Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
frames
13 Jul 10 13:37
| Topic/replies: 12,112 | Blogger: frames's blog
Enjoyed doing the thread last year and being as I got incredibly lucky and have come no where near to that win in the last 12 months then it seems fair enough to have another crack.
It`s very different this year though ,Tiger (7.4 as I type) was shorter than he is now after shooting a very poor first round at Turnberry.He went off a 5/2 chance on a course he had not played before (I think) and  here he is at over 6/1 on a course where he has lagged up in the last two Opens played here.Two ways of looking at it ,wow what a price or perhaps this could be the last chance we get to lay the Greatest at single figures in our Open.I have had a few quid in to lay him at 6.0 for a while ,he got to 6.4 and obviously I wish I had layed that.Now 7.6 as I type and it seems one way traffic.
I was hoping to find last years thread and copy a few bits off it to post on here as the rules for me are the same as always.The difference this year is that I cannot field anywhere near last years as a starting point.I think I was fielding 12k ish against Tiger at the off and his poor start made it.I can`t see me laying him until  near the off this time and might gamble on him making a fast start but that`s not a game I`m keen to play.
I remember a few of the regulars posting figures last year ,TB,Trebor,Knight Rider, Ronsk and a few others I can`t remember at the moment.This made the thread much more interesting and I hope they will give it another go and also hope a few others might join in.Bito has promised a "how to make the Giro pay" piece which has to be a great addition.
I look forward to the weeks banter and will try and answer any questions asked.I have turned the filter off for the week.
Good luck all.
Pause Switch to Standard View A one off -Part 2.
Show More
Report par July 18, 2010 5:30 PM BST
I hear what you are saying Aussie

I do not wish to hijack this thread so won't say too much on it

Only Rory can say for sure, but he looked mighty confident before the break and was never the same after it

Anyway, onwards and upwards and well done to the zillionaires on this thread

Top marks to eddie the eagle, i cannot comprehend what winning that amount feels like
Report Aussie Driver July 18, 2010 5:31 PM BST
No you are right it is a discussion for another thread Par
Report par July 18, 2010 5:32 PM BST
he had the job to do knight rider and missed early putts, I admit it was harsh and i retract it

disappointing would be more apt

I do think he will win in the next few weeks though, his swing looks back after that injury and who knows, PGA perhaps ?

or second to Rory probably Laugh
Report Knight Rider July 18, 2010 5:33 PM BST
Rumour has it Rory has never shot in the 70s at Whistling Straits Silly
Report caney1980 July 18, 2010 5:42 PM BST
Thanks for running this thread frames, and for all the great contributions - for me it's easily been the highlight of this years open, despite halving my meagre bank roll of £1000!
Looking forward to the next one, well done everyone![:p]
Report frames July 18, 2010 5:45 PM BST
You can`t help but like Rory,after his 80 his advisor (Stuart Cage I think they said) pulled him aside to ask if he wanted to be interviewed about it.No hesitation in saying he did.Will win more than his share.
Report zekial July 18, 2010 5:45 PM BST
that cnut johnsone just had to finish 4,4 to win me 2k and gets a 6 on 17 and out of bounds on the 18.someone throw me a bone
Report par July 18, 2010 5:45 PM BST
Laugh
Report zekial July 18, 2010 5:46 PM BST
meant johnson,mispelt due to seething
Report par July 18, 2010 5:50 PM BST
If lee could putt ??Confused
Report frames July 18, 2010 5:51 PM BST
Just noticed Robert Rock is Top 10 in a major ,fecking hell.
Report jarvis8 July 18, 2010 5:53 PM BST
well done oosty backers, having a glass of bubbly, on at 70 not in the big league.
Report Knight Rider July 18, 2010 5:53 PM BST
No doubt Rory will win a bunch of Majors Frames.  Whether he will be backable for any of them is a different question...
Report ReaseHeath July 18, 2010 5:55 PM BST
frames Joined: 11 Jan 02
Replies: 4526 18 Jul 10 17:45   

You can`t help but like Rory,after his 80 his advisor (Stuart Cage I think they said) pulled him aside to ask if he wanted to be interviewed about it.No hesitation in saying he did.Will win more than his share.

Agreed and a refreshing change from the robotic, clipped one sentence answers that still have to be quarried from the mouth of Woods.

Also slightly irritated that the interviewer thanks him for his time as if he is doing the golfing public, without whom he'd be nothing, a favour.

