Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ashleigh
29 Jun 13 08:14
| Topic/replies: 17,692 | Blogger: ashleigh's blog
cleared to proceed with his £3 million age discrimination claim.
Pause Switch to Standard View big mac wins 1st round
Show More
Report grum_p June 29, 2013 8:59 AM BST
I'm a big fan of Big Mac, I think he added so much to the show. Channel 4 racing is so unbearably, unbelievably, unwatchably  dull and boring without him imo.  (And Tommo too).  It's now like watching RUK,  in other words significantly less fun imo than watching paint dry.
Report Facts June 29, 2013 9:03 AM BST
^ 1 year on - 8 contributions.With bilge like your post above - I'd stay away for another year.
Report saddo June 29, 2013 9:04 AM BST
Leave my cousin alone.
Report GandalfTheGrey June 29, 2013 9:17 AM BST
Laugh
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD June 29, 2013 9:25 AM BST
Happy saddo
Report silvergreaser June 29, 2013 9:34 AM BST
grum p I'm with you on this one, Big Mac might be an arrogant self publicist and often hypocritical but at least he put a bit of life into CH4 racing, his nicknames were very funny, The Female, Lord Snooty and the Pouting Heiress.

Like him or lump him at least he was entertaining.
Report Facts June 29, 2013 9:42 AM BST
No - he wasn't. He was an arrogant,self serving hypocrite. An embarrassment to the industry - and a dinosaur - well past his sell by date.hth.
Report silvergreaser June 29, 2013 9:48 AM BST
Your opinion facts, I quite liked the guy.
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD June 29, 2013 10:06 AM BST
Him and Dennis sitting on the bench Monday nights at Windsor made me wont to pukeCryCry
Report pedrobob June 29, 2013 10:11 AM BST
if he actually knew something about the core industry in which he claims to "work", horseracing, (other than an outdated bookies signalling system from the 1670's), I could just about bear him (or anyone for that matter).

Listening to him beg Zoe on ATR last week at Ascot to be given a chance to give his tips, as they hastened on to the next clip, was cringeworthy. Does anyone actually care or give time to what he thinks ?
Report pedrobob June 29, 2013 10:13 AM BST
..... and this Round 2 age discrimination claim just the legal boys serving themselves up another dish at £1000's per hour.
May as well add another £50k a week onto an overpaid footballer's salary for all the good it will do.
Report Purdey June 29, 2013 10:15 AM BST
He was outdated and annoyed a lot of people, but at least he added a bit of colour to C4 racing... Rather than firing him, they should have just cut his airtime down. Or given him a 2-3 minute slot on the morning line to air his rants in one go...
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD June 29, 2013 10:15 AM BST
Years ago at newmkt a gypsy boxer from round our way was tapping him on the shoulder with a stick while he was on t v , would of loved him to turn round and give him a mouth fall as he did others.

Would of been one for you tube that.

Yes a lot of them deserved it but it was unprofessional of him to do that.

Thats why people done it to wind the clueless bufoon upMischief
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD June 29, 2013 10:18 AM BST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfPpBpDaSXE

LaughLaughLaugh
Report silvergreaser June 29, 2013 10:18 AM BST
Does anyone really care what any racing presenter thinks?, most on here are long enough backing horses to come to our own conclusions, as entertainment value he at least brought a bit to the table, yes he might make many puke yet Matt Chapman makes me wanna puke sometimes when he's in his know all, after timing totally in your face mode, and yet many on here think he's entertaining?.

All about personal tastes.
Report pedrobob June 29, 2013 10:25 AM BST
Does anyone really care what any racing presenter thinks?

Virtually everyone on RUK worth listening to.
On ATR, Hugh Taylor, Gary O'Brien, Kevin O'Ryan etc many wise words of wisdom
Report portmanpark June 29, 2013 10:26 AM BST
kevin oryan..........tips the fav in every race......
Report portmanpark June 29, 2013 10:27 AM BST
agree with gary obrien........too good for atr
Report portmanpark June 29, 2013 10:29 AM BST
Virtually everyone on ruk is worth listening to...........hope you dont include dave yates in that pedrobob.........he is the pits
Report silvergreaser June 29, 2013 10:30 AM BST
Pedro yes some are good presenters but from my own point of view I take no heed of their selections.
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD June 29, 2013 10:56 AM BST
I do Cunningham i want to lay every horse he mutters
Report FELTFAIR June 29, 2013 11:14 AM BST
I`ll say it again,this is not about personalities it`s about employment law. Could be an out of court settlement. Whatever the knockers think about McCririck is totally irrelevant.
Report know all June 29, 2013 11:23 AM BST
its odds on he will get a big payout now the only chance they had has now gone.

