Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Captain carnage
04 Jul 21 17:12
| Topic/replies: 5,581 | Blogger: Captain carnage's blog
Wondering whether to go to final night.

Was it easy to get seats and a drink etc? Hopefully no Covid police about? Wat about if it rained?

I couldn't handle a similar fiasco to Notiingham from 2 years ago.
Pause Switch to Standard View Anyone go to Towcester last 2 Saturdays?
Show More
Report the bairn July 4, 2021 9:50 PM BST
Towcester have the best facilities of any greyhound track anywhere. cheers.
Report casemoney July 5, 2021 2:09 AM BST
Yes and the most tedious racing I have ever seen .. The whole event has become a Borefest ..

Bang and ur in, Miss and ur gone we lost two sids last night .One left who tbh  should have

gone first round ,The miracle of the parting of the lanes at the 1st bend .

Im ahead I bet sammy round he won and  Ballymac (we just thought we would put him on the van )fairone last night , I bet unlock top bitch ,After timing got pennies on thorn at 25s ,Its still shyte ..

Dogs do not appear to blast down the back and anything mid to rails is levered in round 3 and 4 all this after if you aint smashed ur in trouble anyway , Anyone who says this is a derby track
who is a long term dog fan is either lying or has lost the fooking plot .
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK July 5, 2021 10:59 AM BST
He asked if your been brain
Cos it was shambles first rd
Like to think it got better
But with covid rules sit at poxy table I can’t see it
Being much better if there 1000 odd going
Still ain’t made up my mind if I’m going
Report Captain carnage July 5, 2021 2:44 PM BST
Like you case im nicely in front on the derby nights so far - in fact I dont know anyone with a brain who are losing unless your one of the miracle hopers who back the staying plodder types.

The one thing any pro punter doesnt want is dogs `taking off down the back' and nailing your front runners.
Report Ravage Again July 5, 2021 3:35 PM BST
Suppose as winning a few quid as laid a few shorties and backed that fatboyz dog on the basis it might sneak an early lead

But it’s still not an enjoyable experience from a purist point of view as 70 to 80+ per cent of the time dog leads around first bend wins

And the ones which are in 4th 5th and 6th position early on do nothing in the whole race

Just out of interest can someone do the stats please on graded four bends races at the following tracks

Towcestor
Crayford
Romford
Hove
Monmore

For say last 12 months, dog leading around the first bend per cent that win the race
Report casemoney July 6, 2021 5:44 PM BST
The one thing any pro punter doesnt want is dogs `taking off down the back' and nailing your front runners.

It wont foooking happen round there Capitano thats for sure  Grin
Report casemoney July 6, 2021 5:45 PM BST
Rain forecast for saturday PlainI hope it foooking pishes down Grin
Report Captain carnage July 6, 2021 6:39 PM BST
Yes. I'm getting old and the forecast is as shhhite as the rest of the summer and I dont fancy waiting
2 hours for a warm beer on a wooden bench.
Report sparrow July 6, 2021 6:41 PM BST

Yes who wants to see the likes of Westmead Hawk winning the Derby!!
Report wedge1 July 6, 2021 8:02 PM BST
sparrow half these cants on here never see a dog run round wood lane let alone appreciate the track craft of the hawk but i concur towcester is not fit to hold the derby
Report sparrow July 6, 2021 8:11 PM BST
Very likely true, wedge.
Report Deptford July 6, 2021 8:18 PM BST
I attended White City many times, a poxy journey from Deptford via public transport, loved the place, first visit I was 13.
Report michael59 July 6, 2021 8:30 PM BST
i got the 12 bus to white city from peckham in 74 saw patricias hope out of the money . my one and only time there and the 30.000 there with that roar shook me , went to wimbledon to watch the derby in its later years it was an absolute khazi and still cant understand how people wax lyrical on here about that effing gaff
Report SlippyBlue July 6, 2021 8:42 PM BST
1983, still at school and went from South East London to see I'm Slippy win his final and Haymaker Mack doing the clock in the consolation final.The only dog ever to break 29 seconds for the trip, 28.95. Great memories.
Report Ravage Again July 6, 2021 8:52 PM BST
Well yer Wimbledon was a decent stadium in the hit the lid time, but obviously went downhill in its latter years

But it was a very fair test of a greyhound and you could come from behind

It worlds apart from Towcestor and that is test of getting a fast start and leading at the first bend - then you’re have won.

