Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
dr . atkins
13 Dec 18 13:14
| Topic/replies: 35,682 | Blogger: dr . atkins's blog
so that's why they don't take bet
Pause Switch to Standard View romford bookers on 700pound a week
Show More
Report wondersobright December 13, 2018 1:38 PM GMT
nice work if you can get it
Report hectoratoratora December 13, 2018 2:46 PM GMT
Whats bookers?.Is it supposed to be hookers?
Report sparrow December 13, 2018 2:59 PM GMT
Booker Group plc was the United Kingdom's largest food wholesale operator, offering branded and private label goods to over 400,000 customers, including independent convenience stores, grocers, pubs, and restaurants. Wikipedia
Report dr . atkins December 13, 2018 3:10 PM GMT
yes wonders just stand up tell punters that are left they cant have a bet and pocket 700 a week
Report sparrow December 13, 2018 3:37 PM GMT
How many of these so called bookmakers get this money?
Report hunterwellies December 13, 2018 3:49 PM GMT
how many meetings a week does the 700 cover please?
Report woodmanchester December 13, 2018 3:50 PM GMT
Paid off to return s h i t t y  sp, while the shops rake it in
Report dr . atkins December 13, 2018 3:51 PM GMT
6 meetings a week plus they have a week off they rotate but still get paid
Report dr . atkins December 13, 2018 3:52 PM GMT
4 track bookmakers at romford all get it
Report hunterwellies December 13, 2018 4:08 PM GMT
swindons better than that, they get a bottle a meting!!  3xbottle  nice work if u can get it... as said earlier all it does is turns em negative, more so than normal and that's saying something.
Report Czechbet December 13, 2018 4:19 PM GMT
Poole is better also
Report hunterwellies December 13, 2018 4:24 PM GMT
same as czech
Report sparrow December 13, 2018 4:49 PM GMT
What a sorry state of affairs it has all come too when bookmakers are being paid to stand in order to return the SP's.
Report Winja December 13, 2018 8:46 PM GMT
helps with the exs when majority of bags cards return very little turnover but you cant live on that......i don't begrudge them.....
Report swampy117 December 14, 2018 7:32 PM GMT
Although the tracks mentioned appear to be held over a barrel by their Bookmakers,Icant remember seeing any adverts trying to add to their numbers or replacing them.
Report dr . atkins December 14, 2018 7:54 PM GMT
for 700 a week you can see why
Report treetop December 14, 2018 9:27 PM GMT
The shops recoup all that money by 'managing the S P's '. Surely a restriction of trade somewhere in there for SFO or M&C to investigate ?
Report privatehire December 15, 2018 8:03 AM GMT
Absolute facking disgrace.  Paid to manipulate s.p. returns. Even in doing so u still can't av a bet. Only in greyhound racing. Welcome to our world.
Report eggyboy December 15, 2018 8:49 AM GMT
Bags on course bookmakers prices have always been manipulated by the chain betting shops ,it used to be 50 quid on a runner to drop the price,now it seems just a back hander does the job just as well.
Report swampy117 December 15, 2018 8:58 AM GMT
If the oncourse business is so bad that Bookmakers have to be paid to operate ,how can this service be a safe operation for eight thousand shops.What turnover is the sp generated on.
Report Winja December 15, 2018 9:46 AM GMT
i would not worry about sp returns they nearly always reflect the Betfair markets......bookmakers have manipulated sps since betting shops began operating....in the busy days they had representatives on course to shorten dogs that had been backed in the shops.....informed via a landline telephone supplied by the track ......i cant believe i appear to be alone in this...….put yourself in their position......i am talking about any mainstream bags track bookmakers........virtually zero field money from sporadic attendances......are you really upset at them getting around £120 a meeting towards expenses.....
Report sparrow December 15, 2018 9:59 AM GMT
winja, what you're saying is perfectly fair but you are missing the point somewhat in that this is showing what a terrible mess the game is in when they have to pay bookmakers to stand and return an SP. And by the way SP returns do not always reflect the betfair markets unless we are just talking about the front 2 in the market.
Report Winja December 15, 2018 10:15 AM GMT
its not that long ago bookmakers used to pay the track to stand...….that was when there were decent attendances with competitive racing and the bookmakers had an opportunity to earn...….once that situation changed the opportunity no longer existed so the principal was reversed otherwise why would anyone stand......the game is dying but its not track bookmakers receiving a contribution towards expenses that's killing it...….agree the point about sp returns and Betfair but the field prices are the difference between 101% and 120% markets....
Report Czechbet December 15, 2018 10:30 AM GMT
the sport has been purposely run into the ground its part of the master plan... get what you can how you can... the people so called running the game are...
Report wondersobright December 15, 2018 10:36 AM GMT
privatehire • December 15, 2018 8:03 AM GMT
Absolute facking disgrace.  Paid to manipulate s.p. returns. Even in doing so u still can't av a bet. Only in greyhound racing. Welcome to our world.

