Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
essexguy
21 Apr 13 12:38
| Topic/replies: 28,182 | Blogger: essexguy's blog
This is A. Fabre 's best colt, could this be the derby winner?
I have taken a gamble on this, taking 66-1 with victor just after his second run.
what views do you have on this horse?
Pause Switch to Standard View Ocovango, 2013 Derby ?
Show More
Report essexguy April 21, 2013 1:39 PM BST
any of our french friends out there with any info?
Report mr_sykes April 21, 2013 3:04 PM BST
dont know great deal about the horse but Monsuns tend to prefer ease in the ground making good on June 1st possibly less in his favour although anything trained by Fabre with a Derby entry has to be half decent...
Report Beryl April 21, 2013 3:07 PM BST
Essexguy, is it your opinion that Ocovango is Fabre's best colt or have your read/heard Fabre saying he is his best colt? Fabre seems to have a number of very decent 3 year old colts this year and if he said Ocovango was his best it would be quite significant.

By the way, I like Ocovango a lot, I got BF to add him to the Derby betting a couple of months back.
Report Beryl April 21, 2013 3:12 PM BST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GivEm6F04E

Doesn't need cut in the ground in my opinion - what do you reckon?

Was a very smooth victory
Report essexguy April 21, 2013 3:27 PM BST
beryl, havnt heard Fabre say first hand that Ocovango is his best colt but it has been reported by other comentators.said to be the apple of his eye.
Report Beryl April 21, 2013 3:40 PM BST
That is good to hear, Triple Threat and Intello have bot been impressive this season.

Ocovango next out on 4th May
Report mr_sykes April 21, 2013 3:41 PM BST
would have to be impressed by that,first time I've seen him but he does look good...
Report kincsem April 22, 2013 6:06 PM BST
Ocovango must be a mis-spelling of Okavango (Delta).
Perhaps they are taking lesson from Coolmore. Devil
Report Tascro April 23, 2013 3:43 AM BST
is the derby the plan for ocovango?
Report liverpaul April 24, 2013 1:50 PM BST
It is a tried and tested route, as trainer Andre Fabre sent out Pour Moi to land the Group Two contest over a mile and a quarter before going on to win the premier Classic at Epsom two years ago.

Ocovango, owned by Prince Faisal, won his sole start as a juvenile and reappeared with victory in a Listed race last month, both at Saint-Cloud, to earn a top-priced quote of 20/1 with Sky Bet for the Derby on June 1.

"He's a promising colt who won his two races nicely and before we make a decision about the Derby he is going to run in the Prix Greffulhe on May 4," said Fabre.

"After that I will make a decision with the owner."
Report Beryl May 4, 2013 8:10 AM BST
Big day for Ocovango. Faces 4 rivals in the Prix Greffulhe at Saint Cloud at 5.55pm our time. ATR supposed to be showing it, let's hope they show it live.

Ivan Grozny
Wire to Wire
Bravodino
Superplex

are his rivals. Has to win this and put in a decent performance to book his ticket to Epsom.
A small but very decent field, Bravodino is supposed to be highly thought of and well entered up including at Epsom and also the Irish Derby.
Report essexguy May 4, 2013 8:49 AM BST
yes, today will tell us a lot, re the derby.
Report sintonian May 4, 2013 9:43 AM BST
2/5 he is for today's race, are the opposition that strong? If so, 2/5 looks silly.
Report Beryl May 4, 2013 11:09 AM BST
Even money with 5kybet, 10/11 with Laddies and Billies
Report BJG May 4, 2013 11:10 AM BST
He aint 2/5 - he is evens

Thats about right, Bravadino is a very worthy opponent! Hopin Ocovango wins and books his Epsom ticket today
Report sintonian May 4, 2013 5:06 PM BST
Ah soz, read on twitter he was 2/5!
Report BJG May 4, 2013 6:07 PM BST
Coolthe dream is still alive
Report lets get home May 4, 2013 6:16 PM BST
I Had 50/1 25/1 & a little bit of 20s .. just hope it runs now ... Let Dawn Approach !!! But Ocovango will just kick on !
Report BJG May 5, 2013 9:56 AM BST
"Andre hasn't ruled out Epsom at this stage but its not as definite as if he'd won by further.  Pierre Charles said he had something left but as to another 2 furlongs, that's what we have to discuss."

