Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
thegibbons
07 May 10 05:50
| Topic/replies: 256 | Blogger: thegibbons's blog
Devilfirst of all I would like to point out that my previous brilliant thread on this horse has been lost in the revamp of this site.
So,I am not going to the same lenghts again to explain the chances of this horse,except to state he will run in the best classic trial in europe on sunday,that is the derringstown at leopardstown.
I have backed him at 40 and 33/1 for the derby.
I dont know anybody at the yard and all is based on previous rideing arrangements and breeding.
Show More
Report Graeme83 May 9, 2010 9:59 PM BST
Prima - can you explain what you mean for those of us who aren't clued up with regards to Stud tactics. I'd imagine Montjeu is the horse they are talking up, then i got lost ???
Report A_T May 9, 2010 10:05 PM BST
FWIW Aidan said today Cape Blanco had a setback
Report bestmate May 9, 2010 10:06 PM BST
a very minor knock i believe that won't stop him coming to york
Report A_T May 9, 2010 10:07 PM BST
No but it's a good excuse when it gets beaten.
Report Graeme83 May 9, 2010 10:12 PM BST
Half of his good horses have had setbacks and we're only in May. This is going to be a long season.
Report Prima Donna May 9, 2010 10:15 PM BST
Graeme83, Montjeu is the horse they DON'T need to talk up! Galileo is the quiet one, he had no real top 2yo last season and has been slow this year. Giving him 50% of the runners in a well regarded trial is a good way to increase his chances of getting press coverage if he has the winner. Galileo is a very expensive sire, but he is quiet on the future champions front. Montjeu on the other hand is the most expensive sire in Europe this year. It all comes down to marketing their products, their products being stallions, the huge revenue generated by these horses is what makes prize-money a secondary issue when they are making running decisions. Until it comes to the end of the season and who gets to be Champion sire. ( On that front it might pay to remember that Galileo has already been Ch, Montjeu hasn't-but look at who leads the list ATM)
Report push May 9, 2010 10:19 PM BST
Midas Touch, looks like being the best bred horse in the Derby field, has the speed to win over 1m2f and the pedigree to say he should stay 1m4f .
Report Graeme83 May 9, 2010 10:27 PM BST
Cheers for your reply Prima D. Why would they need to talk up Galileo if he's already been champion sire ? you say he's more of a ledger type, but the time he clocked today was slightly better than High Chaparral, who i make comparison with because he was the last good horse to get the same ground(gd/frm). He went on to win a derby, albeit it on gd/sft. Do you think MT will go to Epsom ?
Report Prima Donna May 9, 2010 10:35 PM BST
Why would they need to talk up Galileo if he's already been champion sire ?

Because you can't keep charging top whack stud fee if the horse is not coming up with top level horse year in year out. the bloodstock world is harsh and it has a short memory, these level of stallions need to do it every year to keep breeders reinvesting.

As for the St Leger, he just strikes me as that type. Immediately after the race I took that view. He was kept way out the back and then had a long run through and was keeping on at the end
Report Graeme83 May 9, 2010 10:39 PM BST
Fair enough mate, you've probably forgotten more than i know. My newly thought of theory is that they wanted him to come late behind a pace maker because that's how they will run the derby, like last year when one was way out in front, and the so called better horses came in with a late surge.
Report Graeme83 May 9, 2010 10:40 PM BST
Just to add something. Murtagh chose this horse ahead of Jan Vermeer in france as you'll recall.
Report Prima Donna May 9, 2010 10:51 PM BST
Perhaps last year they wanted a Gr 1 winning 2yo for Galileo and thought that a mile on very soft ground may play to this horses strengths???? Shame he was thwarted by a son of Montjeu!

