Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jmc27
25 Nov 12 13:38
| Topic/replies: 3,650 | Blogger: jmc27's blog
About to be a an Anglo French war on RUK over Long Run
Pause Switch to Standard View Nick v Claude on RUK now
Show More
Report jmc27 November 25, 2012 2:39 PM GMT
Claude doesnt like Sam Waley Cohen
Report MikeEnfield November 25, 2012 2:41 PM GMT
Does anyone know anyone who likes Waley Cohen? Theyve had their GC out of the horse and its time for the aristocrats to shell out for another horse for the very avg Waley Chen
Report jmc27 November 25, 2012 2:41 PM GMT
Ad break forced truce lol
Report flyingbolt November 25, 2012 2:42 PM GMT
They are very rich.
So you hate them.

Pathetic.
Report .Fidway. November 25, 2012 2:42 PM GMT
nick luck will need his window wipers on full with all the slethers coming his way from the frog
Report MikeEnfield November 25, 2012 2:44 PM GMT
I dont hate anyone, its quite pathetic to see people skirt around the issue that Cohen is no good for the horse. Just cos they are rich dont mean you cant tell the truth about them.
Report Kriskin November 25, 2012 2:46 PM GMT
Well said Mike.  It's fook all about being rich.  It's about being AWFUL in the saddle
Report flyingbolt November 25, 2012 2:48 PM GMT
Rather than skirting around the issue some of us realise that Sam is always going to ride the horse so it's a total waste of time arguing a lost cause.

HTH.
Report MikeEnfield November 25, 2012 2:48 PM GMT
Shame that Luck wont say what he thinks
Report Steamship November 25, 2012 2:52 PM GMT
MikeEnfield You did not write that you don't rate him as a rider, you wrote, does anyone know anyone who likes Waley Cohen? I like him I like his spirit, he always comes across well before a big race and he would probably swap all his money and success to have his brother back.
Report councillor November 25, 2012 2:53 PM GMT
maybe they are creating the tesion to get more viewers.
Report jmc27 November 25, 2012 2:58 PM GMT
Paul Nicholls has just weighted in...

Just watching RUK. Listening to Claude Charlet confirms what I always thought that he talks ****. So unfair on Sam WC.
@PFNicholls on Twitter
Report EastLower Gooner November 25, 2012 3:00 PM GMT
paul would say that...if SWC left PN would win less races.
Report 1st time poster November 25, 2012 3:01 PM GMT
what luck and the people on here want is
they want a father who spent 1000,s on a horse for his son to ride and he won a kg,and gold cup,to jock his son to prove that they may or maynot be right about the horse improving,how much does luck think the horse will improve for a change
Report flyingbolt November 25, 2012 3:04 PM GMT
You seem to have the wrong end of the stick,ACESWEST.
Report HaylingBilly November 25, 2012 4:44 PM GMT
A mate of mine recently won a day at 7Barrows at a Charity Event and knowing I liked the races he was kind enough to invite me and my wife to join him and his wife. It was a foul day. Wet n windy and we got there for 0645 with a bit of a hangover after staying locally at a pub. There were a number of owners there as it was the first time some of the horses were to be schooled over fences/hurdles on the grass for this season. The only owner who took the time to introduce himself and spend time with us was Robert Waley-Cohen. There was no reason for him to do it at all. But he could see we were slightly awkward and not sure what was going on. He spent 3 hours with us guiding us through the routines, introducing the jockeys, the staff and the horses as they schooled and ran past us and generally made the day a far better experience. He was simply there to see Sam school Long Run so he had no reason to help us other than the fact he is a thoroughly decent bloke. After the morning schooling we went to NH's house for breakfast and Sam joined us. He also was a really decent guy. Why do I write this ? Because too often people pre judge others with no knowledge or basis. The Waley-Cohen's were excellent company and they love horses and horse racing. Part of the fun/joy for them is that Sam rides the family's horses to make it a real family hobby and experience. I respect them for taking this option and if you are only looking at Long Run as a betting option then you need to take the fact Sam is an amateur jockey in to consideration when betting on the horse. They are aware of the criticism and very open about the reason why Sam rides Long Run. They got in to horse ownership so Sam could ride the horses and we should all respect their integrity and resolve for sticking to their principles. Good luck to them and I, for one, will be whooping for joy when Sam rides LOng Run to win a second Gold Cup in March next year. My longest post ever but wanted to give you another side to the story and the BS that is spouted about the W-C family.
Report Vubiant November 25, 2012 4:49 PM GMT
Brilliant post from haylingBilly. Says it all so clearly.
Report Eddie Batt November 25, 2012 4:55 PM GMT
Excellent post from Hayling BIlly.Their horse and they are 100% entitled to decide who rides it.A lot of the criticism is way over the top.
Report HaylingBilly November 25, 2012 5:16 PM GMT
EddieB/Vubiant - appreciate the comments. Am normally a man of few words but some of the comments and negativity are way out of line and unfair. They are decent people and wanted to get that across from my one-off experience.
Report Salut-Flo November 25, 2012 5:32 PM GMT
Interesting post but the end of it is slightly puzzling to me, with regards to the reason that the Waley-Cohens got into horse ownership. If the reason was for Sam to ride the horses, then what has happened in France would make no sense. During the last 5 years, Robert Waley-Cohen was owned wholly or partly 8 horses. These 8 horses have run a total of 56 times. Sam Waley-Cohen has ridden on just 1 of these occasions, when riding Long Run in the Prix De Pepinvast. On all other occasions, the stable jockey or best other available jockey was used.