Woods would be at home playing in the Premier League - so much about modern sport is dispiriting - the likes of McIlroy and the phalanx of youngsters emerging from Asia are a potential antedote though.
Report par July 18, 2010 5:56 PM BST
here here
Report ronsk July 18, 2010 5:59 PM BST
Surely that bridesmaid dress is wearing itself out by now?
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 18, 2010 6:02 PM BST
did you learn nothing from the US Open?
Report zekial July 18, 2010 6:03 PM BST
it was with the books you clown,,glad you find it 4 smiley faces funny - tosser
Report alun2005 July 18, 2010 6:05 PM BST
Great thread Frames and well done to the other serious winners.
Report zekial July 18, 2010 6:17 PM BST
im guessing logic isnt one of your strong points but yes I use the books when they offer 7/8 places at close to best price for a player I want onside

wont argue re DJ after another dismal closing performance but re having nerve to call you a tosser, yes I stand by that
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

put 11 smileys in your reply,that'l surely prove your right
Report ronsk July 18, 2010 6:19 PM BST
Get a room girls...
Report frames July 18, 2010 6:21 PM BST
I would like to thank everyone for contributing to the thread ,well nearly everyone.Seemed a lot more joined in than last year and this made it all the better.
Obviously the highlight is Eddie and Knight Rider winning the best part of 1/2 a million between them.Amazing.Top picking Eddie and incredible bottle from Knight Rider.Well done both.
Well done all the winners and bad luck to the losers and very well done to Louis.Fantastic performance.
Report jarvis8 July 18, 2010 6:21 PM BST
PAR, westwood's won so many,why do think he always blows it in majors, he also is my first lay every time.
Report chris_rogers30 July 18, 2010 6:25 PM BST
Yep well done boys Silly Great to see some fantastic results on here Happy

May my £220 profit not be unnoticed in their midst Cool
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 18, 2010 6:26 PM BST
people backing stenson and laying westwood in the without market????
Report chris_rogers30 July 18, 2010 6:33 PM BST
To be fair lads Zekial at least had the balls to post that he'd lost a bet.

Unlucky mate, you'll get it back.
Report Knight Rider July 18, 2010 6:34 PM BST
Westender I disagree, there was some phenomenal value with the books this week.  Some of them going 1/4 odds top 7.
Report chris_rogers30 July 18, 2010 6:37 PM BST
**** were 1/4 top 8
Report chris_rogers30 July 18, 2010 6:37 PM BST
spoilsports
Report Tynecast1e July 18, 2010 6:56 PM BST
Been on holiday all week, still in Wales and reading this just now, fantastic thread, well done to the big winners and to everyone that won.
Hope to see you at my local course Carnoustie this week.
Report frames July 18, 2010 7:00 PM BST
He`s another of Chubby`s gang.Just heard Chubby interviewed ,he had to ask the Swedes for an invite for Louis next week.Just a 1,2,3 for Chubby.
Report ericthecat July 18, 2010 7:01 PM BST
not too worried had a great week, my 3rd biggest return!

lost alittle this afternoon but not enough to dampen my spirits.

what i would love to know is how the big players get themselves out of a bad position, because their must have been alot. I got 450s on oostie and many would have laid him, just how would you get yourself out of it?
Report ericthecat July 18, 2010 7:07 PM BST
i have always been suspect of casey's bottle, but he just keeps confirming it, to shoot a 75 in good conditions when in contention means from now on i will always oppose him on the final day

westwood, i think people are being a little harsh, played very well again this week, but did not buy a putt all week and still finished 2nd, his time will come i hope

tiger looks mortal again putted as bad as you have ever seen him, but played ok he will be back
Report ronsk July 18, 2010 7:19 PM BST
Eddie wins the Open Comp too!
Report Reyes July 18, 2010 7:21 PM BST
top thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading it over last few days.
Well done frames, KR and eddie (!) plus the other winners.