100% spot on
Report wondersobright December 15, 2018 10:44 AM GMT

Dec 15, 2018 -- 3:46AM, Winja wrote:

i would not worry about sp returns they nearly always reflect the Betfair markets......bookmakers have manipulated sps since betting shops began operating....in the busy days they had representatives on course to shorten dogs that had been backed in the shops.....informed via a landline telephone supplied by the track ......i cant believe i appear to be alone in this...….put yourself in their position......i am talking about any mainstream bags track bookmakers........virtually zero field money from sporadic attendances......are you really upset at them getting around £120 a meeting towards expenses.....

(in theory at least) starting prices should be arrived at by market forces, ie following exchange of money between punter & bookmaker, not by a cartel illegally rigging prices for their own benefit

been going on since time immemorial like you say

Report Winja December 15, 2018 10:56 AM GMT
i know you understand wonders but for the benefit of those who dont....the track bookmakers open with their independent tissue......usually agreed one will open....others then follow this principal guide.....even if there is no live money if a dog is 3/1 at the track and trading at 2/1 on exchanges it will be cut as the track bookmakers are allowed to use exchanges for laying off and there would be more of an outcry if they were not cut...........prices on all dogs will still be offered to the off at which time the average will form the official sp......i think the theory is still being followed wonders...….the only manipulation is when one of the mainstream ring up asking for a monkey at sp for a dog forcing the price down......but that is not every race...
Report garryc December 15, 2018 11:00 AM GMT
sps are making no difference to the majority as we cant get a bet on anyway,it will effect anyone who does forecasts/tricasts if you can get on in shops,and anyone taking sps is going to struggle to win unless they are doing it on the odd occasion at sheffield where the sps and show prices are sometimes way out of line,
Report wondersobright December 15, 2018 11:09 AM GMT
I can't remember too many occasions when 3s has been available about a dog trading at 2s on here (to fair money)
track SPs is basically tail wagging the dog
pay 3 bookies to open up at 150%, watch betfair, push a few out to 130% late on, machete the SPs on live dogs & particularly races with NRs
job done
Report garryc December 15, 2018 11:14 AM GMT
the only tracks you will get a difference with the sp being better sometimes are sheffield and hove,and occasionaly kinsley as £50 there on betfair can cause a stampede late on as its market is very weak,
Report sparrow December 15, 2018 11:19 AM GMT
the game is dying but its not track bookmakers receiving a contribution towards expenses that's killing it..,

