Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Cream Of The Crop
09 Apr 10 09:50
| Topic/replies: 407 | Blogger: Cream Of The Crop's blog
I thought these meetings deserved a thread of their own, considering there are some very interesting maiden races and handicaps contested on the cards, not to mention that 10f conditions race at Newbury on the Friday (I am hoping to see Bullet Train in that). Obviously the trials are also of major interest too.

One who jumped out at me in the 7f Alex Scott Maiden at HQ on the opening day was Brian Meehan's Harvest Dancer. His dam's side is all about speed (dam a Windsor Castle winner, granddam runner up in the Queen Mary) and he shaped well on his debut in a 7f maiden at Newbury last August, moving well into the lead and looking the likely winner until fading in the final stages, finishing fourth behind the sadly departed Najd. I think a winter on his back should enable him to see this trip out and his 2000 Guineas is an indication of how highly Meehan rates him (reportedly worked with Arcano and the like last year). Think he is one of the more interesting runners in the race, though the William Haggas newcomers Safwaan and Zakiy are both said to be decent, and both are well bred sorts who would be of obvious interest, as would Squall from the Jeremy Noseda yard, a costly purchase at the sales.

The 10f maiden later on the card doesn't look particularly strong this year, though I'll be interested to see Lunar Victory after two eyecatching performances last season at Newbury, including in the Haynes, Hanson & Clark Conditions Stakes. He travelled supremely well throughout both races but was unable to see it out, though the slow ground played it's part when fourth behind Dancing David on his second outing (form worked out very well). His dam was a 10f winner for Gosden in her brief career, so shouldn't have too many problems with the trip; clearly wants a decent surface. Amanda Perrett's Huff And Puff, Gosden's Mujdeya (she must surely go to Newbury on Friday for the 10f fillies' maiden instead?) and Noseda's beautifully bred and very highly regarded newcomer Point North (500,000gns yearling, out of a Lingfield Oaks Trial winning half sister to Pilsudski) are the others of interest for me at the moment.

Will be interested to see if any of Abrasive (Haggas), All Action (Cecil), Bated Breath (Charlton), Naasef (J Dunlop), Nerves Of Steel (Cole) or Warm Memories (Stoute) gets entries for the Wood Ditton on Thursday.
Pause Switch to Standard View Craven/Newbury trial meetings
Show More
Report Richie-O April 9, 2010 3:04 PM BST
Nice write up Cream. Naasef is in the Wood Ditton. I'm off to Newmarket next week, can't wait...
Report Cream Of The Crop April 9, 2010 3:21 PM BST
I am very much looking forward to seeing Naasef in action next week - very highly rated and beautifully bred.
Report sageform April 9, 2010 3:24 PM BST
It would be nice to see a J Dunlop horse run a ace before then.
Report Cream Of The Crop April 9, 2010 3:30 PM BST
True.
Report Stake & Chips April 10, 2010 5:57 PM BST
Any Workforce supporters concerned about him not being entered for the Craven?
Report push April 10, 2010 6:07 PM BST
Rather he went straight to the Guineas , that seems to be the best way these days, just hope he turns up for the race
Report Stake & Chips April 10, 2010 6:11 PM BST
Maybe he goes for the Greenham? With his relative lack of experience, I think the trial route would be better option.
Report Stormbird April 10, 2010 8:45 PM BST
Greenham would be a bad move, if you follow trends.
Report Stake & Chips April 10, 2010 9:04 PM BST
...as long as it isn't the DANTE :|
Report bok April 10, 2010 11:50 PM BST
It will be interesting to see Prizefighting and Rebel Soldier run as their seasonal debuts should be very enlightening.

Also the 2yo races at the Craven and Newbury normally throw up a fair early season sort
Report Cream Of The Crop April 11, 2010 7:03 AM BST
Very happy to see Bullet Train entered in that Newbury conditions race on Friday, and I hope he can win and set himself up for the Dante and then, hopefully, the Derby!

The Bridget Fillies' Maiden on the same day sees Attraction's Montjeu half sister Titivation debut from the Michael Bell yard, as well as a full sister to Peeress called Entitled from the Stoute yard and Henry Cecil's Fashion Flow, a highly regarded filly owned by Lordship Stud. That is always a difficult race to solve, but an interesting one at the same time.

As an aside, I see Nibani makes his reappearance run at Windsor tomorrow. I thought this was one of the big eyecatchers last autumn when a running on fourth in a 1m HQ maiden, needing pushing along and running green all the way until getting the hang of things close home, faring best of the newcomers. It looks a decent race, with Bombadero, Protaras and Regal Park all nice sorts who should do better over middle distances at three, but I'd be surprised if any of them were as good as Nibani in both the short and long term. I see Stoute has put him the Dante, so clearly Derby trial bound if winning tomorrow.
Report Punterbaker April 11, 2010 8:14 AM BST
Hi Cream,
One to keep on the right side of at Newmarket is the Elsworth colt Fair Trade. His first run was very encouraging don't you agree? The Card at Newmarket for both Wednesday and Thursday looks very interesting.
Report Cream Of The Crop April 11, 2010 8:41 AM BST
It was an undeniably eyecatching debut, and he perhaps deserves extra credit because Elsworth doesn't have his 2yos fully wound up for their debut outings. However, I am not too sure the step back to 7f (his only entry next week is in the maiden at this trip) is such a wise move considering the way he shaped on that occasion, while his siblings have been seen to their best over 10f+. That said, his dam was primarily a sprinter, while his sire was most effective over 7f, but I think they are using this to see whether he'd have the speed for a 2000 Guineas, for which he holds an entry.
Report Nighthawk April 11, 2010 9:40 AM BST
Fair Trade is an interesting runner Wednesday,
David Elsworth has him in the 2000, The Dante and Derby,
was ahead of Nibani at Newmarket last year.
Report Cream Of The Crop April 11, 2010 10:09 AM BST
Indeed he was. The three to take from that Newmarket maiden that day were Fair Trade, Nibani and also Paul Cole's Pekan Three, the latter backed down from 40/1 into 16s at the off!!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com