Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Flashy
21 Jan 14 18:08
| Topic/replies: 24,468 | Blogger: Flashy's blog
Big drifter today...not sure why?? Will run in the champion, unexposed, has not yet come off the bridle and beat some decent yardsticks. Could be anything. 20-1 too big not to have a tickle.....
Show More
Report buddeliea February 16, 2014 10:42 AM GMT
Does Mullins think we are daft enough to believe that!!???

Id like to see any of the contenders give him 14lb.

And he did not say they are not running him.
Report buddeliea February 16, 2014 10:46 AM GMT
Watching the interview after the race again,he seemed to imply that he was a 166 horse,which gives him 5 over Our Conor and the same as MTOY.
So wheres the stone come from??
Hurricane Fly is only beating Our Conor a couple of lengths!!!
Report pedrobob February 16, 2014 11:11 AM GMT
Walsh after the race when asked if riding Hurricane, would he fear UDS : "well, you wouldn't want to be giving him 15 lengths out of the start...."

If UDS runs, with no other front runners lining up, virtually guaranteed easy 2 or 3 length lead
Report Howdi February 16, 2014 12:39 PM GMT
2/3 no problem 15 though Plain
Report John.W.Henry. February 16, 2014 1:01 PM GMT
Has anyone done any sectional time recordings of him ?? Quite bizarre that run yesterday where Ruby eased right off but the horse looked to increase his pace ? Did any one notice that ?

Need some quality split times to see if what we are seeing is actually happening
Report John.W.Henry. February 16, 2014 1:03 PM GMT
Has anyone got any idea what Mordin has made of him ?
Report jasey February 16, 2014 2:19 PM GMT
Yeh i noticed that and the size of the winning distance doubled
Report John.W.Henry. February 16, 2014 2:37 PM GMT
Will have to try and time it somehow and see if it was real. Quite strange to see that in a horse.. Must have a massive engine
Report Quvega February 16, 2014 3:13 PM GMT
Not going Cry
Report BJG February 16, 2014 3:18 PM GMT
BJG     21 Jan 14 21:22 
Been strong rumours for the last week that he wont travel this year Angry fkin better

Yup - WPM plying favourites again
Report BJG February 16, 2014 3:28 PM GMT
*playing
Report Leonardo February 16, 2014 3:39 PM GMT
gutted
Report CVByrne February 16, 2014 4:24 PM GMT
unlucky UDS backers, he is clearly a talent and it would have been fascinating to see him in it. My guess is they are not running him because they want to maximise Hurricane Flys chances of winning a 3rd Champion Hurdle. I imagine UDS will get some better treatment next season and be allowed to contest Grade 1's alongside Fly.
Report bud the frog February 16, 2014 4:33 PM GMT
Ruby must have had a big part in it, can't blame him for saying something like another year behind him and he could be a

monster.
Report Howdi February 16, 2014 7:45 PM GMT
Heres the Annie Power charge 16s to 11s
Report buddeliea February 16, 2014 9:27 PM GMT
What a joke. Yeh it's bad luck on us UDS backers,but more than that it has cost the race and the festival as a whole.thats my take on it and Mullins can go and****himself!!
Report Eeternaloptimist February 16, 2014 10:43 PM GMT
I haven't backed it but this is a real shame and Mullins will look a fool on the morning if The Fly trots out of his box lame.
Report festivalfanatic February 17, 2014 8:40 AM GMT
I haven't backed it but this is a real shame and Mullins will look a fool on the morning if The Fly trots out of his box lame.