I would be fairly confident Midas Touch will go to Epsom, there is no way they would just aim him soley at the St Leger, they wouldn't miss a chance of another Galileo Derby winner, esp one with that pedigree and considering where New Approach is, but IMO Doncaster looks like his best chance of a classic in England. Curragh Derby another possible though. Jan Vermeer going to France could pave the way nicely
Report Graeme83 May 9, 2010 11:01 PM BST
Could be a similar situation to last season mate. Murtagh choses the horse they all want to win(RipVanWinkle, this time SNA), yet Herfernan comes second on Fame & Glory ahead of RVW, who also won the Derinstown and then went Epsom and irish derby. All this second guessing them is doing my nut in. I'm going to go in at 16s.
Report Swinia May 9, 2010 11:03 PM BST
SOF what planet are you on? of all the horses in the field today the winner was least impressive physcially...he's very small but clearly a fast agile sort... i thought it was an excellent run fto and really flew home in the straight... i'm on Chabal at the moment but this fellow will be in the mix imo
Report Sacred Kingdom May 10, 2010 1:52 AM BST
Swinia, get used to it. Every horse they run is a potential Classic winner in his eyes.
Report Fallen Angel May 10, 2010 9:00 PM BST
Thought this horse ran a very pleasing trial yesterday. Quickened up nicely and looks like it will have the stamina. Am on at 33s also. Was thinking of getting a bit further involved if the 20s is still available although I think its gone. Bullet train impressed me on saturday, I am not sure what to make of SNA so these two could be lively alternatives. Aiden said Midas is def going to the derby (barring injury) so thats something not to worry about.
Report thegibbons May 10, 2010 9:29 PM BST
PlainSeems there are only 14s left with :SB T BF PP L WH.
Think I`ll wait and watch a bit.
Report Kevbetting superstar May 10, 2010 10:10 PM BST
MT = St leger??  Where does that come from.  He's just won a 10F event in the fastest timein 20 years despite it being a 4 runner race.

Can someone tell me what the story is about Jan Vermeer?  Has one of his legs fallen off or is he injured or is he off to Froggie Derby?
Report duncan idaho May 12, 2010 8:39 AM BST
''Each year many seem to think Ballydoyle have half a dozen horses capable of winning the Derby - but they haven't done it since 2002.''

2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th to Champion, the Wonder Horse last year.
Some times they do have quite a few with a chance.
Report Fallen Angel May 15, 2010 10:25 AM BST
16s available on this horse again now after the performance of Cape Blanco. Presume Aiden O'brien will go with three SNA, Cape Blanco (assuming no injury worries) and Midas touch. Bookies prices on Jan Vermeer terrible considering the price on here and the likelyhood he is not running. Havent seen a replay of the Dante yet so just an observation on prices rather than anything concrete about the various strength of the form.
Report WorkOnIt May 15, 2010 6:20 PM BST
The forgotten horse and certainly the value pick imo.
Report Fallen Angel May 17, 2010 6:33 PM BST
Real move on this today, has been slashed by alot of the bookies. Also Cape Blanco on a bit of a drift. SNA still very solid. Been matched at 10s on here and has been cut by all the big firms. Thought it might be the pricewise AP horse
Report thegibbons May 17, 2010 6:36 PM BST
[:(]Now, on the eve of The Grim Reapers dirty work,as pricespoiler sharpens his scythe.I wonder is this the last chance for a midas touch.
Report duncan idaho May 17, 2010 7:05 PM BST
''MT = St leger??  Where does that come from.  He's just won a 10F event in the fastest timein 20 years despite it being a 4 runner race''

it was a fast time cos his stablemate went hell for leather in front and made it a stamina test at trip....the fact that he stayed on past horses that had gone quicker than him doesnt mean he's fast.
Report sofiakenny May 17, 2010 7:08 PM BST
lay him then
Report duncan idaho May 17, 2010 7:35 PM BST
Christ, never thought of that...how does this Betfair thingy work again?
Report Graeme83 May 17, 2010 8:00 PM BST
Bookies pretending there's money for MT and using the racing post to advertise their lies. Exactly how did all the punters steam in to this one the same day, which is incidentally after SNA got 'punters support' which saw him clipped down to 2s and 7/4.

Remember the 'massive gamble' for Workforce for the 2000 guineas, a few days before he was declared a NR ?

Wake up folks. The bookies are anticipating money so they make up this gamble nonsense as an excuse to get it down before there's real money.
Report Fallen Angel May 24, 2010 10:03 AM BST
Seems to be a fair amount of uncertainty as to which horse is going where. My first thoughts were that Aiden O'brien would take a max of three to the derby so one will miss out. Cape Blanco seems to have drifted the most although all three seem to be possibles for the french race.

