Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Barzalona
09 Jan 13 11:09
| Topic/replies: 2,796 | Blogger: Barzalona's blog
Former Channel 4 racing pundit John McCririck is seeking £3m in damages from the broadcaster after he was dropped last year

Sky News
Pause Switch to Standard View Big Mac suing Channel 4 for £3M
Show More
Report fawwon January 9, 2013 7:05 PM GMT
Report kavvie January 9, 2013 7:08 PM GMT
nice use name john...ski wiz..very nice!!
Report Dr Crippen January 9, 2013 7:18 PM GMT
Big Mac is about to prove the saying that ‘’there is no fool like an old fool.’’

I thought he was older than seventy two by the way he shakes.
Report treetop January 9, 2013 7:18 PM GMT
Well said ...facts...
Report PompeyMike January 9, 2013 7:23 PM GMT
I expect its just a ploy to get some sort of settlement, rather than a serious attempt to take it to court.
Report bellico January 9, 2013 7:25 PM GMT
Agree Pompey.just wants them to give him some F off  money
Report treetop January 9, 2013 7:29 PM GMT
So, why should the incoming company pay him anything ? Channel 4 contracted Highflyer to provide racing services so why have channel 4 got to pay him at all ?
Report DUNERUNNER January 9, 2013 7:31 PM GMT
Is, has always been and always will be a self publicist - this is just yet another example!
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby January 9, 2013 7:31 PM GMT
No wonder youth unemployment is so high with cretins like this still wanting more gravy at 72!!??!?!?
Report scaredmoney January 9, 2013 7:39 PM GMT
Ski-Wiz • January 9, 2013 6:58 PM GMT
By looking at the posts so far.......most people on here are incredibly ignorant, naive, envious and jealous. Many also thinks ageism is ok.

Firstly i am surprise he IS 72......thought he was a younger than that.

Secondly IMO he was the best presenter for racing for a long time and still is. Being pushed out is sad news. Other presenters are painfully boring to watch. All they do is stand there and talk into a microphone, they have no personality or character........just dead wood.

Hope he wins.

Good evening John Plain
Report acey deucy January 9, 2013 7:43 PM GMT
Silly Old Fool,move aside you Old Relic, you had a good run.
Report racingstar January 9, 2013 7:46 PM GMT
Some might say,"a charmed run",Acey.
Channel4 bailed the clueless ponce out when he owed Victor.
The worst days work they ever did,imo.
The only person he ever helped was himself.
Report big aitch January 9, 2013 7:48 PM GMT
c4 stabbed him in the back, com back Thommo,Mac and Franks all is forgiven
Report Dr Crippen January 9, 2013 7:48 PM GMT
They had him on when he started to simply shout the odds and do the ticktack at the same time, and as he worked his way into the team, they asked for his opinions and he always sided with the punter.

He hasn't always been regarded as a berk, but He did what they all do by hanging on for too long.
Report racingstar January 9, 2013 7:50 PM GMT
Doc,
The fat ponce soon worked out a way to ingratiate himself by being "the punters friend".
In reality,the ex Public Schoolboy despised them.
Report kevo January 9, 2013 7:51 PM GMT
Whippin Piccadilly Joined: 02 Mar 07 Replies: 927 09 Jan 13 16:32 

Ladcrooks will surely be looking to drop him from their retarded ads now he's no longer a regular fixture on C4 racing.

Yes this advert just about sums McCririck up. No sense of shame and not an ounce of dignity.
Report scaredmoney January 9, 2013 7:52 PM GMT
Dr Crippen • January 9, 2013 7:48 PM GMT
They had him on when he started to simply shout the odds and do the ticktack at the same time, and as he worked his way into the team, they asked for his opinions and he always sided with the punter.

He hasn't always been regarded as a berk, but He did what they all do by hanging on for too long.

Just like he did with the Laddies free bet fiasco......his silence was deafening

a rancid,rancid man
Report acey deucy January 9, 2013 7:54 PM GMT
The Biggest Hypocrie in Racing, by a Distance.
Report Arklearkle January 9, 2013 8:00 PM GMT
Bit the hand which fed him
Report ebulGery January 9, 2013 8:08 PM GMT
I never found him that bad
but a love him or hate him kind of character

He is in the entertainment business..often it is governed by flavour of the month
new faces replace old, etc...does not guarantee you a job for life..things like viewer figures, advertising revenue matter
retire gracefully imo
Report patsyone January 9, 2013 8:47 PM GMT
BEST THING HE COULD DO,AS AFTER INDUSTRIAL TRIBUNAL NO ONE WILL TOUCH
HIM WITH A BARGE POLE WIN OR LOSE
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby January 9, 2013 8:58 PM GMT

Angel Gabrial

Angel Gabrial
09 Jan 13 18:01
| Topic/replies: 9,379 | Blogger: Angel Gabrial's blog
Check Big Mac out in the 1970`s. He was groovy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK4ifBmkIeU

He looks like David Mitchell with Mutton chops

he looks like the bloke who had his head put in a basket in braveheart!