frames - any time you feel like posting a beginners guide to making a book on golf, go ahead! Cheers.
Report frames July 18, 2010 7:38 PM BST
Jesus Eddie ,what on earth will you do with the extra £120.
Report frames July 18, 2010 7:42 PM BST
Reyes ,Lucky Sod posted last years thread on a thread titled "Calling frames" further down the forum.If you get chance to read it there is more detail on my basic strategy than in this thread.You just need a lot of spare time.
Report par July 18, 2010 7:45 PM BST
jarvis

there is no bigger fan of westwood's golf than me, and my term joke is one of frustration

how many chances does lee need to get his feet in the door of that first major

infuriating to watch him set up chance and chance and make nothing

how many did he miss from inside 4 feet this week

in fairness he putts like that even when playing in normal events, just shows how good he is that he won R2D last year and is doing well nearly every week
Report Reyes July 18, 2010 7:56 PM BST
thx frames, off to read it now. time is something i have!
Report bobby 1 July 18, 2010 9:11 PM BST
frames or reyes can you ttt that thread please
Report Wok July 18, 2010 10:18 PM BST
Lucky Sod posted last years thread on a thread titled "Calling frames" further down the forum.

Would love to read it but no search facility here that I can find so no way to locate it. Do you have a link we can follow? Thanks.
Report a bitofinterest July 18, 2010 10:48 PM BST
calling frames thread
Report plainlazy July 18, 2010 10:53 PM BST
good to see your alive tyne.. i was getting a bit worried no posts from you in open week
Report Total Bosman July 18, 2010 10:57 PM BST
On a cheerier little postscript to a bad one for me, I`ve clawed back about a grand on the Reno-Tahoe nonsense.  Still a bad day, but a small moral victory to finish.
Report Bayes. July 18, 2010 11:43 PM BST
I wasn't really going to get involved in the golf this year as I tend to concentrate on tennis these days but I did have a little bit of a dabble from Friday onwards. There were two absolutely incredible opportunities that got mentioned on this thread but only fleetingly. The first was when the wind picked up on day 2. I'm afraid I got the wrong side of this as I layed Casey at 28 when he completed his round. With barely another shot being played he was 12 and everyone else in the clubhouse had similarly shortened (including of course the winner) and everyone still to play drifted. Anyone who had prior knowledge of the weather must have cleaned up.

The second huge opportunity occurred ten minutes before Oosthuizen teed off in round 3. A fairly robust global market (ie. Betfair) had him at 4.2 4.3 but suddenly a maniac punter appeared with 50k to lay. Not satisfied with laying the 4.3 and 4.4 that was there he/she proceeded to move it upwards about every minute until the last 20k got done at 5.3 just as young Louis smacked one down the middle of the first.

You can scratch around all weekend for value, but those two incidences really stood out for me.
Report Eddie the eagle July 18, 2010 11:57 PM BST
Firstly , sorry for not being on here for the last part of the round , but I've been on a bad internet connection this week with having to use a proxy server and stuff like that and lost all connection when the leaders were on the 11th and spent the next 45 minutes rebooting , deleting temp internetfiles/caches and all the other usual stuff in order to get online again.  Nothing worked so I had to access a leaderboard on my phone and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Oosty was 8 shot clear.
   That calmed me down and when he was still 8 or 9 clear with only 3 to go I joined the family and friends downtown for dinner.

Secondly I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread. Last years thread was the highlight of the year on the forum , but I think I'll leave it to others to pass sentence on this one.
  Ironically this is one of this year's  tournaments I have spent the least time on. I've had Oosty in mind for this one since he played great over a period earlier this year.  Imo his game is more suited to this course than any other player out there , Tiger included , if the wind isn't to bad.
    Had to look hard in order to find the others I backed because I wanted a few more to hope for when I knew I wouldn't be able to spend much time in front of the computer in order to make a book similar to how frames and others do.   

Last , but not least I would like to thank Louis.  Ys he may have got the better of the conditions , but so did lots of other players and he managed to win with a huge margin in the end - Impossible to argue against that.
Report bohemond July 19, 2010 1:05 AM BST
wasnt able to contribute to this thread this yr but have had a good read through this eve - well done eddie and kr - could never have traded like kr not in my nature to be comfortable with -99k red on players that close to a previously unproven winner like oosty - actually i couldnt be -99k red on anyone as my working bank only stretches to 1/10 that figure LaughPlain

fwiw i made just over 2k on oosty the bulk of which came from a lay of mcilroy and woods b4 they teed off on fri pm. Though its easy to say in hindsight the lay which was well timed was not aggressive enough.

