Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Nightfly
16 Jan 13 12:35
| Topic/replies: 762 | Blogger: Nightfly's blog
cant listento RH anymore..he started off Ok , but has become one of those 'too know alls ' about the race...telling us all about the ins and outs of the race how it suits each horse, every horse getting a hurry up is 'Niggled' ..Sort of become the Motty of horse commentary...Richard give us a break we can see whats going on ..keep it a bit more simple and just tell us who is the lead.second third etc. And if there are any fallers tell us what it is.Dont go on an on about the ramifications for each horse etc etc..Please...
Pause Switch to Standard View Richard Hoiles commentaries - not...
Show More
Report wee eck January 16, 2013 2:22 PM GMT
Oily Hoiles is a greaseball.
Report VIRTUALFAN January 16, 2013 2:26 PM GMT
used to be good

now is constantly looking for angles in running that have not happened

back to basics please
Report tommysmum January 16, 2013 2:31 PM GMT
Harris is best, tells you exactly what is happening now, with correct distances between runners and always knows how far to go, without guessing what might happen next.
Report kingsburyken January 16, 2013 2:34 PM GMT
hes going downhill
Report wee eck January 16, 2013 2:43 PM GMT
kingsburykin, is oily Hoiles on a slippery slope?
Report duncan idaho January 16, 2013 2:44 PM GMT
excellent commentator....only an idiot or someone having a bad day would disagree
Report cyprusal January 16, 2013 3:02 PM GMT
listen to the bloke at lingfield,he gives out useless info on every runner during the race
Report artie January 16, 2013 3:12 PM GMT
Not as good as Tommo.
Report Deltâ January 16, 2013 3:21 PM GMT
1.01 landed
Report artie January 16, 2013 3:29 PM GMT
Ho.Ho.Ho.Whoa big fella.
Report corbiewood January 16, 2013 5:39 PM GMT
List horses.....
Report hello :-) January 16, 2013 5:44 PM GMT
Who is thommo ?
Report motley01 January 16, 2013 5:45 PM GMT
Hoilles doesn't just commentate, he gives you mid race analysis, post race analysis, he even tell's you
how most of the jocks rode there race. He don't tell you what's happening, he tell's you
what HE thinks is happening, what he thinks has happened, and what he thinks will happen.
Over commentates on every race, all in a effort to project how clever HE thinks he is'

I remember him interviewing Nicky Henderson before xmas at Kempton, asked him a long winded question,
didn't give him the opportunity to reply, and then gave him three possible answersLaugh Henderson's
facial expression was, fcuk sake do you want me to answer that, or have I three choicesSad
Report lmfao January 16, 2013 5:47 PM GMT
OP- an idiotic thread

take it from one who knows Grin
Report motley01 January 16, 2013 5:54 PM GMT
Think the OP has hit the nail on the headPlain
Report Front-runner January 16, 2013 5:56 PM GMT
he ok, a bit tto polite. What he says is ok, but want to punch him to see if he is real. No one is that polite.
Report mousaka January 16, 2013 6:01 PM GMT
Unfortunately he knows the game inside out...i actually blame him for some of my demise financially !!...the reason being that he has educated the people who didn`t understand in-running,...consequently making it a hell of a lot harder for those who knew it anyway !!!
Report roo January 16, 2013 6:01 PM GMT
I like commentators who commentate, not tell you what they thinks about to happen.
Report mousaka January 16, 2013 6:06 PM GMT
Exactly roo...and usually he is right !!... a horse disputing 3 0r 4 wide at Kempton is now virtually impossible to lay..bacause he has `educated` the masses :-(
Report Dr Crippen January 16, 2013 6:06 PM GMT
There's no pleasing some folk.
Report simply perfect January 16, 2013 6:07 PM GMT
In a sport overrun wih knowledgeless idiotic parasites Richard Hoiles is a shining beacon in an otherwise very dark room IMO.
Report NMR January 16, 2013 6:07 PM GMT
OP probably prefers Thommo telling us what the favourite's doing. I like the guy.
Report 1st time poster January 16, 2013 6:10 PM GMT
ratty out on his own,melish top dog, freemantle best judge around blah ,blah
any idea why they are forever sticking their faces in my tv screen instead of switching on the printing presses
Report rcing January 16, 2013 6:13 PM GMT
john hunt up there with the best of them 1st time poster
Report punchestown January 16, 2013 6:16 PM GMT
Ratpack will be gutted Surprised when he sees this and will consider hanging up his mic I'd say...
Report Dr Crippen January 16, 2013 6:16 PM GMT
We can get things very wrong regarding people who are in the public eye.

