Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SlippyBlue
28 Nov 21 12:28
| Topic/replies: 31,356 | Blogger: SlippyBlue's blog
Frozen track.

Sad
Pause Switch to Standard View Towcester abandoned today.
Show More
Report SlippyBlue November 28, 2021 12:30 PM GMT
The meeting is still up on the exchange of course. Perhaps when they wake up from their siesta it'll be taken down.
Report Ravage Again November 28, 2021 1:48 PM GMT
Yer hare problems

Was too cold for the bunny Laugh
Report SlippyBlue November 29, 2021 12:55 PM GMT
Towcester have just abandoned tonight's meeting, again for a frozen track.

So we've got graded at Doncaster & Youghal instead on RPGTV, which I'm sure we are all looking forward to immensely.

Plain
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK November 29, 2021 1:23 PM GMT
Towcester want to hold big meeting on New Year’s Day too ??
Lucky to get that sprint final by than
Report devilsadvocate November 29, 2021 5:51 PM GMT

Nov 29, 2021 -- 6:55AM, SlippyBlue wrote:

Towcester have just abandoned tonight's meeting, again for a frozen track.So we've got graded at Doncaster & Youghal instead on RPGTV, which I'm sure we are all looking forward to immensely.

And BF cant be bothered to put up a revised trap challenge despite 3 requests from me AngryAngryAngry

Report Ravage Again November 29, 2021 6:04 PM GMT
Be ok I have heard that all KB family and fans are buying him hairdryers for Xmas Mischief

So can use them all to warm the track up Laugh
Report SlippyBlue November 29, 2021 6:26 PM GMT
I do the trap challenge as well devilsadvocate, I was thinking it was only me on here as it's never mentioned in  any posts!

The Betfair help" on Twitter is the best way to get any answers but I wasn't interested in Youghal so didn't chase it up today.

The firms did have it up though, with a few notable difference of opinions namely trap 2, 11/4 with Sky and 13/2 Hills. Trap 6 4/1 Hills/Sky 13/2 Fred & 365.
Report devilsadvocate November 29, 2021 7:03 PM GMT

Nov 29, 2021 -- 12:26PM, SlippyBlue wrote:

I do the trap challenge as well devilsadvocate, I was thinking it was only me on here as it's never mentioned in

Report devilsadvocate November 29, 2021 7:04 PM GMT
Thanks for the heads up Slippy.  I am mainly a layer on the TC as I cant get a dime on with any of the firms. However they do provide a useful tissue !
Report devilsadvocate November 29, 2021 7:06 PM GMT
m
Guys, lets have a RPGTV greyhound trap challenge meeting up please...either the revised Doncaster and Youghal or just Doncaster (exchange).TIA
5:15 pm
Any news on this please /?..It is available on other exchanges !!!
5:36 pm
??????????????? Starts at 1809 !!!!!!!Frowning faceFrowning face
5:46 pm
Report devilsadvocate November 29, 2021 7:07 PM GMT
Yes, they are normally quire responsive on twitter but not tonight !!!
Report SlippyBlue November 29, 2021 7:25 PM GMT
I've been red carded by them all bar Fred would you believe but like you say the tissue is good to have and if necessary the high street can get on for small amounts.

As you're no doubt aware, the price on here can sometimes be less than may be available with the firms but it's nearly always best on BF especially with the less fancied ones.
Report SlippyBlue November 29, 2021 7:28 PM GMT
I lasted a week with 365 just doing trap challenges.

I got three in a row and that was that, max bet 37p after that and that's for everything including NFL and I absolutely love that sport.
Report devilsadvocate November 29, 2021 8:12 PM GMT
SB, were you at the 1990 derby final ? I had a runner on the supporting card .
Report SlippyBlue November 29, 2021 8:32 PM GMT
Yes most definitely !  Laugh

I was stood on the terraces bang opposite Tony Morris's pitch.

What a night that was and one of my biggest ever ante post wins.
S.B. was paraded by none other than Paul Young and also I was at White City when his sire I'm Slippy won his Derby as well.

I cannot remember any of the other races though as we got stuck into the celebrations and didn't make it home afterwards!
Report LoyalHoncho November 30, 2021 1:11 AM GMT
I remember I'm Slippy well, who ran a great race ( and competition ) to win his Derby, but the five has to rank as one of the unluckiest losers of a Derby final I've ever seen - along with Taylors Sky ( in his second final ) and Ballymac Vic.
Ken Linzell was a master trainer!
Report SlippyBlue November 30, 2021 1:11 PM GMT
1983 Greyhound Derby

------------------------------------------
1) I'm Slippy 6/1
2) On Spec 33/1
3) Debbycot Lad 3/1
4) Game Ball Evens
5) Real Miller 25/1
6) Amazing Man 9/2

Yes L.H. The 5 dog Debbycot Lad met terrible trouble going around the first 2 bends and must have been fully 6 or 7 lengths down on the far side only to finish with a tremendous rattle beaten only 5 spots by the winner.