my lady was finished 1 week before her full year the employer was known for doing it the idea was so she did not have any employment rights but they gave her a weeks notice, she had to go to the same pre hearing as big mac the judge decided she had been employed for a year she got a big payout of 12k she was on 6 pound an hour part time
Report portmanpark June 29, 2013 11:24 AM BST
know all........good for her
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 11:31 AM BST
What's totally beyond belief is that the really can't see that the reason he was not given a contract is that C4 don't want a sexist, misogynist right wing freak show polluting their coverage.

It's not because you are old John, it's because in 2013 the people watching don't want you...
Report know all June 29, 2013 11:37 AM BST
he has rights and as someone said he could have been given less hours he will get a very big payout it looks odds on it will be settled out of court.
we can all moan at big mac but the program is worse without him the betting ring price updates were good
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 11:41 AM BST
I wonder what the law firm doing this on a 'no win no fee' basis think of him saying that his claim will cease if he gets his old job back...
Report ebulGery June 29, 2013 11:45 AM BST
99.9% greed 0.01 % justice
in my opinion
Report ebulGery June 29, 2013 11:47 AM BST
for all that ...I miss him
I don't like the new format or all this PC crap
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 11:48 AM BST
The 0.1% is very generous, ebulgery, imo...
Report ebulGery June 29, 2013 11:49 AM BST
Laugh
Report the.mad.dog.man June 29, 2013 11:54 AM BST
good luck mac
Report know all June 29, 2013 12:00 PM BST
what is interesting is he can now go back to work they can give him his job back or they have to pay him even more compensation
Report Facts June 29, 2013 12:03 PM BST
^Cry
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 12:05 PM BST
^^ Or C4 can show that the reason they didn't give him a new contract is that they don't want offensive sexism on their network.

A trial would not play out well for McCririck, because the real reasons they didn't want him will come out into the open, in no uncertain terms, imho...
Report Facts June 29, 2013 12:07 PM BST
absolutely
Report shudacuda June 29, 2013 12:11 PM BST
What about the Booby?
Report know all June 29, 2013 12:12 PM BST
millhouse its not a trial they have no defence he was dismissed unfairly and its very serious for them, my lady went exactly through the same thing the next stage is he is entitled to his job back but if things have turned nasty then that might not be possible so its not his fault and compensation is then awarded
Report Facts June 29, 2013 12:13 PM BST
what was unfair about his dismissal ?
Report Dr Gonzo June 29, 2013 12:20 PM BST
A trial would not play out well for McCririck, because the real reasons they didn't want him will come out into the open, in no uncertain terms, imho...

Spot on.
Report Dr Gonzo June 29, 2013 12:21 PM BST
millhouse its not a trial they have no defence he was dismissed unfairly and its very serious for them

Ah right, no need for a tribunal then - 'know all' on the BF forum has already decided it was unfair dismissal Laugh
Report sparrow June 29, 2013 12:23 PM BST
Would love him to win, just to upset the obsessed haters on here.
Report the.mad.dog.man June 29, 2013 12:26 PM BST
I would love it if he won
Report shudacuda June 29, 2013 12:27 PM BST
Odds on he was self employed and only on a fixed contract.
Report Facts June 29, 2013 12:48 PM BST
why would you love it mad dog ?
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 12:48 PM BST
The contracts came to an end with Highflyer - his argument, from what I can see, is that no matter how unbelievably offensive/sexist/misogynist/right wing/hopelessly out of touch with contemporary audiences his performance might be, a completely new production company should be forced to give him a new contract, whether they want to or not...
Report Facts June 29, 2013 12:49 PM BST
But no one is entitled to have a contract renewed
Report Dr Gonzo June 29, 2013 1:12 PM BST
But no one is entitled to have a contract renewed

McCririck is apparently, he seems to think he's entitled to a job for life.

I laughed my head off when I read his "merit and ability remain unimpaired" comment.
Report silvergreaser June 29, 2013 1:25 PM BST
Millhouse surely you don't take Big Macs sexism seriously?, its all part of the act, I myself found it humorous.

