Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Keith Singleton
14 Nov 12 23:40
| Topic/replies: 163 | Blogger: Keith Singleton's blog
Serious rumours doing the rounds Sky TV won't be with us next year. This will have massive implications on our sport, more so open racing. Yet another nail looks to be heading our way Scared
Anybody else heard anything?
Pause Switch to Standard View Sky TV? Greyhound Racing to stop?
Show More
Report starship November 15, 2012 12:42 AM GMT
heard that the viewing figures were pretty poor and that is being classed as a minority sport
we need some one like barry hearn to glamourised the sport
he has done well with snooker and especially darts
Report DONEMYLOT November 15, 2012 9:59 AM GMT
Find the thread on here from a couple of years ago about 'modernising' it, Bh was touted then and fk all has been done.

Whatever you think of the leadership, they are not the characters to do that.

I'm still unsure how many 'ordinary' people watch the Sky, as opposed to the same faces that watch RGPTV ie dog people, but it can never be good.

game is so far behind the times, needs to embrace tv not put it up as an excuse.
Report Swayne November 15, 2012 10:00 AM GMT
we do need it to be glamourized and razzmatazz'd up for sure. Hearn has done great job at other sports but the bookies have stranglehold on the sport. Anyway imo the dogs cant be compared to darts/snooker etc...those sports have no cost base, you just hire the hall!
Report DONEMYLOT November 15, 2012 10:06 AM GMT
fair enough, but look at darts. My word it has changed. There is the issue of the pi55ed crowd shouting during the players throw, but the players accept it (sort of) for the huge money they get.

It may be a case of having a star in the game - golf had Tiger and now Rory and they'll come from everywhere to watch it.

Guess with the dogs you need to make the animal more interactive with the crowd/kids. No point dragging them out, run, back in. they are just known as numbers. Give them sexy running names, let people stroke and meet the winners (dogs not trainers), big jackpots, less miserable bookmakers. It is not an experience unless out for a night on the tiles, unless you are my wife and friends at a graded Harlow meeting where everything was base level.

Lots and lots can be done, but they'll just moan and moan about this and that.....
Report Winja November 15, 2012 2:08 PM GMT
sky are getting a full nights coverage for peanuts........they should sponsor and cover competitions and have sky bet stand decent wagers for the early prices.......they have the abilty and the commercial strength to employ any number of experts to mark their cards.........it will be a failure by Sky if they abandon greyhound racing instead of expanding the opportunities within the sport..........
Report DONEMYLOT November 15, 2012 2:25 PM GMT
fair play, hence getting BH involved.

Fingers in many pies
Report wondersobright November 15, 2012 3:09 PM GMT

Nov 15, 2012 -- 8:08AM, Winja wrote:

sky are getting a full nights coverage for peanuts........they should sponsor and cover competitions and have sky bet stand decent wagers for the early prices.......they have the abilty and the commercial strength to employ any number of experts to mark their cards.........it will be a failure by Sky if they abandon greyhound racing instead of expanding the opportunities within the sport..........

fair play winja, you managed to get sky bet and decent wagers in the same sentence Laugh fat chance of that happening