Unlike arrogant Pumpkinhead, who continues to insist on making comments on issues where he isn't involved, the Waley-Cohens are nice people and i wish them luck, but imo if they wish to get the best out of Long Run, Sam should step aside.
Report aberdonia November 25, 2012 5:43 PM GMT
whether the Waley-Cohens are nice people is neither here nor there.  What is in no doubt is that SWC is not
a top class jockey.

Just dont back the horse and lets the WCohens have their fun.

I can think of only one other so called sport where money lets you play with the pro's.

Formula 1.

At the least the dentist wont put life's in danger.
Report HaylingBilly November 25, 2012 5:46 PM GMT
Point accepted. I did not mean to suggest this was the only reason they got in to horse racing. I think they recognise that with AP or BG on his back he could do better but that is not what they are in it for. Getting the best out of Long Run with Sam on his back is their objective. I will cease now because its starting to sound like I am a friend of the family and my only connection is 3 hours in the wet n wind and shared a breakfast table. GrinGrin
Report 1st time poster November 25, 2012 5:59 PM GMT
where does the argument end twiston davis would obviously do better if he employed jocks other than his sons,pipe putting up scudamore due to the scudamore connection,hobbs sticking with dickie,is jacobs the best replacement pumpkin can find for walsh
Report maelduin November 25, 2012 6:27 PM GMT
I've spent time in the company of the Waley-Cohens and they are a lovely family who have been through some really hard times. SWC is a very capable jockey and absolute gentleman. You can see the obvious thrill that Robert gets from seeing his son ride his horses and the adoration is evident. What they have achieved together should be lauded. This whole LR jockey issue is mute anyway because SWC will never be jocked off no matter what. Of course horse racing is all about opinions and there are no shortage of them in these forums. Just wish people would focus on the horse and why he's not the GC winner of old. Hopefully he'll be back to himself soon.
Report Savetheherd November 25, 2012 6:35 PM GMT
Aberdonia, which top formula 1 team have employed someone because of their wealth? Even those who are there to bring in sponsorship (e.g. Petrov and Senna) are very fast drivers with long and successful careers from karting up to GP2.
Report aberdonia November 25, 2012 6:58 PM GMT
There was a japenese who paid for a seat in a car.

I will google it to find out
Report aberdonia November 25, 2012 6:59 PM GMT
found at least one.

One of the richest men ever to sit in a Formula One cockpit, Diniz's motor racing career progressed as a result of his father, Abílio dos Santos Diniz, owning the Brazilian distribution company Companhia Brasileira de Distribuição and the supermarket chain Pão de Açúcar.[1] After several years in junior formulae, he joined the Forti F1 team in 1995, largely funded by the Diniz family's wealth and sponsorship connections.
Report aberdonia November 25, 2012 7:02 PM GMT
Romain Grosjean paid Lotus an estimated $5 million to drive for the team this season through his sponsorship with French oil major Total. “Total is delighted to give the young talented French driver… the opportunity to fulfil his dream,” a company statement said when the Lotus deal was announced.

Meanwhile, some of the sport’s most decorated and experienced drivers have seen their careers stall because they don’t have financial backing.

“More and more seats in Formula 1 are occupied by drivers who are essentially paying to race,” said Christian Sylt, co-author of Formula Money, an annual review of the sport’s finances. “For the smaller teams, taking on a driver who brings in millions of dollars is a very attractive option right now.”
Report aberdonia November 25, 2012 7:05 PM GMT
Veteran Formula One driver Jarno Trulli has lashed out at the current trend of pay-to-drive options the teams have come to favor. Sponsorship is thin in this economy and the smaller teams need the cash resources to progress (or even remain flat) and to this mission, they’ve really sought out young drivers with sponsorship backing in the form of cash for their open race seats. The concept is nothing new in F1 as it has always been a part of the program but perhaps it is more prevalent now than it ever has been.

For Jarno Trulli, this is a bad direction to be heading in and I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that I agree with him to a point…certainly about Nick Heidfeld at Renault.

“[Robert] Kubica is a great driver who can get the very best from the car,” Trulli told La Repubblica. “Because of that they were a dark horse. When Robert was out, that was the end. Petrov was not in a position to lead the team, and Senna showed that he was not good enough.”
“With his experience, Nick scored almost as many points as Petrov even though he [Heidfeld] did only half the season,” Trulli said. “There is no rule, but it is true that those who pay are less accustomed to suffering. They are less committed.