Im sure the Booby is far from subservient to his every need?.
Report Nige down south June 29, 2013 1:36 PM BST
Failed bookmaker who had an ego the size of America, never watched C4 much anyhow so no loss to me.

The fact that this has even got to court shows the true state of the society we live in!
Report zipper June 29, 2013 1:36 PM BST
The point is  he was on 90k yes 90k  per year for that drivel
now be honest what would you pay him  ?
Report saddo June 29, 2013 1:40 PM BST
I wouldn't give him the contents of my re-cycle bin.
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 1:44 PM BST
Silvergreaser, it doesn't really matter what I think (though for what it's worth my experience of him is that he is unrelentingly unpleasant), what matters is what the people watching think - and it does horse racing, and C4, no end of damage to allow this freak show to resolve his issues when it comes to women live on air and broadcasting to the nation, imho...
Report mmmalushka June 29, 2013 1:55 PM BST
Like him or loath him, nobody has done more to promote/publicise racing in GB in the last 30 years.
Report mactheknife June 29, 2013 1:58 PM BST
Doing a younger person out of a job.
We have a few people nearing their 70`s where I work & they are playing the same card.
What will happen to our youngsters seeking employment if our older generation do not retire after 67ish?
Report duffy June 29, 2013 2:03 PM BST
I always thought he was Hayley Turner's biggest fan, or is calling her head turner in some way interpreted as telling her to get in the kitchen?
Report chrisg June 29, 2013 2:04 PM BST
No one has done more to promote themselves. Cant see what benefits he has provided for British racing.
Report pedrobob June 29, 2013 2:21 PM BST
Doing a younger person out of a job.
We have a few people nearing their 70`s where I work & they are playing the same card.
What will happen to our youngsters seeking employment if our older generation do not retire after 67ish?

mactheknife is correct. McCririck depriving a worthy (and more able) younger person of a job.... though still not sure how you can call it "work". What does he actually do other than get paid to go racing for free?

If Big Mac wants to argue on age discrimination grounds, we'll soon have the same 50% youth unemployment rates as Spain. Is that what Big Mac wants?

I suspect the only reasons he has gone on with  this charade is some ambulance chasing legal firm have offered to represent him for nothing..... and maybe he has need of a payoff?
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 2:52 PM BST
Like him or loath him, nobody has done more to promote/publicise racing in GB in the last 30 years

No one has done more damage to horse racing in the history of the sport, imho...
Report dave1357 June 29, 2013 3:12 PM BST

Jun 29, 2013 -- 8:21AM, pedrobob wrote:

Doing a younger person out of a job.We have a few people nearing their 70`s where I work & they are playing the same card.What will happen to our youngsters seeking employment if our older generation do not retire after 67ish?mactheknife is correct. McCririck depriving a worthy (and more able) younger person of a job.... though still not sure how you can call it "work". What does he actually do other than get paid to go racing for free?If Big Mac wants to argue on age discrimination grounds, we'll soon have the same 50% youth unemployment rates as Spain. Is that what Big Mac wants?I suspect the only reasons he has gone on with  this charade is some ambulance chasing legal firm have offered to represent him for nothing..... and maybe he has need of a payoff?

lol if you use that argument he would win for age discrimination.  Employers should have the flexibility to employ the best people for the job, with the proviso that society as a whole benefits from some level of job security (but obv not the security provided by many EU countries which has led to devastating levels of youth unemployment).

Report silvergreaser June 29, 2013 3:17 PM BST
No one has done more damage to horse racing in the history of the sport, imho...

Do you have evidence to back that up millhouse?, I'd say his larger than life act probably done more to rid racing of its stuffy inward image.
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 3:28 PM BST
Silvergreaser, as stated above, it's just my opinion, though how anyone can think that having a sexist, misogynist, right wing, loud-mouthed freak show as the most identifiable figure in the sport is doing it anything other than chronic damage is beyond me...
Report silvergreaser June 29, 2013 3:32 PM BST
Millhouse I think you take the guy far too seriously, a lot of what he does is just one big act, part of the tv persona he built for himself, in private the guy is probably totally different I don't know?.
Report telepathic June 29, 2013 3:34 PM BST
Millhouse
That drum you keep on beating has it not burst yet,the repetition !!!
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 3:35 PM BST
Apologies Telepathic...
Report pumphol. June 29, 2013 3:36 PM BST
silvergreaser     29 Jun 13 15:17 

Do you have evidence to back that up millhouse?, I'd say his larger than life act probably done more to rid racing of its stuffy inward image.