Next yr's open is at Royal st Georges (Sandwich) a course i have played and will be playing again prior to the event - I will also go to a practice day or 2 b4 the start - whether this improves my chances of trading more successfully who knows - this weekend every yr is unfortunately not a good one due to personal sporting commitments - that said eddie watched very little and clearly it did him no harm at all Cool
Report a bitofinterest July 19, 2010 1:11 AM BST
but was he value eddie..
Report Chosen® July 19, 2010 5:19 AM BST
Eddie the eagle Joined: 01 Feb 04
Replies: 1616 13 Jul 10 21:00

I don't have much to contribute on this thread...heading to Turkey on Thursday morning and will spend 9 days there.
Therefore I am not creating any kind of book in The Open this year.  At the moment the % is also heavy in backers favour , so this week I will probably only be a backer of something like 5 - 8 runners.  Will try to green out during the tournament if they start well and if I can find the time to access internet.

The rest, as they say, is history. I'm booking next year's holiday to Turkey as we speak - must be something in the water!

My initial view put me in a profitable position after Day 2. Then I layed Oosty in the belief he would come back to them. He didn't - and never looked like it. Rather, he looked like a man at peace with himself and his position in the world throughout. And when his wife and infant daughter joined him on the last green you could see why.

If anyone was searching for a reason for Oosty's newly found composure at altitude, perhaps this was it.

A losing week for me; a winning week for golf through the emergence of a true champion. Well done to all those that recognised his potential to win this week and profited from it.

A compelling thread. Thanks to frames for getting the ball rolling and to all the genuine contributions. Roll on next year - but do remember to take a vacation in the meantime.
Report deepwater July 19, 2010 5:30 AM BST
everything seemed to come together for this 1000 bet or luck

1.over generous odds for st. andrews

2.over generous odds for a proven player

3.player hits form of his life-keeps it going 4 rounds

4.gets the right draw-but others players did and did nothing with it

5.leads by 4/5 strokes after 2nd round meaning punters with huge odds are staying with him.

6.last round his closest rival misses a 7ft birdie putt on 1st green--huge result for oost backers.
Report Alfie Green July 19, 2010 7:38 AM BST
Well done to all the winners and contributors to this thread.

I managed to get out of a heavy position on Tiger by having also heavily backed Casey (+12k) and Kaymer (+50k) which allowed me to escape without too much damage before the start of the fourth round.

I had actually backed Oosty for £500 at 30/1 on Friday morning but sold at 8.4 before Casey took 7 at the 17th, giving me a 1k free margin or so I thought!

I really did not believe that he would hold on because of his inexperience at this level and was pretty sure that his lead would be 2 shots or less by the back 9 on Sunday...guess I got this one wrong unlike last year where I had 6 or 7 players by the last 5 holes all winning me +10k and Watson considerably more. I guess the critical moment on Sunday was the first hole and Casey's miserable birdie attempt from 6 ft...none of the chasing pack really had the fear factor that a charging Tiger could induce.

I was at St Andrew's on Saturday and I only saw Oosty play the 17th and hit his tee shot to 18...all the shots he played were exemplary and worthy of an Open Champion, caning his drive into the perfect spot on the far right of the fairway on 17 and then chipping a 5 iron the length of the green followed by a calm 2 putt, then a colossal drive to set up an eagle chance on 18. He played better than anyone else despite the break with the weather and is a fully deserving Open champion.
Report frames July 19, 2010 9:48 AM BST
Some good posts there to finish off the thread.

Day 4 summary.

Brilliant performance by Louis and as already stated Casey`s miss on the first was probably crucial.Unfortunately his brilliant performance was not good the book and it was a very boring day on that front.I was going to post a 12k profit just for TB and his earlier post then declare the real result later but thought better of it.
I could of squeezed best part of a grand out of Dustin and Cani but took the chance of one starting well ,as it was none of the top 10 made any move in the first hour or so and it was all over very quickly.
After day 1 to get any profit for the week is a very good week for myself.I honestly thought it was a hopeless case and decent loss was inevitable.After BF pilfer their tax on Wedneday I should come out of it with just over 5k ,chuffed with that tbh.
Again thanks to all that have contributed.

