Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
kennethturrell1
22 Nov 21 03:16
| Topic/replies: 31 | Blogger: kennethturrell1's blog
I remember going Hove greyhounds when they had both sides track open
with the tic tac guys transmitting odds from the 'cheap side' as it was known to the 'dear side'
and amongst the many bookies standing was one M Tabor (where is he now).

Last Sat night went with my mate see his dog run and as it went up in grade we didnt expect it to win.

Mates dog opended at 11/2 with all the 4 bookmakers there.

My freind asked for £50 at 11/2 was knocked back only offered £20 at that price then all 4 bookmakers had
a rub down and then they all only went 4/1 !

dog ran good race came 2nd btw
Pause Switch to Standard View Not like the old days!
Show More
Report pompey rat November 22, 2021 4:10 PM GMT
Kennel. I do not think your post is correct. For a start we do not use 11/2 at hove, we go from 5/1 to 6/1. Also there were some decent bets struck on Saturday, no way would a punter get knocked back for a fifty. Name the Bookmaker you say refused the bet and name the dog. we all have our faults but this story does not add up. Await you reply....Steve
Report kennethturrell1 November 23, 2021 7:18 AM GMT
Greyhound is called cozys back I speak to my mate later get further details but I THINK it was bookie standing further from finish line have no reason make story up
rgds
Report GLASGOWCALLING November 23, 2021 10:38 PM GMT
Evening Pompey, Not been to Hove for a while but enjoyed my days there when living on the south coast.

Any reason for the jump from 5/1 - 6/1 ?? Not heard that before. Regards Glasgow.
Report wondersobright November 24, 2021 12:08 AM GMT
it pre-dates modern times but 11/2 is not a "dog price" GC

say a dog was 6/4 on the board would either go 7/4 or stay @ 6/4...never 13/8
similarly would go 5/4 or stay @ 6/4...never 11/8
Report wondersobright November 24, 2021 12:12 AM GMT
don't quote me on it but from memory...
evs, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 2, 9/4, 5/2, 3, 7/2, 4, 9/2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20...

before that 100/8, 100/6 etc
Report kennethturrell1 November 24, 2021 9:04 AM GMT
I spoke to my freind he said all boards had his dog at5/1.

He asked if he could have £50 @ 11/2.

That was refused so he had £20 @5/1

Straight away that price was changed to 4/1

That price never changed and that 4/1 was official S.P. price

On a slightly different matter at present during the mid week meetings
only one bookmaker in the upstairs concourse area is in attendence so how do they 
decide what prices to offer as even the programes no longer have any guide
to what dog could be the favourite
Report shiner November 24, 2021 9:56 AM GMT
that would have aggravated me when i stood at hove asking for a price that wasnt on the board they could have a 5 grand to one but not a 275 to 50
Report shiner November 24, 2021 10:00 AM GMT
and as for putting a show up thats straightforward just look at the machine
Report pompey rat November 24, 2021 11:09 AM GMT
Kennel. Your latest post is not what was stated in OP. As said earlier we do not use 11/2 so when you stated all four boards were displaying that price I knew that was not correct. It was also stated in OP that the Book cut his bet from a fifty to a score, it now seems the punter only asked for a score after being refused extra half a point. The SP price since start of the pandemic is now derived from the offcourse firms. The prices displayed at the track no longer has any bearing on the SP. Your friends dog is a nice pup with good early and will win plenty of races, good luck for the future. Regards....Steve
Report wondersobright November 24, 2021 1:01 PM GMT
asking for a price that wasn't on the board **** me
Report wondersobright November 24, 2021 1:03 PM GMT

Nov 24, 2021 -- 9:56AM, shiner wrote:

that would have aggravated me when i stood at hove asking for a price that wasnt on the board they could have a 5 grand to one but not a 275 to 50

snap

and moaning about it on a public forum

Report SlippyBlue November 24, 2021 1:08 PM GMT
That's interesting to read that pompey rat. I went to Towcester on Saturday 13th November and it was not covered by any firm and Betfair included.
As it was more a social evening primarily with folks who were not punters as such, more forecasts and forecasts for a bit of fun, it was no big deal for me really.

Having said that I did wander downstairs for the first race to see the layers, as I have said I did on a previous thread, and what sort of a book they were offering.

2 books stood, both showing identical boards @ 149% and that remained the show when the traps opened. I did say to one of them that was a flapping track percentage and not what you would expect at the so called premier track in the U.K. The bloke mumbled something which I didn't manage to understand and I just walked away not even bothering to engage any further.

So, the industry return for that race was 122%. On course punters were not offered anywhere near that, it was 149% when the race was on.

How can this possibly be right?

"Come racing". Cry
Report pompey rat November 24, 2021 1:49 PM GMT
Slippy. Not acceptable to bet like that. Can only speak about Hove, where generally the average SP is around 127%.
Report BigDeal November 24, 2021 4:10 PM GMT
Bit off topic but seeing the title of this thread and the name 'pompey rat' prompted me.    I cycled down Target Road yesterday and around the perimeter of where where the Pompey track used to be. Just a wasteland now and no indication the track was ever there.   It was pretty basic but we had some great times.  I seem to remember getting in for £4 which included a racecard, a pint and sausage and chips back in the day....
Report pompey rat November 24, 2021 4:53 PM GMT
Great days at Pompey. Greatly missed.
Report SlippyBlue November 24, 2021 6:34 PM GMT
127% @ Hove is the norm then I take it pompey rat?
For example....

T1) 11/4 Fav
T2) 4/1 C2F5
T3) 4/1
T4) 4/1
T5) 4/1
T6) 4/1

----------------------------------
126.67 %

Hove is my favourite track of those left that are within easy (ish) reach of me and I'll be there again no doubt in the coming months but I hope you'll understand that I certainly won't be punting at the track given that percentage.
Report shiner November 24, 2021 11:22 PM GMT
when i used to bet there we would generally bet best prices of around 110 and u could get a proper bet on how times have changed
Report the.mad.dog.man November 25, 2021 9:00 AM GMT
dog game gone soooooooooooooooooo much cheating
Report kennethturrell1 January 1, 2022 9:00 PM GMT
Wonder who took the decision at Hove that no dogs wuld be 13/8 for example as it does not seem a Coral decision as today at Crayford two races were won by 13/8 chances and one was returned at 11/8.(1 Jan)

At Doncaster today (Jan 01) and at Perry Barr a number of winners were returned at prices not allowed at Hove it seems.Have not gone through all the meetings but sure there were many more

I think that any punter has the right to request any price whether its on the board or not as many times on course (and on here) many get accepted eventually especially when the market has a few minutes before the race is due to be run.
Report kennethturrell1 January 1, 2022 9:20 PM GMT
Shiner he was not asking £5 k those days well in the past at any track just £50 which he thought reasonable price on a puppy that was not used making good starts and getting into trouble on bends.

Dog did not win so  saved himself a bit in end and bookmaker lost also never taking his bet
Report shiner January 3, 2022 12:26 PM GMT
mdm there are plenty of people still making it pay on the dogs WITHOUT resorting to cheating
Report kennethturrell1 January 5, 2022 11:42 AM GMT
cheating?????? wadc
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com