Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
RothmanMike
29 Dec 12 15:20
| Topic/replies: 7,465 | Blogger: RothmanMike's blog
Must go for sentimental reasons.
Saw lots of good dogs run there - albeit a few years ago'

Role of Fame - TV Trophy winner
Gin 'n Jass - fastest sprinter
Cloverhill June - a favourite marathon bitch

A fine track but like Hackney Wick, not such a desirable area for investment(Blackbird Leys).
Good times though
Pause Switch to Standard View OXFORD FINALE TONIGHT
Show More
Report TheMadGhost December 30, 2012 11:24 AM GMT
I went to Oxford last night.  The running surface was perfect; the facilities were the best I've seen for a while, the racing good, the bookmakers, (3 plus one betting without), averaging 130%, (Reading and Walthamstow bookmakers were betting a disgraceful 170-180%!).  Is it the area or the GRA, again?  Or maybe, as I've said before, take away the GRA, BAGS, SKY, RPTV and force tracks to stand on their own two feet and work to get people in the door and just maybe this game might survive.  Oxford closing is a great shame and this sport must fight to stop the next one.
Report ONSLOW1974 December 30, 2012 12:13 PM GMT
Was at Oxford last night.
Seemed unreal that a g8 facility is closing.
Considering it was the books last chance, they bet fairly,
didn't see a bet refused.
Mr Baker having the last 2 winners made sure the books didn't return a profit!!
Good luck to everyone concerned with the track - you deserved to be treated better!!Sad
Report irishone December 30, 2012 12:28 PM GMT
looking at the vt of rpgtv last night
the suggestion was made
that the place closed because it lost its bags contract
and ...
that it lost its bags contract because of dodgy dealings in the betting ring

.....   so it was nothing to do with the property value of the site .... my fecking r s Cry
Report VIDUKA December 31, 2012 12:53 PM GMT
Everyone seem to be saying the same thing. Great facilities kept very clean and tidy unlike most dog tracks you go to,
fair track, bookies that will take a bet, over rounds not too bad (130% ish)great restaurant facilities,
PROFITABLE TRACK with lots of regular custom (especially on a Saturday) SO WHY THE F*** IS IT CLOSED.
It is fair to say that Blackbird leys has a bit of a reputation, however the actual site which the staduim and surrounding
car parks etc are on is a huge area and would be worth a fortune. A f****** disgrace that this great place is being closed
even though no planning permission has been passed on this site yet. Who has made this decision to just leave this place
to rot. Another nail in the coffin for the sport and the normal working bloke who occasionally went down there with his
mates or family for a night out. These decision makers make me sick. No morals, no thought of the dozens who will lose their
jobs, just sheer greed on their part. In 5 years time or however long it is, when the site has been flattened and the houses
go up (because they will) I wonder if the moneymakers will put anything back into that local community. NOT A CHANCE.
Just be another 1000 or so people living in Blackbird leys with less leisure facilities to go to. And the people who made all the money, whoever they are will be the first to complain about 'the youth of today' and 'youngsters have no respect these days' when they kick off because they have nothing to do. These people think they are the pillers of society but in actual fact they are the ones
bringing society to its knees by making decisions like closing Oxford.
Report chica-guapa December 31, 2012 1:14 PM GMT
Shocking state of affairs - lovely fair track and distance, starting traps were a joke to be honest, had some good nights there, not too far DENNIS Love
Report Clarence Worley December 31, 2012 3:19 PM GMT
Reading and Walthamstow bookmakers were betting a disgraceful 170-180%!

I don't know about Reading but they didn't bet like that at Walthamstow.
Report go racing December 31, 2012 7:55 PM GMT
If the prices hadn't been manipulated for the last few years then it would still be here....good luck Perry Barr!
Report ONSLOW1974 December 31, 2012 8:41 PM GMT
G R thats rubbish
Report the.mad.dog.man January 1, 2013 10:20 AM GMT
go racing true
Report WhiteHatJon January 1, 2013 10:24 AM GMT
Go Racing & TMDM

You are both 100% correct
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539