Did someone tell him is was fancy dress? But then, this chap has obviously always looked like a cross between Amos Brearly and Inspector Clouseau.

If Middle-England had pimps, they'd look like McCririck looks in this clip.

Laugh
Report patsyone January 9, 2013 9:04 PM GMT
Jocked off asked why BIG MAC thought Igm was obliged to take him on,
THAT COMES DOWN TO A SECTION OF THE EMPLOYMENT ACT KNOWN AS.  TUPE
Where by a company taking over a contract are obliged in law to offer like for like jobs to employees of company losing contract.
You could argue that having kept TANYA that the BETTING RING JOB STILL EXSISTED
Report ebulGery January 9, 2013 9:14 PM GMT
using that argument Sean Connery should till be starring in the Bond MoviesShocked
Report racingstar January 9, 2013 9:17 PM GMT
Do not seek employment in the Legal professsion Patsy!
Report Angel Gabrial January 10, 2013 12:19 AM GMT
DJQLaugh

Are we the only ones to have seen this clip!Shocked

It`s certainly a eye opener to see Big Mac as a virile hipster!
Report millhouse January 10, 2013 12:20 AM GMT
How dare C4 not want unashamed sexism, horrible misogyny and thoroughly hypocritical and reactionary right wing vitriol spewed out to their audience by a hopelessly faded freak show, imo...
Report Angel Gabrial January 10, 2013 12:20 AM GMT
One last time.

Big Mac in the 1970`s as a virile hipster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK4ifBmkIeU
Report brigust1 January 10, 2013 12:30 AM GMT
Big Mac promoted himself as the 'punters friend' now he is trying to get a job as the 'oldies friend'. Whats the betting some programme respresenting the elderly employs him after this, or because of this?
Report Dr Gonzo January 10, 2013 12:40 AM GMT

How dare C4 not want unashamed sexism, horrible misogyny and thoroughly hypocritical and reactionary right wing vitriol spewed out to their audience by a hopelessly faded freak show, imo...

I hope it does go to court, and IMG show a nice selection of clips, such as his appearences on Big Brother and Wife Swap, clips from some of his 'performances' on C4, and of course examples of his laughable hypocrisy.

Then they can explain how, after investing significant amounts of money in their new product, how they don't feel he is appropriate to be involved in their coverage in this day and age.
Report EastLower Gooner January 10, 2013 1:55 AM GMT
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Haters+Gonna+Hate_c3d412_3470077.jpg
Report EastLower Gooner January 10, 2013 2:07 AM GMT
I'm with Big Mac. Ageism in the modern workplace is real horrible sh*t. More power to home. Hope he wins. Glad he's proposed that some of the potential fees will be used to combat this dispicable workplace crime. 

Been working in global finance the last couple of years and I can tell you the sh*t I've encountered purely because someone is older and think they know better than me is a complete joke. Thankfully after cutting my teeth on here for so long on here I just let them dig their own graves. Worked a treat.

If I could actually prove that some of these ol' farts are actually making more than purely becaue of their age and length of service with the company even though I'm destroying them every day then I'd do the same exact thing as Big Mc. Pretty sure I'm right...just cant prove it.

Anyhow...that's just my own personal view on the topic of ageism. you can all go back to hating on Big Mc ;-)
Report ebulGery January 10, 2013 2:36 AM GMT
I dont think Big Mac thinks he is being discriminated against because he is too young tbhShocked
which seems the gist of your postConfusedConfused

I dont  really see how it can apply to entertainment anyway
Report bf_fananatic January 10, 2013 2:40 AM GMT
Good luck to the old fella and I can just imagine him at the stand in court waving his arms and pointing at
C4 calling the odds in tick tack man fashion, should be one of the best cases in years IMOWink
Report artie January 10, 2013 3:18 AM GMT
I hope he wins and gets his job back.Ludicrous characters are more entertaining than bland dead wood.
Report Happy Valley January 10, 2013 3:21 AM GMT
He's such a phoney and I detest him. I just can't help feeling he's got a good case as he is surely still a big drawcard, as witnessed by the popularity of this thread and the strength of opinions for and against.
Report Pie Mon January 10, 2013 6:52 AM GMT
On daybreak now ITV1
Report Captain Christy January 10, 2013 7:47 AM GMT
I assume we will just have to suffer the **** even more on ATR instead now.
Report metro john January 10, 2013 8:28 AM GMT
Big Mac may very well win this claim,with the goverments trying to keep us all in work till we die,it will be interesting to watch the result?
Report Eont January 10, 2013 9:00 AM GMT
No win no fee means he is highly likely to get a result.