Nobody received any more flak than Richard Pitman, then at the age of 69 he donated one of his kidneys to a complete stranger.

The man turns out to be a hero, and certainly a better man than the majority of his critics on here.
Report motley01 January 16, 2013 6:19 PM GMT
I was brought up on Sir Peter, and his unassuming factual, non sycophantic style.
Just commentated on what was happening with a masterful understated commanding accent.
That was the standard, it's all gone sharply downhill since, everything's dumbed down and blinged up
by the new media generation, they all appear to image and ego project nowadays's, propelling themselves
into the event, trying to be part of the event, linguistic inflation is now the norm. Example: who can forget
Mark Johnson's commentary on Galileo's Derby. The premier race of the season, and someone let this gut loose.
Probably the most cringing commentary I've ever had to listen too, even Thompson never stooped that lowSad
Report penzance January 16, 2013 6:28 PM GMT
John Hunt excellent race caller,
different people will rate others.
Each to their own.
One I think is overrated is Bartlett.
Report bettysboy January 16, 2013 6:42 PM GMT
I've always found him (RH)to be a good caller as he lets people know what is what during a race
Report Makybe_Diva January 16, 2013 6:49 PM GMT
My fave commentator Happy
Report mmmalushka January 16, 2013 6:53 PM GMT
Simon Holt who sometimes posts on here as ratpack is the best commentaterer.
Report Stake & Chips January 16, 2013 6:53 PM GMT
Is this an in running players SEETHERS thread imo?!
Report Front-runner January 16, 2013 6:54 PM GMT
he is ok, it isn't like  we have a choice before each race as to who we listen too. I like comentators that do not have irratating voices, sounds odd, but after the 6th hour of replays , they can get on your nerves. Catt is the least annoying, don't know why. 

The presure is off them all now, as no one can ever be as bad a chapman was, in the entire equine world  history.
Report EVILROYSLADE January 16, 2013 6:55 PM GMT
Every time I bet in a race where RH commentates he always says my horse hasn't settled! Drives me mad! JINX!
Report EVILROYSLADE January 16, 2013 6:55 PM GMT
Holt is my fav!
Report 1st time poster January 16, 2013 7:02 PM GMT
good fishing mammalushka
Report bettysboy January 16, 2013 7:03 PM GMT
mmmalushka - i think you will find that ratpack is RH not SH
Report corbiewood January 16, 2013 7:03 PM GMT
mmmalushka     Joined: 30 Sep 02
Replies: 629 16 Jan 13 18:53 
Simon Holt who sometimes posts on here as ratpack is the best commentaterer.

Richard Hoiles posts as Ratpack.
Report bettysboy January 16, 2013 7:03 PM GMT
oh - i've been fooked Blush
Report corbiewood January 16, 2013 7:04 PM GMT
Blast Cry
Report duncan idaho January 17, 2013 8:51 AM GMT

Dr Crippen
16 Jan 13 18:16

We can get things very wrong regarding people who are in the public eye.

Nobody received any more flak than Richard Pitman, then at the age of 69 he donated one of his kidneys to a complete stranger.

I think the vast majority of his critics were referring to his banal presenting style and lack of formbook/betting awareness, not his underlying level of humanity FFS
Report Dr Crippen January 17, 2013 10:02 AM GMT
Well duncan idaho,

What about the posts about Pitman that were pure abuse FFS?
Report BIG GURU January 17, 2013 10:51 AM GMT
Coupla whoppers this time maloushker Laugh
Report ratpack January 17, 2013 11:45 AM GMT
some interesting points, always happy to take on board constructive comments.

sounds like trying to beef up content (esp in small field jumps races) coming over as self indulgent which is not meant to be the case (honest !)

