Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
IrisDeBalme
22 Jan 13 21:19
| Topic/replies: 1,974 | Blogger: IrisDeBalme's blog
Running after 2 years off the track, has not run off 11st since he was a 5 year old... Interesting he is only 8/1 considering I would have expected him to be a bigger price against Bobs Worth... but the weight definately caught my eye... if he retains his old ability its definately worth the shout.  He was a very good Gold Cup winner... beating Denman and Kauto and for a 12 year old only 19 races under rules so definately not highly tried and has a good first time out record.

Not saying he will definately win but worth a dabble against Bobs Worth at 8s you can have interest (and still cover your stake with Bobs Worth)...

Anyone else think he has got a chance?
Pause Switch to Standard View ARGENTO CHASE - IMPERIAL COMMANDER -...
Show More
Report Mr Eboue January 22, 2013 11:00 PM GMT
I'm sorry but i simply cannot find any reason to back a horse that hasn't run in God knows how many years.... One with so many problems.

Great horse but I really think he should be 5/1 to even complete the race.
Report BJG January 22, 2013 11:12 PM GMT
Agree with Mr E, would need at least double the price to look at him

Hope he shows some sparkle and runs a corker but 8/1 is a shockin price to me Cool
Report MANUELPADILLAJNR January 23, 2013 9:24 AM GMT
Here are some reasons why you could back him after a lay off,He has won first time out five of the last six years and in the other was second in the befair chase when beaten a nose by Kauto Star, he was also sidlined in 07 for a year with injury and came back to win first time out, he was a superb winner of his gold cup and gets weight off everything, the trainer has had the gold cup as a target all season and wouldnt keep a good horse like this running for the hell of it and you wont see a better horse fresh than this one.
Report duffy January 23, 2013 3:02 PM GMT
One very big reason not to back him would be that after such a long lay off and with time running out for him with realistically this season being his last chance if any to win the GC again he is most definitely not going to be given anything remotely like a hard race, so unless he is winning it on the bridle I think it will be viewed very much as a stepping stone toward march.
Report rogerthebutler January 23, 2013 3:12 PM GMT
I don't think he will be given an uneccesarily hard race, but equally well, he has to show something here to make his Gold Cup participation a reality

Think if he put's in a clunker he'll be retire personnally so it's sh1t or bust time this weekend.
Report jasey January 23, 2013 9:35 PM GMT
Should be 8/1 to place,to long off after pulling up in gold cup nearly 2 years ago
Report Marwood January 24, 2013 12:38 PM GMT
love him, 2010 GC was one of my all-time top punting days, but he is a shocking price, given his age and absence, whatever his record fresh may be. I just hope they nurse him round and he gets to show enough to get him to Cheltenham in March.
Report BJG January 24, 2013 12:56 PM GMT
8/1 massive now Shocked

Bobs Worth not entered and Tidal Bay unlikely to run Shocked
Report BJG January 24, 2013 12:58 PM GMT
Paul Nicholls reports that Tidal Bay has returned slightly lame from work this  morning, and is odds-against to run at the weekend...

Tidal Bay should be considered doubtful for Saturday's Argento Chase.

After working this morning, he came back slightly lame.

Myself and Clifford have looked him over and the problem is hard to diagnose. It could be either an infection brewing in his off hind foot, and or he has pulled a small muscle, but we don't know at the moment.

We will obviously monitor him in the next 24 hours, and then make a decision on his participation in the morning.

It isn't a serious problem - and he may well yet run on Saturday  - but I thought it was best to keep everyone informed.