The obvious reason is Rishi (I would not be suprised if he did not have the worst audience data results of all who worked for the BBC and C4).

If his ring job had gone they shopuld still have offered him a similar job if his feed back results were better than someone still employed.

Therefore why could not Big Mac not be given the chance to ask stupid questions to connections after the race, he would excel at it.

I think there are people who have jobs (more than one) who are worse than Big Mac and better presenters who no longer have jobs.
Report holywell January 10, 2013 9:18 AM GMT
'Therefore why could not Big Mac not be given the chance to ask stupid questions to connections after the race he would excel at it'

Eont,

You've answered your own question, they would be stupid questions from Big Mac, hopefully the new team will not be carrying out worthless interviews.

People within racing don't want to be interviewed by Mcririck, could end up with no one to talk too meaning we would have to listen more to the expert airtime filler Graham Cunningham.
Report Eont January 10, 2013 9:58 AM GMT
Holywell, I was saying Big Mac could ask the stupid questions Rishi, Spencer ans Plunkett ask.

If you read the C4 website it seems that Big Mac, Down and Thomo are seriously missed already and more popular than many who have jobs.

If the audience research backed those comments up, Big Mac would have a good case. So would the other two as well (may be they are doing it with less fan fare).
Report jamilla14 January 10, 2013 10:15 AM GMT
Why does Big Mac think he should have a job for life ? He has said himself that he has been with the programme since the mid 80s.Perhaps the new people viewed him as old hat.I certainly did.Same old same old.Boring.
Report pedrobob January 10, 2013 10:57 AM GMT
it's a sad state of affairs when Mac believes he is the "face of racing".

It is true that the non-racing media often ask him for an opinion to express to the non-racing population.

But when you think they could ask Brough Scott, Peter O'Sullevan, Paul Bittar, Greg Wood, Richard Hoiles, Jim McGrath, Nick Luck.... to name but a few who would be considerably more enlightened on all things racing than Mac.

At least IMG have had the good sense to rectify matters.
Report Steamship January 10, 2013 11:13 AM GMT
Whenever there is a story in racing they always go to Mc Crirrick, I don't know why.Yes people will miss him at first but the new team are there now. Why can't he just accept it? As time has gone by he has made what was a funny informative character into a buffoon and a greedy misguided one at that.
Report holywell January 10, 2013 11:37 AM GMT
He was once an award winning journalist who like many others joined the gravy train where of course your principles are compromised. It is sad that the national media always turn to Mcririck when the sport is in the news for the wrong reasons.
Report boy wonder 07 January 10, 2013 12:31 PM GMT
great decision to drop the useless bastard what actually did he give to the show many of us could sit there and tic tac the odds as he does i think he believes he is the last living person who remembers this long lost art no longer needed in the betting ring as a reader of form he was hopeless and his rants about the whip embarrassing when addressing top jockeys and telling them they shouldnt need it i bet he's never had the balls to sit on a horse never mind ride one good riddance one of the most despicable human beings i have ever witnessed
Report holywell January 10, 2013 12:33 PM GMT
Not a fan then boy wonder. LaughLaugh
Report boy wonder 07 January 10, 2013 12:50 PM GMT
lol did i give something away
Report millhouse January 10, 2013 2:37 PM GMT
I've no doubt most people who have had to deal with him would agree with Boy Wonder.