I was still at school when me and a few pals from Catford dogs decided to make the trip to the City and we were just totally in awe at the whole occasion, it was truly magical, no other word for it.

38 years ago no less, God I feel old!
Laugh
Report LoyalHoncho November 30, 2021 2:16 PM GMT
Well done Slippy.  Were you the school bookie by any chance?
As ramshackle and run down as it became White City during Derby time was indeed an awesome greyhound racing experience.
Report SlippyBlue November 30, 2021 6:07 PM GMT
Yes L.H. I was the school bookie.

All football competitions, the 5 classics and Grand National, The Ashes, who would be number 1 in the charts, Wimbledon.

Yep, I did them all and used to do fairly well.
No interest in the cherries though sadly.
Report clacton November 30, 2021 6:27 PM GMT
Slippy my first Derby at White City was 1951, Ballylanigan Tanist. (I dont only feel old, I am old).
You are so right it was magical. They talk about Wimbledon or Towcester but nothing will ever be like the City.
Report casemoney November 30, 2021 6:46 PM GMT
Nothing has or ever will hold a candle to the city .
Report SlippyBlue November 30, 2021 6:51 PM GMT
Wow Clacton, that's amazing. I love looking at photos and the grainy videos on pathe news from the 50's and 60's meetings.

Literally tens of thousands on the terraces, all wearing cloth caps of course. And pound to a penny you must be in a few of them!
Report sparrow November 30, 2021 9:16 PM GMT
Pigalle Wonder was my first in 1958.
Report LoyalHoncho December 1, 2021 5:13 AM GMT
I once read a "reminisce" about Pigalle Wonder which sent shivers down my spine sparrowYou know the size of the crowds in those days and it was said that when the W.City. crowd first saw the dog race and win so effortlessly that it gasped almost as one, momentarily, then silent in awe and admiration as it pulled away from top class opposition.  Amazing.
Report LoyalHoncho December 1, 2021 5:15 AM GMT
I still wear a cloth cap now Slippy though never at Clacton.  It doesn't half keep my feet warm!  Laugh
Report go racing December 1, 2021 8:54 AM GMT
Watched it last night as there was a rollover on the Placepot and got to say what a pathetic effort has been made on the configuration of the track. Massive open spaces to work from on a blank canvas and you get more trouble on that first bend than Crayford.
They literally take each other out, don’t ride the bends like they would at other larger tracks. Get spread out like sausages in a 900 meter marathon race as well even without trouble. No wonder everyone avoids the place, needs bombing and starting again!
Report sparrow December 1, 2021 3:48 PM GMT
Even on the BBC at 10pm in 1958.

Report casemoney December 2, 2021 1:11 AM GMT
Could u get a bet on Sparrow if not at the track ,in the 50s
Report sparrow December 2, 2021 10:09 AM GMT
Any street corner, case.
Report sparrow December 2, 2021 10:24 AM GMT
At night in many parts of London a man would be selling a results sheet from all the greyhound meetings and would take them down most streets and shouting out as he passed by the houses.  A very different world altogether!
Report SlippyBlue December 2, 2021 1:31 PM GMT
I have to agree with you there go racing, it's a bizarre track to say the least. Having been just the once, if I was to describe my experience in a single word that word would be " soulless ".
Report casemoney December 2, 2021 4:11 PM GMT
Its mad isn't it Sparrow when we look back , I remember the 70s the Midday standard would have all the London cards in
Report sparrow December 2, 2021 4:18 PM GMT
Yes the Standard provided a good service but for me the Greyhound Express could never be bettered.
Report sparrow December 2, 2021 4:23 PM GMT
Some excellent Greyhound Racing History on this site.

http://insight.cumbria.ac.uk/id/eprint/2781/1/Huggins_EverybodysGoingToTheDogs.pdf
Report SlippyBlue December 2, 2021 5:47 PM GMT
The London Evening Standard was an absolute must for tomorrow's runners, also The South London Press had Catford and Wimbledon cards and a little write up about their nap of The day.

Speaking of newspapers how about getting the Sunday tabloids after the last race on the way out! The Mirror, The People and NOTW usually.
Report go racing December 3, 2021 10:35 AM GMT
It's not just the soulless side of things Slippy, it's the first bend that is a mystery. All the room they had to work with to get the bend right and a slight touch drags dogs down to there knees, completely out of the game....whoever designed this needs to resign, it was better as a velodrome! Camera angle does you no favours side on and will be off more than it's on when the weather bites. Don't like putting down a new venture but no one bets there and it is a failure for dog racing, start to finish....and it's home of the Derby, couldn't make it up!
Report LoyalHoncho December 5, 2021 12:23 PM GMT
What I have never understood about this track is how people like Nick Savva praised it so highly when it was starting racing?
I believe his words were "I've been waiting all my life for a track like this"!?
Report sparrow December 5, 2021 2:23 PM GMT
By the way slippy I did answer your question on the Football forum regarding West Ham.
Report SlippyBlue December 5, 2021 3:24 PM GMT
Oh yes Sparrow, please forgive me for not replying but I had people around and it slipped my mind! I only asked as I may have a spare for New Years Day if my brother can't go and thought of you! He owns a very busy country pub and can't always go when the pub needs him. I won't know for certain til a few days before anyway but I somehow thought you still lived in London but no worries.
Report SlippyBlue December 5, 2021 3:42 PM GMT
I've been watching a few races at Towcester (inbetween horse racing) this afternoon and I've now decided that I'm never going to have a bet again at the track and that includes the Derby.

