Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Priest
26 Aug 12 23:27
| Topic/replies: 1,362 | Blogger: The Priest's blog
It seems with each passing tournament the crowds are getting worse and worse , over here it reached it's peak for m during the Open when ' fans ' were seen turning up in fancy dress and shouting 'Roast Potatoes' at every hole. If you want to get pi ssed and wear fancy dress go to the Darts you stupid tw@ts

Just watched the Barclay's and yes it was in New York but the behaviour of the crowd was disgusting , I genuinely believe that the reason Tiger looked so p!ssed off was as much with the crowd as his play , he hits a rubbish shot which is sailing into the distance 50yds away from the fairway and all he can hear are the whoops and Hollahs of the people around the tee screaming ' Your the Man Tiger ' ' Great shot' 'Go get em Tiger'

You could see he just wanted to turn around and say ' Are you fu c king morons blind? can you not see where ive hit it? Just die cretins !' ok made last one up but that is what i would want to say.

In America it seemed to start with the Mash potato mob ( where did that come from anyhow?) and has gone from there , they are now screaming literally a fraction of a second the ball has been hit and sometime i swear a fraction before the ball has been hit.

It seems Golf fans no longer go, the morons and the cretins and the p!ss heads just seem to have taken over.

I know people will slag this off but mark my words if Golf isn't careful and something done - what do security do there anyhow? - Golf will quickly get out of hand.

If people think thats a bit extreme didn't i hear a report that said people were fighting in lumps with the police at the end of one of the days at the Open? You go to watch the Golf and end up scrapping mob handed with the Police? don't tell me thats normal behaviour.
Pause Switch to Standard View Are Golf fans becoming more like...
Show More
Report Dan Chipowski August 27, 2012 12:23 AM BST
I agree with a lot of what you've said.

The shouting rubbish after tee shots does my head in.
Report jackdebden August 27, 2012 2:14 AM BST
Yeah agree too man.
Report Kelly August 27, 2012 3:21 AM BST
The business about dressing up in weird clothes to go to sporting occasions is the result of media presence .  If there were no cameras etc , no one would do it .

So its partly the fault of the media . If now the media ignored the fools and had a "no show" policy the silly dressing would stop .  The cricket followers are among the worst as regards dressing up , but they generally behave OK . Could be stopped with more security presence at the entrance . Would not happen at the Masters normally , I suspect .

The noise factor  in golf came from USA . Started I think with some of the "stadium " courses where there were 15,000 approx in drinking mode at one hole , so it was easy to be invisible and beyond the reach of sensible people .

The rugby people had trouble of a slightly different flavour back in the eighties I think , know I stopped going to the rugby internationals around then because the behaviour of a lot of the lads ( and lasses ) on the terraces was boorish . Debate on the problem generated "vigilantes " who moved in when there was a problem , sorted it out inside a couple of seasons , dont think there are problems nowadays .

Harder to do on golf courses without a lot of manpower .

People who actually play golf generally do not step out of line , its the occasionals who probably cause the problem . But identifying the culprits  and disciplining them could be tricky  , particularly regarding noise .  Tiger refused to go to one of the "stadium " inclined courses way back in the nineties as I recall , fair play to him then .

Drink is a factor too , pervades peoples thinking ( media influence again ) and some people seem to think that those who do not imbibe cannot fully enjoy any occasion .

Drink , fame (? ) for a moment , media reportage , cult of celebrity , changing standards of behaviour , plus plus etc ... life and acceptable standards have changed a lot in last 50 years .
Report BritishAtheist August 27, 2012 9:13 AM BST
The fancy dress I can handle, I see no problem with that. At this year's Open it was American visitors that were shouting "mash potato" after each tee shot was struck, as they do every week on the PGA Tour. No class whatsoever.
Report verbotene liebe August 27, 2012 4:19 PM BST
A few weeks ago in a US PGA event there was someone, with what soundded like a South African accent shouting something at every hole. No doubt had the video recorder sent and was doing it seemingly right on impact before the swing was completed. At one hole he yelled 'meatballs'. Absolute bonehead.
Report Kingmambo August 27, 2012 4:43 PM BST
On Saturday night at the 17th I think, some bell shouted out loud and clear "Niiiick the Priiiiiick" just after Watney had hit his tee shot.  All credit to him, Watney didn't react in the slightest, but can see this happening to a less placid fella at some event and all hell breaking loose.
Report Regular Fries August 27, 2012 6:53 PM BST
As Kelly alluded to in his post, with the American 'fans' on the lash all day you're just asking for trouble. They find it difficult to keep quiet when sober.
Report The Priest August 27, 2012 9:00 PM BST
The fancy dress is to me what starts all the nonsense , absolutely no way are these people who go in fancy dress remotely bothered by the actual event that is going on around them , at the Open it just showed a group in fancy dress at around 09.30 in the morning all with pint glasses stood by a fence, basically the entire problem in a microcosm

I also at the Open kept hearing ' Roast ' potatoes so that to me was obviously the Brit fans making sure they could do the Yankee thing but with the Roast instead of Mash.