Although as we know the trap 1 record in the final was awful until the sides switched at the don

For me the fastest dog around the 480m trip was some picture

Premier fantasy was the only one that might have give it a race, although was really unlucky in that semi when 3 length clear
Report sparrow July 6, 2021 9:18 PM BST
Wimbledon was as ravage says a very fair test but the stadium was left to rot unfortunately. I have long since come to the conclusion that we were spoilt before the 1980s and just find it very difficult to accept what is on offer these days such as 6 two bend races on the Towcester card this evening. Such races only existed on flapping tracks before the 70s and tracks wouldn't have dared put them on.
Report irishone July 7, 2021 9:35 AM BST
Always insulted the boss there
Just took the pi55 out of him really every opportunity
He had a car GRA 1 was the plate
RAPER was his name
Most appropriate as it turned out
Report LoyalHoncho July 7, 2021 3:21 PM BST
We all do sparrow but they come along infrequently.  Which is what makes me laugh about this " lead the bend and you've won" criticism of Towcester.  Some, indeed many, of the greatest Derby winners in history had that very m.o.
"Charlie gets them out" was a phrase used on here regularly, and rightly so.  Getting out and leading the bend has always been 90% of the deal.
Anywhere!
Report sparrow July 7, 2021 4:59 PM BST
The point I would make loyal is that Westmead Hawk would never win a derby at Towcester let alone other dogs that lack a bit of early speed. Moral Standards was another that springs to mind and there have been many more that came from off the pace.
Report sparrow July 7, 2021 5:07 PM BST
Unbeaten throughout the competition Moral Standards wins the 1994 Derby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIStfSdsobs
Report Ravage Again July 7, 2021 5:39 PM BST
Yer we are talking about how a dog can come from behind and win

Not come from behind in 5th or 6th position at the first bend and scrape a qualifying position in 3rd place beaten say 5 lengths

Massive difference

Westmead Hawk
Moral Standards

Would have won zero finals at Towcestor
Report SlippyBlue July 7, 2021 6:47 PM BST
I agree with that sparrow and Ravage, add to the list Slippy Blue as well. It's pretty unimaginable that he would have a won the derby at Towcester.
Report wedge1 July 7, 2021 7:01 PM BST
draw a list up of dogs that have come from behind to win the derby aint many since i have been going
Report Deptford July 7, 2021 7:50 PM BST
2016    Jaytee Jet    Paul Hennessy (Ireland)    15/8F    28.22
2015    Rio Quattro    Danny Riordan (Harlow)    5/1    28.24
2014    Salad Dodger    Bruno Berwick (Private)    16/1    28.38
2013    Sidaz Jack    Charlie Lister OBE (Private)    6/1    28.37
2012    Blonde Snapper    Mark Wallis (Yarmouth)    8/1    28.65
2011    Taylors Sky    Charlie Lister OBE (Private)    7/4F    28.17 (Track Record)
2010    Bandicoot Tipoki    Charlie Lister OBE (Private)    7/2    28.57
2009    Kinda Ready    Mark Wallis (Harlow)    25/1    28.65
2008    Loyal Honcho    Seamus Graham (Ireland)    5/2JF    28.60
2007    Westmead Lord    Nick Savva (Private)    6/1    28.47
2006    Westmead Hawk    Nick Savva (Private)    4/7F    28.44
2005    Westmead Hawk    Nick Savva (Private)    5/4F    28.56
2004    Droopys Scholes    Ian Reilly (Ireland)    7/2    28.62
2003    Farloe Verdict    Charlie Lister OBE (Private)    12/1    28.82
2002    Allen Gift

