Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
corporal
20 Mar 17 22:55
| Topic/replies: 225 | Blogger: corporal's blog
My last bet was on Rock the World in the Grand Annual. Not a bad way to finish an affection and frankly an addiction to Horse Racing which goes back 25 years+. I guess I’ve been much more serious over the last 5 years, 95% of my betting on National Hunt racing, betting without fail every week and almost always every day. I was half treating like a business…copious spreadsheets which didn’t lie and for the last few seasons at least was showing running around a 5-6% profit. This season not as good…upto including the festival down 5%.

But the racing was taking over my life. Gambling, checking out runners, forums and following RP text or radio commentary whilst at work, analysis and bookkeeping in the evenings, losing started affecting my mood and what was a real passion has started to come a little more lifeless.

So I havedecided to try to stop. I don’t know how easy it will be. I haven’t told anyone – either friends or family but frankly they probably don’t know how much I was gambling and how time encompassing it had become and I don’t want to open that can of worms. I’m also not intending to go to any organizations for help – I’m a private person and want to try and crack this myself.

This thread may well get deleted but I thought I would post here…because I have racing history on this forum (albeit with very few contributions) I respect the opinions of those on ante post, and really because it might keep me accountable and strike a chord with others in the same situation.

I write this on Monday night and so far still no bet since Friday. I removed c. 300 horses from my trackers on Friday, cleaned all my accounts, and have unsubscribed myself from a vast number of racing blogs/posts.

On Saturday I had a cursory look at the runners and results. I’ve been part of a Scoop 6 syndicate every Saturday for months. We have been very close but no cigar. I didn’t put money in on Saturday, even if a big part of me felt I could justify that it wasn’t me placing a bet.  I followed the c Scoop 6 results on Saturday hoping that for once that the syndicate wouldn’t crack it. Fortunately (for me) they weren’t one of the two winners. One 'hurdle' overcome.

Haven’t checked any runners, or results for Sunday or Monday. Despite deleting all those horses they are still coming through to my inbox.

So…so far so good. Next big test will be Aintree and especially the Grand National. Right now I just have an empty feeling but frankly not dissimilar from the one that I get after every Cheltenham Festival.  It’s a cliche I know but taking it one day at a time.
Pause Switch to Standard View Giving it all up
Show More
Report lewisham ranger March 20, 2017 11:14 PM GMT
Honest post. I have a theory that most people who gamble, even if they are winners, are addicted. I certainly am.

I find it interesting though that you choose to give up even though you are up over the last few years. I mean given that most people on here lose, it's rather encouraging for your own sakes that you're at least prepared to realize that this consumes too much of your time with not enough reward. But maybe a depressing reality for others, who are consuming equally vast amounts of time thinking about gambling and actually losing as well.
Report FELTFAIR March 21, 2017 8:46 AM GMT
It has always been therapy for me, an escape from work and life`s trials and tribulations.When this is no longer the case I could possibly stop having a bet but not anytime soon.
Report Facts March 21, 2017 11:04 AM GMT
corporal

' ....losing started affecting my mood .....'

I think this comment is behind your thought process at the moment..

If you're serious about making money by betting on horses, you have to treat it like a business. As such, you need to be disciplined and focus on one type of race. Keeping detailed records of bets is paramount. Continually reappraise your methodology and change where there are obvious losing patterns.
Above anything else though, the most important aspect is to have a separate racing bank, and a betting strategy that has stakes commensurate with the bank. It is imperative that your single unit stake is no more than 2% of your bank. You could go as low as 1%. It's this buffer (to accommodate the long losing runs) that prevents any anxiety creeping in once winners dry up.
You need to be so detached, that it's ' counters' you're playing  with, not real money. A big enough Bank allows this detachment.Without it, emotions take over, doubts begin to emerge and confidence is lost exponentially with every subsequent loser.
It's about the long game. Years of records will show there are losing runs and winning runs, there is no pattern , and is always unpredictable. But if you have the right betting strategy of selection, bank and stake , in the long run, decent profits can be achieved.
Good luck
Report lewisham ranger March 21, 2017 1:27 PM GMT
so betting my last 2 pence isn't a good idea then? Excited
Report PJay March 21, 2017 3:14 PM GMT
Best of luck with it corporal.
Report 1st time poster March 21, 2017 6:50 PM GMT
its a bit selfish though,just a thought if all the winning punters jack it in who do the losing punters lose to, Confused
Report 1st time poster March 21, 2017 6:52 PM GMT
in theory some of the losers must become winners, Confused
Report Howellsy March 21, 2017 7:54 PM GMT
I had a very nice time of it between 2012 and 2014; the last two years have been surprisingly regressive. But every new flat season brings hope. I know the misery when a hobby becomes depressing. It has sometimes seemed to me that horse racing is my wife/mistress/business partner/best mate all at once every Saturday afternoon. I don't bet on the jumps, and in the winter life is much more relaxed, stable, perhaps even 'happier' in a way, on an even keel. So I entertain the prospect of giving up the game - why not? Firstly, I love it. No other interest is anywhere near as meaningful. Secondly, I appreciate the objectivity of it. In 2014 my bottom line told me I was pretty much of professional standard. The last two years have been dire. It's not about how anyone else sees me, or whether anyone likes the cut of my jib - if I'm good enough, I prosper, and vice versa. Not many spheres of life you can say that about. Finally, every new season is a fresh start and this season I will do better... Furthermore, exotic bets give you a chance of hitting the big one on any given Saturday. Am I addicted? Who cares, but I don't think so. I make a choice to live a certain way between April and October, and I can't see any circumstances in which it's going to change. So roll on Donny, Craven, Guineas, Chester, York, Goodwood, Epsom, Ascot. I bet therefore I am.
Report Facts March 21, 2017 8:23 PM GMT
Good for you Happy
Report IrisDeBalme March 21, 2017 9:30 PM GMT
I think if people are honest with themselves they can relate to this post... it is important to win to some degree - but probably better to enjoy the sport when things aren't going too well.  Cheltenham, Grand National, Derby etc are great events/races with some great horses.. ones that you can savour without having a bet.  Its the day in day out betting that makes it an addiction, the betting on small insignificant races... the ones where you try to find an angle to grind a profit.  There is no connection with the horse... its just back or lay... and business...

