Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Tom
21 Feb 14 15:04
| Topic/replies: 224 | Blogger: Tom's blog
Please can we start a petition to remove this absolute cretin from our golf coverage. We have had to put up with his absolute drivel for years. Yesterday was classic BC within the space of two mins we had the following;

Hideki Maruyama
Jonathan Spieth
Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory

Just adds absolutely nothing to the coverage. Does not have the Alliss charm to get away with such a lack of knowledge. Robert Lee a considerably better commentator.
Pause Switch to Standard View Bruce Critchley
Show More
Report simply perfect February 21, 2014 3:14 PM GMT
Rob Lee is probably my favourite sports commentator of any kind now. Guy is a breath of fresh air.
Report maggot February 21, 2014 3:31 PM GMT
I don't normally like to have a go at the comms, but I have to agree with Tom.

Critchley has been calling Spieth, Jonathan, for months. It's just embarrassing.

A few times last night he stated that certain players had never been down in their matches, which every time was incorrect.

I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my Sky sports subs. The coverage last night was diabolical. I would guess that every hour of coverage consisted of 15% golf, 25% interviews, 10% stills of a fekin cactus, and 50% adverts. They go for a fekin advert break every 5 minutes. That is not what I pay for.

I've been with Sky since the beginnings, primarily for golf, footie, and cricket.

The footie is moving to BT, and I am more than happy to listen to that and the cricket on radio.

The golf is just no longer any fun to watch. I made a fool of myself last night by screaming at the television every time they went for an advert break.

That's no way to behave.
Report twizzle22 February 21, 2014 3:36 PM GMT
MAGGOTLaugh
Report El Guerrouj February 21, 2014 3:47 PM GMT
The coverage and ad breaks are frustrating alright but it's because their coverage is coming from the Golf Channel. I was watching a golf channel link online the last two nights and the amount of breaks they take is frightening. Sky probably take a break every 2nd time golf channel do and put filler in the other times (interviews, swing analysis etc). In saying that the Golf Channel seemed to be showing more shots overall than Sky and were definitely way ahead time wise on all matches.
Report maggot February 21, 2014 4:00 PM GMT
Yes. El Guerrouj.

I appreciate that Sky have to go with the American feed, but that doesn't alter the fact that watching golf on tele is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime, and it just isn't anymore.

The amount of advertising has increased no end.

