Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Wessex
07 Jul 19 10:29
| Topic/replies: 249 | Blogger: Wessex's blog
I've just looked at the European Tour schedule as I was wondering where the Open de France was - consigned to the dustbin of October I see.

I then notice that after the Open, apart from claiming the Fedex St Jude as a European Tour tournament, there are no proper European Tour tournaments for 3 weeks in mid-summer.

I assume that this is driven by a belief that they should only pander to the stars and not have tournements clashing with the PGA tour but it is bonkers not to run tournaments when you would get crowds. If so, they might as well just hand the whole thing over to the PGA and let them run it as they would do a much better job, and we would be one step closer to a global sport being run on a global basis by a professional governing body.
Pause Switch to Standard View European Tour schedule
Show More
Report frames July 7, 2019 11:46 AM BST
A farce.Rolex events rule and the priority is to get a few supposed big names to play them.I nearly fell off my chair when they said Matt Wallace had recently gone to No.1 on the race to Dubai ,taking over from ???

Kevin fecking Kisner ,has he ever been to Europe bar The Open ?
Report xmoneyx July 7, 2019 1:17 PM BST
lemke reached - 9 during 3rd round

then apple crumbled

had him to win £600 top 8 ExcitedCry
Report xmoneyx July 7, 2019 1:41 PM BST
WRONG THREAD Blush
Report 1st time poster July 7, 2019 8:34 PM BST
wentworth bmw europes flagship event been consigned to October as well hasn't it,fav event over may bank hoiliday
Report frames July 22, 2019 8:28 AM BST
We reach the height of summer ,kids have broken up  and the Euro tour has no event for 3 weeks before they go over to that biggie, the Czech Masters.I'd say it's a complete shambles , Pell would tell me look at the huge pots they are playing for in November.
The French Open towards the end of October,the BMW mid September,a shambles.
The lower end pro's must be on their ar#se's,at least the expenses are down.
Report frames July 22, 2019 8:29 AM BST
Mostly repeating what Wessex said weeks ago.
Report Total Bosman July 22, 2019 11:55 AM BST
Don't forget though the WGC is a European Tour event too, for the small handful of Euro Tour players who sneak in.  Still, another great chance for European Tour stalwart Kevin Kisner to rack up those Race to Dubai points.
Report sewter lives again July 22, 2019 12:19 PM BST
I agree with comments made the European tour is becoming a joke-I would have loved to have the Wales open at Celtic Manor (or Porthcawl??) this week following on from a hugely successful Open and would have gone all 4 days. As has been said kids off and probably decent weather. Surely a proportion of the pros would have stayed on for a UK tournament??

One thing for sure is they will have the prayer mats out big time for the weather in their BIG tournaments in the fall (pun intended)
Can see a couple of Monday/54 hole finishes coming up.
Report Total Bosman July 22, 2019 12:24 PM BST
We can only be 2 or 3 years away from a total rebrand to World Tour or suchlike, it's not a European Tour and hasn't been for a long time.  Only interested in visiting countries with appalling human rights records these days.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 22, 2019 4:05 PM BST
The next Major is nine months away
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 23, 2019 11:58 PM BST
Jack Nicklaus: “I Don’t Like The New Major Schedule”

The Golden Bear is one of many high profile names who thinks that the new Major schedule is too compacted.

The Open Championship marked the final Major of the year after a new schedule being introduced for 2019.
The FedEx Cup Playoffs were reduced from four events to three and moved slightly forward so the PGA Tour season would be done-and-dusted by the time the NFL season gets underway.
The main change for the year was that the USPGA Championship moved to May so the Masters, USPGA, US Open and Open all took place within three-and-a-half months.
The Major season went by quickly and some high profile names have criticised it.

“I don’t like the new Major schedule, from the stand point that if you have an injury, or if you’re struggling with one tournament, all of a sudden the other one follows too closely, to get it back,” 18-time Major winner Jack Nicklaus told BBC Radio 5 Live.