Back subtotal:      62,789.77
Lay subtotal:     -55,999.12
Market subtotal:     6,790.65
Commission @ 4.2%:     285.21
Net Market Total:     6,505.44
Report par July 19, 2010 9:54 AM BST
well done frames, nicely played out
Report hacker July 19, 2010 9:56 AM BST
Eddie...that will probably go down as the best pick of all time..really pleased for you mate.happydays!!!
Report padlock July 19, 2010 10:33 AM BST
nice work frames , wd
Report caney1980 July 19, 2010 10:44 AM BST
After four days glued to the tv watching links golf I couldn't resist popping down to Rye today [:D], think i'll go over to Sandwich to do some homework soon too Silly

Well done everyone, a seriously great read all week.
Report DONEMYLOT July 19, 2010 10:53 AM BST
I find this thread quite amazing at times. I would actually like to read a list of all the bets placed, but I doubt you'd want to send me it all, and Im not sure I have a week to peruse them

Doubt I would ever have the patience to do all this to be honest - does anyone take into account the PC deductions?

Oh and -580. Your way was better
Report frames July 19, 2010 11:06 AM BST
Thanks Par.
I don`t mind sending them DML ,it`s not that much when it`s just average odds of all bets/trades.
Report DONEMYLOT July 19, 2010 11:13 AM BST
That would be of interest, frames. Its something I need to look at (though in a much smaller way)

donemylot @ msn. com

Thanks
Report frames July 19, 2010 11:42 AM BST
Sent,I hope.
Report Herbie Peanut July 19, 2010 12:43 PM BST
Frames I would really appreciate if you could send me as well pokercontrolatlivedotcom You know i am around at the start of most events every Thursday and Im interested in your strategy as its almost the complete opposite of mine. I think I have a more risk free strategy that you have that gets the same results although i was just under a 1k winner on this event. I probably put in more time and research than anyone and full time trade golf and Im certainly the first to know of major developments such as withdrawals and form due to my twitter links and rapport with the players who use it. Thats especially useful when you get weather updates from some of them and their opinions direct to you. I would be very pleased to review strategies and you may just be interested in my computer setup for golf trading and the advantages i have including faster pics.
Report KP22 July 19, 2010 1:48 PM BST
Once again the thread a great read from start to finish, and nice to see some fantastic results in the main, with a couple of really big winners, well done and great bottle to stick with your position in the belief that you would have taken a bad price if moving it. My final result fwiw as follows.

Back subtotal:      5,218.04
Lay subtotal:     -4,537.64
Market subtotal:     680.40
Commission @ 4.8%:     32.66
Net Market Total:     647.74

All in all,more than happy with that working from a 1k bank throughout, though maybe hoped for a bit more given position on Friday night, but nevermind. This thread certainly helped me keep the winner onside throughout which im not sure i would have done even seeing the quality of golf he played. So congrats to all winners, Louis included who played amazing.
Report Aussie Driver July 20, 2010 1:42 AM BST
Frames tell me if I am being rude, but I noticed you are paying 4.2% commission?

How can you be paying that level based on that level of turnover?
Report frames July 20, 2010 10:15 AM BST
Turnover does not mater AD ,you only get points on your wins/losses and as I only play the golf and snooker I am always around the 4.2 mark.
Report Alfie Green July 20, 2010 10:35 AM BST
I am very impressed that Eddie the Eagle and others spotted Oosty as a potential winner given his previous form, did anyone post him as a potential winner before the start? Great call and well done to those that believed in him despite his missed cuts in previous Opens.
Report marychain1 July 20, 2010 11:06 AM BST
Eddie DID post him as a tip before the tournament, and rightly so, he won nearly as much as Louis himself for his selection.
Report a bitofinterest July 20, 2010 12:37 PM BST
Laugh
Report Aussie Driver July 20, 2010 1:41 PM BST
Fair enough Frames, I thought the discount rate applied to commission was based purely on turnover and thought it was strange you don't have a greater discount applied
Report Knight Rider July 21, 2010 8:07 PM BST
The sting in the tail...

2010-07-21
12:23    4717726     2010-07-21
12:23   
Premium Charge for week commencing 12 Jul 10          -    -    -    (31,401.43)

Cry

Don't expect much sympathy but it still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth when I have taken all the risk to win this money.  If I do the same bet again this week and lose £110k I will not get my £31k back, and that just can't be right.
Report frames July 21, 2010 8:20 PM BST
Painful KR ,takes the shine off it.