There is literally absolutely nothing that I can say that could be deemed a positive about the place so that's me done now for good.
Report sparrow December 5, 2021 4:13 PM GMT
Thanks anyway slippy. Not really well enough at the present time for the travel but hopefully will visit again in the future.
Report SlippyBlue December 5, 2021 4:20 PM GMT
Ok, I hope you are back fighting fit very soon.
Should be a good game but the way the Hammers are going we'll be up against it for sure.
Report sparrow December 5, 2021 6:10 PM GMT
You will have a good chance as our injuries and amount of games pile up. We have to play 7 games between the 9th and the 28th December!
Report Ravage Again December 5, 2021 8:36 PM GMT
Yer most heats of the puppy derby first two rounds been a massive pile up around the first bend
Report go racing December 5, 2021 11:34 PM GMT
Cannot work out what happens at that ridiculous first bend, seriously needs ripping up and starting again or close the place down. It is embarrassing for the game, still along with Romford, Harlow and the numerous sprints at Central Park it gives a nice break in the daily programme to look at the better tracks!
Report wondersobright December 12, 2021 4:30 PM GMT
these boxes are a fkin disgrace
Report wondersobright December 12, 2021 4:32 PM GMT
if you watch that 4.28 race slow mo replay 6 has charged the boxes
which has led to T6 & to a lesser extent T5 opening out of sync with the other boxes Whoops
Report Deptford December 12, 2021 4:38 PM GMT
Place is a farce, every meeting something goes wrong, dogs lollop they dont stride out, the design etc is just not good enough.
Report wondersobright December 12, 2021 4:43 PM GMT
agree deptford...and the word you are looking for is "khazi"
Report Ravage Again December 12, 2021 4:51 PM GMT
New form card system comments

QA ALed Lolloped The Best Grin

Form Statement for Westmead Hawk at Towcester Derby 1st Round

SA Hmp Rn Up Crwd 1st Bmp 2nd Went 6th to 3rd Position Back Straight Checked 3rd Bend Had To Put The Brakes On Due To Them Slow Lolloping Dogs At 4th Bend Stumbled Dropped Back To 6th Finished Well To Get 4th Beaten Short Head For Third By Towcester A7 Dog Cry

FFS I Beat That Winner By 10 Lengths At Wimbledon Love
Report Deptford December 12, 2021 4:57 PM GMT
They had a great opportunity to produce something special, and bring the sport forwards,sadly they failed but worse, they dont see whats wrong.
Report casemoney December 12, 2021 5:18 PM GMT
Bale out battered all the way Round nearly skittled after the Line ,Only at tow could you get her knocked out
Report ItsMeSwaddle December 12, 2021 5:24 PM GMT
They have given their masters exactly what they wanted sadly, glorified BINGO.
Report casemoney December 12, 2021 5:36 PM GMT
Just watched the 4.28 Won , traps open a foot then fire open 6 on knees Plain
Report casemoney December 12, 2021 5:37 PM GMT
That should have been a No Race
Report casemoney December 12, 2021 5:37 PM GMT
Nothing said in the studio ?
Report casemoney December 12, 2021 5:39 PM GMT
2 nearly killed 1st bend
Report casemoney December 12, 2021 5:40 PM GMT
Will be an Email going in ,50s its read out .
Report SlippyBlue December 12, 2021 7:44 PM GMT
I've given up sending in tweets, they never read them out.

I even "dare" them to, just for a laugh, but they simply refuse.
Spineless jellyfish, the lot of them.
Report wondersobright December 13, 2021 2:00 PM GMT

Dec 12, 2021 -- 11:36AM, casemoney wrote:

Just watched the 4.28 Won , traps open a foot then fire open 6 on knees

scandalous case Sad

Report LoyalHoncho December 13, 2021 4:05 PM GMT
Lolloped The Best    Laugh
Report casemoney December 13, 2021 4:17 PM GMT
Can honestly see a very serious incident Re the traps .
Report Ravage Again December 13, 2021 6:40 PM GMT
Well a few on rptv often say not enough comments on the cards

I should ring up Towcestor and ask them for a job as filling out the form cards Mischief
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com