Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gull1
07 Mar 18 08:42
| Topic/replies: 67 | Blogger: Gull1's blog
Just watched this 1960 film on Talking Pictures.
Starring Stanley Baker.
Does anyone know where the racecourse is that is featured,couldn't recognise it.
Could be somewhere like Hurst Park.
It featured a jumps meeting and it was a right hand course.
Prince Monalulu is seen and Fred Binns the bookmaker is also in it.
Pause Switch to Standard View The Criminal 1960 film.
Show More
Report blackbarn March 7, 2018 3:34 PM GMT
I thought it was Hurst Park!   Checked IMDB which does not list the film and Wiki which lists it but does not mention the racecourse.  Then found that the film had a different name in the US, which does have an IMDB entry and this does say that the racecourse location was Hurst Park.
Report Facts March 8, 2018 1:58 PM GMT
Found a website , that shows scenes from films. And it confirmed it was Hurst Park.

'........An establishing shot of the race course where the robbery is to take place. The racecourse is Hurst Park. It was situated by the Thames off Hurst Road, West Molesey in Surrey and closed in 1962. The area is now a housing estate. St Mary's church in Hampton, on the other side of the river, can be seen beyond the grandstand. Good ident from Peter Brown.....'
Report Me2 March 12, 2018 3:14 AM GMT
An astonishing number of those British films from the 1930s-1960s feature racecourses, or racing.  From a time when racing must've been number 2 sport in Britain to football.
Report vincenzos March 26, 2018 6:49 AM BST
Hi, as already stated the course featured in the film is Hurst Park. I have covered the film in detail on my website britishhorseracingmovies.uk
Report blackbarn March 26, 2018 1:42 PM BST
Great work, vincenzo!!    I have a Rainbow Jacket poster on my study wall!! - Lovely film.   I have to say the Rocking Horse Winner scared me witless at the age of about 10.
Report kenny mann September 12, 2018 9:58 PM BST
It's on again now. Talking Pictures channel.
Report kenny mann September 12, 2018 10:01 PM BST
It's on again now. Talking Pictures channel.
Report kenny mann September 12, 2018 10:48 PM BST
Report alun2005 September 13, 2018 9:34 PM BST
I watched the film as well.

I believe the race we see being run might well have been the Saturday December 19th 1959 Henry VIII Steeplechase at Hurst Park, won by Mariner’s Dance, with Prudent King second and Quick Approach third. At least that's what the racetrack announcer seems to suggest.

The numbers called however are 14, 3 and 1 which puzzles me a bit as only 7 were due to run in that race according to that morning's Times newspaper.

In those days were the horses allotted a number (for example) several days before the race, which would be your race card number even if a dozen runners dropped out???
Report alun2005 September 19, 2018 12:48 PM BST
There is also footage of the Hurst Park betting ring shot on a different day.

We see bookmakers boards offering prices on the “Bushey Park Novices Hurdle Div 1”. That race was the 1-30 at Hurst Park on Wednesday January 6th 1960, in which The Rip ran for the Queen, finishing 4th to Sea Wife, ridden by Fred Winter.
Report Charlton2005 October 7, 2018 10:02 AM BST
good sit vincenzos

this one may be suitable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Belles_of_St_Trinian%27s
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com