Plenty of people will be very happy at his demise, imo, and it's no less than he deserves...
Report Clerkmore January 10, 2013 2:42 PM GMT
Can't understand this at all. He was employed on a rolling contract not as a member of staff. He has no chance of winning and he has put paid to any chance of any future work with the channel if they had a change of heart.
Report unbiased January 10, 2013 2:53 PM GMT
All sports had their characters,but the shows move on,and changes don't alter the viewing of the sport.
Think of Arlott,Johnstone,Lowe,Mc.Claren etc.,all giants in their sports,but it carries on well without them,leaving us with fond memories.
  I am strongly in the well-rid camp.Big Mac still thinks he is clever when he uses tick tack to emphasise a price,something that disappeared from the courses years ago(Doc,Rocky,Mickey).
  Listening to him being interviewed on Radio2,he came over as a big-headed know-all,saying he had done this that and tother.He should be told that the game has drastically changed and is run along different lines from yesteryear.Besides which there are others around with a decent television persona that can do the job.
He was good for many years,and got fame ,and a great living from his work,and should now bow out gracefully,not in his aggressive manner,with lawsuits.
Report Whippin Piccadilly January 10, 2013 4:03 PM GMT
I don't hate the guy! In fact I found him mildly amusing when I first got into the game as a 16 year old in the mid 90s. But, the last few years he's become a flustered old man and was making too many mistakes. He was probably not helped by having that crow Tanya on his shoulder. Her voice is like someone scrapping their nails down a blackboard and I think we'd all make mistakes with her wittering on at our sides. She doesn't bring anything to the table and I find the whole person in the betting ring completely outdated. What purpose does it serve to go on about horses being backed or not, hours before the race in question? The ones being backed tend to be the ones put up by Tom Segal or the horse has rattled off 3 wins on the spin without coming off the bridle and the drifters tend to be horses who are trying a new trip, surface or coming back from a long absence. All you need is to keep the betting market (exchange & bookie) up at the side of the screen for the few minutes up to each race start and you can make your own minds up on what's off and not off. Or better still have a changing plus & minus percentage figure by each runners price from when the market first opened.
Report Cantthinkofaclevername January 10, 2013 4:10 PM GMT
Don't know if this is relevant or not but if Big Mac has a case why didn't Arlene Phillips have one against the BBC when she was jocked off Strictly for someone who knew nothing about dancing?
Report unbiased January 10, 2013 4:17 PM GMT
Knowledge is one part of job,good personality is another important part.Many find Big Mac totally obnoxious,due to his Victorian mannerisms,and Channel 4 probably thought it wasn't worth the gamble sticking with him.
Just on this forum alone there are plenty pleased to see him go,says it all.The times they are a changin.
Report artie January 10, 2013 4:23 PM GMT
I doubt this forum is representative of the viewing public.There can't be that many pocket talking haters out there.
Report jonjo January 10, 2013 4:26 PM GMT
Arch Thatcherite, free-market merchant who thinks we are all in compettition with each other & believes in survival of the fittest..........goes moaning & whingeing when he loses his cushy job, but said the miners just had to accept it when THATCH shut the pits.......Hope he starves.
Report holywell January 10, 2013 4:27 PM GMT
artie,

I was out for a drink yesterday and one of the lads I drink with who has no interest racing said to me
artie,

I was out for a drink yesterday and one of the lads I drink with who has no interest racing said to me
artie,

artie,

artie,

Report holywell January 10, 2013 4:32 PM GMT
'it's just been on the news that John Mcririck is sueing for unfair dismissal, he's an obnoxious **** whose lucky to be working at his age', one of the other guys, once again no interest in racing said 'he's a right prat'. By the number of posts above you'd think I'd been out on the drink today.Grin
Report gerard January 10, 2013 4:37 PM GMT
I thought you were going for a "12 days of Christmas" style post there Holywell.
Report holywell January 10, 2013 4:41 PM GMT
LaughLaughLaugh
Report zilzal1 January 10, 2013 4:41 PM GMT
Too F'in true Jonjo, arch Hypocrite, had enough bail outs himself
Report artie January 10, 2013 4:43 PM GMT
Well if "one of the lads" said it,then that's conclusive,and the whole country hates Big Mac !!
Report holywell January 10, 2013 4:44 PM GMT
But they love 'Thommo'. Grin
Report artie January 10, 2013 4:49 PM GMT
Anyone who doesn't appreciate that Tommo is a first class commentator/presenter is an idiot.
Report holywell January 10, 2013 4:54 PM GMT
Under constant fire artie I admire your unerring support for 'Tommo'.
Report artie January 10, 2013 4:56 PM GMT
Nothing to do with support,just a statement of fact.
Report Clerkmore January 10, 2013 4:58 PM GMT
Then you must be a bigger bollocks than him, I would suggest!
Report artie January 10, 2013 5:00 PM GMT
Suggest all you like.
Report Brian January 10, 2013 5:06 PM GMT
What a ridicolous world we live in when a freelance contractor can even think of sueing for millions for flimsy reasons. My opinion of the man which was very high has dropped to the basement.
Report motley01 January 10, 2013 5:16 PM GMT
Artie every time you post, all I can see is Roy Hattersley, you really are
a boring c00nt, arn't you eh. Anyone that jams themselves right up that t0ssers
a-re has to be a gimp
Report artie January 10, 2013 5:17 PM GMT
He's not messing about.Ho.Ho.Ho.
Report motley01 January 10, 2013 5:20 PM GMT
Fcuking idiot
Report artie January 10, 2013 5:24 PM GMT
Whoa big eunuch.
Report motley01 January 10, 2013 5:25 PM GMT
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Report Cantthinkofaclevername January 10, 2013 6:06 PM GMT
If he is using something like TUPE to argue his case, it will be the ultimate in hypocrisy as he would normally be railing against what he would perceive as an anti-free-market concept.
I am sure after the announcement was made, Big Mac said C4 were within their rights to employ who they wanted and his only gripe was the manner it was done.
Have always thought he was a self-serving hypocrit. Looks like he is proving it.
Report yummy January 10, 2013 6:09 PM GMT
I'm thinking of suing them too. I just bought a widescreen TV and then they go and sack MACK
Report telepathic January 10, 2013 8:40 PM GMT
Go on Mac get in to them - anybody who employs Claire Balding deserves to be sued - the only thing shes not doing at the minute is reading the news - but give it timeSad
Report treetop January 10, 2013 8:46 PM GMT
well said cant'thnink, it is complete hypocrisy coming from a man who has raged against most regulation of that sort
Report telepathic January 10, 2013 8:53 PM GMT
Clare Balding is being described as a National Treasure - right,where the f*** did they dig her up?

