Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mexicano
07 Jul 13 20:04
| Topic/replies: 11,616 | Blogger: mexicano's blog
Carne links.

absolutely fantastic.

and very reasonable rates.

just got back from our third trip there.

and i promise you, it gets better and better.
Pause Switch to Standard View If you ever go across the sea to...
Show More
Report glory hornet July 7, 2013 8:14 PM BST
And then travel across to Dublin and play here 40e , an absolute steal, for the best golf course I have ever played

http://www.palmerstownhouse.com/golf.aspx
Report mexicano July 7, 2013 8:26 PM BST
you don't need to travel that far.just mooch across to enniscrone, then pop up to ross's point.

proper golf trip.
Report oneputt July 7, 2013 8:51 PM BST
Love enniscrone
Report Can't Catch Me July 7, 2013 9:01 PM BST
And Murvagh!

I've played a lot in Ireland, and particularly this area....really loved this trip. but still think Ballyliffin is the one. Two great course there and Rosapenna and Porsalon within 45 mins. Unbeatable trip for me.
Report Scotsirish July 7, 2013 9:07 PM BST
Another course all should visit is Waterville Links., Co Kerry on North Atlantic coast.
Absolute gem of a links which just winds through the dunes. Tiger, Duval and O'Meara are all members, visiting for their pre Open practice.
Report Can't Catch Me July 7, 2013 9:11 PM BST
Yes amazing course. Reckon it would make my top 5 in Ireland. Tralee still my number one Happy
Report Scotsirish July 7, 2013 9:16 PM BST
Yeah we discovered it by chance as our game at Ring of Kerry was off due to wet weather. Drove for a hour down peninsula  for something to do luckily we had clubs in boot, waterproofs over the jeans mind you.
Parkinsilla not far  either. We played Ring of Kerry next day not bad  but the views were unbelievable.
Recommend that are for a golfing trip.
Report Scotsirish July 7, 2013 9:17 PM BST
,are,  should be area.
Report bigH July 7, 2013 9:19 PM BST
did  Carne, Enniscrone and Rosses Point on a trip a few years ago.

Absolutely brilliant - highly recommended
Report Can't Catch Me July 7, 2013 10:06 PM BST
We stayed in Kenmare and went from there Scotsirish. That's a lovely town. Agree about the views from The Ring of Kerry. Thought the course was just Ok though.
Report mexicano July 7, 2013 10:10 PM BST
waterville,ballybunion,tralee,doonbeg, lahinch. all fantastic courses.

but very pricey.
[about 200 euro for a day at ballybunion now i believe.]

the thing is about those in mayo/sligo, is that the three wont come to much more than 150.

stay in ballina, at the downhill house, they'll arrange the lot for you.

not teeming with americans.

proper irish golf, at reasonable prices
Report mexicano July 7, 2013 10:16 PM BST
ballyliffen , and the others up in donegal are good value too, bit of a slap from derry airport, but proper golf courses.

but for those of you who wouldn't consider the mid west.

fly to knock.

golf at enniscrone/rosses point first day.stay in ballina

carne second day.

enniscrone/roses point third day.

back to the airport.

in and out three days.

not overly expensive.

great time.
Report Scotsirish July 7, 2013 10:24 PM BST
Stayed in Kenmare too, Cant Catch Me. Yeah ring of Kerry not the best course. Funny thing was when we played it we were the only ones there the whole round, never saw another sinner the whole day apart from a green keeper a hole in front working away the whole round.
Mexicano, I've played Rosses Point too, Good course. On the way home next day played Castle Dargan, a Darren Clarke designed course just outside Sligo.iIt was quiet and the round only cost 35 euro, good value at that price, though wouldn't pay much more.
Report Can't Catch Me July 7, 2013 10:29 PM BST
It was empty when we were there too mate! Must be struggling. Had some great food in Kenmare, did you?

I was a bit disappointed with Rosses Point myself. We always do four courses per trip, and did there, Enniscrone, Murvagh and Lough Erne. Thought RP was probably the worst of the four. Still very good obviously, and in exalted company, but expected it to be the best of the four. Murvagh was the best and Lough Erne was much better than I thought it would be,
Report Can't Catch Me July 7, 2013 10:30 PM BST
Never got to Carne, but really fancy that.
Report Scotsirish July 7, 2013 10:41 PM BST
Found Kenmare a bit expensive though we had a good deal on hotel. Catering for the tourist I suppose. It is beautiful  part of the world never mind Ireland.
Rosses point I agree only good not great.
Lived in Ireland over 10 years and the choice of courses is great. Before the boom went bust it was a rip off but people still payed it. Now it's great value as they all fight for the business. Banks own a lot of the courses. You can get a game on the Ryder Cup cousrse at K Club for 50 euro now with breakfast thrown in at the weekend. 5 yrs ago 245 euro I paid ( a present) . Things have changed for the better.
Report Can't Catch Me July 7, 2013 10:44 PM BST
Deffo mate. I'm lucky enough to play all over the world with my job but Ireland is easily my favorite place for golf.