If he only takes two ante-post market could go into Meltdown. Hopefully Midas Touch will make it in.
Report thegibbons May 24, 2010 9:03 PM BST
[:(]Pheeeew hopefully
Report bestmate May 24, 2010 11:30 PM BST
relax gibbons your horse will be there.
Jan Vermeer will have the first run on him & whether it allows anyone to get past is another matter
My prediction:
1.JAN VERMMER
2.MIDAS TOUCH
3.AZMEEL
Report Bullwinkle May 25, 2010 12:54 PM BST
Must admit the drift on MT is worrying me a little. I have always thought the 1 1/2m derby trip would be right up his street. If you watch his previous races, always doing his best work at the finish. Think JV form in Gallinule needs to be treated with caution
Report A_T May 25, 2010 1:08 PM BST
Beat by 2 lengths a horse not even in the Derby. Well beaten when previously tested at G1 level. No chance at Epsom.
Report duncan idaho May 25, 2010 3:03 PM BST
Ballydoyle 4th string imo
Report Bullwinkle May 25, 2010 3:54 PM BST
4th string seems a bit harsh - particularly when you consider of the four he is the most unlikeliest to be redirected to French Derby - surely one of CB or JV will be redirected - also I don't mind JM rejecting him - I'll be happy if Seamie Heffernan or Pat Smullen rides him on the big day
Report platinni May 25, 2010 6:54 PM BST
yes the derrinstown winner is always the 4th string Laugh

KF will be up

Cool
Report Far From Trouble May 25, 2010 7:00 PM BST
plat what chew like in the oaks? Confused
Report WorkOnIt May 25, 2010 7:03 PM BST
Never underestimate the APOB trained Derrinstown winner innit....

WorkOnIt 12 May 10 01:05   

Narrowing down his placed horses with each horses trial race result in brackets...

1st: Galileo (Won Derrinstown), High Chaparral (Won Derrinstown)
2nd: Hawk Wing (2nd 2000 Guineas), The Great Gatsby (Won Derrinstown), Eagle Mountain (5th 2000 Guineas), Fame and Glory (Won Derrinstown)
3rd: Dylan Thomas (Won Derrinstown), Masterofthehorse (2nd Chester Vase)
Report platinni May 25, 2010 7:16 PM BST
fillys can go fck themselves FFT [>o]

a perfect analogy of their human equivalents imo
Report Far From Trouble May 25, 2010 7:17 PM BST
Laugh

Really keen on Timepiece tbh, can feel a 5 pointer coming on Shocked
Report bestmate May 25, 2010 9:11 PM BST
Plat I see that u still keeping faith in MT. KF would be niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Report duncan idaho May 25, 2010 9:40 PM BST
Yes but this donkey ran in the Derrinstown by default....Mikhail Glinka first choice for that race, and he's not even one of the 3 ahead of him in pecking order Laugh
Report J0KER May 25, 2010 9:42 PM BST
The gamble on Midas tuther day was started by the trainers brother... did a fantastic oiece of work I believe.

J Murtagh will ride the Morning Glory but there are many good judges within the yard that think Midas Touch is the bombproof Epsom horse.

Good luck to those who have some fancy prices.
Report mythical prince May 25, 2010 9:50 PM BST
youve got the midas touch, everything u touch turns 2 gold...Love
Report mr_sykes May 25, 2010 10:31 PM BST
Joker,where does the Abbey stand in the scheme of things?bombproof is a fair statement about MT
Report Fallen Angel May 26, 2010 8:04 AM BST
Out to 17 now on here. Heavy support for Jan V suggests he might well be going. A number of people have now stepped in happy to lay SNA. Doesnt suprise me as he appears to have some genuine contenders to fight off now. Derby looks a decent race again.
Report HENRY THE ATEF May 26, 2010 8:50 AM BST
If Aiden had any worries about SNA he would have run him in the Derrinstown,do you think for one minute SNA would be the price he is with all the others around him winning if he werent better the stable would be laying him all day buying money
Report HENRY THE ATEF May 26, 2010 8:52 AM BST
"understand".........."LISTEN"..."UNDERSTAND"
Report Fallen Angel May 31, 2010 12:58 PM BST
Entries remain unchanged at this stage. Would be suprised if Aiden Obrien went with 4 although has been known to go mob handed before. Looks like Midas will be going to Epsom barring any injury.
Report jair1970 May 31, 2010 8:17 PM BST
Fallon on perhaps?

