Forums

Classics 2016

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
cdw1978
28 May 13 08:26
| Topic/replies: 1,034 | Blogger: cdw1978's blog
Hi we are coming down and I would like to know which pubs are recommended by people on Derby day to go to and avoid. Is there any serving a real nice breakfast which we don't have to reserve in advance. Which is the best station to travel to. We was thinking Tatteham Corner or is Epson Downs better. We are arriving at Kings Cross at 8am. Any help is appreciated as it is my brothers birthday.

Thanks
Pause Switch to Standard View 2013 Derby Pubs, Train information...
Show More
Report kincsem May 28, 2013 5:29 PM BST
I live in Dublin but went for many years.  Get the underground to Victoria, go upstairs to the mainline Victoria station.  Get a day return at the ticket windows to Tattenham Corner (sometimes they have staff selling tickets directly to the queues).  The train goes as far as Croyden, you get off, and must change platforms (up the stairs, over the bridge, back down the other side).  The train to Tattennham Corner will arrive.  Best to go as early as possible in the morning (inquire at Victoria).  You want to avoid waiting on Croyden platform, then trying to get on the race train when it has about one million people already on it.
Some or all of the above may be wrong.  There might not even be Victoria, Croyden, or Tattenham Corner stations now.
No idea on pubs.  You can drink in the bar in the Epsom grandstand, but can't take a glass (they are plastic) out onto the stand or open areas.
Report kincsem May 28, 2013 5:31 PM BST
I've never been to Epsom town.  I think it is about three miles from the course.  No idea about Epsom Downs, probably need a non-existent taxi.  Race day is busy, you know.
From Tattenham Corner station it is about 100 yards to the five furlong start, then you have to walk five furlongs to the grandstand.  Bástards.
Enjoy it you lucky sod.
Report Doctor Feelgood May 29, 2013 12:34 PM BST
From Kings Cross, get Northern Line tube to London Bridge, through train to Tattenham Corner from there. Am going that way myself but not getting to KX until 09.28. Hopefully will have a pint in my hand on course by 11.30.
Report Hibore May 29, 2013 8:55 PM BST
Get the train to Epsom town centre and then get a bus from the station to track (return is £2 I think). If you want a Champagne breakfast then walk towards the Ashley Centre ..just ask... and go to the Canopy Restaurant. Well worth the £20 ! Otherwise McDonalds is nearby.

As for pubs, the Amarto is good and less crowded than the Derby Arms. It is 5 mins from the course.

Have a great day.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com