Rule is if it consumes you then yes you should stop - I think you are doing the right thing and is a very brave step indeed.

Wish you well for the future.
Report PeteTheBloke March 29, 2017 6:46 PM BST
Good man corporal - I agree with what you say - you have to be a real fecking anorak if you want to make
a profit from it. Every now and then I decide to have a complete day betting and it reminds me how unfulfilling
it can be. You need to see daylight, look at the birds, have a walk, read a book or whatever it is that
leaves you satisfied, because betting is just work.
Report Facts March 30, 2017 7:18 AM BST
Betting for me is work and a pleasure. I also have plenty of time to do all those other things you mention Happy
Report dod March 30, 2017 8:33 AM BST
Always loved studying form watching racing and having ownership in racehorses and brood mares and will never lose that interest of course its frustrating when they don't run the way you expect but when they do the enjoyment makes it worthwhile for me at any rate.
Report lewisham ranger March 30, 2017 9:37 AM BST
we really should applaud corporal for being so honest- most on here claim that gambling is all sweetness and light and say they're winning all the time.
Report unclepuncle March 30, 2017 1:15 PM BST
I enjoy finding big price winners of the major races - obviously don't win that often and have long losing runs but I still enjoy it.
I find I lose more when I bet, even to small stakes, on every race like at Cheltenham or Royal Ascot.
Report IrisDeBalme March 30, 2017 1:54 PM BST
Actually Uncle totally agree - I'm relieved when Cheltenham is over... amount of my betting purse that goes in that ... trying to go into too many races... cos i know them so well - is definately not a profit maker... the same can be said about the Grand National, I back in that like its a 8 horse race ... seems an obsession to get a winner in such a lottery type race... gambling perspective makes no sense to actually get involved in...

When these are over then I tend to get some stability... but people who loves jumps - will struggle for 3 weeks Mar/April than any other period - cos they cant resist the temptation...
Report Madhu March 30, 2017 2:03 PM BST
I mainly back ante-post, have a pony on something daily at the big meetings or on Saturday, and have probably around 20 to 30 others on what I call proper bets throughout the flat season. Patience holds the key to the latter, luck the next, and impatience causes the demise of the former.

I spend hours, sometimes days looking at race replays during the winter months to get a portfolio in each of the Classics. It is what I love. Greening out for large ones and getting a good bank together before Royal Ascot is always the aim. It has not been that exiting these past few years with little liquidity on BF and not having much luck with the crystal ball, and now with the kin RP beta site being so unhelpful to quick form analysis on a desktop I am finding it debilitating.

For what it’s worth, considering the OP’s honesty, this is my AP book for this year’s 2000 Guineas for which I put aside a monkey as a budget and there is still plenty of time to empty that and green out.

Win Only Market

Matched bets
Order by matched date
Back (Bet For)
Odds
Stake
Profit

Caravaggio 15.77 £119.87 £1,770.59
    Al Wukair 278.75 £12.00 £3,333.00
    War Decree 37.09 £20.00 £721.88
    Eminent 47.29 £16.60 £768.36
    Cracksman 138.25 £16.00 £2,196.00
    Syphax 115.97 £48.61 £5,588.49
    Utmost 176.99 £26.00 £4,575.70
    Cape Byron 93.51 £97.49 £9,018.91
    Mirage Dancer 1.00 £15.22 £0.00

£371.79
Report Facts March 30, 2017 2:14 PM BST
Iris
The temptation is certainly there at the Festival meetings.
But I just ' plough on' using the same methodology and work always toward a profit in the long run.
If your confident in your selection approach ( with lots of history to back it up) , then bad runs will get turned around.
Example ( and I know I'll be accused of after timing , but it's to illustrate the above statement.
Over the 4 days of Cheltenham I had 14 bets.. They all lost.
Since then I've backed a further 12 horses., 5 of which have won. Average sp 6/1.
As I've said many times before this is not a typical sequence, because all sequences of winners/ losers is totally random.
But, in the long run, all things being equal. It works out.
Report IrisDeBalme March 30, 2017 2:17 PM BST
yeah but if you missed Cheltenham altogether... from a betting perspective you would avoid that dip...

but yeah the problem is its the m3cca for racing... I know i shouldnt - i also know i will recover losses.. but how can I resist...

I was absolutely convinced Native River would wiN GC...  lol
Report IrisDeBalme March 30, 2017 2:19 PM BST
but in principle... thats the habit - when you know you should stop but you cant...
Report Facts March 30, 2017 2:31 PM BST
It was my worst Cheltenham in ten years Iris. Normally I can find one or two reasonably priced horses we ensure a profit.
Nowadays I bet in a very systematic approach. If the ' system' points to a bet , then a bet it will be. Wether that's at a Cheltenham or a Market Rasen. The overdoing criteria though, it has to be a Class 1 or 2  Handicap, I don't bet in anything else.
Report Facts March 30, 2017 2:32 PM BST
* to
Report Facts March 30, 2017 2:32 PM BST
* overriding
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com