Yes, please
Report Graeme83 May 31, 2010 8:59 PM BST
I'd be over the moon if Fallon was on. I wouldn't even be suprised if JM was on him.
Report bestmate May 31, 2010 9:06 PM BST
A little over 100 hours before we collect fellasGrin
Report Fallen Angel May 31, 2010 9:10 PM BST
Yeah would be happy with Fallon, we will see. Cannot wait. Amazing the SNA is same price as Midas touch now. Surprised workforce is shorter than Midas touch also.
Report bestmate May 31, 2010 9:14 PM BST
In SNA's abscence, WF will be 2nd Fav. around 9/2-5/1. Bookies haven't forgotten Kris Kin
Report push May 31, 2010 9:16 PM BST
Kris Kin had better form than Workforce thats for sure, and was a bigger price until the day of the race.
Report bestmate May 31, 2010 9:19 PM BST
true Push but stoute/Moore/Abdullah & WF has got to shorten further
Report push May 31, 2010 9:23 PM BST
Sure he will, especially if SNA does not turn up.
Report jair1970 June 1, 2010 10:39 PM BST
Fallon's gone to the other side  Shocked

What chance Murtagh? for trading purposes of course Laugh
Report Figgis June 2, 2010 10:50 AM BST
Midas Touch not in Ladbrokes list, unless it's an error.
Report turnip turns June 2, 2010 10:55 AM BST
Error imo Figgis,Morning btw [;)]
Report Figgis June 2, 2010 10:56 AM BST
Hope I didn't worry you there TT [;)]
Report Yank June 2, 2010 10:57 AM BST
Jan Vermeer doesnt appear [sic] in the RP pop up either.
Report da fallon factor June 2, 2010 10:58 AM BST
midas touch disappeared ans still only 7s on cape blancp,has mike dillon been on the phone to derrick smith
Report turnip turns June 2, 2010 10:58 AM BST
Laugh no,always go by the markets on here [:p]
Report turnip turns June 2, 2010 11:05 AM BST
Cape Blanco just halved in price [smiley:crazy]
Report platinni June 2, 2010 1:10 PM BST
COD over sheamie on MT??

not sure what to make of that
Report turnip turns June 2, 2010 1:13 PM BST
Not even sure Seamie is no2 anymore tbh [smiley:crazy]
Report EastLower Gooner June 2, 2010 1:41 PM BST
how about the flip side...

O'Donoghue jumping off Jan Veermer to ride Midas Touch Devil
Report turnip turns June 2, 2010 1:49 PM BST
Laugh
Report Fallen Angel June 3, 2010 11:02 AM BST
At least we are definately getting a run on Midas touch barring injury. Feel a little sorry for those on Cape Blanco, ran a perfectly respectable trial for the derby and off to France. I look forward to saturday with interest.
Report thegibbons June 4, 2010 10:34 PM BST
LoveHi Chaps n Ladies,Just got back from epsom,Head burnt off me with the sun.
Will take this oppertunity to wish everbody who is on this colt good luck tomorrow.
see you when the catch the horse.
Report moscowflyer'scousins June 4, 2010 11:10 PM BST
good luck tomorrow: my idea of the winner providing there isntnt more rain though the market doesnt think so , nor sees as big a chance as i do the the cecil one.
Report bestmate June 4, 2010 11:46 PM BST
good luck all
Report PHS June 5, 2010 12:19 AM BST
thegibbons
Are you aware of what Fallon said about MT today during interview on BBC2 ?
Report the lay preacher June 5, 2010 11:26 AM BST
good luck gibbons think johnny has picked wrong again .
you could be doing with a real strong run race to see midas at his best imo.
Report platinni June 5, 2010 11:27 AM BST
fallon was very bullish about him