Cheers Simon (not really).
Report duncan idaho January 17, 2013 11:50 AM GMT
pure abuse is always out of order, Dr Crippen
Report gerard January 17, 2013 11:58 AM GMT
Whilst "Sir Peter" undoubtedly provided an excellent soundtrack to decades of racing memories i do think he benefits from both rose tinted glasses and the fact he didn't commentate day in day out under constant scrutiny as they do today. I watched two races on You Tube the other day, both with commentaries by him, and he would have been slaughtered on here for his performance. In the first he gave a first mention to the always cantering, widly impressive Coventry winner Chief Singer as it strode clear in the final furlong, and in the second called The Tsarevitch "The Cesarewitch" all the way round, and then managed to get both horses fighting out the finish wrongly named. Just saying.
Report bluenose7 January 17, 2013 12:07 PM GMT
"RATPACK"

Did you not do a few day's on Betfair / Timeform radio as a guest ??

Must of been a coincidence they stopped the guest slot soon after,think cost was the reason,how much did you charge !!

Grin
Report ged January 17, 2013 12:14 PM GMT
In defence of "Sir Peter" (hi gerard), you're talking there about the 1980s, when he was well into his 60's, and some way past his best - he went on at least 10 years too long. My favourite ****-up of his was from a 3 mile hurdle in the 1980's at Ascot (perhaps the Long Walk), when Cliffalda was about 30 lengths clear of the field in the first mile, and Peter completely missed him for some way, and called the chasers as if they were in the lead.

My only criticism of RH would be his habit of predicting what's going to happen next, which seems to be a relatively new thing for commentators, and plenty of them are doing it. Maybe it comes from being in-running players in their 'spare' time.
Report gerard January 17, 2013 12:19 PM GMT
Good morning Ged. Certainly true about his sell by date. Clearly he was a class act, but you do get the impression that he never got anything wrong, which is plainly not the case.
Report SlippyBlue January 17, 2013 12:30 PM GMT
Richard Hoiles and Simon Holt are by some way the best in the business imo anyway.
Report volontiers January 17, 2013 12:39 PM GMT
I think Mick Fitzgerald should be allowed to commentate,

then some of you ne'er do wells will appreciate the likes of Tommo and Cattermole, let alone Hoilsey (as he likes to be called) Crazy
Report gerard January 17, 2013 12:41 PM GMT
I think you'll find he prefers The Hoilesmeister General imo.
Report ratpack January 17, 2013 12:42 PM GMT
I certainly hope it was coincidence!

Shame as enjoyed doing it but had the luxury of doing other things which some others involved do not so hopefully for them
will just prove temporary.
Report Arfur Ffoulkes-Aycke January 17, 2013 12:43 PM GMT
Ratters, I don't know why you bother. Some of this lot would pick holes in the careers of Mother Theresa, Gandhi and the Dalai Lama. Most of them couldn't tie their shoelaces without help. Confidence is everything, don't ever let the barstewards get you down. (Yes, I do like your commentaries? GrinGrin)
Report ratpack January 17, 2013 12:43 PM GMT
my actual nickname seems fortunately not yet to have made it onto here.
Report Arfur Ffoulkes-Aycke January 17, 2013 12:44 PM GMT
.(Stray question mark apology)
Report Brother Mouzone January 17, 2013 12:46 PM GMT
I wouldn't take any of the criticism on board if I were Richard, he prob just called a race where someone did their nuts.

With sheeitehawks like Barty, Thompson and Cattermole calling races I struggle to pick out Hoiles for anything negative.
Report salmon spray January 17, 2013 12:50 PM GMT
I find most of the UK callers unobtrusive,which they should be,and generally accurate. Thommo and Cattermole I notice and find irritating but even they are much better than a few at US tracks who are so bad as to be almost laughable.
Report volontiers January 17, 2013 12:51 PM GMT
the commentators I mute are, in no order,

Tommo
Cattermole
Bartlet
Scahill
Goode (rip)
Aussie bloke
Report Callyboy January 17, 2013 12:56 PM GMT
Ratpack your commentaries are very accurate, too accurate if you are not a track player.
With the prevailing time delays especially ATR tracks all you are doing is marking the track players cards first giving them an even greater advantage. For example when you inform us mid race a horse was free to post it immediately drifts in the market regardless of how it is travelling making it almost impossible to trade.
Its not your problem that what you say has a major effect on the in running market which is why stay at home punters prefer the likes of catt giving the call as its usually littered with mistakes.
Report rcing January 17, 2013 12:57 PM GMT
Hoilsey for sure is a good commentator .
everyone has there favourites for different reasons , i like pugh and hunt , but hoiles would be 3rd behind them 2 .