Angry
Report BJG May 5, 2013 1:48 PM BST
Connections of Ocovango are keen to let the dust settle on his impressive victory in the Prix Greffulhe before deciding whether to aim him towards the Investec Derby at Epsom next month.

The Andre Fabre-trained son of Monsun extended his unbeaten record to three with a fine all-the-way win in a Derby trial won by the French trainer's 2011 Epsom hero Pour Moi at Saint-Cloud on Saturday.

The three-year-old is a best priced 14-1 with Paddy Power for the premier Classic on June 1, but is not yet certain to make the trip across the Channel.

Ted Voute, advisor to Ocovango's owner Prince Faisal, said: "We were delighted with his performance, he's still unbeaten and we're all very excited.

"He had to make his own running and it was a hard race, but he won very easily and with plenty in hand.

"The Prince was there, which is what it's all about, and we're now just waiting for the maestro Mr Fabre to decide what we're going to do next.

"We said we'd wait a few days and watch the other Derby trials and see what happens in those before we throw our hat into the ring.

"He's entered at Epsom and in the French Derby and we're completely neutral at the moment.

"He's won in very heavy ground and I thought it was good ground on Saturday and he seemed to handle it well, which is encouraging."
Report Ramruma May 5, 2013 2:28 PM BST
Thinly-veiled "does Andre Fabre think Dawn Approach stays a mile and a half" thread imo.
Report harchibald May 5, 2013 7:41 PM BST
Personally if he wins at Epsom I'm 17grand better off. Very much hope he goes to Epsom. Dawn Approach is a real machine but I just can't see him staying against this fella who looks a grinder and a half to me. Never really tested in what amounted to an exercise gallop on Saturday.

Fingers crossed they BOTH show up. Should be some race. Personally think the field lacking in depth this year I really do with the likelihood of APOB's Kingsbarns not being about for it.
Report sintonian May 6, 2013 11:25 AM BST
How good, or not, do you think Telescope is Harchibald?
Report Beryl May 6, 2013 3:21 PM BST
Not sure Ocovango is going to turn up. Andre Fabre in the Racing Post seemed a little disappointed with his performance on Saturday evening - I think he thought he would win in a more impressive manner. Ted Voute's initial comments were pretty similar.

Fabre did say it was 50/50 but I have to say I am not optimistic he will turn up.
Report JOCI Club May 6, 2013 4:11 PM BST
French Derby maybe the likeliest option?
Report sintonian May 6, 2013 4:17 PM BST
I've not seen the run but you can still get 16/1 which is what he was before he ran.
Report San Quentin May 6, 2013 6:02 PM BST
Very much doubt it will run in the derby.Not a race that would suit  but could easily place in an arc.BC bound i would think.
Report turnip turns May 6, 2013 7:29 PM BST
http://www.porunpeloturf.es/?cat=26

Tongue Out
Report harchibald May 6, 2013 10:53 PM BST
Sint I'm not sure re Telescope, I think the syndicate members and the PR guy is responsible for such a short price, this said he could come out and trounce them in the Dante.

Ocovango had a hard enough race from the front and after using up all that energy setting the pace very simply outstayed the runner up.

Intrigued to see if they run him but it doesn't look any better than, as they say, 50/50 for Epsom.