Report DONEMYLOT November 15, 2012 3:10 PM GMT
Oh the bshit put out by the spokesmen is unbelievable. I also think that just putting up exchange prices up without the amount to be had is also very very wrong - RGPTV should do better than that. Putting up 2-1 board against 4.5 BF is bollx if the exchange is for 12 quid
Report irishone November 15, 2012 3:16 PM GMT
we had all this in the rp from JK a couple of weeks ago.... it begs an answer to the old age question "Why let the facts get in the way of a good story ?"
Report Addy_D November 15, 2012 4:39 PM GMT
DML the exchange price and whats available at that price changes god knows how many timer PER SECOND. any other way is impracticle unless you can suggest something? and on RPGTV cards, how often is there just 12 quid in the box, especially at 4.5 and prices lower? have to confess i dont watch it much other than the fridays at romford/any other time molly is on, as i dont have much interest in the graded but every time i see it there is money about for a bet and its rare you have to take unders?
Report deansthemann November 15, 2012 5:30 PM GMT
the games been in a coma for years... might as well turn the life support off
Report seanjames November 17, 2012 5:40 PM GMT
think sky would be "bigging" up next years dog derby coverage if they were renewing their coverage
Report seanjames November 17, 2012 5:42 PM GMT
they can stuff sky sports forever if they pull the plug
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK November 17, 2012 6:07 PM GMT
Having to pay for football cost them a huge chunk
+ that **** f1 tv must of cost big time too
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK November 17, 2012 6:12 PM GMT
I'm with the guy below if dogs go sky sports will go I don't watch horse racing any more ! that much anyway
Euro sport not watched that 10 years! Nfl not for me and football I can take it Or leave it
Report patrick starr November 17, 2012 6:23 PM GMT
same here,sky sports drop the dogs and i'm gone also
Report clayfield1 November 17, 2012 7:06 PM GMT
Me too, no dogs on no sky sports. will not be paying to watch football or f1
Report the beard November 19, 2012 5:42 PM GMT
could not give a monkeys one way or the other-theres no variation in the presentation its the same week in week out
Report Mustapha Bath November 19, 2012 6:03 PM GMT
I will be gutted if it stops but to be honest the people running the sport have ruined it, so many
False promises from Lipsey it's gone downhill ever since!!! The trade paper hasn't helped either.
Why should Sky show interest when the people running the game are totally clueless..
Totally unprofessional all round!!! Sad Sad
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK November 19, 2012 6:39 PM GMT
THE BEARD
u must hate RPGTV than
end of the day sky dogs is what it is I love it sky + it
and MOST OF ALL try and buy a winner it ain't going to win a ****g Grammy
Now is it ffs its about try to take the bookies money !!
Report the beard November 19, 2012 6:58 PM GMT
used to go greyhound racing 5 nights a week-never been one for watching it on TV-would not go racing now if there was a track over the road.No characters left cant get a bet and the standard of dogs is pretty desperate-games gone for me and never to return
Report sparrow November 19, 2012 7:06 PM GMT
I simply cannot understand how followers of the sport can say they are not bothered about the loss of Sky coverage. There is no doubt that it would be a disaster to lose the coverage.
Report the.mad.dog.man November 19, 2012 7:29 PM GMT
same as the beard the games up i fill so sorry for all the young trainers they are wasting there life at the end of the day they will finesh with no money
Report patrick starr November 19, 2012 7:35 PM GMT
here we go,the same old sour fcuks sl4gging the game and the dogs,fcuk off out of it and leave the rest of us who do enjoy it to enjoy it in peace if its that bad.
Report the beard November 19, 2012 7:37 PM GMT
sparrow-what does sky do for the sport-attendances on sky nights are non-existent-does sky encourage people to attend tracks-NO
Report the.mad.dog.man November 19, 2012 7:42 PM GMT
when me and ken used to go up and down the country we could get 5k on easy try get a monkey on now you would be lucky
Report the beard November 19, 2012 7:58 PM GMT
great days mick-all the characters it was the greatest game in the world
Report sparrow November 19, 2012 7:59 PM GMT
the beard, we live in a very different world now. People prefer other sports these days but that does not mean that the game should be left to die. We need to publicise the sport and Sky does the job well. I have been a fan since the early 60s and those days are gone but the sport can survive.
Report the.mad.dog.man November 19, 2012 8:06 PM GMT
the beard you still in lake district hows tommy the roofer getting on
Report the beard November 19, 2012 8:10 PM GMT
still up north-not spoke to him for a good while
Report DONEMYLOT November 20, 2012 8:11 AM GMT
Bf has ruined a lot of the atmosphere at the track. No question. Looks great on Sky with restaurants filled up at Rommers et al, but Harlow on a wet midweek simply isn't worth the bother.

As for the Sky coverage, again the important beings have missed such a trick, could easily exploit big TV jackpots etc, but it is, as the beard says, exactly the same every week. Where is the inspiration to get new viewers? There is nothing so you are left with the same people watching as do RPGTV and are on here.

There is potential but the authorities are so far behind where they need to be at present.

And I love the game
Report safari guide November 20, 2012 1:03 PM GMT
I would have to agree with Patrick Starr in that many of the old school on here appear so bitterly depressing about greyhound racing they would be better off taking up fishing so they could have something different to moan about.