Could be wrong here but I thought you had got out of the PC because of the football taking you above the 22/23% already paid ?
Report Knight Rider July 21, 2010 8:28 PM BST
I got out of the danger zone for a while but I've had a really good 3-4 months so I'm back in it.  I'm sure in the long run I will get away from PC but it's really hard to control when that will be, unless I start deliberately losing money!
Report chris_rogers30 July 21, 2010 8:44 PM BST
31k out of somebody's week's profit - 4.5k a day for doing nothing. Well done Betfair. It's a scandal mate but well done on the win Happy

And good thread Frames, enjoyable reading Blush
Report Reyes July 21, 2010 10:19 PM BST
ouch KR. good point about not getting it back. must be galling.
Report frames June 8, 2013 8:58 PM BST
I think in this episode Eddie won the best part of 400k and Knight Rider chipped in with a 6 figure haul.
Report Chosen® June 10, 2013 3:23 AM BST
Well, now you've reprised this thread, frames, you're duty bound to stick around for the summer majors and impart some wit and wisdom from your retirement home (The Open 2010 was a losing episode for me, btw).
Report therhino June 10, 2013 7:45 AM BST
Charley Hoffman 130s with the bookies, 380 on here. Played well this year on tight tracks, a bit perplexed by that one have had to back him a bit.
Report therhino June 10, 2013 7:52 AM BST
Sorry, wrong thread. ^^^
Report Hank Hill June 10, 2013 6:39 PM BST
Just thought I'd have a quick skim read of this. I have no recollection of posting on this thread, but there I am on page 10 and I have even less memory of having a book in that tourny! July 2010 was a very hazy month, I guess that explains it. Glad I had a winning one at least Laugh
Report mengmeng June 10, 2013 7:18 PM BST
lay off the drink Hank its making you senile hehe
Report Flashbadger. June 11, 2013 2:14 AM BST
great read just spent an hour rereading this one......

i wonder if we are all gonna do this again for this years open,  on a sidenote what price was louis at the start of this - when eddie bet him? 500/1?
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 11, 2013 10:23 PM BST
yes oosty has at least 500 on here before he won
Report mengmeng June 11, 2013 10:26 PM BST
even i ended up on oostie , i jumped on around 6 or 7/1 after Rory made is first bogey on second day, it was that win and the following 4 weeks that set me up for what i do now, and it was because of this thread. So thanks Frames,Eddie ect ;)
Report Hank Hill June 11, 2013 10:41 PM BST
What do you do now then meng?
Report mengmeng June 11, 2013 10:46 PM BST
it gave me the funds and the confidence to make betting on the golf my main source of income, ups and downs ofcourse but more ups....so far
Report DONEMYLOT June 12, 2013 8:42 AM BST
frames
18 Jul 10 17:45   

Yeah, possibly
Report frames June 17, 2019 12:53 PM BST
If we are blowing our own trumpets here is a classic thread which any newbies might enjoy a read.

I can't find the original one off thread which incredibly was 10 years ago(Donny might find it ).In hindsight I probably wish I never did the original thread ,it ended up being my best ever week and I never came remotely close to achieving again.As well as that a few friends read it and no doubt word spread locally and people probably got the impression that was a normal week.

Anyway in this thread the golf forum legend Eddie The Eagle wins the best part of 500k.
Report frames June 17, 2019 1:05 PM BST
Good luck this year frames... 
  I haven't layed anything this year as I'm off to Turkey in a couple of hours and wont get much time there to be online working on a book.
   Have backed a few players though just to have an interest in the tournament.
  My backs are Oosthuizen , Cink , Dufner , Mcneill , Dyson , A Hansen , Na , Petrovic , Kelly and Garrido.
  The first four being the biggest green.
Report frames June 17, 2019 1:07 PM BST
Good morning everyone , I've got these positions at the moment :

Greens :
Oosthuizen   350 k
Casey        120 k
Garrido      260 k
Cink         360 k
Dyson         45 k
Na           125 k

Everyone else is - 8 k

Should lay off some on Oosty , but find it difficult to do so @ 4.5 when I think his price should be around 3 or even a little less than that.