“I’m not sure that that’s really a good thing for the game of golf, to have all your tournaments in about three and a half months. And I don’t think it’s good for the other tournaments on the Tour. “The guys have got to skip a lot of tournaments – you saw that this year – guys weren’t playing in between Majors. And I think that’s a shame for the Tour.
“I know that the all-mighty dollar is important, but I don’t think it’s so important that you really lose out on the tradition of the great tournaments that have been played for years and years and years.”

Former World Number One Justin Rose has also been critical of the new schedule.
“It’s too condensed,” he said at The Open.
Read more at https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/tour-news/jack-nicklaus-i-dont-like-the-...
Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 23, 2019 11:59 PM BST
“As a professional in terms of trying to peak for something, the process that’s involved in trying to do that can be detailed and it can be longer than a month.
“I think it’s pretty much driven by FedExCup, wanting to finish on a certain date, everything else having to fit in where it can. “For me, a Major championship should be the things that are protected the most. That’s how all of our careers ultimately are going to be measured. “Thirty, 40 years ago there wasn’t a FedExCup so if you’re trying to compare one career to another career, Jack versus Tiger, it’s the majors that are the benchmarks. “For them to be tweaked so much I think is quite interesting at this point.”
Open Championship runner-up Tommy Fleetwood described the new schedule as “tough.”

“The schedule has been tough this year,” he said. “And I think part of that, if you’re not playing great you actually don’t have time this year to develop your game because you don’t have that time to take periods off, really. “You’re constantly playing and you always have to turn up and perform with the way that it goes.”
Read more at https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/tour-news/jack-nicklaus-i-dont-like-the-... . Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 24, 2019 10:10 AM BST
This week.....
Jul 25 Jul 28 USA WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational TPC Southwind, Memphis, Tennessee, USA. Purse $10,250,000

THE NEXT 5 EUROPEN TOUR EVENTS......

Aug 15 Aug 18 CZE D+D Real Czech Masters Albatross Golf Resort, Prague, Czech Republic. €1,000,000
Aug 22 Aug 25 SWE Scandinavian Invitation Hills Golf & Sports Club, Gothenburg, Sweden. €1,500,000
Aug 29 Sep 01 SUI Omega European Masters Crans-sur-Sierre GC, Crans Montana, Switzerland. €2,500,000
Sep 05 Sep 08 GER Porsche European Open Green Eagle Golf Courses, Hamburg, Germany. €2,000,000
Sep 12 Sep 15 NED KLM Open The International, Amsterdam, Netherlands. €2,000,000
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 24, 2019 10:11 AM BST
*European
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 25, 2019 8:08 PM BST
amazing in the height of summer their is no event on mainland europe not even on the challenge tour this week!

I guess it comes down to money/ sponsors. The tour has never really recovered from the financial crash in 08. Back in the day there would be fiver or six events in spain alone. You would have thought following the open an event in England/ Wales/ Northern Ireland over the next couple of weeks would have attracted a decent level of support from spectators. The WGC event all the way to the US is ridiculous can't imagine a more anticlimatic wgc event why not have in the UK - again probably money.

The tour seem to be having a medium number of big events - the rolex series with their 7 million prize funds but even those seem to be failing to attract strong fields. The race to dubai is also a joke with the main front runners all players who picked up money in wgc events and majors. On the PGA tour all regular event have the same value in terms of fedex cup points. In europe the prize funds vary so greatly it is very difficult for a rookie making his way on tour to even keep his card unless he has a great season.

Personally I think they should concentrate on being what they are a second tier tour one which is able to develop the next generation of top europeans. Have a more equal points system and then have bigger prizes on the line at the end. With the PGA tour having a new schedule their is a window of opportunity in september to november period however I can't imagine many americans coming over to play.

As for a world tour their already is one - The PGA Tour its where all the best go to play. Hard to see what the PGA would have to benefit by moving events around the world. The rest of the world struggle to get the money together to event host a wgc event.
Report Total Bosman July 25, 2019 10:06 PM BST
Watching this it just feels off that Fedex have basically bought the WGC title for their local run of the mill event.  Especially when the "World" Golf Championships doesn't have an event in Europe at all.  But just no money about in Europe for big events it seems.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 17, 2019 8:08 AM BST
And the Open de France next July is also an “opposite” event to a WGC in the US Devil
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com