What 'E' says. As Willie has something of a record for putting us away, I'll believe UDS isn't going to Cheltenham when he is scratched from the CH at the next declaration stage.
Report ReaseHeath February 17, 2014 10:23 AM GMT
they won't scratch him then, they'll keep him in at the five day stage in case anything happens to HF.
Report alleged22 February 17, 2014 11:09 AM GMT
and Mullins can go and****himself!!

eloquently put budd Laugh
Report EastLower Gooner February 17, 2014 12:08 PM GMT
Any prices for next years Champion? I means that's obviously the target,...ie HFs successor.
Report duffy February 17, 2014 1:27 PM GMT
He'll certainly look a fool if something does indeed happen to HF and he has to conjure some credible excuse for performing a u-turn....to that end I'm surprised that something has been announced so soon.
Report pedrobob February 17, 2014 2:57 PM GMT
apparently UDS had a hard race, so Willie thinks over 3 weeks break is too soon to turn him out again.

In which case the rest of the horse population will need 6 months off..... unless it's trained by Venetia Williams.

Willie hasn't said he's NOT running yet. But all these excuses suggest he's worried about UDS denting Hurricane's record..... or that he knows UDS is well short of this level. Which is interesting given the rest of Ireland has provided a token 6 horse opposition in his 3 starts this season for some fair prize money. Do all the other trainers know something Willie doesn't?

Respected judges like Gary O'Brien and Kevin Blake have been big fans of this horse all along, they will be mortified if he's stuck in a box chewing hay whilst Hurricane is given an easy time as possible
Report duffy February 17, 2014 3:11 PM GMT
The one thing that fly's ( no pun intended)in the face of the theory that HF is being looked after is the issue that this race looks to be the strongest for a few years and you'd think that Mullins actually wants to have the winner of the race so keeping two very strong chances out of the race makes no sense and it's a logical piece of thinking that Mullins could use to counter the conspiracy theorists with.

IF HF was going to be a 1/3 shot without the participation of AP and UDS then the conspiracy theorists would be on more stable ground.
Report Mr Mischief February 18, 2014 11:17 AM GMT
Some shocking pocket talk going on in this thread. The thread opened with the words 'Big drifter today' for Gods sake and that was nearly a month agoLaugh
Report Notsofastmyfriend February 18, 2014 8:07 PM GMT
If UDS was trained by David Pipe or Alan King would it be running? if, like me, your saying of course it would, you must also have doubts about Mullins actions.
Report buddeliea February 18, 2014 8:11 PM GMT
if any trainer had a hurdler rated 168p, it would surely to be running in the CH.
Now that Mullins has no back up to not running UDS and the owner knows he has a horse rated 2nd best for the race, I now think its a strong possibility he will run.
Report alleged22 February 18, 2014 9:01 PM GMT
rated 2nd best????? Confused
Report buddeliea February 18, 2014 9:19 PM GMT
Whats up alleged, he is now I believe
Report buddeliea February 18, 2014 9:23 PM GMT
168p so I understand
Report alleged22 February 18, 2014 11:38 PM GMT
soz mate its not a crititism of you but I fail to see how he has achieved a rating so high by beating trees, he has yet to race a decent animal yet is the 2nd best Confused, he is the unknown to me, bit like the lottery, until he proves something credible against the best, then timeform or whoever are just guessing
Report buddeliea February 19, 2014 7:35 AM GMT
its not the OR apparently, that's 159. Got mixed up....sorry mate.
Timeform have put it up, as you say its a tad guesswork.
Point is it will give the owners something to think on,and maybe stop Mullins from giving us a load of ball,as he tends to do.
Report Mr Mischief February 19, 2014 1:20 PM GMT
Guy puts up a false rating and then accuses the trainer of talking a 'load of ball'Laugh
You couldn't make it up!
Report Mr Mischief February 19, 2014 1:21 PM GMT
You really couldn'tLaugh
Report buddeliea February 19, 2014 1:59 PM GMT
I did say sorry !!
Report shockster February 19, 2014 3:23 PM GMT
We all know it should be running in the CH, even WPM knows that.  However, it compromises HF and WPM is protecting him.  Really is that straight forward.  If HF wins he will be a 3 time champ and this thread will be forgotten in history.