Pricewise has come out and picked RULER OF THE WORLD tonight. I've a lot of time for Duke of Marmalade's and really loved the fella himself. tough ask to win a derby with just 2 runs under the belt though but surely will win at Chester ?
Report The Headmaster May 7, 2013 12:00 PM BST
Winning a good chunk on Ocovango but not at all convinced he'd beat Bravodino over an extra two furlongs at Epsom, even if they both showed up.  Sounds like Bravodino's more likely to come over anyway so at 100+ he is the bet right now imo.
Report Ramruma May 7, 2013 12:30 PM BST
The respective jockeys' whip use and body language in the Greffuhle (@turnip turns posted the link to the video) suggests Ocovango always had Bravodino covered. Alan Cooper for the Niarchos family has been just as non-committal as Ted Voute about travelling over. Bravodino appeared twice to lack pace, and I'd expect a serious Derby prospect to be able to win at 10f.
Report The Headmaster May 7, 2013 2:14 PM BST
That isn't my reading of it, Ramruma.  Team Ocovango are worried about the extra two furlongs at Epsom.  The Bravodinos are relishing it. 

By Dynaformer and a half brother to a Derby winner in Kris Kin, I find it very unlikely that they'll point him toward Chantilly.  Have watched the race a few times now and can't see Ocovoango holding off Bravodino forever...another two furlongs and he's gone past imo.

Hope they both run anyway....along with one or two other Frenchies.  Fabre's is not a one horse barn this year.
Report BJG May 7, 2013 2:19 PM BST
Thought Ocovango was holding him all the way personally and was goin away again at the line, but would like to see em both turn up at Epsom myself too!
Report sintonian May 7, 2013 4:40 PM BST
Does anyone have the quotes from connections of Bravodino? Is there a chance he has not had his ideal ground yet? Looks possible on breeding. Ocovango is bred for the wet stuff being by Monsun.
Report elisjohn May 11, 2013 8:12 AM BST
serious money trying to back ocovango in the derby place market,
Report bobbyjo May 11, 2013 10:35 AM BST
Bravodino seems friendless - anyone seen any updates ?
Report sintonian May 11, 2013 11:07 AM BST
That money has been there a while Elisjhn. In the 1k Guineas someone put up more than that for Winning Express to place, she went very close in 4th.
Report elisjohn May 11, 2013 11:44 AM BST
surely a good omen that hell run then
Report sintonian May 11, 2013 4:15 PM BST
Yeah I thought the same. Thought the stake is just over £300, whereas someone wanted nearly £1k on Winning Express. Who knows, might be the same person!
Report sintonian May 11, 2013 4:15 PM BST
* though the stake
Report BJG May 13, 2013 3:40 PM BST
PA Stables ‏@PA_Stables 1m
Andre Fabre confirms unbeaten colt Ocovango on course for Derby @EpsomRacecourse on June 1. Fabre: "All being well he will run at Epsom."
Report BJG May 13, 2013 3:42 PM BST
"All being well he will run at Epsom.

"He doesn't need to lead. I just didn't want it to turn into a normal French race where they went no gallop. By making the running we could make it a decent pace.

"By doing that he had no excuses. He'll probably be ridden handily but he certainly doesn't need to lead."
Report Spirit May 13, 2013 4:41 PM BST
Now that is good news, thanks BJG, where did I put those ante post slips !!
Report harchibald May 13, 2013 7:45 PM BST
Wow, an antepost punt for me that looks like it will get a run. £17 grand if he wins.
Report Howellsy May 13, 2013 9:35 PM BST
Impressive stuff harchi. I thought I'd been shrewd enough with a tenner at 100-1 in February!
Report harchibald May 14, 2013 8:41 PM BST
Howellsy this is how it's worked -

2 stakes, £100 win @ 20/1

the other

£90.91 (limited with Lads)

Duke of Clarence 11/2 (won @7/2)
Dawn Approach Evs (won @7/4)
Ocovango @ 12/1 ???????????