Do they really think that ramming Fred Couples, and Lee Trevino down my throat twenty times an hour is going to make me go out and buy a box of Bridgestone fekin golf balls ??
Report El Guerrouj February 21, 2014 4:46 PM GMT
I think the tip of the iceberg came a few weeks ago in the AT+T pro am when they started 'analysing' JP McManus' swing in the studio. Do they really think anyone watching at home gives a f**k about what JP needs to do to improve his swing!!?
Report sandsave February 21, 2014 4:56 PM GMT
It's the half hour change over at weekends that gets me. Sometimes even longer if college basketball or whatever takes precedence. Sky have gleefully recently announced rights to golf until god knows when. I hope things will not continue the same for years to come Angry
Report FatherMaguire February 21, 2014 5:47 PM GMT
the saturation of adverts increases the less matches are out - I love this tournament but will be taping this and starting watching 2 hrs behind just for the ease of fast forwarding the ads - not getting involved to any major extent so no need to be up to date for betting etc
Report aberdonia February 21, 2014 6:24 PM GMT
Much prefer listening to PGA Tour Radio.   Started already and in the early parts of rounds is miles in front of SKY/Golf Channel
Report the bloob February 21, 2014 11:25 PM GMT
Critchley is a toff who has probably never done a proper days work in his life. It's amazing how far you can get by being posh and having good contacts
Report throwthetellyoutawindow February 22, 2014 8:17 AM GMT
Love the comm of Beddow and Johnstone, Tony particularly tells it as it is and Steve Beddow great voice for the job unlike Critchley who grates and the sycophantic babblings of Ewen Murray.
Report dave1357 February 22, 2014 10:55 AM GMT
yeah critchley has all allis's senility with none of the charisma
Report trebor February 22, 2014 12:22 PM GMT
Guess this thread shows how we all take to some commentators and dislike others, after 12+ years of listening to them every week I still could not tell Critchley or Beddow apart, is it just one of them that tells us everytime we have Monty playing a shot to the green how wonderful his distance control is, or how McGinley never seems to hole his fair share of putts?
Some like Alliss, yes he was very good once, but he is well past his sell by date now, if a commentator does not realise that Mickelsons putt was to win the Masters then I think that should be a clue to him that its time to go. I fear he is soon going to say something inappropriate and be gone anyway.
I have taken to Johnstone a bit more recently, I was told how he and his roommate had a practice session one evening between rounds in Portugal, they had a contest hitting pitch shots from their hotel room into a bucket left hanging on the scaffolding of a hotel being built the other side of the road.
Howard Clark must be the king of 'calling' it wrong, "this is looking good" as it lands in the lake! and Boxall should be left on the course where he is far better than in the commentary box, although trying to work out why Lee had 337 stamped on his golf ball was quite funny. But I don't ever want to be told who won the 1990 Italian Open ever again thank you.
Which brings me on to PGA Tour radio aaaarrrgghhhhh!! I can't stand it, but have to have it on of course, The guy who's one win was the Chitty Chitty  Bang Bang Classic, you know that big event that was played the same week as The Open one year, I am afraid he is my least favourite commentator of all, cant stand the comments like "he's put it in amongst the humans" or " the blinker never came on" and it seems he believes that if you are not American you can not really be any good at all?
And they basically just lie to you, things like "ooh the hole spits that one out" well sorry but on the tv it never touched the hole, and Mark Immelman's judgement of distance?? "he's hit it to inside 14ft" well of course its inside 14ft its about 4 blinking foot when you see it on the box! I swear he is not going to catch me with his "inside 14ft" ever again :-(
I am sure many wont agree with me, but my 3 favourite commentators would be Ewen Murray, very knowledgeable, then Nick Faldo for the same reason, although his first year or so when he tried to be funny all the time where terrible, and not so surprisingly Robert Lee.
But after so many years on here I suppose it would be hard for any commentator not to get on every one else's nerves, just like all of you who post on here :-)
Report bigH February 22, 2014 5:48 PM GMT
when Critchley comes on, my telly starts smelling of wee
Report Total Bosman February 22, 2014 6:10 PM GMT
Trebor - were you listening to the radio when Paulson started going on about how Arizona was his favourite state because you didn't need a license for a concealed weapon?  I nearly smashed my computer screen.  And one of them (Fred Albers I think) just seems to treat any foreign name as a bunch of random consonants and vowels (Gonzalez Fernando Canseco, yeah, that'll do), if he gets the first letter right he considers it job done.

But yeah, no-one's worse than Critchley.  Not even Gary McCord.
Report terry mccann February 22, 2014 9:11 PM GMT
how very dare you,he"s served his country and made the rank of major and all you lot do is call him a ****,vv cruel!
Report terry mccann February 22, 2014 9:12 PM GMT
mcCord is a legend by the way,you just dont get him
Report the bloob February 22, 2014 10:18 PM GMT
I agree with you on McCord, I hated him at first but he's really won me over
Report sickoflayinwinners February 22, 2014 10:34 PM GMT
I also like tony johnstone altho radar rileys better still , and going against the grain I also like feherty
Report trebor February 23, 2014 12:01 AM GMT
TB..I sort of half heard it, missed the first bit, I am always missing the name of the player who is hitting the shot its frustrating that can't rewind it like the TV
Report Total Bosman February 23, 2014 3:28 PM GMT
He just did it again!  How hard can it be to say Jordan?  He's only one of the most talked about players in golf right now.
Report 1st time poster February 23, 2014 8:19 PM GMT
1st contribution, this isnt going to be half,
unlucky yes it is, LaughLaugh
Report STUDYFORM February 24, 2014 1:54 PM GMT
Its a toss-up for me between Critchley and Murray (The Derek Thompson of golf, for me). I'd get both of them and McCord and tie them all to the 150 yard post at a driving range where they could watch as many golf balls as they want, and not tell me their thoughts on them.
Report throwthetellyoutawindow February 24, 2014 4:07 PM GMT
Stick Mark Roe in there too will ya LaughLaugh
Report Injera February 24, 2014 5:33 PM GMT
How Roe with such an unfortunate voice gets a job in broadcasting is one of life's mysteries.

On commentary he makes me feel more suicidal than normal...
Report bigH February 24, 2014 11:00 PM GMT
anyone else think Roe looks like Lord Percy?
Report trebor February 25, 2014 8:30 AM GMT
The way Roe smiles into the camera when he teams up with Livingstone to close a outside broadcast always reminds me of this add,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4BBqJaS5fs
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com