Characters are around in every walk of life and from my experience those of the group involved in gambling are unable to produce a tax code but possess a level of charm which makes amusing company.  I am pretty sure their families are immune to their charm though having suffered the highs and lows of a gamblers existence and accordingly the future of the greyhound industry does not stand or fall because of the presence or absence of “characters”.

I would agree with various points in the replies above though concerning the presentation of the industry and the potential to take it to a higher level.
Report DroopysGregKinkysNap November 20, 2012 2:21 PM GMT
Bring the sport up to date, Make all data and live video and recordings available just like Horse Racing.Hang on we cant do that can we cos the GBGB sold the rights to the bookies for pennies!!

Free the grip of the sport from the bookies or stop moaning.

Only way you do that is stand up as owners and trainers etc etc. If the bookies pull bags money, who gives a toss, there are hundreds of sky channels available to put racing on and it costs two bob (Premier sports, Sports Live Tonight etc etc)

Unless people are going to out muppets thats destroy the sport nothing will change, and ffs dont think GOBATA will do eff all for the majority, all they did was look after "the elite" who strangely formed their committee when it started.

When David Miles and I and a few otehrs got the monmore protest going, Haynes sold us down the river.

Simples, stand up or shut up.
Report DONEMYLOT November 20, 2012 2:42 PM GMT
Do you remember the thread from last year, Kinky? basically the same ol' stuff again
Report yorky November 20, 2012 2:53 PM GMT
a lot of people i know watch it on sky no inclination to go to tracks, heres whats better to spend money on, big advertising truck in local town centre a few retired dogs, guy in big dog costume, dolly birds giving out free tickets to local track,advertise on big screen at pictures ,imagine impact of seeing action up there ,even invest in 3d trailer, leave free tickets in foyer ,sky waste of time imho
Report Do wah Diddy November 20, 2012 9:52 PM GMT
CROWN GREEN BOWLING WAS STILL ALIVE  AND KICKING WHEN IT HAD T V COVERAGE. THOSE IN CHARGE AND THEM

IN THE GAME LET THE GAME DOWN WITH NO PLANS AND T V DISSAPEARED AND SO ARE THE GREENS AND COMPETITIONS ,

T V IS A VERY VERY VERY BIG ADVERTISEING PLATFORM
Report DroopysGregKinkysNap November 21, 2012 1:24 AM GMT
Blah blah blah

Until you wrestle the control from the bookmakers you cannot change a thing. All you are doing is scrapping over crumbs OR helping yourself and screwing everyone else.

GOBATA could have made a difference if its SOLE aim was in going against the Heebeeheebees and the bookies and organising owners, trainers to take action in exchange for more money and rights for them using their dogs and just take take taking. They could have got themselves on the top table with a stake in the sport and negotiated data and media rights back to the right side of the table.

Its ok though as the "elite" trainers are alright... Wonder why the initial committee was loaded with these elite trainers? Stumped me.

Just refer back to this, until people stand up and say UP YOUR DIRTBOX to the bookies... the sport is fecked.

All the Barry Hearn, New Bets, Streaming Live, Dolly bird advertising has been discussed before, but when the books and promoters just bend you over and hold all the aces... it cant happen.
Report woodmanchester November 26, 2012 1:05 PM GMT
The word is Sky coverage is looking bad for next year Sad.

The good news is it means i'll probably be going racing more often Happy
Report woodmanchester November 27, 2012 9:31 AM GMT
This was a text ping-pong between my mate i about the plight of the sport.

Mate: When you said yesterday about getting out more often if there is no Sky coverage then i can see lots of competitions disappearing as who will sponsor them?

Game is on its knees, how long before the GRA sell off Vue, Hall Green, Barr and Wimbledon?
Report woodmanchester November 27, 2012 9:42 AM GMT
My reply: Yes, loss of Sky would be a bitter blow but we coped before its inception and may do so again, unless times have changed that badly?

Yes also, if GRA getting out, more housing areas, rats leaving a sinking ship?

Yes too, sponsors could be harder to find if not plugged on telly, but they would have a captive audience at the track.

I'm sure dog racing will survive but maybe back to the cloth cap and pipe days with less money in it. BAGS has always been greyhound racing's main-stay.