Completely wrong to me and many others, but until something credible comes from WPM that is my view of this matter.
Report deepingfox February 19, 2014 8:51 PM GMT
If I were the owner I think I might like to know if I needed to book flight, accommodation etc for Cheltenham in 3 weeks time - not waiting for the news that Hurricane Fly is okay so we aren't going.

THIS IS A SPORT - and THIS DECISION IS NOT SPORT.

The owner is being let down for another owner.

I think the best solution is for the owner to move the horse to Paul Nicholls (who would run it) and get it over to England a couple of weeks early to acclimatise.

The we ALL get the SPORT WE DESERVE.
Report Eeternaloptimist February 19, 2014 10:57 PM GMT
Surely following Mullins logic UDS won't run no matter what happens. Even if The Fly's leg drops off UDS is so exhausted by his exertions on Sunday that he needs time to recover. Wink
Report geoff m February 20, 2014 9:53 AM GMT
I think the best solution is for the owner to move the horse to Paul Nicholls (who would run it) and get it over to England a couple of weeks early to acclimatise.

Acclimatise?? Its been p!ssing it down for 6 months in Somerset itll think its still in Ireland
Report Flashy March 4, 2014 9:16 PM GMT
I notice some money for it today....still a chance it may run?
Report geoff m March 5, 2014 12:17 PM GMT
matched @ 170 i think  just prior to suspension so looking unlikely to be even declared.
Report geoff m March 5, 2014 12:39 PM GMT
still in there
Report pedrobob March 5, 2014 12:45 PM GMT
Is Willie being straight about this horse? Tells everyone he is knackered after his last stroll.... but wastes his owners money to keep him in the Champion presumably in case Hurricane Fly and Annie Power pick up injuries in the next 3 days?

So is Willie saying he is willing to run a knackered horse who has not been prepared for the race if his stablemates don't show?

Or is his secretary just a stupid person who is entering horses of their own accord?
Report boy wonder 07 March 5, 2014 12:58 PM GMT
I just hope he runs
Report mactheknife March 5, 2014 3:44 PM GMT
Willie Mullins stable have been having it off on the ante-post prices for long enough now whilst the general public have been told they dont know what the targets are.
Fair enough they are the people working with the horses so deserve best takes, but can we not now have some clarification of each horses intended destination next week?
Report pedrobob March 5, 2014 4:03 PM GMT
Both Willie and Ruby lost a lot of credibility with me over the PR on this horse.
Clearly UDS is fit and well, all the "had a hard race" nonsense utter bollo*cks
Report buddeliea March 5, 2014 6:13 PM GMT
While the claims of dual winner Hurricane Fly are clear, Un De Sceaux would be facing a steep jump in class after winning a couple of moderate events before landing the Red Mills Trial Hurdle at Gowran last month.

The six-year-old is unbeaten in five runs for Mullins after transferring to his care last February.

The Closutton handler, who has also left in Thousand Stars, told www.wpmullins.com: "I have only given him one entry next week and that is in the Champion Hurdle.

"That would be a huge step up in class from his other races and we have to weigh up whether now is the time to go for the Champion. I don't have any other thoughts regarding his plans after that, ie Aintree or Punchestown.

"We will decide on the Champion first then take it from there. Whether he goes or not he is clearly a very exciting prospect for us."

Could he still make it???
Report geoff m March 5, 2014 6:59 PM GMT
Mullins still believes dual Champion Hurdle winner Hurricane Fly is still the one to beat but did not completely rule out Un De Sceaux from taking his chances in race.
Not without hope.
Would be a fascinating contender and make it a cracking race not sure the inclusion of Captain Cee Bee would have guaranteed a true pace but UDS would certainly light up the blue touch paper.
Report pedrobob March 5, 2014 7:18 PM GMT
after all this, if Willie runs UDS, he will have well and truly pi*ssed off JP McManus..... who has just shelled out £20k for a pacemaker.