Quite a few there never led
Report sparrow July 7, 2021 7:58 PM BST
Don't worry they'll be putting it over the 270 trip next year at Towcester just to make certain. Plain
Report Ravage Again July 7, 2021 9:25 PM BST
Wow looking at that list not many who led at the first bend actually won the final

Just shows what a great running surface and track Wimbledon was
Report irishone July 8, 2021 5:23 AM BST
Sidaz led all the way
Report sparrow July 8, 2021 6:45 AM BST
Great back straight pace wins it for Moaning Lad in 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-A75go7P0c
Report wedge1 July 8, 2021 7:24 AM BST
farloe verdict did not win was winner on disq of always led droopys hewit
Report sparrow July 8, 2021 7:51 AM BST
But I never got paid, wedge. Sad
Report irishone July 8, 2021 7:51 AM BST
Whoops
Report Captain carnage July 8, 2021 9:47 AM BST
Plenty of similarities between Towcester and Wimbledon plus just about every track in the UK.

If you lead clean at the first bend you should win about 75+% of the time.
Its very hard to break from T1.
Strong dogs can win but they cant make mistakes.

Ps. If you think Westmead Hawk couldnt win a derby over 500m at Towcester then he
clearly wasnt the dog you think he was.
He could and he was.
Report Ravage Again July 8, 2021 10:18 AM BST
Sidaz
Blonde
Taylor’s
Lord
Droopys scholes - I think it led at the first
And as wedge says droopys hewitt

I think that’s all
Report Ravage Again July 8, 2021 10:21 AM BST
I do not think you will ever see a dog come from 5th or 6th early on and win the final at Towcestor
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK July 8, 2021 10:35 AM BST
Plenty of similarities between Towcester and Wimbledon plus just about every track in the UK.

Your barking surly Laugh
Report casemoney July 8, 2021 3:27 PM BST
Droopys scholes - I think it led at the first

Led 3rd  Tims Crow led round
Report harry callaghan July 8, 2021 4:45 PM BST
I talked to Kevin boon before racing began after the relaying of the track and asked him whether he’d got rid of the inside trap bias and the swamp down the back straight when wide, as dogs were not striding out or making ground.

I have to say I think the track is actually worse now than it was before and it was shocking then, dogs were always on the turn then so impossible to hit full stride down the back straight…

It is a shocking track imo boy do I miss Wimbledon just a great track for all dogs…this is just terrible

Toms the best would be my favourite while we’re reminiscing, such a clever dog but westmead getting up close home was just marvellous

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEw...
Report harry callaghan July 8, 2021 4:52 PM BST
This is a classic

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&ved=2ahUK...
Report ItsMeSwaddle July 8, 2021 5:09 PM BST
Im just glad we dont have the SIS bloke on comms, imagine....AND ITS 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 all the way round cos nout changes order.
Report Ravage Again July 8, 2021 6:04 PM BST
I had my worst night punting when some picture won the derby that night and toms the best led up and hacked up by 8 lengths

I had backed about 7 losers before some pictures race

I nearly chased and had what would of been by biggest stacked bet ever

A double on some picture at 4-6 and toms the best at 2-1

If I had done it would have finished level or mebbys winning a few quid

I bottled it and keep me money in my pocket

O well never mind at least I had a great night punting in one of the early rounds that year
Report wedge1 July 8, 2021 6:23 PM BST
Gents there is no way to compere the derby at different tracks white city was the derby the atmosphere the banging of the hoarding then the roar never replicated
Wimbledon fine track in its day just not my idea as a replacement for the big one
Towcester tried and failed 1st time track bollux
Nottingham not fit yet it did
Towcester mark 2 some love it some hate it aint any other option bookie run tracks dont want it
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com