Hiring them is a business decision but in my opinion it’s not worth it.”
Report MikeEnfield November 25, 2012 7:48 PM GMT
Any guesses about how mch they gave for Long Run please?
Report peeler November 25, 2012 8:09 PM GMT
why are people so opinionated about things they can't affect. It's wc's cash, it's his horse he choses who rides.
No one is holding a gun to anybody's head to back the horse.
You pays your money and takes your choice
Report Amanda Hugnkiss November 25, 2012 8:29 PM GMT
I can hardly understand a word the bloke says anyway........the strange way he talks.

Claude Charlet is nearly as bad too.

Cool
Report clarkey November 25, 2012 8:58 PM GMT
I think that Long Run is the best staying chaser in training and should have won 2 GC's and a King George.It's painful to watch him lose a couple of lengths at nearly every fence through,imo,poor presentation from his jockey.

However,i must add that i think the ride Sam gave Long Run to win his Gold Cup was absolutely outstanding.......yet that was run at a furious gallop and Long Run could come from behind and use his staying power up the hill when Denman and Kauto were out on their feet.Most top staying races these day attract small fields and tactics play a big part.Kauto got away with it so well because he had the tactical speed during the race to get a decent position.Long Run is a powerful stayer and to ask him to quicken,esp on dead ground,from off the lead is certainly not getting the best out of him,in my opinion.
Report Swardean November 25, 2012 9:17 PM GMT
SWC also rode a cracker in this years gold cup
Report clarkey November 25, 2012 9:29 PM GMT
I think the gold cup hides SWC's weakness somewhat because of the blistering pace,you can hold up a stayer because a lot of the early leaders are beaten at the top of the hill......you cant get away with that in small field tactical affairs.A proven stayer like Long Run MUST try to dictate the pace in small field,slowly run affairs because he doesn't have the pace of a Kauto to get out of trouble,imo.

He should have won this years gold cup,imo.
Report duncan idaho November 26, 2012 11:58 AM GMT
where does the argument end twiston davis would obviously do better if he employed jocks other than his sons,pipe putting up scudamore due to the scudamore connection,hobbs sticking with dickie,is jacobs the best replacement pumpkin can find for walsh

Ruby cant ride for Nicholls, Muullins, TWD, Pipe AND Hobbs!
Report duncan idaho November 26, 2012 12:00 PM GMT
It's painful to watch him lose a couple of lengths at nearly every fence through,imo,poor presentation from his jockey.

However,i must add that i think the ride Sam gave Long Run to win his Gold Cup was absolutely outstanding

Must have been absolutely outstanding if he managed to beat Denman and Kauto despite losing a couple of lengths at every fence  Crazy
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 26, 2012 12:15 PM GMT
Claude has every right to have an opinion. PF Nicholls has shown himself constantly to be like a spoilt child intolerant of anyone else having an opinion different to his.

IMHO Long Run would be better served by having a Pro Jock, but the Waley Cohans due to the rules have every right to leg their son up.

On another point, Long Run is over rated imho
Report Steamship November 26, 2012 12:44 PM GMT
Diamond I could do with you on the other thread as youre not the only one who thinks hes overrated
Report Ballydoyle November 26, 2012 1:41 PM GMT
HaylingBilly is spot on. The owner can do what he likes and am I right in saying that Long Run has a King George and a Gold Cup to his name already ridden by SWC? Didn't read many on here slatin him when he cruised past Walsh in the Gold Cup...
Report duffy November 26, 2012 1:51 PM GMT
For the purpose of future debate can we take it as read that the Waley-Cohens are thoroughly decent people....what that's got to do with getting the best out of long run ...i don't know!!....... as for them having long run for the lad to have some fun on, then if the horse doesn't achieve his max potential the whole thing becomes counter productive.
Report HaylingBilly November 26, 2012 5:29 PM GMT
Maybe getting the best out of Long Run is not their main objective. Maybe getting the best out of the Long Run/Sam combination is their main objective. They know they might win more races with a top jock on board but it wont mean the same to them. Same thinking that stopped Steven Gerrard moving to Chelski a few years back when he stated winning the Premiership with Chelski would mean nothing to him.
Report 1st time poster November 26, 2012 5:52 PM GMT
think people buy into the commentators perception of long runs jumping,think he jumped very well for him on saturday and lost out very little to tthe walsh ridden beillikant round of jumping from sv,swc may have looked a little untidy on the run in but in the conditions probably lost next to nothing in comparison with sv ,who for all the walsh lovers made a flat footed jump at the last to make the result look closer than it was,i,m a big long run fan but cant find ant reason why he should have won on saturday,doesnt mean he won t win the kg
Report Facts November 26, 2012 5:56 PM GMT
HaylingBilly   

Sycophant !
Report racingstar November 26, 2012 5:59 PM GMT
The horse never met a fence in its stride on Saturday.
The Owner has an absolute right to put up whoever they want.
Get over it bleaters.
Report HaylingBilly November 26, 2012 6:07 PM GMT
Facts 

Pr1ck!!........and probably a Chelski fan.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com