Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Anaglogs Daughter
26 Jun 13 10:36
| Topic/replies: 29,477 | Blogger: Anaglogs Daughter's blog
By Eurosport | Desmond Kane
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com

It was of minimal surprise to learn that Royal Ascot apparently asked Channel 4 to refer to 'Ladies' Day' as Gold Cup day at the gee-gees last week. One glance at some of the figures making their way to this snotty, overpriced gathering of largely revolting characters explained the reasons behind initial suspicions.

Race organisers apparently did not want their brand to be tarnished by the moniker of 'Ladies' Day', the one at Aintree in Liverpool looks rougher than some of the mares running in the races; but the horse bolted the stable, so to speak, on that one several years ago.

For a preserve of the traditional, middle-class rich in the United Kingdom, Royal Ascot week and Wimbledon fortnight are two events that continue to stagger this onlooker for their obvious vulgarity, tastelessness and tackiness.

Some of the "beautiful people" washing up at these prized events are enough to make one want to vomit on the spot.

And that is before the public service BBC bafflingly starts flicking to images of the "privileged" royal family wannabe Pippa Middleton, and her entourage, five minutes into Roger Federer's match on Centre Court.

Excuse me for being slightly old fashioned, I always thought class should be based on the general conduct of an individual - dignity, good manners, a sense of decorum and how one carries themselves. Not where they come from.

Or how much of the folding stuff they are walking around with in the hip pockets of their breakfast suits.

The old-school tie brigade in this country is a steaming pile of horse manure, but there remains a weird obsession with social class in the United Kingdom that is never better outed than when peering into the fandom of such events.

The one thing certain about wealth is nobody is taking it with them when they are lowered into the ground. There is nothing permanent about being royal or cash-rich. It will be you, and you alone in the end.

Horse Racing, the sport of kings, is perhaps a better example of the rat race, a wider malaise of the haves and have mores that has always been a depressing reality of British society.

Trying to board a train bound for Ascot in and around London last week was comparable to being shoehorned into a cattle car with a very different type of livestock, namely the usual new money laying waste to public transport.

Snobs trying to be toffs mixing freely is a pretty wretched sight. Rugby Union fans travelling to Twickenham are better behaved on trains than the horse racing lot. They are certainly more inclined to take their litter with them. PDC darts fans possess more common sense.

It would have been preferable to ride a unicycle to avoid the train ride as blokes dressed up in top hats and women wearing ill-fitting, clinging clothes were all the rage in ridiculous hats and tramp stamps. Mutton dressed as mutton sounds about correct.

Some were quaffing champers, but there was hardly a convivial atmosphere surrounding these characters. Far from it. It was all very contrived.

Some seemed about as content as a jockey whose horse pulled up on the cusp of winning the Gold Cup.

The Daily Telegraph last week offered a guide to what one should and should not wear at Royal Ascot. Who needs to wear a shirt and tie to carry off a veneer of respectability?

A couple of years ago, pictures were published showing grown men brawling with Laurent Perrier Rose champagne bottles at Royal Ascot.

"Sometimes the grandstands seem over-run by tattoos and bare flesh. It’s disrespectful – not just to the Queen..but to the horses," said the horse racing commentator Sir Peter O’Sullevan.

When they return worse for wear after a day on the sauce, the trains resemble some sort of slag heap as rubbish is tossed and bottles are discarded without any sense of sense of collective responsibility. London looked more scenic after the Blitz.

Wimbers comes into view a few days later, and seems to bring with it a further outburst of pretentious figures with its overpriced Pimms, strawberries and cream, and a willingness to tuck in with the silver spoons.

Some of the "ordinary folk" camp all night to catch a glimpse of the tennis players and rub shoulders with the privileged, who just waltz into Centre Court.

A night in the local police cells sounds more appealing than trying to leapfrog another member of Joe Public to spend time with the idle rich.

There's nowt so **** as folk.

Horse Racing and tennis remain fine sports, but the problem is not the sport. It is the calibre of characters they tend to attract.