Have you got any evidence to back that up ?

At the end of the day everyone has a different opinion, no-one is going to be  right or wrong, all I do know is its kept him in the limelight for a little while longer which from JM's point of view is never a bad thing.
Report mmmalushka June 29, 2013 3:39 PM BST
millhouse, you come across as a right miserable old git who never has a good word to say about anybody.
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 3:42 PM BST
Sorry about that mmmalushka...
Report Facts June 29, 2013 3:51 PM BST
millhouse     29 Jun 13 14:52 
Like him or loath him, nobody has done more to promote/publicise racing in GB in the last 30 years

Spot on millhouse.Well said
Report Facts June 29, 2013 3:55 PM BST
Over the years I've known plenty of people outside of racing whose only contact with the sport has been through seeing,hearing or reading stuff from McCririck. Their overwhelming reaction - one of disgust and disbelief. Followed by comments along the lines of ',,,,well if that's horse racing - you can keep it ...!'
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 3:57 PM BST
That's exactly my point, Facts...
Report silvergreaser June 29, 2013 3:58 PM BST
Of course you don't have to like the guy but to say he has done more damage etc when evidence suggests the total opposite.

When people think about racing personalities outside of the die hard racing fans like us, the first guy who probably springs to mind for any lay person would be Big Mac, the rest of the racing personalities are virtually anonymous apart from Balding of course.
Report telepathic June 29, 2013 4:02 PM BST
Facts and Millhouse what f.....g double.......Ooooooooooooooo.
Report Facts June 29, 2013 4:03 PM BST
But we're right telepathic ( shouldn't you know that btw)Happy
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 4:06 PM BST
Have you got anything meaningful to contribute telepathic, or are you just on stalking duty today...?
Report Ramruma June 29, 2013 4:07 PM BST
I would expect Channel 4 to produce audience research and advertiser feedback suggesting the sexist image of racing in general and Big Mac in particular were significant. Remember that C4 almost axed racing without subsidies/sponsorship.
Report millhouse June 29, 2013 4:10 PM BST
Agree Ramruma - if the new C4 production team thought he wasn't going to damage them he'd still be there, imo...
Report ashleigh June 29, 2013 4:14 PM BST
millhouse as already stated, only happy when knocking big mac or pricewise followers, get a life.
Report telepathic June 29, 2013 4:18 PM BST
Millhouse
I really cannot be bothered getting involved in the same old,same old,same old regurgitated sh*t.
Big Mac an easy target for the politically correct.

Give it a break.
Report ebulGery June 29, 2013 7:47 PM BST
that is the problem
some of us saw what went as just laddish banter, it was all done in humour,
... others say it was sexism and misogyny at it's worst

I prefer the first as I am an older white male
others, younger I assume, prefer the values of the PC society we now live in

At a guess most of the audience fitted my bracket
but Ch 4 want the younger viewer(advertisers prefer this  as well..they spend more))

but I wonder are they there?
which explains falling viewing figuresConfused
we shall see what happens

just my opinion
Report ebulGery June 29, 2013 7:53 PM BST
there did used to be women presenter on the program...unless my eyes have goneConfused
but reading some of the posts on here, they appears to be have all been all maleShocked before Ms Balding arrived
anyway I would question what exactly she has to do with femininity anyway myself
the viewers and advertisersSad will decide in the end
which seems fairly democratic I suppose
Report ebulGery June 29, 2013 9:48 PM BST
another thing
that word misogynistic ..it means to hate women
how many blokes actually hate womenConfused
Blokes may see women as providers of sex
and think their job in life is to have kids, raise them, clean the house and do the washing upLaugh
it does  not mean they hate them...chauvinist or sexist is a much better word for this...I am definitely thatBlush
shows how our language is being cleverly manipulated to change our views
it goes on all the time...we just don't notice
Report pedrobob June 30, 2013 11:18 AM BST
BigMac espousing principles of the free market on ATR forum ......

er hem......
Report pedrobob June 30, 2013 11:35 AM BST
now going on about hacks now knowing stats of the Northumberland Plate in 1833..... and how they let down the punters....