Interesting
Report Howellsy May 14, 2013 9:50 PM BST
Yes that's a very exciting treble harchi. What price would tempt you to start laying? I've checked my bet and it's actually £14 at 79 - amazing how the memory plays tricks.
Report harchibald May 14, 2013 11:07 PM BST
I don't think I will lay it off at all. Going to be away for the Derby (do not ask sore point in this house) and will hear the news when I land - talk about dramatic outcome.
Report San Quentin May 15, 2013 8:25 AM BST
Dont lay anything off has to have a great chance.Top class horse
Report Ballydoyle May 15, 2013 3:55 PM BST
I would definitely lay off given the prices you are already on and the fact the horse's form is all on soft
Report sintonian May 15, 2013 7:26 PM BST
Definitely lay off if it is Good to Firm, yeah. Monsun's love a bit of cut in the ground.
Report San Quentin May 15, 2013 7:29 PM BST
what would you chaps lay off then.I just cant see the point.
Report sintonian May 15, 2013 7:35 PM BST
If he stands to win £17k then i'd lay to get my stake back at 10/1 or less. Still going to collect hefty if he wins. But i'd only lay if it was GF
Report San Quentin May 15, 2013 7:57 PM BST
why lay to get 300 back would you really sint?
Report sintonian May 15, 2013 8:12 PM BST
£100 back, that's his stake. Foresake £1k if the going is Good to Firm. If he still wins the man will be winning £16k.
Report harchibald May 15, 2013 8:27 PM BST
thanks for the opinions guys, I don't think laying is an option worth bothering with particularly as I won't have any access near the off.

Fingers crossed, looking forward to breakfast event next week. Still think there may be some value in his price against the favourite. Hopeful but can't say confident ... oh well..
Report San Quentin May 15, 2013 8:28 PM BST
sorry 190.91 looks like his stake if it was me whats 200 nicker but each to his own.
Report harchibald May 15, 2013 9:55 PM BST
exactly my stake is just shy of 200 quid and I wont miss it back ... treble's on !
Report keynes May 15, 2013 10:08 PM BST
ococango has a dosage index of 2.5. The average for derby winners is around 1, with dawn approach---the questionable stayer---has a dosage index of 1.69
Report San Quentin May 15, 2013 10:13 PM BST
good luck harchibald.
Report kincsem May 16, 2013 12:56 AM BST
Let it run. Feel the pain. No regrets.
Good luck.
Report FatoteSport May 16, 2013 10:14 AM BST
If I were in this position I'd put in some lays at the day of race stage, maybe £500 @ 2.5 and £2500@ 1.2. (although sounds like you may have no betfair access at that point Harchi?)

I failed to do this with Orfevre last season, which proved painful.
Report liberator of the oppressed May 20, 2013 8:10 PM BST
I'm on at 20's. Then again I'm off with Kingsbarns (£50 at 20/1) and Mars (80 at 14/1) and OCO might place to get me dosh back.
Report liberator of the oppressed May 24, 2013 6:09 AM BST
Moved like a good un round the bend having brekkie with the stars. Should be in the first three and Mr F seemed bullish didn't he.
Report Akak May 25, 2013 6:21 PM BST
Agree Fabre seemed very bullish, says the horse has all the attributes, and is a serious derby horse. Form looks strong, bearing in mind he has 3rd favourite for the Arc in his stable as well.Love
Report Try My Best May 29, 2013 10:54 PM BST
Will the jockey get lost around Epsom though.Don't know much about him.
Report Akak May 30, 2013 7:50 AM BST
Katherine Fidler says Ocovango will win. Listen to her breeding analysis at Racingpost. Sensible girl is Katherine. LoveLoveLove
Report Graeme83 May 30, 2013 1:35 PM BST
He will have to be better than you hope if he's to win it from stall 1....all depends how they break.
Report liberator of the oppressed June 1, 2013 4:12 PM BST
oooh la la Kieron might have got that home though.
Report sintonian June 1, 2013 5:27 PM BST
definitely unlucky not to place.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com