There is no class about Royal Ascot or Wimbledon. They just exist to usher in new money.

They are simply sports events that lend themselves well to highlighting the worse excesses of a class-ridden society.

Yet there is so much poverty in what it all stands for.
Pause Switch to Standard View Elitist Wimbledon and Royal Ascot...
Show More
Report Anaglogs Daughter June 26, 2013 10:40 AM BST
^ There is one that's definitely not on the gravy train Laugh
Report saddo June 26, 2013 10:41 AM BST
Mutton dressed as mutton sounds about correct.

Laugh
Report Anaglogs Daughter June 26, 2013 10:42 AM BST
And there is what most racing hacks think but are terrified to put to type.
Report xmoneyx June 26, 2013 10:44 AM BST
written by the communist gazette Grin
Report Anaglogs Daughter June 26, 2013 10:45 AM BST
About Desmond Kane.

Desmond Kane began his career as a sports journalist in Dundee in the late 1990s as a regular contributor to national newspapers and magazines. Desmond has covered several sports at the highest level, including Champions League football and Major championship golf. Desmond is well travelled and well versed in the nuances of sport having written for Reuters, Australian Associated Press and the Press Association. He has lived and worked in Detroit, Glasgow, Sydney, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and London. Desmond returned from a spell working as a sports columnist in the Middle East to join Eurosport
Report wee eck June 26, 2013 10:47 AM BST
i like what he has written, rings true to me.
Report saddo June 26, 2013 10:49 AM BST
Me too, wee eck,on the button imo.
Report Anaglogs Daughter June 26, 2013 10:53 AM BST
Must tweet it to Royal Ascot, see will they re-tweet it.
Report harry2.1 June 26, 2013 10:59 AM BST
Nothing that hasn't been said before. Just a small amount of hyperbole.
Report brain dead jockeys June 26, 2013 1:26 PM BST
no idea what he is trying to say..........the article is full of contradictions...........life is what it is.......best of luck to the rich i say.........at least someone is having a good time.
Report pandora1963 June 26, 2013 2:24 PM BST
not sure what he is trying to say?? you should try reading it again,wimbledon and racing are elitist,run by toffs with a deep hatred for the average guy on the street,now try reading it again and maybe you will see that
Report Wesdag June 26, 2013 2:58 PM BST
This article is spot on and sums up all that is wrong with this class-ridden country.

This terrible state of affairs is embodied by the royal family.
Report elisjohn June 26, 2013 3:18 PM BST
agree wesdaq,
Report Anaglogs Daughter June 26, 2013 3:30 PM BST
brain dead jockeys     Joined: 14 Jun 05
Replies: 1307 26 Jun 13 13:26 
no idea what he is trying to say

Just read the first sentence and you'll see what he's trying to say ...Everywhere has a ladies day even the oldest Royal meeeting in the world, Bellewstown.

It was of minimal surprise to learn that Royal Ascot apparently asked Channel 4 to refer to 'Ladies' Day' as Gold Cup day at the gee-gees last week
Report grappler June 26, 2013 3:53 PM BST
this bollox only serves to underline what a shower of wanchors forum-dwellers are. particularly uber-idiot pandora, who has previous for idiocy.

the obsession with class exists in the mind of small-minded, resentful, sixth-rate nobodies like the posters on here, and embittered anti-british twerps like kane. the people that make major british meetings unattendable are not the tiny numbers of 'toffs' but the beloved working class(increasingly an oxymoron), who are crude, loud, philistine, stupid, and viloent. i wont go to football either, because of the numbers of brutish oafs who cannot speak without swearing, and harass any woman within earshot with their vulgar 'patter'.

they have been feater-bedded by the state, with the depressing result that they have become morally degraded and coarsened. the untermensch in the yuk is a significant minority, and growing.

