Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ebulGery
26 Feb 16 00:47
| Topic/replies: 22,542 | Blogger: ebulGery's blog
BOOKMAKERS have been told they must contribute more to protecting racing dogs and should not prioritise profit over high welfare standards by the parliamentary cross-party Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee.

Efra sees a statutory levy as the most effective mechanism to achieve this, a recommendation regarded by the Greyhound Board of Great Britain as a major boost in its chairman Tom Kelly’s battle to make progress with the layers over their offshore business.
"If a voluntary agreement cannot be struck we recommend that government introduce a statutory levy of one per cent of gross turnover. This will ensure the welfare of greyhounds is adequately funded in the future.”

This is not legal under EU law.  So I would suggest Greyhound Fans vote OUT in the referendum.
I like this idea myself
Pause Switch to Standard View Efra report supports call for...
Show More
Report eastmead February 26, 2016 11:18 PM GMT
Can anyone tell me why when the Chairman of the EFRA committee suggested a statutory levy was needed, Tom Kelly twice said he thought a statutory levy was not needed.
Report Ron-Russian February 26, 2016 11:59 PM GMT
Tom Kelly should be removed from the position he holds immediately!!

What has he actually done for the Sport so far?

in his BBC Radio interview he singles out betfair for not contributing
to the fund but when his not getting his bookmaker pals to tip up enough
why should betfair pay?

how can it be allowed to take a greyhound bet to a bookmaker of say 200£ on-line & none of that go back into the Sport?

Surely it can't be long before Matt Allwright - Rogue Traders is knocking on Kelly's door?
Report ebulGery February 27, 2016 12:57 AM GMT
I would like to see this introduced as law whether this has anything to do with Tom Kelly or not.

Obviously Bookmakers are not all contributing voluntary.

This is because it helps the welfare of all greyhounds in this sport, which I consider important.
Report ebulGery February 27, 2016 1:00 AM GMT
This is not only the right thing to do , it protects the sport from the Antis.

I put the greyhounds before people.
Report ebulGery February 27, 2016 1:38 AM GMT
I know you are a good owner, who has always considered the welfare of your greyhounds, Ron.

But not all owners do, and more and more greyhounds are trainer owned.

So if Bookmakers are making the profits people claim, then first of all I would like to see it go to welfare first,

that is all.

I am not concerned with personalities.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com