Was hoping dogs would have taken off, too much to ask like Football's Premiership but maybe it's the lack of promotion and interest that will be its ultimate demise.

Step in Holloway. He talks a good game, lets see if he can put it into action?!
Report lockup November 27, 2012 9:32 PM GMT
think this point could be debated forever, what we need is new blood in the sport new young owners and youngsters who want to go dog racing. Have part of a good dog myself and a couple of graders , good one has been on sky but would not sit at home to watch when you can get a real buzz at the track. I realise the sky races pay more but if we could get good size crowds spending money the tracks could put on some decent comps with good prize money and not totally rely on sky coverage still thinh Hills etc will sponser major events as the entry fee plus betting must make it viable.
Report Dav_vin03 December 28, 2012 3:24 AM GMT
what are the latest sky plans?
Report Stow_judge December 28, 2012 10:27 AM GMT
JK wrote in his 24 Dec column that the shows would be likely to continue, but not in the same format. He suggested that there might be mid 20s shows in 2013. In 2012 there were ca mid 30s shows. He said that Greyhound racing would produce a ready made product for Sky. (which would mean quite a few less in the team I would imagine) He also suggested that RPTV have expressed a willingness to cover some of the main events, if necessary.
I believe there have been talk to extend RPTV to include an additional day, which would probably be Wednesdays.
Report DONEMYLOT December 28, 2012 11:22 AM GMT
RPGTV is just fine. Like last night with a decent guest, amongst many that are - Id have PL as a permamant fixture. They  deserve more meetings and viewers.

Okay then, who of you would pay to get RGPTV 5 times a week? And how much would you pay?

I'd happily chip in 50 quid a month
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y December 28, 2012 11:32 AM GMT
I would if they altered the show (actually i would pay 50 quid a month regardless), stop reading out all those boring and inane e-mails and tweets, i don't care that so and so fancy every fav on the card or that so and so is waiting on the next odds on jolly for a 47 dog acca. I understand it's just done as a time filler (surely there is something better to pad it out) but it's a load of rubbish in my opinion.

No problem with any of the guests to be honest, they may not be everybodies cup of tea but you won't please everyone. Also some have to realise they are not tipsters (the vast majority anyway) and stop moaning when they don't put up winners, who cares do the work yourselves.
Report DONEMYLOT December 28, 2012 11:36 AM GMT
pf, fair point re emails but its 15 minutes to fill and sometimes its a toughie - you try it! lol

Could have a punter on from time to time, say presenter, 'expert' guest and punter and run a mini-comp.

The thing needs more money thrown at it but as a fledging product its less patronising than Sky, who probably cost a whole lot more to make

and they need armchairs not one stupid sofa
Report Dav_vin03 December 29, 2012 8:55 PM GMT
why cant ATR cover greyhound racing?
They have lost a few horse racing tracks and have a fair number of empty or 1 track days next year.

Its rumo0ured they are considering covering german racing to cover the gap.
They often turn to french racing if the UK meetings are cancelled.

Surely there is more demand for UK dogs, than german racing?
Report xmoneyx December 30, 2012 4:01 PM GMT
shawfield---scottish derby--without sky

they will ask punters for donations as they enter track

winner of comp wont know winnings until they dump cash/coins on table
Report wondersobright December 30, 2012 4:06 PM GMT
hopefully if they are cutting meetings they will be the ones that rpgtv are covering, e.g. coronation cup/champion stakes/essex vase at rommers, all england cup at brough, sunderland festival, sussex cup, etc they can also drop that drumbo race for me as well
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK January 7, 2013 11:09 AM GMT
Just seen on the sky sports news
That NBA coming to the channel
WTF what a load of **** that sport is
thought they where cutting back cos of the cost of footie and **** F1
my £90 mouth **** it I'm getting rid of it
I'm not Man U or blues or man city so won't miss it
NBA what a load of !! !
Report xmoneyx January 7, 2013 11:43 AM GMT
NBA---what time will the games be UK

I'm not into basketball at all

RPGTV is getting better every week an your dont need sky sports
Report xmoneyx January 7, 2013 11:43 AM GMT
NBA---what time will the games be UK

I'm not into basketball at all

RPGTV is getting better every week an your dont need sky sports
Report DONEMYLOT January 7, 2013 3:00 PM GMT
live fkng ping pong. I mean ffs, how is that more fun than the dogs?
Report TheMadGhost January 8, 2013 6:47 AM GMT
Oh No.  That means people will have to get up off their behinds and............GO DOG RACING!!!!!!