there is no one else that i can think of in this industry who time and again will come onto this forum to discuss things with fellow forumites . he is a top bloke for doing so .
Report bluenose7 January 17, 2013 1:04 PM GMT

Jan 17, 2013 -- 6:42AM, ratpack wrote:

I certainly hope it was coincidence! Shame as enjoyed doing it but had the luxury of doing other things which some others involved do not so hopefully for themwill just prove temporary.

If you are ok to comment,do you know the reason for the axing of the "guest"  Confused

Was it money,someone off here tried to find out,but got fobbed off,think there is a bit confusion who actually ran/paid for the service,Timeform or is it Betfair who paid the £`s. 

Thx's.  Cool

Report knot in wood January 17, 2013 1:06 PM GMT
yes far to accurate,spots the non jiggers which im following for the future.
eg kings horse in the novice hurdle yesterday.im shouting at the screen..dont say anything,dont say anything.
Report duncan idaho January 17, 2013 2:58 PM GMT
what callyboy and knot in wood said  Sad
Report Marcce January 17, 2013 4:23 PM GMT
A commentator's job is to inform the viewer what happens during a race.

It drives me nuts when you hear commentators say horse x suddenly comes under pressure when you know it's ears have been pushed off for the past 6 furlongs or completely failing to spot it when something makes a juddering mistake.

As far as I'm concerned RH misses less of these than any other commentator around which puts him well ahead of the rest in my book.

There's some bad ones around but commentary has greatly improved even in the last 15 years or so. Who was the bloke that used to turn into coughing Bob Fleming every time things started to get exciting for instance? Was it Robin Gray?
Report Nightfly January 17, 2013 5:01 PM GMT
its really a difference of opinion on commentating styles...i'm not saying yer man is not accurate far from it..By and large if you check the colurs you can see whats going on for yourself , i just find todays commentators too much. just tone it down fellers..i dont particurlarly want to hit the mute button all the time coz you lose the atmosphere,,just wish a lot of the time you could 'mute the commentator only'  come on you techy boys i'm sure you can do it!
But goos race callers should be like good refeerees unfussed unnoticed. take an note Mark 'They're in thr gate' Johnson his rat-a- tat-tat american stuff does my nuts in,
Its like on a wet wednesday evening at Kempton and makes a lowly claimer sound like the world cup grand national and derby all in one race..He sounds ridiculous.
Report volontiers January 17, 2013 5:10 PM GMT
maybe you'd prefer the American style of commentating by numbers and that's all Crazy
Report 1st time poster January 17, 2013 5:12 PM GMT
callyboy you wernt complaining when he called the wrong winner 100yds out twice last year,or are you in the gang,
amazing isnt it you get a dozen or so posts having a small pop at ratty he pops in a reply and right on cue the sychophants come out of the woodwork,be careful if you meet any at the races ratty they,ll piss themselves if you so much as look at them
Report starfish and coffee January 17, 2013 5:23 PM GMT
If you have backed the winner they all sound great. However if you're doing your balls they all sound the most annoying people on earth.
Report One Nation January 17, 2013 5:37 PM GMT
I agree with the opening post.

The guy is an excellent commentator - he misses very little and spots things most don't. He should focus on that though - telling us what he thinks is about to happen is unnecessary and smacks of trying to look clever.