Doubt he will send any more horses to him if UDS runs. Surely Frank Berry rang Willie and was told UDS only runs if Fly doesn't. So no chance of UDS running.
Report BJG March 5, 2014 7:33 PM GMT
Patrick pretty much said he was nt runnin on RP questions tonight

Left in incase anythin happened fly i presume
Report buddeliea March 5, 2014 7:49 PM GMT
yep,as much as we want him to run,i don't think he will if HF does.
Report pedrobob March 5, 2014 8:01 PM GMT
..... but coming back to the owners of UDS. Their horse is clearly healthy and fit to run, not tired at all after his last win.

Willie is actually prepared to run if Hurricane doesn't make it for some reason.

Don't care who the trainer is, would find it difficult to keep the horse with Mullins having seem this horse treated as a second or third class citizen. What if UDS has an injury next season like Sprinter Sacre, Simonsig et al? They will have missed their chance of glory.....
Report elisjohn March 8, 2014 4:01 PM GMT
backed to under 20s on here today, then out to 200 plus nowConfused
Report pedrobob March 11, 2014 6:49 PM GMT
Willie Mullins - "fookin 'ell..... should have run UDS and Annie Power......"
Report duffy March 11, 2014 10:18 PM GMT
^
fook that, he should have run vautourShocked
Report geoff m March 12, 2014 5:51 AM GMT
Monumental Mullins error .Wrong horses running in wrong races.
Quite clearly Champagne Fever would have won that
Report buddeliea March 12, 2014 6:31 AM GMT
Well, that got what they deserved...............sweet FA!!
Report duffy March 12, 2014 4:28 PM GMT
if vautour stays hurdling, UDS won't be running in it next year either.
Report sintonian March 12, 2014 4:40 PM GMT
UDS won't be winning a CH full stop.
Report buddeliea March 12, 2014 6:35 PM GMT
No way of knowing that, but it is more likely of course.
Report duffy March 12, 2014 6:52 PM GMT
I reckon this years mullins merry go round may end up looking nothing at all compared to what we could be in store for next season...vautour, faugheen annie power all chasing, briar hill too I assume...where's he going to run all them.
Report sintonian March 12, 2014 7:34 PM GMT
sadly duffy the chances are one or two will pick up an injury of somekind. There is also Pont Alexander coming back.
Report duffy March 12, 2014 7:45 PM GMT
I forgot about him, what an embarrasement of riches mullins has got, they need a satellite yard in england set up and that will spell doom for the rest.
Report buddeliea March 12, 2014 8:38 PM GMT
Ch Fever, Ballycasey ,Djakadam, Felix Yonger, Mozoltov will all be chasing next season as well.

Still hes got 3 of them in the same race tomorrow, so at least we know he WILL run his chasers against each other.
Report sintonian March 12, 2014 9:05 PM GMT
oh, and Un Atout!

Valseur Lido chasing as well?

Just mental.
Report duffy March 12, 2014 11:16 PM GMT
amazing to think that as yet he's still not won a gold cup or arkle, if that doesn't change within the next few years then that question against his training of the chasers will have pretty much conclusive proof.
Report sintonian March 13, 2014 6:43 AM GMT
Agree. It's the blue riband events he should be judged on, imo. His record is nowhere near PFN's or NJH's.
Report buddeliea March 13, 2014 6:54 AM GMT
Most of his hurdlers stay pretty sound year after year,his chasers don't seem to though.
Maybe a tad trickier keeping chasers sound but still seems to be to me that his training of hurdlers is a lot more successful.
Report buddeliea March 16, 2014 9:07 AM GMT
Punchestown against Jezki??

Hope so!!
Report duffy March 16, 2014 3:58 PM GMT
Believe it when I see it! can't see them wanting to hand a stick to the collective to beat them with should UDS pi55 up.

