Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
town moor
10 Apr 10 17:36
| Topic/replies: 486 | Blogger: town moor's blog
How many lengths per second do we allow when handicapping?
Pause Switch to Standard View How many lengths per second?
Show More
Report breadnbutter April 10, 2010 6:45 PM BST
distance ? GOING ?
Report pmt April 10, 2010 7:00 PM BST
It varies between (i think) 6 lengths to a second for a sprint to 4 lengths per second for a 4mile marathon. Then they convert the lengths to pounds on a scale of 2.5 lbs for a sprint to 1lb per length for 2 miles.
Report town moor April 10, 2010 7:02 PM BST
Thanks, the race I'm thinking of was 26f on officially good ground but a very quick time. I'll have a look.
Report pmt April 10, 2010 7:05 PM BST
The official handicapper would use 1lb per length but personally I prefer 1.25 lengths per pound for stamina tests like that especially if they have got strung out off a fast pace.
Report town moor April 10, 2010 7:27 PM BST
Thanks again, just looking at the horse who finished fifth in the grimthorpe a few weeks back here at donny, even though he was 33 lengths behind the winner, he finished in a time a couple of seconds faster than standard.
Report Me2 April 10, 2010 10:34 PM BST
Jumps racing, the scale used in Britain since 2008 is 5 lengths per second on Good or better, and 4 lengths per second on Gd to Sft or softer.
Report pmt April 10, 2010 11:18 PM BST
Thanks for the clarification me2, I couldn't remember how it changed from 5 to 4.It's not very precise as 4 lengths per second is 17 and change seconds per furlong which would be 4 mins 30 for a 2 mile hurdle. 5 lengths per furlong is 14 seconds pe rfurlong which is 3 mins 44 for a 2mile hurdle about right for Wincanton on fast ground but 4 mins 30 is heavy ground up Scaefell.
Report Me2 April 11, 2010 7:49 AM BST
Also, as a clarification to newcomers on this subject, a length is no longer a length (measure of distance), but instead is a measure of TIME. The amount of time on the photofinish strip is converted to lengths using the scale mentioned in my previous post.

(Scale is different for different goings on the turf, and also for different All Weather surfaces.)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com