We are going to Carton House in a few weeks. Accommodation and breakfast and a round on each course on Sat /Sun for £160! Phenomenal value. As Mex mentioned, still a few of the bigger names charging daft money but its getting much better as you say.
Report Can't Catch Me July 7, 2013 10:46 PM BST
Anybody played Royal County Down? That's number one on my wish list.
Report Scotsirish July 7, 2013 10:49 PM BST
That's a great deal, hope it include buggies O'Meara course a hell of a walk. You get a bus to the first tee from clubhouse if your walking it.great practice area too, enjoy
Report Can't Catch Me July 7, 2013 10:51 PM BST
Don't think it does! Fortunately playing that first so will be fresh Grin

You played both courses mate? How do you rate them? Looked great in the Irish Open last week.
Report Scotsirish July 7, 2013 11:04 PM BST
O'Meara is the easier I'm told only played that one. It's good without being great.
Was due to play montys earlier in year as a freebie but was frosted off,still to be rearranged. It is known as being more difficult.
Yeah it looked good last week typical Monty fairways and greens essential and avoid these bunkers,
It's agood set up there I must say
Report mexicano July 8, 2013 6:11 PM BST
royal co down, fantastic, as is portrush, but they're still at the top end pricewise, as the yanks still go there in their droves.

i can tell you how the prices have gone at the places that are being more realistic. it's not that long ago that we paid a 1000 euros a slot at old head, you can get on for about 80 a head now, i'm told.

those three in the midwest have always been at the realistic end of the price scale, and easy to get on.

i can see why some are not over impressed by their initial look at ross's point, to my mind it's a proper "old fashioned " hard test of links golf, and it grows on you, not as spectacular as some of the others, but imo it's is "hard but fair".

i've spoken to some re the decent deals at carton house and while most conceed that they were good value, nobody seems to have been "blown away" by the courses the way that we seem to be by some of the links on the atlantic coast.

the trip we did was the atlantic challenge, the three courses cost 120 euros which was amazing value, we got there a couple of days early ,played ballinrobe[would reccomend that to anybody] 30 euros for a very good parkland course, then stayed at roundstone, and played connemara 55 euros [lovely natural links] before heading up to the other three.

fantastic trip.
Report Deplasterer July 8, 2013 7:46 PM BST
Mexicano, if you ever get back to Donegal I would highly recommend Fahan links just outside Buncrana if you haven't already played there. Only 30euros.
Report mexicano July 8, 2013 8:42 PM BST
gotta say mate never heard of that place, but will check it out should i venture up there again.

it seems to me that this is the dilema we have when we're traveling, we spend a fair bit getting there, and we want to play the "names", and of course they are the more expensive ones, but you are prepared to go a bit further financially.

i bet we've driven past a lot of great courses in our collective travels without giving them any consideration at all.
Report Can't Catch Me July 8, 2013 9:25 PM BST
Haven't heard of that either de plasterer and we stayed in Buncrana! Best ribs ever at the Railway Tavern or whatever it was called now. Firebox Grill or something?
Report Can't Catch Me July 8, 2013 9:33 PM BST
Ah North Western. Did look at that. But as Mex says, when you are only there for a few days you always end up opting for the 'name' which is probably wrong.
Report Deplasterer July 8, 2013 9:49 PM BST
North West is correct one,  can't catch me, brilliant course for the price also greencastle short course but great fun and very cheap also and does a great carvery and great pint of Guinness!
Report Can't Catch Me July 8, 2013 10:02 PM BST
Sold! Fantastic part of the world.
Report mexicano July 8, 2013 10:07 PM BST
the story i like to tell about donegal,about 10 years ago we were staying in ballyliffen, and only playing there [quite unusual for us on a trip]. anyway just about 10 o'clock we were sitting upstairs in the clubhouse deciding whether we'd have another couple of pints and head back into town, when we noticed a few people drifting in.

about 10.15 the band arrived ans started setting up.

the rest as they say is historyLaugh
Report mexicano July 8, 2013 10:08 PM BST
the story i like to tell about donegal,about 10 years ago we were staying in ballyliffen, and only playing there [quite unusual for us on a trip]. anyway just about 10 o'clock we were sitting upstairs in the clubhouse deciding whether we'd have another couple of pints and head back into town, when we noticed a few people drifting in.

about 10.15 the band arrived ans started setting up.