The benefit of the potential win would be greatly outweighed by the embarrassement of the realization of what might have been and the ensuing ridicule.
Report harry callaghan March 17, 2014 11:14 AM GMT
i realise the disappointment for some but purely on breeding would he of been just as effective on the good ground the other day?? not so sure myself and actually think mullins made the right decision and in the long term, it may pay off...

just a view from a neutral, although i do get the annoyance from a pocket point of view shown by some, that he wasn't allowed to strut his stuff

we will see if willie will be vindicated in the long term imo
Report buddeliea March 17, 2014 4:50 PM GMT
Ah right, so if one wanted UDS in the Churdle it was just cos of a bet on him.

Nowt to do with wanting an exciting front runner in the race then??

Okey doke.
Report buddeliea March 17, 2014 4:51 PM GMT
Anyway lets hope the horse gets a chance to show us exactly what he can do.....some time in the near future.
Report sintonian March 17, 2014 5:09 PM GMT
when it comes to you, yeah budde. Always pocket talking! e.g Felix Yonger! Cool
Report buddeliea March 17, 2014 5:24 PM GMT
Form during the season backed me up.
Report buddeliea March 17, 2014 5:59 PM GMT
Oh, and by the way Sint.....Feck off!!!

Laugh
Report Eeternaloptimist March 17, 2014 8:00 PM GMT
Similar profile but with more experience than More Of That.
Report shockster March 24, 2014 3:50 PM GMT
Still trying to save face !!!!!!!!!!

Un De Sceaux will run in France this weekend "all being well" according to Willie Mullins.

The exciting six-year-old, unbeaten in all his seven races under Rules to date, was denied the chance to run in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham as Mullins felt it would be asking too much of him at this stage in his career.

Given Mullins' strength in depth in the hurdling department, with Hurricane Fly and Annie Power on the team, it is no surprise Mullins has looked for a different option for his rising star.

"Un De Sceaux goes to France this weekend, all being well," said Mullins.

"It's a Grade Three race over two-mile-three. I haven't looked at the ground, but I'd imagine there will be plenty of give.

"He's going to France, I haven't thought about Punchestown for him yet."
Report duffy March 24, 2014 4:40 PM GMT
Right then, we can see how this one is going to play out....something along the lines of.....runs in france, comes back and mullin's announces that the horse has again been hard on himself(he's already set that one up from mentioning it before remember) so we're going to call it a day with him for the season, thereby avoiding any embarrasement at punchestownGrin
Report sintonian March 25, 2014 11:35 AM GMT
Going to France so they don't have to face HF at Punchestown?
Report Eeternaloptimist March 26, 2014 12:20 AM GMT
He must have recovered really well from being knackered after his last run. Ideal then to send him over 3 furlongs further. He'll really need a rest then.
Report sintonian March 29, 2014 2:53 PM GMT
Impressive.
Report duffy March 30, 2014 12:27 PM BST
One thing to come out of that performance I think is that before we were all of the opinion that the horse bombing off and keeping up that relentless gallop and getting everything into trouble in a CH was the way to go well....not a bit of it, he can't keep it up the whole way can he, they'll have to conserve his energy during a race a bit more because the gung ho attitude almost had him coming unstuck yesterday, there wasn't a whole lot left late on and he was paddling right at the death for me, riding him the way we are used to seeing in a future CH with that hill to climb will see certain failure to my eyes.
Report cyclops March 30, 2014 1:08 PM BST
Excellent effort yesterday, but suggested to me that they took the right decision swerving the Champion. Receiving 8 lbs from Gemix yesterday and seemed to show that there may not be much left when he comes off the bridle, as he certainly would in a Champion. Musn't be forgotten either that he's only run on soft, normally very soft, ground. Fascinating to see where he pitches up next but, for my money, Mullins has made excellent calls with this horse.
Report sintonian March 30, 2014 1:41 PM BST
He was far from paddling Duffy. Distance was 2m 3f too.
Report duffy March 30, 2014 1:58 PM BST
Each to their own of course but IMO along with AP, relative to the extremely lofty positions with which they have been held in through the winter, I think both their stocks have fallen just a little after their last runs because we have now seen a chink in each of their armoury.
Report sintonian March 30, 2014 2:27 PM BST
Of the two i'd much rather own Annie Power, no doubt about that.
Report shockster March 31, 2014 9:09 AM BST
If the race on Saturday had bee only 2m, I doubt they'd have seen which way he'd have gone. 2m 3f might be pushing it, but he still looks a top prospect over 2m.  I've a funny feeling this race will have taken a lot out of him and we won't see him at Punchestown.
Report boy wonder 07 March 31, 2014 9:49 AM BST
I agree he would have bolted up over 2m and yes he did just get home but 3 furlongs is a long way if you do happen to be an out and out 2miler hope he summers well and cant wait for him to take on the best 2 milers next season
Report buddeliea March 31, 2014 7:00 PM BST
Me too,just hope his trainer gives him the chance!!
He aint so far,and now sends him to France for a  Grade 3 over 3 fulongs further than the CH distance.
Daft decision imo,which nearly backfired,and almost as daft as some on here judging him on that race!!