Anyone who knows me will know I am totally opposed to all TV coverage of this sport, (Sky, Racing Post and BAGS).  Get people in the front door, it's the only chance this game has of surviving.
Report wondersobright January 8, 2013 10:39 AM GMT
how can you say that? Shocked

the end of all TV coverage would be cancerous for dog racing, overall interest in any sport increases when it has a platform on TV and all but disappears when it hasn't
Report irishone January 8, 2013 11:10 AM GMT
TMG would not agree
still loads of people attending big soccer games even though televised live
if you make it a big enough spectacle people will go imho, even the darts is overdone but the place is packed
Report panda January 8, 2013 11:24 AM GMT
irish is right go back 10 years wouldnt even think about having a bet on the darts let alone go anywhere near it,now look at it prize money gone through the roof crowds are huge thousands matched on here and the players coming through is huge at least 20-30 good players couldnt say that 10 years ago
Report irishone January 8, 2013 11:33 AM GMT
cheltenham on t v every year .... place is stacked
wimbledon tennis on t v every year.... likewise

people will go if it is promoted right

there is a massive gap between spectator sport and participation sport imho and the more the gap is bridged by whatever means (sky, rpgtv,  sis comms, six packers etc) the more the cgance of the sport in general surviving
Report wondersobright January 8, 2013 11:56 AM GMT
ask yourself why darts has boomed - because sky got involved, tv coverage = money = better quality product
Report DONEMYLOT January 8, 2013 1:46 PM GMT
people do NOT relate to those in the sport. I went t'arrers and whilst there was a lot of moronic but good hearted banter, you felt as if most of the crowd were supporting one of the players.

You have to get people to follow the dogs, not just by trap number. Get to know the trainers, let them have their say. Horrible to say it but Hearn IS the only one g'teed to make it a booming success
Report xmoneyx January 9, 2013 9:10 PM GMT
It's about disposable income

You hav to make choices

Football
Dogs

Etc

With price of fuel
Report general custer January 11, 2013 10:56 PM GMT
sky viewers don't want greyhound racing
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK January 11, 2013 11:17 PM GMT
This £90 viewer does!!!
Report Clarence Worley January 11, 2013 11:29 PM GMT
RPGreyhounds‏@RPGreyhounds

Saturday's Racing Post: optimism rises about new Sky Sports deal Sunday's paper: John Coleman, unmissable three page special @Racing_Post
Report DONEMYLOT January 12, 2013 8:25 AM GMT
RPGTV was excellent last night - DM has a very dry humour that worked alongside JK and the nutter. JK clearly not at ease with some guests, but worked with Mullins well.

This programme is getting better and could be the one to do a great job.

Harry, get COv on the telly - it is the only way forward.
Report DONEMYLOT January 12, 2013 8:25 AM GMT
RPGTV was excellent last night - DM has a very dry humour that worked alongside JK and the nutter. JK clearly not at ease with some guests, but worked with Mullins well.

Report DONEMYLOT January 12, 2013 8:26 AM GMT

Report xmoneyx January 12, 2013 6:57 PM GMT
Nice treble DONEMYLOT
Report seanjames January 13, 2013 9:53 PM GMT
it probably will return on sky for the derby at least
Report woodmanchester January 14, 2013 7:07 AM GMT
I could be off the mark here but very little scheduled in the calender on the GBGB website (can only see Jan, Feb and still no set date for Derby?), so even if Sky was to continue, they would be unable to compile a list of competitions to be covered. You would think trainers have an up-to-date calendar though and the websites shortfall may just be down to a slow-motion period over Christmas.

Still, no smoke without fire. Seems Sky have been very quiet promoting greyhound coverage in 2013. Not sure what sports they think will draw in more viewers though. Isnt it still the 3rd biggest spectator sport in the country? Somebody should have the acumen to promote this
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com