Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Figgis
05 Sep 21 12:45
| Topic/replies: 8,769 | Blogger: Figgis's blog
I'm not talking about today's Moulin, which this year is a Gp1 in name only. It's not much better than a Gp3, so he's a deserved fav, although he might not deserve to be quite so short if a couple of others can find their top form or improve a little.

I saw in the RP that even after his Listed win they rated him already good enough to take an average Gp1. However, on my figures I don't rate him good enough to have taken any of the last 10 Guineas, and some of those were substandard. In fact is many years he wouldn't have even made the places. In a normal season I would rate him a Gp2 winning performer at best. Obviously he hasn't really had to battle up to now, so in a better race he may be able to prove he's better than he's shown so far. For me, he's going to need to, or he's going to be found out when he runs in a properly contested Gp1.
Pause Switch to Standard View Baaeed - Genuine Gp1 horse?
Show More
Report Figgis September 5, 2021 1:47 PM BST
* In fact IN many years.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! September 5, 2021 2:57 PM BST
YES
Wink
Report Figgis September 5, 2021 3:11 PM BST
Personally I would've liked to see him win more easily in order to enhance the hype. Although looking at the RP headline, "Brilliant Baaeed", thankfully it looks like it's going to continue. Finishing a length and a quarter in front of OOA, he's actually run bang to the pound I rated him beforehand. I look forward to his next outing.
Report impossible123 September 5, 2021 3:42 PM BST
An intriguing clash with Palace Pier in The QE2 if both turn up. My money will be on the younger generation; a place for Poetic Flare (again).
Report A_T September 5, 2021 4:07 PM BST
I saw in the RP that even after his Listed win they rated him already good enough to take an average Gp1.

Seems they were right Grin

i think a lot of G1s look scarcely better than G3s - IMO most G1s only ever have a couple of G1 horses in them - the Arc and a few other races excepted.

Look at it another way - today Baaeed beat the Breeders Cup Mile winner
Report Figgis September 5, 2021 4:20 PM BST
A_T, I should've attached the full quote, "already in excess of the average figure required to win all Group 1s across Britain and Ireland since 2008". So they think he's actually better than the average Gp1 winner in Britain and Ireland.

Yes there have been many Gp1s not up to scratch. There have been many Gp1s where there was only one true Gp1 horse in the race. However, I would argue that there have been very, very few in England and Ireland over a mile where it took as little winning as today's race, and the winner couldn't even win easily going clear. Today's form, however you want to dice it up, isn't even remotely near to regular Gp1 form.

As for Palace Pier, well it's not even a contest. I'm hoping for reasonable ground Ascot. As given a decent pace PP has about 4+ lengths in hand of the 3yo on those wfa terms.
Report brain dead jockeys September 6, 2021 7:42 PM BST
sea the stars does not produce too many star milers so he is worth a lot of money.
beating order of australia by a length does not make you a superstar. i hope he runs again this season and is given a good g1 campaign next year. only then will we know. dissapointed not to hear connections mention the breeders cup mile. dont know why europes star milers tend to miss the race. dont believe in the cant run two weeks after ascot nonsense. palace pier has not run very often. racing trys very hard to get international runners to go for the breeders cup by giving good prize money. trainers need to support it.
Report A_T September 6, 2021 9:05 PM BST
Breeders Cup not a fair test for European stars IMO - tracks as tight as Chester and competing against heavily medicated home runners. If I owned superstar racehorses I wouldn't send them there.
Report sageform September 7, 2021 1:51 PM BST
I have not seen the Moulin but Baaeed could only win the race and did. I have never opposed him and won't until he is beaten.
Report impossible123 September 7, 2021 5:24 PM BST
On reflection if the going is friendly to Palace Pier eg good ground I may side with him rather than Baaeed; Poetic Flare will always play 2nd-fiddle to Palace Pier.
Report brain dead jockeys September 7, 2021 8:10 PM BST
given that the breeders cup this year is at one of the worlds worst turf tracks - DEL MAR - you might have a point AT..........
Report Figgis October 16, 2021 3:13 PM BST
Yes, fair enough, can't argue with that Grin
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com