Time to judge him is when/if we finally find him running against the top 2 milers,thats fair imo if we are to think him a potential Champion Hurdler.
Report sintonian March 31, 2014 9:49 PM BST
I was more impressed with him in that race in France than anything he's done in Ireland so far. At least the race in France tested him a bit. The other races were walkovers imo.
Report pedrobob March 31, 2014 10:31 PM BST
agree with Sintonian - the one thing that the run in France proved beyond doubt was that UDS should have run at Cheltenham.

Put it this way, unlikely he would have done any worse than the Hurricane. Just shows how blind sentimentality can even obscure the objective judgement of as a great a trainer as Willie Mullins
Report buddeliea April 1, 2014 5:03 PM BST
yep,quiet agree pedro, and yes Sint at least he was tested.
Still not sure why he went to France for a Grade 3 over that distance though.
Report sintonian April 1, 2014 6:05 PM BST
I'm guessing it is because there are not many, if any, races left for him this season unless they ran at Punchestown which would mean facing HF. Who knows, though.
Report geoff m April 5, 2014 6:09 PM BST
Mullins talks of him possibly going chasing next year in todays post.WTF he messing at not giving the hoss a shot @ the champion.
Also mentions possible return to Auteuil.
Report EastLower Gooner April 6, 2014 1:45 AM BST
Saw the fences quote....grim news that....grim.
Report pedrobob April 6, 2014 12:20 PM BST
according to Raceform, Un De Sceaux's winning time (10-06, 4m 32.3 secs) was the second fastest of 112 races (inc 89 Graded) recorded on their database since 2000.

Other winners at the distance include:

2004 - Kauto Star (10-04, 4m 35 secs)
2013 - Diakali (10-08, 4m 38.4 secs)
2013 - Blood Cotil (10-01, 4m 41.6 secs)
2007 - Kasbah Bliss (10-02, 4m 42 secs)
2008 - Hurricane Fly (9-13, 4m 47 secs)
2007 - Big Buck's (10-01, 4m 52 secs)
2013 - Ptit Zig (10-08, 4m 55.9 secs)

All ground described as Very Soft bar Ptit Zig (heavy)
Report cyclops April 7, 2014 4:53 PM BST
.....which must make Gemix some monster, giving him 8 pounds.
Report John.W.Henry. April 7, 2014 11:10 PM BST
Fantastic racehorse who has a really pleasing running style which relys on no other horse setting it up for him.fingers crossed he stays sound and gives us many seasons of pleasure as this type of horse does not come along very often.
Report pedrobob April 26, 2014 10:48 AM BST
back at Auteuil today over even further. Think Willie a great trainer, but his handling of this season has mystified me.

Showed last time can jump really well (for Geraghty) at speed compared to be not so fluent in in some of the muddling early gallops has gone in Ireland

Surely just wants to be let loose over 2m over hurdles? Feels like Willie has no confidence in the horse and shame not taking on Jezki and Hurricance next week
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com