Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jack_Kray
10 Feb 12 22:31
| Topic/replies: 832 | Blogger: Jack_Kray's blog
What awful, awful coverage - does the TV director think we want to see actors and 'funny men' hacking the ball around all night? Watching some fat **** called Boomer aint my idea of quality golf

There's far too many of these events and are usually played over multi courses, which makes it even worse trying to keep up with the pros. It's like switching on Wimbledon and watching Stephen Fry take on Rolf Harris over 3 sets instead of Nadal V Federer or tuning into Man Utd V Arsenal and having to watch the blokes from Hollyoaks having a kickabout first
Pause Switch to Standard View Pro Celebs - Whats The Point?
Show More
Report Mighty Whites 2008 February 10, 2012 10:44 PM GMT
this event will raise over a million dollars for charity
Report Jack_Kray February 10, 2012 10:55 PM GMT
You could apply that to any sport - but other sports choose not get contaminated by having such events at all, let alone on a regular basis. There are plenty of other ways to raise money for charity
Report HeinzGuderian February 10, 2012 11:06 PM GMT
It also give the sponsors a chance to play with the stars.
Mr Buick.
Mr Chrysler
Mr Barclays Bamk.

I suggest you invest in a Television set with more than one channel. Happy
Report donny osmond February 10, 2012 11:10 PM GMT
a throwback to a different era

bob hope and bing crosby both keen golfers and decent players too

trying to raise funds for charity via their golf buddies

the pro am up in scotland still draws a decent crowd of people with no interest in golf

having said that it is dreadful to follow and to watch, imo
Report Jack_Kray February 10, 2012 11:26 PM GMT
Good points donny - it's just there seems to be too many of them. Perhaps if it was an annual event like in Scotland it wouldn't be so bad, or if they did it in the post season, like when they have those shoot out events

But 5 weeks into the new season and 2 celeb events already is a bit OTT imo
Report driverwedge February 10, 2012 11:46 PM GMT
These events raise money for charity and may in the future as the economic climate be used to raise the purse for events, especially in europe...If you dont want to watch you know where the switch is, idiot...
Report driverwedge February 10, 2012 11:47 PM GMT
*as the economic climate worsens
Report Jack_Kray February 11, 2012 12:17 AM GMT
No need to throw a tantrum driverwedge

I understand they raise money for charity, but as mentioned, there are many ways to do that. It's just a way for the corporate bosses to get their jollies - and the PGA and TV companies suck up to them and allow it

You don't see this in any other sport on such a regular basis.

And it has nothing to do with knowing where the off switch is btw - just because you're happy watching Kenny G and Bill Murray doesn't mean everyone else is
Report racingguru February 11, 2012 1:44 AM GMT
I'm with you Jack. If its about giving sponsors a chance to play with pros etc they could have a non televised event or something in the silly season of golf post PGA but for a sport trying to gain back viewership post Tiger fall out to serve up this $hite serves no purpose. At least in this day of interactive TV they could have a pro version of the event which edits out the cr@p served up by the celebs. Enough to make me puke watching Bill Murray making an a$$ of himself.

I'm a golf living in Canada and this week have chosen to get up early hours to watch Dubai coverage than watch an event on some of the most beautiful courses in the world with Tiger playing in regular hours. Maybe the PGA tour should think about that as I am their target market.
Report mesmerised February 11, 2012 7:50 AM GMT
Don't understand the problem really, I agree the sponsors are probably getting a lot out of it, but it's still for charity, there are other ways to raise money for charity, but this raises a lot more money a lot more quickly, the defence case hear comes across as a bit snobby tbh but can't please all  the people all the time as they say.
Report VIRTUALFAN February 11, 2012 7:54 AM GMT
golf events arent run for the benefit of the small percentage watching who are watching for the betting perspective

hth
Report Jack_Kray February 11, 2012 8:53 AM GMT
Good points racigguru, like you say, events like do nothing to attract new fans. I just don't get this readily acceptance of it by many on here simply based on it being 'for charity'

To use my earlier tennis example again, fans of that sport would be in uproar if televised pro events were padded out with celeb dross and the only excuse given was 'ah but it's for charity don't you know?'

Or anyone with the inability to debate the issue in a reasonable manner will simply come out with the 'switch it off if you don't like it' old chestnut - which really isn't the point, or the answer
Report donny osmond February 11, 2012 10:45 AM GMT
my mrs would rather watch a pro-am

i want to watch the golf,

back in the day these tournaments were off season, and warm ups for what was to follow, but their popularity with the american public has ensured their survival

i oftem wonder if bill murray does play every year or if they just computer generate a new outfit for him, and he sits at
home posting groundhog day on the chit chat forum.
Report Herbie Peanut February 11, 2012 11:41 AM GMT
Id hate to go to a Kenny G concert and have to watch Bubba rapping.
Report redsman February 11, 2012 2:13 PM GMT
How much do the amatuers pay to play in this?
Report Ski-Wiz February 11, 2012 2:25 PM GMT

Feb 10, 2012 -- 5:06PM, HeinzGuderian wrote:

It also give the sponsors a chance to play with the stars.Mr Buick.Mr ChryslerMr Barclays Bamk.I suggest you invest in a Television set with more than one channel.

I suggest you get two monitors and keep your computer in the living room......take a while to get in use to watch 3 different TV screens.

Report the muppet moans February 11, 2012 2:25 PM GMT
Whilst I agree they are a nightmare to watch you have to remember one very important fact - Jack when you say "It's just a way for the corporate bosses to get their jollies - and the PGA and TV companies suck up to them and allow it" - remember without those guys there simply would be no golf events worth watching - it is these corporate bosses who stump up the cash which gets the players to play which gets us to bet - it is the way of things and is the only way the golf tours can run.
Report Jack_Kray February 11, 2012 3:19 PM GMT
tmm - sponsorship is required in all sports though and not just golf. However, it's seemingly just golf that indulges these corporate guys and allows them to participate alongside the pros. I doubt very much if a company such as BMW would withdraw sponsorship from other tournaments if their boss could only play in one pro-celeb per season

5 weeks and 6 tournaments in to a new season and 2 of those 6 have been reduced to micky mouse events by over-indulging the celeb circus

Even the Sky boys were making disparaging noises about it last night, which was refreshing to hear, as usually the TV guys suck it all in as well (sure Sky weren't the host network, but it was still good to hear them say what a lot of us were thinking)
Report Jack_Kray February 11, 2012 3:22 PM GMT
Anyway, hopefully it won't be as bad tonight with Tiger and Phil both at Pebble Beach
Report Herbie Peanut February 11, 2012 3:33 PM GMT
I think Bill Murray is playing pebble as well so fully expect him to get top billing tonight.
Report HeinzGuderian February 12, 2012 2:35 AM GMT
I suggest you get two monitors and keep your computer in the living room......take a while to get in use to watch 3 different TV screens.
//////////////////////////////////////////////

I suggest you get to grips with the English language before being let lose on a keyboard again !! Cool
Report racingguru February 12, 2012 8:54 AM GMT
Thankfully Murray didn't make the cut for final round.
Report BobSievier February 12, 2012 9:56 AM GMT
So that American "comedians" can prove yet again that there supremacy as cringe worthy morons is still intact.
Report GRANTCKING February 12, 2012 11:01 AM GMT
yep cant stand that prick murray, an attention seeking c unt
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com