At this stage, though, I think it is odds-against him running at Cheltenham at the weekend.
Report BJG January 24, 2013 1:01 PM GMT
N Henderson on Bobs Worth: "There was something not quite right with him . . . We were scoping him and there was a little something there"
Report BJG January 24, 2013 1:10 PM GMT
Bobs Worth, ante-post favourite for the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup, will not run in the Argento Chase at Cheltenham this weekend.
The Nicky Henderson-trained eight-year-old was found to be not quite 100% following a routine check-up earlier in the week. He will now contest the Gold Cup on March 15 without a prep run.
Henderson told Press Association Sport: "Bobs Worth is not going to be able to run on Saturday, which is very disappointing for everybody, including the owners. We very much wanted to run, but the good thing is it doesn't affect March in any way."
The trainer went on: "We were just doing a routine check on Monday, which all the horses have before they run. There was something not quite right with him and it's just going the wrong way, rather than the right way. We were scoping him and there was a little something there.
"It's not wise to run at the weekend if he's not going to perform to his best. It wasn't crucial that he ran, but it was always the plan."
The Seven Barrows handler is unfazed by the prospect of sending Bobs Worth to the Gold Cup without the benefit of another run. His magnificent victory in the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury in December was his first start since he was victorious in the RSA Chase at the Festival last March.
Henderson said: "I always felt the Denman Chase (Newbury, February 9) was too close to Cheltenham for him - he's that sort of horse. Circumstances have now forced to us to go without it (a Gold Cup prep run). He's a very straightforward horse, but it's disappointing more than anything else."

He knew on Monday Crazy good old Hendo

Even did an interview durin d week sayin how much he wanted the meetin on and said nothin Laugh
Report bluebirdfan January 24, 2013 1:14 PM GMT
Anyone with fancy each way prices on Grand Crus will be happy
Report GoldCupWinner January 24, 2013 1:19 PM GMT
Pretty pointless backing him ante post now then!
Report Brooksielad January 24, 2013 2:15 PM GMT
I've backed Grand Cru at 9s on here, looking good, Grand Cru at 50/1 GC is an excellent trade out imo.
Report duffy January 24, 2013 2:52 PM GMT
Is grands crus a deffo runner ?
Report IrisDeBalme January 24, 2013 5:22 PM GMT
Im a bit gutted as Id thought to back Imperial once declarations were out... as I assumed BW was certain to turn up... oh well thats betting for you!
Report red and white January 24, 2013 7:03 PM GMT
Those 8s and 9s look non too shabby now. Grands Crus is there for the taking.
Report harchibald January 24, 2013 10:16 PM GMT
GRANDS CRUS #NAP Mega Nap of Naps from Planet NAP.

Monkey at 8's now looks phenomenal. I will trade out at 6/4 or less on the day.

Thank you and goodnight.

#KEEPTHEFAITH
Report red and white January 25, 2013 9:33 AM GMT
Non stayer at the trip on this course in my opinion.
Report MANUELPADILLAJNR January 25, 2013 10:44 AM GMT
Lets hope we get 8 runners at least and if any mad prices are around for Hey Big Spender then I might be going in on him ew, still in the gold cup and stable said forget first two runs the horse is now coming back to his best, may have it to do at the weights but could sneak a place behind the commander tomorrow, thats if he runs of course, he was 66-1 and I have seen many poorer bets than that
Report Desmond Orchard January 25, 2013 5:13 PM GMT
Lol Harchi, trading out? That's confidence for you.
#keepthefaithindeed
Report jasey January 25, 2013 5:51 PM GMT
To many question marks over most of these horses.Wayward Prince is the value.
Could frank Contis and QDLRs form
Report red and white January 25, 2013 6:46 PM GMT
IC forever underestimated.
Report duffy January 26, 2013 1:35 AM GMT
race has the look of a shock winner about it

IC, whopping lay off and won't be given hard race
GC, breathing op, bad ground, very hard race last time.
TB, set back, get behind, not one to back short is he?
HB, fairy tale over
WA unreliable

I agree that WP looks a big price simply on the notion that I think that he might be the one who fancies a right old slog best of all.
Report Mr Eboue January 26, 2013 4:48 PM GMT
I was completely wrong. The old warrior ran his heart out.
Report Navel-Gazer January 26, 2013 5:29 PM GMT
Mr.E - he did just that and I was roaring him on!

You got it completely wrong and Manuel NEARLY got it completely right! Wink
I know he went to the track so he wouldn't have laid the 1.01 I/R on Imperial Commander, and sadly I missed that boat too Sad
Report jasey January 26, 2013 5:29 PM GMT
Yes brllliant run.Is he being aimed for grand national
Report red and white January 26, 2013 6:49 PM GMT
I'd skip the Gold Cup and go to Aintree fresh.
Report liam the lips January 26, 2013 8:49 PM GMT
Gallant as always, i hope IC is ok, he definately faltered before the line and stopped nearly instantly after it Plain

I think virtually all the crowd were in shock after he'd held them all at bay for so long - he did recieve a fantastic reception for finishing 2nd !!