Found these two ,350k it seems.
Report frames June 17, 2019 1:07 PM BST
Those are Eddie the Eagle posts from this thread.
Report frames June 17, 2019 1:21 PM BST
Eddie the eagle
Eddie the eagle 18 Jul 10 12:39 Joined: 01 Feb 04 | Topic/replies: 5,548 | Blogger: Eddie the eagle's blog
new bluey , no Premium Charge for me now even if Oosty seals the deal.
     I paid lots of PC last year , but this year has been awful so far , so I will still be down for the year even with Oosty winning.

frames , I don't think I will do anything before the leaders start playing.  No pictures on telli here as far as I can see , so will either follow play on the forum or try to find  a streaming , but internet connection isn't great here so doubt if it will work properly.
Rate reply:

Fecking hell ,still down on the year ,Eddie did have a swing or two.
Report donny osmond June 17, 2019 1:42 PM BST
i dont think search is working 100% at the moment frames, your thread
might also be lost due to being old format?

will take a look later in the week

there were some great posters on here, sadly missed!!!
Report Sports Fan June 17, 2019 1:54 PM BST
I remember this thread the first time around.  I recall be absolutely astounded by the numbers involved.  It would be great for you to make another frames??

I know the liquidity was incredible back in those days but do any of you still work to the same kind of numbers? Does the market allow it these days...I know there's still quite a bit of money about in the majors still but just wondering if the figures are a distant memory of the hazy days!

Can this even be achieved anymore of do the fast picture guys just mop up??
Report frames June 17, 2019 3:18 PM BST
Ok thanks Donny.

I won't be doing another one Sports Fan but I will answer your question ,it could be long winded but I have an hour to spare.
Report frames June 17, 2019 4:15 PM BST
Ok here we go ,could be boring to some ,apologies.

I have been in to gambling from a very early age , throwing 2p's against a wall from varying distances in school ,very occasionally 10p's.I was fascinated with cards ,3 card brag and pontoon were the games back then.In my school days I would get one afternoon off a year ,my Dad would take me to Chester races, horses racing then joined the fascination list.My dad likes a punt on the fixed odds football coupons ,that joined the list.
A treat when I was 15/16 was an hour or two in our local club ,one snooker table.I had been playing pool for a few years but quickly became hooked on snooker.I got to a reasonable standard and in my early 20's leased a snooker club.Needless to say this was gambling heaven for me.In the end cards stopped me from practicing snooker ,a game called Kalooki was played for hours on end in the club.
Those were great days now I look back.

Let's move on ,my forum date says I joined in Jan 2002 ( is that when I joined BF or found the forum ? Not sure).My maximum bet back then would be 100 and that was very rare.I think my first deposit was a grand ,the thought of laying horses was magical.I dabbled in football, snooker and darts.Over a few months I did the grand ,said to myself I will try another grand and if that goes so do I.I was not a winning punter on horses/football.I did win over the years playing snooker/pool and cards.

Anyway I drop on to golf by accident.I used to (cough, cough) lay the odd bet in the club.I did a bit of on-course bookmaking as well back then.It was Craig Perks's Players Championship 2002 ,one of my locals backed him at 10/1 ew, I'm guessing it was the Saturday.I had a lap top behind the bar ,put the golf market on and started laying with my grand.Two days later I was overs for a grand ,how the feck did that happen ? I don't know but I was now hooked.

A year or so later the night that ultimately changed my betting.I was still dabbling in football trying to find that system ,I had started laying the fav in a live football match for a few grand (I had built my bank up to around 35k by then ,mind blowing to this day for me).The idea was to get out after a few minutes ,nick a few quid if it's 0-0,hoping for the miracle early goal from the rag.The first few goes resulted in wins of around 400.

I will never forget ,it was a Monday,quiet day in the club.The evening game was Blackburn at home to Everton.I layed Blackburn for about 5k early in the day,can't remember the price but I'd guess around evens.I check in about and hour or two later and they are now 1.9 (these are guesses regards the price but you will get the drift),I lay another 5k hoping the price goes back and I can get some back.Wrong they continue to shorten and by kick off Blackburn are losers for 20k+.It transpires that Everton tried to get the game called off as a flu bug had swept though the squad.

You can guess the rest ,Blackburn score very early.I'm fecked ,2-0 by half time.Everton tease me and get a goal back ,Unsworth had a great chance late on but no 2-1 it finished.I remember winning 600 on a side market ,next team to score or something but I had blown around 23k.Sick is an understatement ,went home nearly in tears ,told the wife ,withdrew the remainder ,gave most to her and put the rest in savings accounts for the kids.In a year I had gone from a max 100 punter to losing over 20k on a football match.

In hindsight it may be the best thing to happen to me ,I came back a month or two later with renewed concentration and a willingness to accept  a red when needed.

