Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
charwell.
11 Aug 14 18:59
| Topic/replies: 8,515 | Blogger: charwell.'s blog
The course was superb, plenty of risk/reward holes. The big names at the top like it should be and a final day with plenty of drama. Not often I enjoy a major when I haven't won any money, let alone one won with such low scoring as I prefer attritional US Open type majors.

Fair play to Mclroy, looked toast at the turn. Added Stenson in my list of chokers to avoid. Thinking Fowler will be a good back to lay for many tourneys to come as well.

chokers list:

Westwood
Furyk
Stenson
Fowler
Pause Switch to Standard View Best major for as long as I can remember
Show More
Report sandsave August 11, 2014 7:05 PM BST
How can Stenson be called a choker? LaughLaugh
The other 3 maybe.
Report dlarssonf August 11, 2014 7:09 PM BST
I actually think Stenson is a bit, he certainly isn't comfortable in the lead
Report Ski-Wiz August 11, 2014 7:21 PM BST
Is this for real? Stenson, Furyk (Mickleson too) got -5 on the final day and you called them choker???? whereas Rory got -3.

The word choker has been over used and thrown around willy nilly.
Report MC Roller August 11, 2014 7:22 PM BST
Fantastic entertainment, thought the crowd were superb, great atmosphere. Fowler will definitely win a major, it's just taking a little longer than expected.
Report charwell. August 11, 2014 8:01 PM BST
Stensons shots at the finish tell me he is a choker. For all his talent how many majors has he won?? Oh yeah, a big fat duck egg - despite being in contention plenty of times!
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 11, 2014 8:06 PM BST
Stenson, Mickleson and Fowler will have all woken up this morning thinking they should have won.

Fowler is on an upward curve he struggled in the heat of battle but has time on his side. For Phil you wonder how many more chances he will get. The one who must be most gutted for me is Stenson was very disappointed in his back nine performance.
Report Puggy4 August 11, 2014 8:07 PM BST
Have to agree regarding the overuse of the word choker...if you do not win you are called a choker as if no-one should ever hit a bad shot. As Ski mentioned Michelson, Furyk and Stenson scored -5.  Its like if someone scored 41 points for Captains/Presidents prize and was beaten by 42 points would he\she be lambasted and called a choker ans treated with scorn bordering on contempt?
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 11, 2014 9:22 PM BST
stenson was 5 under thru 9

he left a great chance short, missed a few greens and scrambled well, shanked one on 17 and hit a big pull on 18
Report megdog1 August 11, 2014 9:43 PM BST
I find it astonishing that you can think of calling Stenson a 'choker', it was only last year he won 3 top events in the Deutsche Bank Championship (22 under to win by 6), PGA Tour Championship (13 under to win by 3), and the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai (25 under to win by 6)
Not much of a 'choke' in those tournaments, and do we now call Rory a 'choker' because he blew the tournament lead with an 80 on the back 9 of the 2011 US Masters?
Report vegasdreams August 11, 2014 10:13 PM BST
flogging a dead horse if u think u are gunna get anyone on here, to accept that it's not always choking!!
for some reason esp in majors, if someone shoots a good front nine it is expected that they will shoot a good back nine?!?
where the truth is,AT ANY POINT IN ANY TOURNAMENT WITH ANY PLAYER - the likelihood is they will shoot a average at best back nine, we have all seen a few hundred times this season no doubt people 5-6 under thru 9 but how many 59s and 60s have u seen???
Report trebor August 11, 2014 10:17 PM BST
It is not a case of if you don't win you must have choked, the winner can choke as well, maybe it is that we all have different views of what choking means? for me it is when the pressure causes you to not be able to perform to your normal standard, but they can still get over the line sometimes.

We have rankings for driving, greens in regulation, putting, there are hundreds of stats these days, players are ranked from 1 down in each stat, how a player preforms under pressure should be no different. Who is the better driver? we look at the rankings, but to say a this top pro is worse under pressure than another top pro when they have both won loads of tournaments seems unthinkable to some people?

I have said before how a player reacts to pressure is the only thing that really matters to me, rankings for how a player drives, hits greens, scrambles etc might well find you your contenders for the week, but let them sleep on a 54 hole lead and they often wake up a different player on Sunday.

I think Mighty Whites summing up of Stenson is perfect, plus he missed a very short putt on the back nine as well, and as for Rory's 80, I think it is fairly obvious.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 11, 2014 10:19 PM BST
i agree the phrase choker is over used but last night fowler, mickleson and stenson all missed shots at crucial times. Fowler's t shot on the par 3 and his drive on 17 were miles off line. Surely the pressure had a affect. As for stenson how many times did he miss the green on the back nine and the last two holes were shocking.