A good example was My Tent or Yours at Ascot - the commentator was so desperate to tells us it didn't find much in a race last year (the fact that it was a fair observation is irrelevant) that he got his words in a muddle at a crucial stage of the race and looked a complete pillock.
Report Vubiant January 17, 2013 5:41 PM GMT
Glad to see more people have seen what I pointed out years ago.
Report Cork Langer January 17, 2013 5:48 PM GMT
I have always held the view that a commentator is incidental and of no consequence.
Unless you have the misfortune to be blind or are visually impaired by colour blindness, surely you should be using your own eyes to make your decisions, why would anyone want to rely on somebody else's words to make their plays...?
Report motley01 January 17, 2013 6:02 PM GMT
Unfortunately he knows the game inside out em I'm not sure about that,
as with most of the so called pundits, 90% of them couldn't put a bridle on a horse,
have never ridden, trained or handled a horse in their life. They just repeat stuff they've heard.
Their lack of in-debt knowledge is readily apparent.
As for Mr Hoiles, it's very admirable and honest that he comes on here and responds.
Report Nightfly January 17, 2013 6:06 PM GMT
Quite funny Cork in a dark sort of way... racing commentary should be like back ground music at a restaurant. not blasting led zepplin style facts and figures and encyclopedic knowledge of every horse out there...take it easy guys  and you will all be a lot better with a calmer deliverey,
though one suspects the powers that be demand high pressure commentaries coz thats what the punters want coz they cant fink for themselves...step forward that irish commentator..i sometimes think heez gonna have a heart attack or is having one at the climax of a 5 runner novice chase at Fairyhouse..Completely mad. And not good to listen to. A right turn off
Report Cork Langer January 17, 2013 6:41 PM GMT
Nightfly, a fine example our Des, reason if anyone needs it to use the mute button, and rely on their own eyes, Des is an institution in Irish broadcasting circles which has allowed him to go on for so long, his last error free commentary...? Has there ever been one...?
No chance of any change for you until he decides to call it a day I'm afraid.
I find that watching in silence you see an awful lot more, the only downside is not hearing the crowd roar, but that really own applies to the festival meetings so is a small price to pay in reality.
Report 1st time poster January 17, 2013 6:51 PM GMT
being the highlight of the last few years listening to des trying to say quantativeasing,shame really these days he could just get away with QE, LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report Rollo Tomasi January 17, 2013 7:57 PM GMT
Callyboy is shrewd and this is exactly why Hoiles should retire and given Graham Goode another chance.
Report Marcce January 17, 2013 8:01 PM GMT
em I'm not sure about that,
as with most of the so called pundits, 90% of them couldn't put a bridle on a horse,
have never ridden, trained or handled a horse in their life.

Why would they need that knowledge to read a race?

Probably 99% of successful punters won't have done any of those things either.
Report SlippyBlue January 17, 2013 8:04 PM GMT
The old " exactly how many winners have you ever ridden?" argument. I'm not a three star Michelin rated chef but I certainly know when I've been given a shoddy meal.
Report morpteh mackem January 17, 2013 8:26 PM GMT
bring back graeme pay pay pay goodePlain
Report Arfur Ffoulkes-Aycke January 17, 2013 8:58 PM GMT
So, the nay sayers want to have a commentary that doesn't run through the horses from first to last, to not give an opinion on what's actually happening in a race, and to speak quietly and not get too excited. FFS, the likes of Vubiant, 1sttime et al should find a different hobby. Not just clueless, just plain fu*kwits.
Report ratpack January 17, 2013 9:04 PM GMT
just a random selection of points :

nightfly - do remember a significant % of those taking the commentary do not have pictures. Doesn't negate some of the points but worth pointing out that sometitmes
in trying to serve several different users there have to be compromises.

Motley01- not having ridden means I would never comment on a jockeys style etc but think how horses are best ridden tactically doesn't require any riding experience. Several jockeys use good form book students to advise tactics etc.

One Nation - think yours is the best example on the thread of the general point being made.

Finally am far concerned with being compared to Mother Theresa than Motty. If it had been Alan Green however then I my polite fascade would have dropped and told you all to **** ***.
Report aberdonia January 17, 2013 9:05 PM GMT
Hoiles is an excellent commentator.

However if ive had a bet i much prefer to mute

My eyes normally, dont lie. Happy
Report bluenose7 January 17, 2013 9:07 PM GMT

Jan 17, 2013 -- 7:04AM, bluenose7 wrote:

Jan 17, 2013 -- 12:42PM, ratpack wrote:I certainly hope it was coincidence! Shame as enjoyed doing it but had the luxury of doing other things which some others involved do not so hopefully for themwill just prove temporary.If you are ok to comment,do you know the reason for the axing of the "guest"  Was it money,someone off here tried to find out,but got fobbed off,think there is a bit confusion who actually ran/paid for the service,Timeform or is it Betfair who paid the £`s.  Thx's. 

