now rated about 80+. A reproduction of that run tonight, off 63, should have been enough to win tonight´s moderate contest. But it was imo dependent on two things: getting out in front and settling. As it was he missed the break, found himself behind runners and pulled too hard. Going wide on the home turn didn´t help but might only have cost 3rd place.

Opera Fan will win races, when he learns to settle, but imo because of his lack of pace it will be over 1m+ up with the pace.

If you watch racing regularly Ima, as I´m sure you do, then you will know that, although it is Fanning´s forte, MJ runners are regularly ridden up with the pace by nearly all his riders. Of his last 10 winners, 9 made all or were ridden close to the pace - by Fanning, Nicholls, Fallon and Bates.
Report ima_mazed66 September 20, 2013 8:01 PM BST
It's far more about the horses than the jockeys THE_NUMBER_ONE_PUNTER which I think I might have mentioned once or twice before.

Did you do any research before making that statement differentdrum about Sheikh Obaid having one of his best seasons or did you just hope it was the case because you would like it to be? This is after all an owner who has previously won the Derby.

He's currently on 17 winners for the season, including Fallon ridden ones and perhaps you could tell us how that compares to other seasons? His individual horse winners include Afsare, Emirates Queen, Danadana, Nargys, Semeen and Ajmany, all horses Fallon has won on before and some of those 17 winners included horse Fallon has never ridden before so would have proved quite difficult for him to have won on them.

Plenty of other jockeys have also been beaten on these and other horses too and it seems the main reason Fallon got the elbow was because Afsare wouldn't go into the stalls under him (which was something the horse repeated under Hughes) and because Danadana was beaten on ground the horse hated in the Brigadier Gerard. Danadana is 0 from 6 whenever the word Soft appears in the going description, its 6 wins have come on ground described as Good to Firm 4 times, Good once and Fast once and 4 of the horse's 6 wins have been with Fallon on, with the last being the fast ground one in Turkey after Fallon was no longer riding the owner's horses so why any of that is his fault is beyond me.

If we then add Afsare has gone from Gr1 and Gr2 races under Fallon at 10f and 12f to winning a Gr2 and a Gr3 at a mile and that Nargys was considered the stable's 1000gns filly which Fallon rode in the Gr3 trial and has since been beaten 4 times at Handicap, Listed and Gr3 level at trips from 6f to a mile before winning at weak Gr3 at 7f then once again I fail to see why Fallon is responsible for any of that.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com