From a punting angle, i wouldn't want to back him again - hopefully i wont have to Love
Report abbott January 27, 2013 3:09 PM GMT
He's in great shape this morning bar loosing a shoe. He will have an entry in the Grand National but at the moment all focus is on the Gold Cup
Report MANUELPADILLAJNR January 27, 2013 6:54 PM GMT
I have touted THE COMMANDER for a long time for the gold cup and he was fantastic as expected yersterday, however it may be folly to think he will improve, his record as i explained to the world when fresh is better than any other horse i have seen over the jumps and a lot of credit needs to go to the winner who gave him 6lb and a beating and must be taken seriously for the gold cup if it goes, as for the commander im sitting on free bets at good odds, all i need now is quito de la roque to do well in the irish race soon, that ground yesterday was very very tiring and it was not nice seeing rajdhani express gasping for breath and hardly able to walk the last 50 yards in an earlier race so lets hope the commander recovers well enough as if he is fit and the gap is long enough he is more than good enough at 12yo to give any of this lot a race
Report abbott January 27, 2013 9:13 PM GMT
Hes been trained different this year and was only 80-85% fit, he will improve and has a tremendous chance. Ken Pitterson even said on Will Hill radio that he looked no where near ready in the paddock, he was shocked how well he ran considering.
Report liam the lips January 27, 2013 9:50 PM GMT
KPs thinkin is of zero consequence to me, IC looked ready to go from my pre parade analysis - National or retirement is my viewpoint, pref the latter Love
Report abbott January 27, 2013 9:54 PM GMT
OK disregard that I'm tell you as a fact he was only 80-85% ready and badly in need of the run.
Report duncan idaho January 28, 2013 9:06 AM GMT
horse will go backwards from that grueller, particularly so if wasnt fully fit on Sat....hope OP got out at 1.01
Report The Sweaty Sock January 30, 2013 12:49 AM GMT
R&W you surprise me. He hates Aintree surely?
Report The Sweaty Sock January 30, 2013 12:51 AM GMT
As for the Gold Cup, it's hardly a vintage year and if a Welsh National winner can win it last year well.....
Report The Sawyer January 30, 2013 9:15 AM GMT
Sweaty

It wasn't that long ago that the trends experts would have been using the Welsh National as the "form" race for the Gold Cup. The race has thrown up a number of winners and near misses.

Synch (as you mentioned)
Master Oats
Cool Ground (perhaps not a vintage renewal)
Burrough Hill Lad
Playschool (my friend swears he was got at in the GC!!!!)
Righthand Man (2nd to Forgive n Forget)
And of course Carvills Hill who was played like a "violin"

I think Monbeg Dude may struggle to get around or even finish in the same parish if it runs
Report duncan idaho January 30, 2013 12:55 PM GMT
The Sweaty Sock
30 Jan 13 00:49

R&W you surprise me. He hates Aintree surely?

why does IC hate Aintree? he's run there twice, fin 3rd when 25/1 over hurdles (running to similar rating as when 7th at Chelt time before) and was almost certainly still knackered from winning Gold Cup less than 3 weeks earlier when never going in the Bowl (he'd have been thumped whichever track the race had been at that day)
Report red and white January 30, 2013 7:16 PM GMT
Hi SS, I don't think he hates Aintree. I do think it comes too soon for him after exertions at Cheltenham. I didn't expect him to run well the last time it was tried and he didn't. I do think he hates Kempton but sadly he hasn't had many opportunities to prove me wrong due to injury and poor administration that time the race was reopened. So, I reckon Cheltenham or Aintree but not both. I'd rather see him over the National fences as I think he could carry the weight and take to the fences. I think the handicapper will give him a fair mark as he's dropped him a couple to 162 after Saturday's race. He rolled back the years the other day and put in a great performance but hand on heart it was a long way from his debut performance the season he won the Gold Cup when he just got up from Kauto at levels (regardless of what the judge said). Anyway, all power to him if he runs in the Gold Cup.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com