winja..... I am not for one moment blaming the track bookmakers for the current situation but merely pointing out that this payment  is another example of the state of the game today. I'm well aware as to how the track bookmakers work as my father was a clerk for many years at White City and Horse Racing tracks.
Report Winja December 15, 2018 11:24 AM GMT
the explanation was for others than the regulars sparrow......i know the majority understand but like many of these threads there are more readers than contributors......i am in agreement with the state of the industry.....we all know it stems from the top but they have put their gonads in the hands of the industry bookmakers and are just happy if the gravy keeps pouring and the squeeze is not uncomfortable.....
Report sparrow December 15, 2018 11:38 AM GMT
For myself I think it's outrageous that some of these off course bookmakers and that includes betfair get to profit from the sport without making a proper contribution.
Report wondersobright December 15, 2018 11:40 AM GMT
its scandalous
Report backatrier December 15, 2018 11:59 AM GMT
Late summer went to Romford bags meeting to watch our bitch in an A4.
Arrived at track 2 mins before off & as betfair was trading very thin around the 4.8 mark had £100 @ 7/2 with books. Price was cut to 3/1 with all 3 books, cant really decide if that's right or wrong as £100 changing the SP in all the shops seems wrong but on the basis it was almost certainly the only decent bet they took maybe its fair enough? Luckily for me she did win & while I was watching the replay inside bookie tapped me on the shoulder & gave me the £450 which i thought was a nice touch.
Report Ravage Again December 15, 2018 12:08 PM GMT
That's not a bad yearly wage £37k ish I do it

Let's face it most bookies are getting on abit

So it gets them out the house
Can have a chat with their mates at the track
Get to fook off all the punters by refusing all bets over 20 quid then back em back on the machine
Would have to include free coffee and bacon buns in the contract for all my staff though at the track

But yer I would do it sounds like an easy life Laugh
Report sparrow December 15, 2018 12:11 PM GMT
dr will put your name forward, ravage. Plain
Report Winja December 15, 2018 12:17 PM GMT
the vacancy is at belle vue and woody is your clerk.....
Report dr . atkins December 15, 2018 12:21 PM GMT
2 of the bookmakers were going to turn it in one of the others was skint and owes plenty but since on wages they all want to stay put. i wonder why when no one can get a bet pound on the lay side at 4.5 they go 11t4
Report Ravage Again December 15, 2018 12:41 PM GMT
LOL between me and woody

We be arguing what the maximum stake is a fiver or a tenner Grin
Report Czechbet December 15, 2018 12:45 PM GMT
Laugh
Report Deepdale Dreamer December 15, 2018 1:45 PM GMT
Belle Vue bookmakers don't get paid to stand BAGS meetings Weds & Sunday, although they don't pay rent either. They still pay their rent to stand at the track on a Saturday night.
Report the.mad.dog.man December 15, 2018 2:21 PM GMT
the stow bookmakers should have been paying a grand a meeting on bags all the knock outs they did and first shows LaughLaughLaugh
Report wondersobright December 15, 2018 2:32 PM GMT
oxford books as well Grin
Report Stow_judge December 15, 2018 3:40 PM GMT
SPs should be regulated. Regardless of the finals shows, the SPs should be factored back to "fair" overrounds for the punters. They use this approach for CSF, so why not SPs? Also, in this day & age, they should all have electronic boards at all tracks, with the live overround shown at all times. They should also have this with all bookmaker published odds.
The chart forecasts of course, are not factored back in the same way as the CSF. Where obscene overrounds are returned, the punters are absolutely raped.
Report dr . atkins December 15, 2018 7:57 PM GMT
backatrier you were blessed to get the bet
Report swampy117 December 16, 2018 11:51 AM GMT
Would be interesting to know the feeling of owners and trainers at the tracks that pay the bookmakers these fees.
Report ItsMeSwaddle December 16, 2018 4:24 PM GMT

Dec 13, 2018 -- 10:49AM, sparrow wrote:

What a sorry state of affairs it has all come too when bookmakers are being paid to stand in order to return the SP's.

Stinks, agree.

Report Saadmaan December 20, 2018 8:04 AM GMT
The 3 books at Doncaster are paid £250 per meeting, hence they have no desire to lay a dog.  Compare this to what the track get paid per meeting and it's cheap!!
Report dr . atkins December 20, 2018 12:51 PM GMT
another sad state of affairs by the romford bookmakers someone had a 30pound bet it won the person was told you can never have a bet with us again what is ian smyth going to do about this well get rid of the bookmakers who won't take a bet and get some new bookmakers in that will stand up for the money you are paying and will take a bet
Report starship December 20, 2018 5:16 PM GMT
the stow bookmakers should have been paying a grand a meeting on bags all the knock outs they did and first shows

cheap at half the price
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com