Rory came through strong when it mattered.
Report vegasdreams August 11, 2014 10:23 PM BST
tbh on this occasion I actually agree fowler did get edgy u could see it, but young and handling it better each time not a big issue imo - stenson , quite honestly they showed no where near enuff of him for me to make any sort of call.
westwood and furyk irrelevant as they never had a change , they knew that I highly doubt either were affected yesterday.
Report vegasdreams August 11, 2014 10:24 PM BST
change = chance*
Report vegasdreams August 11, 2014 10:34 PM BST
looking tho - stenson shot five under front and level back( 1 birdie 1 bogey) on 99% of occasions u would be saying great round, as I say above, 61s 62s 63s even 64 n 5s are not common place, could it not be that's just how it played out, the chances fell on the front?
but as I say I saw very little of him so don't know, but if he did miss a few putts say - was he choking the two shots beforehand that got him there??
Report vegasdreams August 11, 2014 10:40 PM BST
see I see choking more like what weisberger did - just off all day, visibly less confident and consistently hits inconsistent  shots for the day.
not an odd bad shot at an inopportune moment
Report trebor August 11, 2014 10:45 PM BST
The shot before the putt he left woefully short nearly went in the water, he looked skywards and gave a little prayer that it did not take another hop forward before spinning back.
Vegas if you have a really good front 9 do you not find the tension growing?
Report Busvaldo August 11, 2014 10:52 PM BST
Smashed,just got in,had a Leo Sayer,Rory is the Daddy.
Report vegasdreams August 11, 2014 10:55 PM BST
I absolutely do, bleedin goosebumps at times! but that's not choking, that's just human nature, how you handle it is important, but they have been there done that and proven that's not an issue by being a pro golfer, the point is every bad shot on the back 9 is picked off and put down to choking, why do they choke on "that tee" then 2 holes later "that" put, 1 more hole then "that iron shot".
if your nervous your nervous and it will show thruout your whole game, with the exceptions of the - absolute 18th last putt to win it circumstance, the very last of something is a breed of it's own.
Report trebor August 11, 2014 11:10 PM BST
Agreed feeling nerves is not choking but it brings it on, I can agree that when a pro has been there and done that they can learn to handle it better, but they will never completely beat it.

As for why choke on one shot and not every shot? bit like a ticking timebomb I would say, why do snooker players miss frame ball when they just potted some far harder balls?  what about a penalty in football, in both those examples as in golf you have time to think "what if", it gets harder the longer it goes on is my view.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 11, 2014 11:14 PM BST
there is a difference between being the chaser and then the chased. All 3 stalled when they got in to the lead.
Report trebor August 11, 2014 11:16 PM BST
True, but you can add Rory to the list making 4
Report Busvaldo August 11, 2014 11:17 PM BST
Eagle on 10 sealed it.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 11, 2014 11:19 PM BST
agree to an extent trebor but he finished strongly when he got back in contention.
Report vegasdreams August 11, 2014 11:20 PM BST
everything said is valid in it's own way, trebor is right in the fact it's all how u interpret choker, I think I may have to just relax to the word choker!!
but I know how they really mean it!! AngryAngryAngryHmm this relaxing may take a while GrinGrinGrin
Report sideshowbob August 11, 2014 11:23 PM BST
its about degrees, all of em choked a little bit even rory. they all played worse than they had been doing at various points. rory pretty much all day, the other 3 when they hit the lead. stenson didnt give me any confidence he could close it out when he hit the front. the other did, but they just didnt hold it together.

you could see phil getting giddy over the last few holes when he thought he was gonna win it. i bet he knows he threw it away.

ricky its hard to say cos he makes mistakes often anyway, hes one of those players who is always in the mix but never likely to run away with it cos of those mistakes.

rory gets angry with himself when he makes mistakes and that was creeping in a little bit, but hes in a different place mentally these days and copes with it better.

stenson i dunno, he just didnt look like he had any confidence in closing the deal. not convinced he'll ever win one after seeing that.
Report trebor August 11, 2014 11:23 PM BST
yes it was a fantastic finish, but while he had the lead to protect he did the same as Sergio and Jim the two previous tournaments, it is just so tuff to play the same way as when you are chasing, all in the mind though.
Report sideshowbob August 11, 2014 11:25 PM BST
obviously the fact they all had 3 other top class golfers breathing down their necks made it a lot harder for all of them to keep calm. it was crazy stuff on the back 9, like a boxing match not a golf tournament! all of em trying to get a big punch in.
Report Busvaldo August 11, 2014 11:27 PM BST
Big players and Big moments,that is the difference.
Report trebor August 11, 2014 11:29 PM BST
Vegas if we change the word choker to off day that might end this thread. I agree choker seems a harsh word and might be the reason for different views on here, the players and caddies have awards for the best (or maybe it's the worst) choke of the season.
Report vegasdreams August 11, 2014 11:35 PM BST
lol, suppose there a few countries represented on here aswell and just the treatment of the word could be different, it could be choke is the "nicer"  or more jokingly way of putting it - who knows?!?
Report irishro August 11, 2014 11:56 PM BST
In relation to the original posters comment about best major in a long time, I agree it was excellent but it still had a long way to go to match Scwhartzel's Masters. If you want a reminder of how epic that was this article is well worth a read....

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/best-sunday-ever-2011-masters
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com