the rest as they say is historyLaugh
Report Can't Catch Me July 8, 2013 10:11 PM BST
Typical Ireland that Mex! same happened to us in Sligo last year. But the place honestly didnt start filling up until 11.45pm. By 3am you couldn't move! Just an old fella's boozer. Great stuff.
Report xmoneyx July 8, 2013 10:13 PM BST
played dooks,Tralee par 3s diff any wind
Report mexicano July 8, 2013 10:24 PM BST
the bar of any three + star hotel on a saturday night.

ther's always an overflow from at least one of the wedding receptions that will be going on in the hotelHappy.
Report Deplasterer July 8, 2013 10:27 PM BST
The redcastle is a fine hotel and also has a 9 hole, good base for all Donegal courses or Derry fairly near too.
Report Mr Eboue July 9, 2013 6:11 PM BST
Betfair golf forum trip to Ireland looks a good idea. Cool
Report mp06 July 10, 2013 7:48 AM BST
i live in ireland,south east lovely courses include bunclody,mount juliet,waterford,rosslare
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 8, 2016 12:51 AM BST
Look no further than right here...

http://swinggolfireland.com/

1. Fly into Kerry Airport (15 min away) from your stay in Tralee and play Tralee x2 (again within 7 days for additional charge of €110), Ballybunion Old & Waterville. Optional to either play Tralee again (“it's that good” as per CCM) or Dooks, the RTJ Cashen (second course) in Ballybunion (Club do a 2 course special) or maybe Dingle (scenic drive too) in that order of preference as your 4th round. Shannon (then stay in Tralee or Teach de Broc in Ballybunion one night) and Cork (then stay in Killarney) Airports are also convenient.

2. Fly into Derry Regional or Sligo and stay in Harvey's Point (Vote No.#1 Hotel in Ireland) and play Ballyliffin Glashedy Links (Optional to stay one night in Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa), Rosapenna (Sandy Hills) and Murvagh x2. Also maybe consider Nairn & Portnoo GC. This will be without doubt the best value trip you will do BUT by Christ is it alot of hard driving. Reminder to self - Must play Cruit Island one day soon.

http://www.northandwestcoastlinks.com/tour-category/golf-packages/

3. Fly into Sligo and stay in Sligo (or Ballina for one night) and play Belmullet (Carne 27 holes), Murvagh (Donegal), Rosses Point (Sligo) and Enniscrone.

Maybe also consider this tournament http://www.westcoastchallenge.info/

4. Fly into Belfast and stay in Portrush Atlantic (formerly Ramada) and play both Portrush Dunluce x2, Rathmore / Valley course  (second Portrush course) & Portstewart. Don’t miss the Ramore Restaurants in the Harbour run by Fionn McAlpin. If that Lough Foyle Ferry is working then Ballyliffin should/could be included in this Portrush trip. And remember tell 'em Darren sent you ! Devil

5. Fly into Dublin and stay in The Grand Malahide (or Island View Hotel, cheaper) and play Baltray (Co Louth), The Island x2 & Portmarnock Championship (Red/Blue). A just maybe consideration is Portmarnock Hotel & Links course or Royal Dublin. Good local restaurants too.

6. Fly into Cork and stay in Kinsale and play the Old Head (once on a calm day please, once is enough - over priced), Fota Island (parkland, if you must) and Little Island (Cork GC - an Alister Mac) x2. Very good restaurants here too.

YOUR THOUGHTS / VIEWS ARE WELCOME Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 8, 2016 1:15 AM BST
No.3 Forgot about Knock Airport too.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 8, 2016 1:19 AM BST
Reminder Royal County Down (at Mourne GC) - World's No.#1 Golf Links - OPEN WEEK is next week - Golf only £50 but most likely booked out at this late stage - know a few that travel up from Dublin for a great day out !
Report Can't Catch Me July 8, 2016 7:25 AM BST
Forgot about this thread. F*ck me, Ireland is a golfing Mecca.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 8, 2016 2:32 PM BST
Catch Me ifyoucan • July 7, 2016 10:43 PM BST
CCM, I googled this for you...

http://traleetoday.ie/video-tralee-golf-club-looks-stunning-clip/
Report tim6 July 10, 2016 7:56 PM BST
Also in kerry you have Waterville links course which Woods would come to play this time of year to get him ready for the open.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 18, 2016 11:12 PM GMT
TIME OF THE YEAR for planning ahead as lots of the courses will be opening the books for next year - if it's not too late already.
Report Can't Catch Me November 19, 2016 9:32 AM GMT
Booked to go up North next year. Royal County Down, Ardglass and County Louth. Can't wait.
Report mp06 November 19, 2016 2:05 PM GMT
Loce Carne track,amazing place and superb value for money unlike lots of overhyped irish tracks imo
Report mp06 November 19, 2016 2:05 PM GMT
Love*
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com