If the courses were not so interested in taking the money they could quite easily make it known well in advance, a dress code will be in place i.e No Fancy Dress or no admittance and if you turn up and want to make an issue of it then the local Police can act as referee on that one and best of luck.  Also it should be quite clearly stated on either your ticket or at the entrance that you are expected to behave in a right and proper manner depicting the fine game that is Golf and have security watching at each Tee , especially Tiger's Tee or any of the big names , once again eviction from security the only solution.

I would reckon if you knew that was the score on entering the louts would quickly find somewhere else to go and the proper fans would make a comeback.

It was said there were 1200 volunteers at the Barclays , it doesn't take that much more for people to mingle in with the crowd and you can spot the shouters straight away , one call on the mobile later and the guy is taken away.
Report therhino August 28, 2012 8:38 AM BST
Easiest solution is a party hole at every event. Works well in Phoenix and the players seem to love it. All the drinkers in one place and the players are mentally prepared for it. I love the party hole, hate the twits giving Sergio grief the other day was uncalled for, but the party hole rules.
Report clarkey August 28, 2012 9:12 AM BST
Why the hell would you pay money to watch a Golf tournament then stand around shouting mash potatoes when a player has barely finished his back swing???!!........what type of moron would even entertain doing such an idiotic thing?.The treatment of Sergio the other night was shocking and there were marshalls all around him and nobody did a thing to get the imbeciles removed.

I personally dont mind seeing fancy dress at the Open,the Rory wigs etc.....think that's a bit of harmless fun.

I reckon there's going to be lots of trouble at the Ryder Cup next month in terms of behaviour towards the Europeans.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 28, 2012 9:24 AM BST
Prior to the event they were expecting a rowdy crowd especially at 17.

I don't get the potato thing although ive got to admit i haven't noticed that much.
Report therhino August 28, 2012 9:45 AM BST
Why should mash potato at all clarkey!!! WTF does it mean? weird as feck this mash potato thing
Report ShrimperWomble August 29, 2012 4:47 PM BST
I think it's hard to ban fancy dress when you see the trousers that John Daly wears all the time......

Clearly the fans shouting are idiots with no brain cells.  Why? Well what else would you call someone who shouts abuse at a bloke wielding a long stick with a lump of metal at the end........

Americans shout Mash Potato
British shout Roast Potatoes
So do the French shout Dauphinese Potatoes
Or maybe at the Masters you shout Green Jacket Potatoes?
Report dogwood August 29, 2012 10:41 PM BST
Some very good points, im an avid golf fan  i watch all the pga tour and am so fed up with these idiots shouting! Im sure it will be worse at the ryder cup,but  i went to the bmw and the open this year and found both tournaments very well organised and the crowds to be very respectful to players of all nations
Report pokeron August 30, 2012 4:30 AM BST
'don't worry pal, your girl's a 10!'
Report Angel Gabrial September 1, 2012 11:54 PM BST
Are these idiots who shout `mashed potato` on Boo Weekly`s guest list.

These loud mouth Yanks are probably the most ignorant people on the planet. They are lacking in intelligence and need knocking down a peg or two.
Report coksuker September 2, 2012 9:59 AM BST
Report Return_Of_Dawsy September 2, 2012 1:32 PM BST
Am I the only person that enjoys the shouting?
Report Puggy4 September 2, 2012 1:54 PM BST
yes
Report xmoneyx September 2, 2012 6:49 PM BST
when someone shouts yorkshire pudding--action will be taken
Report EdwardWoowardWould September 2, 2012 7:46 PM BST
What an absolute load of feckin bollox being spouted on here

While there are some valid points some guff spoken here beggars belief

If the courses were not so interested in taking the money  , how stupid are you ffs, yeh right why would any business want to take money, pill lock

And as for people wearing fancy dress, lets just hang them and be done with it for such a terrible crime and then there is the drinking, omg these people should be tortured until dead

Get a grip you shower of boring baastards

Yes there is a problem but not with everyone, just a few idiots

Quite simple issue an etiquette code on entry and throw out the twaaats who break the rules

There are NOT that many

Jesus
Report Angel Gabrial September 2, 2012 8:01 PM BST
You did not need to mention Jesus did you?
Report xmoneyx September 3, 2012 12:21 PM BST
EWW post  must of been inspired from THE WICKER MAN Excited
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com