I went full time Jan 2004 ,the pre PC days were amazing for me.By full time I was doing both golf tours most week,18 hour days min Thurs,Fri and 12 hours min Sat ,Sun.If there was a snooker tournament on it was 7 days a week.

I have gone on a bit ,apologies but now to the question.I cannot do anywhere near what I could back then.PC 1 was ok,PC2 killed it for me but luckily I had had the good years.

The first a ONE OFF thread turned out to be my pinnacle ,I won 24k and paid 945 in commission.I have never came anywhere near to that amount since ,maybe once I have won 10k+ in the 10 years since.

I tried Purple ,got banned.Dropped on a way to beat a bot ,turns out the bot must have been Purples ,how was I supposed to know ?

I'm now down to the 4 majors and maybe 10-15 Euro events ,it's a hobby although my wife tells me I am now working for BF.Had my best week in a long time last week ,won 6.3k,BF will take 4k ish of that so I suppose she is right.

Gone on a bit ,count myself very very lucky to have dropped on BF early.

I have a file of all golf I have covered since 2004 ,rather large file with small write ups for every day.I might read it one day.

The answer to your question is it can't be done these days, not sure the fast pic boys get that much in Europe these days.
Report Total Bosman June 17, 2019 4:49 PM BST
Nice write up Frames, hard to believe the legendary Eddie win was 9 years ago now.  I was gutted to lose 3k that week, looking back at the figures my total for that year at that point was still more than I've done the last 18 months.  Betfair boom years are gone and they ain't coming back, and you just need to look at the forum regulars on this thread who are a distant memory to see that.  It's strange that exchange betting has gone backwards when it's the best value way to bet, but I guess the general public just haven't been won over.

Certainly the days of laying and laying and laying are gone, as are the days you could back or lay to big stakes knowing you could trade out when things moved your way.  These days if you pick off a big one you know you could be stuck with it so it's either risk averse or boom and bust, and personally I know I've become a lot more risk averse since the days of huge liquidity.  I got almost no action going on Pebble, spent most of it bored to tears.

Looking at my spreadsheet, the peak was 2011 (for obvious PC reasons), then a steady year on year decline until 2016, but year on year improvements since then, hard to say if that's me adjusting my approach or any significant change in the landscape.
Report therhino June 18, 2019 12:56 PM BST
Good read frames, thanks for posting.

I don't know why exchange betting hasn't exploded, I figure it's simply too complicated for average Joe. I've tried explaining what I do to plenty of mates who love a punt - nails on a chalkboard. Feel like I'm explaining grade 2 maths to adults and they just don't get it. Only ever managed to fully convert one former workmate who loves me for it, he's now an accountant, was studying to be one at the time.

Have often wondered why they don't advertise the product, I suppose because how do you explain it in 25 seconds when regular users who know the product better than the staff can't explain it properly in 10 minutes.
Report Sports Fan June 18, 2019 12:59 PM BST
Thank you for the write up frames and for taking the time to answer the question.  I kind of figured that that must be the case these days but it does seem a shame.  You would have thought there could be a decent business model for allowing exchange bets to be taken and only a "reasonable" amount of commission to be taken off the winners.  Does it really cost betfair all that much now to run the exchange?? Wouldn't it be better to take a smaller cut from a much larger turnover....I guess only they know the answer to this and it just can't be the case, else they'd do it.  Taking 4k off you for a 6.3k just seems ridiculous...it's too punitive...and the reason why the big players don't seem to be about now.  When you look back at the old threads, there were some good characters on here, you could win big, you could lose big...that seemed to be the beauty of the exchanges at first....until they decided, you can't win big!!

It actually amazes me still how the regular punter out there is still oblivious to what betfair is.....lads that bet nearly every single day of their lives will have never heard of it...I have stopped even explaining these days as people just don't seem to understand/or want to understand it.  I see lads with their Skybet or Bet365 account and will happily bet on anything...thinking the price they are offered is the only price available in the whole industry.

I know we sound like old dinosaurs  but it was way better back then...you risked your own money and you won or lost your own money...why that couldn't continue to be the case, I just don't understand.
Report donny osmond June 18, 2019 2:26 PM BST
ironic that the premium charge was rolled out as a way of funding advertising that would be
promoting the exchange to non users.

then with in months betfair.com default was to direct to sports book.
Report saxon farm June 20, 2019 6:24 PM BST
A great read frames. Thanks for posting.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 17, 2019 7:32 PM BST
any plans for a repeat this year?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com