The oldies are still the best!!!Grin
Report millhouse January 10, 2013 10:39 PM GMT
It says a lot about the man that he hasn't stopped for one second to ask himself whether the reason he's no longer required is because he is not doing a good enough job, or because the people watching don't actually want him.

They really do think that once they are on the gravy train they are entitled to a job for life, imo...
Report blackbarn January 10, 2013 11:14 PM GMT
Some wasted time going on here.

His claim will stand or fall by the terms of his employment contract and the nature of his "dismissal". It is very likely that the outcome will have little to do with how "good" (or otherwise) he was at his job.

For me, I am totally indifferent to the outcome, but I wish him every success in his continued efforts in exposing his irrelevance and incompetence.
Report geordie1956 January 10, 2013 11:27 PM GMT
If he was engaged under a service contract he wouldn't be an employee - most celebrities (sic) signed them to avoid PAYE - his claim will fail at the first hurdle
Report geos1 January 10, 2013 11:29 PM GMT
mac knows he has'nt been sacked for being too old.he's been sacked for being too sexist,and by a bra burning feminist who should be at home doing some cleaning and cooking probably.i will miss him,good luck mac,i knew it was the thin end of the wedge when they were allowed the vote
Report blackbarn January 11, 2013 12:25 AM GMT
Thanks for the contribution Geordie. This is not quite as simple as you think, but then you couldn't be bothered to research the issue or even read even the recent parts of the thread.
Report xmoneyx January 11, 2013 1:20 AM GMT
every time I see ladcroaks commercial --I feel like putting my foot thru tv Cool
Report andyl January 11, 2013 2:05 AM GMT
anyone who saw him on channel 4's other programme wife swap would think FAT USELESS SELFISH ARROGANT PIGHEADED ****....GOOD RIDDANCE
Report holywell January 11, 2013 8:53 AM GMT
Win or lose his legal battle I think the next step for Mcririck would be to write a book. Now he's fallen off the gravy train he could take the opportunity to share his life in racing with the great unwashed and importantly to Mac trouser a few quid.
Report Facts January 11, 2013 11:17 AM GMT
artie     10 Jan 13 16:49 
Anyone who doesn't appreciate that Tommo is a first class commentator/presenter is an idiot.

yet again - FOYSC
Report brigust1 January 11, 2013 8:43 PM GMT
As I said before this is only about BM getting alternative employment. He's spent his life making easy money standing up for the punters, which is bo ll ox, now he will spend his time saying he is standing up for pensioners.Probably on Channel 4.
Report Facts January 11, 2013 9:31 PM GMT
he's an out of touch,old,deluded slob
Report mrcombustible January 12, 2013 9:36 AM GMT
To succeed in a discrimination claim you have to show future loss. At 72 what is your future loss?
There is no such thing as exemplary damages in a case like this for which he is claiming 2.5M, if successful in his discrimination claim an award can be made for injury to feelings, most of these awards are for a few thousand pounds (Source E Lang employment lawyer Bird & Bird  Todays RP)
Looks like his no win no fee Lawyers are doing it for free publicity
Report millhouse January 12, 2013 9:37 AM GMT
McCririck also doing it for the publicity, imo...
Report Ramruma January 12, 2013 11:48 AM GMT
Big Mac's solicitor also doing it for the publicity, imo.
Report posy January 12, 2013 1:24 PM GMT
He hasn't anything to lose...no win no fee
Report artie January 12, 2013 2:04 PM GMT
Hope he wins.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com