Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
therhino
29 Aug 18 08:04
| Topic/replies: 21,562 | Blogger: therhino's blog
To avoid what happened last year where the Fedex winner and Tour Championship winner were different people, next year they want the leader heading in to East Lake to start the tournament on -10, with people handicapped all the way down to no. 30 who will start on even par. winner then wins the Fedex Cup.

What do y'all think of this? Very strange imo, and the fact it will still count as a tour win is ludicrous. Is it really a problem that there can be a different guy holding the Tour Championship trophy to the Fedex?
Pause Switch to Standard View Tour Championship changes - 2019
Show More
Report trebor August 29, 2018 9:10 AM BST
Are you sure you are not looking at a 5 month old story??
Report therhino August 29, 2018 9:36 AM BST
Am I? I might be. I only read about it today.
Report therhino August 29, 2018 9:37 AM BST
Nope just checked. This broke this week. Are you talking about the schedule change?
Report trebor August 29, 2018 10:35 AM BST
No I was referring to it would not be out of place if it was announced on April 1st.
Report eight ball August 29, 2018 11:00 AM BST
It is as Rhino reported.Several reasons and most will disagree but before casting dispersion.I have mentioned before that the World of Sport is no longer the same and no longer how most want it to stay the same.That doesn't mean I agree but I have learnt, adapt to change as quickly as you can in order to evolve and survive,in all ways.
So
The changes (of course) will always be sponsor return motivated,regardless of what you get told.yep $$
Dropping 1 tourny in the play-off series but increasing the Payoff from $10 mill to $15 mill.
Again taking away with 1 hand and giving back with the other hand.
Report eight ball August 29, 2018 11:25 AM BST
Just a footnote
Sponsor motivated meaning RATINGS which in this era is everything to any media network as is to any sponsor.
Tiger has proven that time and time again.should he win again, the DJIA will rise on the opening bell.
Report therhino August 29, 2018 12:04 PM BST

Aug 29, 2018 -- 4:35AM, trebor wrote:

No I was referring to it would not be out of place if it was announced on April 1st.

Roger that!

Report therhino August 29, 2018 12:08 PM BST
No appeal to tradition on my part 8b. Not referring to the lost tourney either, that's no issue. This people starting a tourney on different scores thing has me stuffed though.
Report eight ball August 29, 2018 12:52 PM BST
yeah i'm hearing you rhino.to listen in on the decision makers thoughts I admit to shaking the head but they seem to blindside tradition for the sake of future ratings/prospective sponsors/future media telecasts etc,etc.
As you know the new generations aren't the ones they are trying to hook into.Their mentality is get the 8-10 year olds NOW that way we got'em for the next 15 years.Sadly hook'em in is what the sponsors etc want now.
The small subliminal changes that happen each year(rules of Golf) are made to supposed keep the game interesting as well as using blunt reason.
I also worry that every year any increase with this or that prize-money is going to reach a peak. . that can't be sustained and that might have huge repercussions.
Report therhino August 29, 2018 3:44 PM BST
You think convoluting scores once a year is a hook for 8-10 year olds?
Report eight ball August 30, 2018 3:17 AM BST
lol,
Remember the ceo of Oz Telco announcing to shareholders the Market for 10 year old's is 'White Hot'.
I think a bunch of over paid psychoanalysists have told whoever that the attention span is decreasing(younger people) so unless you can provide gratification at a faster rate then your going to lose their interest;unless you can clone 16 Tiger Woods.Tomorrows Golfers want to stream-line the hard yards,they want success at a younger age,they won't cope with been told its going to take a lot of hard work(years).
Perhaps the 'Tour' is concerned that if some guy has something sewn up with 4 full days of Golf to be played,then maybe  ratings might drop dunno their thinking but yes starting some guy off a Handicap prior to teeing it up smells of 'changing the Format to suit someone/thing'.
Report eight ball August 30, 2018 7:57 AM BST
Rhino
just a quick brief,it's not done and dusted(new format)some players are saying well if he's the leader then he must have played the best so yeah let him start -10 under,then some other players are saying I gotta chase down a 10 shot margin before the 1st round,'gimme a break'
I still suggests it's all to camouflage the bigger picture which is slowly been leaked out, they don't want to have to fight for ratings with the College Football season and NFL opening.

It's always about the $$$.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 30, 2018 12:40 PM BST
Have to say this is one of the dafter ideas i have heard suggested. I suspect it has been leaked because someone knows /thinks it is bollocks

I would have thought it actually adds to the drama the fact that another players position can affect the overall outcome.

It isnt rocket science to realise there are two competitions and who is leading each - i dont get the confusion. When Phil won the tour champ and Tiger won the fed ex cup i dont remember much fuss.
Report Total Bosman September 1, 2018 1:39 PM BST
I actually really like this idea, thought for a while they should do something like that.  It's not really hugely different because the lowest few guys in Fedex points already have very little chance of winning the Fedex even if they win the tournament.  End of the day it makes more sense for the winner of the tournament to be the winner of the overall prize - after all the tournament is named the Tour Championship, so shouldn't the Fedex Cup be awarded to the champion of the tour, when that's what it's all about.  Otherwise the Tour Champion is a pretty meaningless title.  I hope they give this a go and see how it works out.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com