But are you going to talk about what happened last week at Kempton?
Report pedrobob June 30, 2013 11:49 AM BST
now wants to cull 1/3 of the horses, trainers, jockeys, owners, courses.......

not mentioned his own profession yet.....
Report ebulGery June 30, 2013 12:44 PM BST
Laugh
Report jonjo June 30, 2013 1:04 PM BST
Simply cannot watch The Sunday Forum with him on it......
The double standards regarding the free market, sexism, the whip (set against his own support of fox hunting/hare coursing) simply makes me sick that he is even allowed a platform at any point for his ridiculous views on any subject.
If he were a campaigning journalist, putting the interests of the game at the front of his agenda, I could understand his gripes, but as he's made a lot of money with the same tired old act over a long period, I dont blame the new production team for looking for something different...
Anyone who thinks his "stop waving" "thefemale".....act is entertaining would probably still go into raptures over a flying dismount, or Thommo saying Mystic Meg cant make the races due to unforeseen circumstances & points at the sky open mouthed when a plane flies over.
The man has had his time & made plenty during that time, I find it utterly pathetic that he seems to want to be reporting from the betting ring, with no one having the option of calling time on this act, until he maybe drops dead on the job......
Report telepathic June 30, 2013 1:18 PM BST
At least he promotes a reaction,the current mob if described in colour would be Magnolia...........yawn.The programme is drowning in mediocrity.
Report pedrobob June 30, 2013 1:33 PM BST
At least he promotes a reaction....

Bit of an extreme comparison, but Pol Pot and Hitler "promoted a reaction" as well....
Report telepathic June 30, 2013 1:39 PM BST
Well "extremes" are what most people on this forum are about.Moderation is not the Buzz word.
Report Fenway June 30, 2013 1:42 PM BST
I am sure there are a lot of people who would be better than him at the job. It is a shame that Channel 4 did not see fit to untilise their services, because what they have now is a steaming pile of dung. Unwatchable, at least with the sound on.
Report Hound-Dog-2 June 30, 2013 1:43 PM BST
Never thought he had a chance of winning this case.....but now that he is cleared and can proceed to a tribunal....not so sure (?)

On his Twitter Page - but don't think it's him actually doing it - a pretty amusing comment:

"Mick Jagger is to the Stones what I am to Channel 4 racing. Nobody would be interested in watching them without Mick's appeal and charisma."
Report saddo June 30, 2013 1:46 PM BST
"Mick Jagger is to the Stones what I am to Channel 4 racing"

Pass the sick bucket, wac.
Report saddo June 30, 2013 1:47 PM BST
Apologies to the old git, didn't see your disclaimer, hound dog.
Report Steamship June 30, 2013 2:43 PM BST
jonjo I felt the same with Sunday forum today and thankfully I had recorded it so was able to fast forward most of his rantings.

If he wins this case then I will be astonished. The old company lost their contract surely if Mac has a case then so do Thommo and Catt.
Report Dayjur June 30, 2013 3:52 PM BST
so pretty laughable rubbish (as normal) being spouted on here...particularly like the idea of having right wing views being a reason not to employ someone...we have a right wing government so that rules a large section of the population out of employment from the start...anyway on big mac i don't think his performance in the job matters much at this stage. from what has been reported he was told he was no longer required in a telephone call with no reasons given. its impossible at this stage for an employer to retrospectively bring up employment issues which were not brought up (by the employer) at the time of employment. i think it will come down to something as simple as his contract and who he was employed by, and if he can show there was undue bias in the selection of his replacement(s). if no performance concerns were raised before the end of his employment, it would seem a reasonable argument that the only reason he was "sacked" was due to his age.
Report 1st time poster June 30, 2013 4:02 PM BST
going by the loons on here its no wonder companys lose 99% of unfair dismisal cases,because francome, catt etc didnt fight it that makes big macs case any less worthy absolute tosh
Report TELL DEL June 30, 2013 4:05 PM BST
".....only reason he was "sacked" was due to age."

agree, that does seem a reasonable argument, but have to say he was looking increasingly unwell on screen, getting the shakes pretty bad, and also forgetting things and Tanya often stepping in to remind him or correct him, and the latter would be due to an age thing.  Anyway, if he is to win unfair dismissal damages, the big issue is was there undue bias in dropping him - because of age - after nearly 3 decades.
Report Ramruma June 30, 2013 4:10 PM BST
@Steamship -- surely if Mac has a case then so do Thommo and Catt.

Tommo & Catt are also no spring chickens which might support Mac's case that this was about age. Otoh, Jimbo is getting on  a bit.
Report 1st time poster June 30, 2013 4:16 PM BST
probably tops the list of things you,ll never see in racing,

thommo and catt knocking over the gravey boat, Wink
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com