and ive yet to hear a 'toff' talk in such derogatory terms of the saintly lower-orders in the same offensive way. kane's absurd adolescent rant and presentation of extreme prejudice as truth marks him as an embittered fool, hence his approval rating on here.
Report Cantthinkofaclevername June 26, 2013 3:56 PM BST
What he is saying is hardly new. When you get events where people think the rich and famous frequent (such as but not confined to Ascot and Wimbledon), then wannabes go as well trying to get an all-too-brief taste of that lifestyle. Some get p1ssed and disgrace themselves. It's been happening for years and will always happen.
I love Ascot for the racing but would never go because of the prices and dress code. Will be going to Yarmouth this friday instead!
Report Barry Conway June 26, 2013 3:59 PM BST
Quite right. You don't have to be an aristocrat to prefer the racing to be given more coverage than silly hats. It's not a surprise Ascot want to disassociate themselves from the proliferation of "Ladies days". Lingfield Park has two.
Report saddo June 26, 2013 4:02 PM BST
I always try and attend the one at Beverley, very nice, and aptly named also.
Report Anaglogs Daughter June 26, 2013 4:05 PM BST
Cantthinkofaclevername     26 Jun 13 15:56 
What he is saying is hardly new.

Where did you see a simliar article written by a sport Journalist? I never seen one, seen plenty by journalists but not by sports journos
Report barrycool June 26, 2013 4:15 PM BST
Grappler, most of the sixth-rate nobodies have one advantage over you
most of them can spell.
For gods sake grappler get a grip.
Report grappler June 26, 2013 4:21 PM BST
^ cannot compete with blistering responses like that. wd.
Report Cantthinkofaclevername June 26, 2013 4:34 PM BST
Sorry AD - that's what I meant. It's a fairly generally held view about wannabes. Whether a sports journo has written about it specifically in relation to Royal Ascot and Wimbledon. I don't know. To me it wasn't new and I found the tone overly disapproving and radiating an inverted snobbery.
Report G Hall June 9, 2022 12:22 PM BST
Two good posters Anaglog's and wee eck
Report mitolo June 9, 2022 1:51 PM BST
good ol grappler. giving it to em big style.
Report sageform June 9, 2022 2:00 PM BST
So watch something else until 5 minutes before each race and escape from the people watching. The culprits are the plebs who want to see a few celebs dressed up in hired gear. Wimbledon need to get a grip on time keeping. The umpire should ensure that knock up is is completed 2 minutes before the advertised start time and the first serve hit on the exact time. No excuse for lateness other than tradition.
Report SlippyBlue June 9, 2022 2:08 PM BST
I blame the parvenus, nasty little oiks the lot of them.
Report Hayden June 9, 2022 2:09 PM BST
Great thread resurrected , always thought A.D was nine years ahead of his time.

The opening post could have been written yesterday.
Report elise June 9, 2022 2:20 PM BST

you would say that though ...
Report mitolo June 9, 2022 2:23 PM BST
they shouldnt have knock-ups at all. these are supremely fit and well-paid athletes who have spent the previous hour doing exactly that. it is unnecessary and an anachronism from a bygone age.

get rid of it. and if you are about to do battle with someone the last thing you should be doing is poncing about giving each other dolly-shots. its bollox. i wont have it.

and while im at it. why do they have to sit down after 2 games?2!. even bigger bollox. no wonder the matches last for days. gerron wiv it. tennis players are so absurdly pampered i cant watch it.
Report sageform June 9, 2022 2:44 PM BST
Partly agree but could you keep sprinting on and off for 4-5 hours. I was fit athlete once but that is harder than running a marathon. Footballers moan but they have 10 others to pass to! 5 minute knock up totally unnecessary but it is not as much an issue if it is allowed for in the timetable.
Report deeppockets June 9, 2022 3:13 PM BST
mitolo you are a moron.   Koonts like you wouldn't get a racket on a ball so there would never be any need to sit down.
Report saddo June 9, 2022 3:57 PM BST
elise 09 Jun 22 14:20 

you would say that though ...

Aye, they share the same trousers.
Report mitolo June 9, 2022 4:48 PM BST
i didnt suggest they play the whole thing non-stop. sit down after every set. thats plenty.

actually potless, im quite handy at tennis for someone who never had a lesson.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com