best of luck lads
Report bestmate June 5, 2010 1:24 PM BST
they may try Fame & Glory tactics with him.
Report duncan idaho June 5, 2010 4:05 PM BST
confirmed....plodder. Derrinstown egg and spoon race.
Report EastLower Gooner June 5, 2010 5:20 PM BST
major blowout :(
Report moscowflyer'scousins June 5, 2010 10:21 PM BST
dont know what to make of that at all. I think time will prove him better than that but that wont help him win today!
Report ben10 June 5, 2010 10:28 PM BST
Derrinstown was probably an over rated race, think of the manner F&G won a year ago against a similar level of horse with a penalty. Remember time isn't god with a pacemaker, could apply to the Derby as well but we'll see...
Report bestmate June 5, 2010 10:56 PM BST
Group 3 beast at best with little scope. Atleast the dream lasted more than a month!
Report thegibbons June 6, 2010 12:07 AM BST
SadCheers everbody, just not good enoughCry
Report Prima Donna June 6, 2010 9:25 AM BST
Prima Donna     09 May 10 22:35 

As for the St Leger, he just strikes me as that type. Immediately after the race I took that view. He was kept way out the back and then had a long run through and was keeping on at the end

After yesterday will still hold this view,a plod with no real turn of foot.
Report platinni June 6, 2010 9:27 AM BST
wasnt impressed with him physically yesterday
Report the lay preacher June 6, 2010 1:26 PM BST
st leger winner imo perfect for the race.
Report EastLower Gooner June 6, 2010 1:45 PM BST
probably on his way out of ballydoyle as we speak....
Report duncan idaho June 6, 2010 2:46 PM BST
''st leger winner imo perfect for the race. ''

provided Rewilding a non-runner!
Report kirk st. moritz June 6, 2010 2:51 PM BST
Camel didnt even look good in his Derby trial win.
Report bestmate June 22, 2010 9:46 PM BST
time to get the money back  on sundayConfused
Report Tavaris Jackson June 22, 2010 10:07 PM BST
Wow just looked at the market for the first time.
7/1 with PP really does look like a bet if he's certain to run.

Reminds me of Soldier of Fortune.
Report thegibbons June 26, 2010 10:01 PM BST
Will give this horse one more chance and carraiglawn ew.
Report Horsesforcourses June 27, 2010 8:50 AM BST
8/1 with Joe (at least was last night). Decent bet for me. All this talk over whether Johnny rides MT/JV has distracted from this one's chances and pleased to see Colm on board.
Report platinni June 27, 2010 9:29 AM BST
but to be not considered by the stable jock is a concern no?

ill be still backin him Sad
Report bestmate June 27, 2010 9:33 AM BST
ok then . given it another chance
not confident so going e/w
gl
Report Yank June 27, 2010 10:07 AM BST
Mikane -- whose RP column is excellent, they shd fire that no show Willo and give 'Chief Correspondent' job to Mick, he oculd 'revolutionize racing journalism' -- makes salient point: if Murtagh decided against Vermeer because of feet, his other horse was Blanco. Dont know the inner politics of Ballydoyle, but would not be automatic that Murtagh would jock off Colm.
Anyway, Midas clearly didnt handle Epsom and deserves a second chance on more suitable track.
Report platinni June 27, 2010 10:28 AM BST
^ he jocked him off jan vermeer pretty readily
Report Prima Donna June 27, 2010 10:36 AM BST
You could take the view J.Murtagh hasn't got a clue.
Report Graeme83 June 27, 2010 10:37 AM BST
Or you could take the view that he doesn't automatically get first choice. Nobody can get it that wrong so many times.
Report Yank June 27, 2010 3:11 PM BST
Even if he did jock him off Jan vermeer, that does not mean he had the choice here. If you had a horse that might not get the trip, but you thought was class -- would you want J Murtagh on him? That might be the thinking.
Report bestmate June 27, 2010 8:34 PM BST
all the MT backers were right after all. Great ride  by CD  & a good horse
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com