Blush  Mischief

Report aberdonia January 17, 2013 9:10 PM GMT
ratpack

If it had been Alan Green however then I my polite fascade would have dropped and told you all to **** ***.

You are a man of great insight. Shocked

That man............... is a legend in his own infantile mind.
Report R Carver January 17, 2013 10:08 PM GMT
Hoiles is probably the best commentator IMO out there. Really rate Mark Johnston too and think John Hunt is badly wasted on R5 Live. The halcyon days when they split the 3 days festival between them are much missed by me. I am rather sad I guess but the choice of commentator makes something of a difference to my racecourse experience (I go 30+ times through the winter and half a dozen through the flat season (I'm a NH man)). The best commentators should work the big days.

I only watch racing at the track itself or on RUK / ATR and never on C4. I think terrestial commentators are disadvantaged by having to (seemingly) describe the pictures on the screen. On track calling involves (seemingly / hopefully) using binoculars and race reading generally, rather than image-led description. All the commentators who work on C4 IMO come over much better when they are actually also commentating for the track.

That digression aside, I would say Hoiles' general knowledge / race reading and passion come accros better than anyone (with JOhnston) and in the heat of the moment (i.e., a tight, exciting finish) he never seems to stumble. He never (or rarely, as far as i can tell) makes factual errors. He misses little. Some of his commentaries have been memorable - Long Run's Gold Cup, JOhn Dunlop's Doncaster Cup winner this yr (name escapes me, maybe Olden Times?).

Without naming names, some make error after error, are hesitant and seem to have no clue about the form or significance of what they are watching.

Mid-week, I think Ian Mackenzie and Martin Harris are terrific too. The 'Harris-pause' ('and they're off... the break cleanly...') is terrific. Graham Goode in his pomp had tremendous authority.

Don't let the ******* get you down Ratpack and keep getting the big gigs with Johnston!
Report R Carver January 17, 2013 10:11 PM GMT
Hoiles is probably the best commentator IMO out there. Really rate Mark Johnston too and think John Hunt is badly wasted on R5 Live. The halcyon days when they split the 3 days festival between them are much missed by me. I am rather sad I guess but the choice of commentator makes something of a difference to my racecourse experience (I go 30+ times through the winter and half a dozen through the flat season (I'm a NH man)). The best commentators should work the big days.

I only watch racing at the track itself or on RUK / ATR and never on C4. I think terrestial commentators are disadvantaged by having to (seemingly) describe the pictures on the screen. On track calling involves (seemingly / hopefully) using binoculars and race reading generally, rather than image-led description. All the commentators who work on C4 IMO come over much better when they are actually also commentating for the track.

That digression aside, I would say Hoiles' general knowledge / race reading and passion come accros better than anyone (with JOhnston) and in the heat of the moment (i.e., a tight, exciting finish) he never seems to stumble. He never (or rarely, as far as i can tell) makes factual errors. He misses little. Some of his commentaries have been memorable - Long Run's Gold Cup, JOhn Dunlop's Doncaster Cup winner this yr (name escapes me, maybe Olden Times?).

Without naming names, some make error after error, are hesitant and seem to have no clue about the form or significance of what they are watching.

Mid-week, I think Ian Mackenzie and Martin Harris are terrific too. The 'Harris-pause' ('and they're off... the break cleanly...') is terrific. Graham Goode in his pomp had tremendous authority.

Don't let the ******* get you down Ratpack and keep getting the big gigs with Johnston!
Report R Carver January 17, 2013 10:13 PM GMT
* Times Up!
Report R Carver January 17, 2013 10:33 PM GMT
The best commentary in recent times IMO would be Des Scahill calling Limestone Lad (perhaps my favourite horse) to beat Istabraq (maybe also my favourite horse) in the Hatton's Grace 99.

Other more obvious memorable TV ones would be Sir Peter O'Sulevan calling Dawn Run for the BBC, his great call on Desert Orchid in 89 and his shock and awe at the great, great performance of Carvills Hill in the Welsh (National my favourite performance of all time!). I think in those days the TV companies deployed fewer cameras and few close ups making commentary less image-led.
Report One Nation January 18, 2013 11:47 AM GMT
Fair play for replying, good luck Richard.
Report ratpack January 18, 2013 12:23 PM GMT
cheers for those who hve responded on either side of the fence even my old friends 1st time poster and Vubiant - Happy New Year to you both.

Both ged and Nightfly who posted towards the top of this thread were I am pretty sure long standing competitors in the naps competition on here which I used
to run so didn't want them thinking had risen above my station or that their comments were not taken on board.

Does that naps comp still run  ?
Report Nightfly January 18, 2013 3:23 PM GMT
Thanks Ratpack..let me say what started out as a 'bit of a pop' at a particular racecalling style seems to have taken on a bit more than anticipated...
That aside i admire your passion for the game and anyone who loves tha game with that intensity is alright by me.

I'd forgotten you ran the naps table and as it happens, managed to fluke a second pace with something like +49 about 4 or 5 years ago.Though sadly i never got my promised tshirt as a prize (as a podium finish) from Bfair..bunch of mean bar stewards..

After 25 years working for HMRC i got out when I could (financial blackmail to get me to leave!) and I now work for The Tote On course whch i mainly enjoy though less now Baldie has taken it over...So if you're around i might pop over and say Nightfly..with just one request...No more 'Niggled Along' coz it means ive probably done my dough and you've just let me know with my must unloved word! and its gonna be pasta tonight instead of a chinese!!!

Happy New Year.
Report ratpack January 18, 2013 3:52 PM GMT
Please do come and say hello. 

Will try and limit niggled along in line with whip guidelines though it may also take me a while to get the hang of it.

You may be in line for a quiet few days.
Report Nightfly January 18, 2013 4:00 PM GMT
Fair enough Ratpack..will try not to say hello whist your in commentary! Anyways i#ve got a good stock of pasta in the cupboard so wont be starving.
Report ratpack January 18, 2013 4:03 PM GMT
Hard to mute me if you are on course. Recommend a good set of ear muffs.
Report 1st time poster January 18, 2013 4:25 PM GMT
well done ratty thats the sign of a class act,when you can go from being a so so commentator to the best in the buisness,without donning your microphone,pure genius,
so you must feel sick in the stomach when you meet the gushers and sycophants on here,
there the sort of people who slagg of footballers,managers,jockeys, trainers etc and if they were ever introduced to them would melt in front of them,

i sat at lennie lawrences table at the arc a few years back and told him  he was the best manager boro had ever had,he said do you think so, i said absolutely  you helped bring bryan robson to the club Laugh,
Report Blackwater January 18, 2013 4:40 PM GMT
Does he show up drunk every day?

Does he front ad campaigns for the Magic Sign?

Would he appear on Celebrity Wife Swap?

Has he ever called someone a 'focking mongrel' live on air?

Did he get his job becuase of who he is related to, or sleeping with?

Would he commentate without bothering to learn the colours?

Has he ever been rude, contemptuous or disrespectful towards racegoers or viewers?

If you can answer 'no' to all of the above it automatically puts the commentator concerned into the top 10% of racing broadcasters.
Report ratpack January 18, 2013 6:09 PM GMT
Know a massive Boro fan commutes up to most matches think his father had something to do with running club at one stage,

Good youth policy , we had Turnbull off you on loan for a while in his pre Chelsea days, big fan of those clubs that invest in youth.

You are welcome to come and say hello as well :)
Report 1st time poster January 18, 2013 6:17 PM GMT
you rarely set foot up narth, Wink, teams who invest in youth usualy only go one way ie boro,villa,
as ive said on the footie forum theres no skill in sending out a team of young local players every team could do it,the reason most dont is because there usualy not good enough,and as fans give local players more time and the benefit of any doubt, by the time managers realise it,the ruts set in,just my theory
Report ratpack January 18, 2013 7:08 PM GMT
may depend on how high up the league your ambitions are.

As a Crewe fan bringing on the youth is the real pleasure in following them. Powell and Westwood to Premier league clubs within last twelve months, Murphy
prob Championship next close. However realistically League 1 is as high as we will be in the current financial climate.

However money in the game means there probably is a ceiling to how far that can take you before you need to buy in from outside pay the wages etc which ruins
the youth structure and opportunities
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com