Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Plechy
23 Jan 13 23:35
| Topic/replies: 377 | Blogger: Plechy's blog
Most of us have had many bets we’d rather not be reminded of, ones that made us cringe and felt sick about for days and maybe weeks on end. But what one bet stands out for you as the biggest regret? The one where you wish your PC keyboard had seized solid at that very moment when you went to click ‘back’ or ‘lay’?

C’mon let’s share the collective pain of the experience before moving on again.

I’ll start the ball rolling with my personal horror story.

It happened only last Monday night, when I recklessly blew £1,100 by laying the correct score of 0-0 at odds of 12.0 for £100 in the Southampton v Everton live Sky TV game for £100.

It was about 10 minutes into the match that I made that foolish mistake, encouraged by Southampton’s swashbuckling start under their new Argentine manager. If Saints’ early enterprise didn’t produce a goal, then I felt sure Everton would maintain their impressive away record. Either way, I was convinced it wouldn’t end goalless. Both teams were at full strength, with Everton looking to climb nearer towards the Champions League berths and
Southampton seeking safer waters further above the relegation zone. The home team obviously had a point to prove to their new boss, too, so no-opne would be holding back.

Needless to say, both sides created a hatful of chances for it to have ended 4-4 but, as we all know to our cost, near misses don’t count and as the clock ticked agonisingly towards 90+ minutes, I’d blown a large hole in my betting bank that left me with a balance of £400+.

I had actually lost more (£1,229) just a week or so earlier with another correct score lay in the Barcelona v Espanyol match. Barca romped into a 4-0 lead by half-time and just before the break I laid them at odds of 13.0 to win £100. Although obviously gutted that they didn’t add to their tally and no second half goals were scored, I could at least on this occasion I could blame the blind linesman (maybe I do him a disservice and he had in fact backed 4-0?) for wrongly disallowing TWO perfectly good Pedro goals for alleged offside. TV replays confirmed that both second half Barca goals should have stood.

Anyway, enough of my self-pitying. What losing bet caused you most angst and (if you can bear the agony), please share the full gory details with us.

Thanks in anticipation...
Pause Switch to Standard View One bet you most regret having
Show More
Report FINE AS FROG HAIR January 24, 2013 1:13 AM GMT
With respect Plechy, the real horror of your tale of woe is the fact that you made a wager with a potential liability of 1100 pounds when apparently your bank was only 1500 pounds.
The wager itself doesn't sound that bad, but the money mgt. sounds just horrible.
We all make bets that seem wise at the time but go pear shaped for whatever reasons.
But I can honestly say that I have never exposed such a large percentage of my bank to any one wager.
I hope that is the " hard" lesson you have learnt.
Report Coachbuster January 24, 2013 2:35 AM GMT
i think mine was tonight plechy  , over 1k down the drain laying the 5-1 result for what ever reason  Cry

so that was my last 60 days profit up in smoke in 90 minutes lol ,after what was already my poorest ever 60 day run .

Hope you are well finefrog  Cool
Report askari1 January 24, 2013 5:13 AM GMT
The loss I feel worst about is always my most recent medium-to-big sized loss. Today I laid McBirney at 24-1 (one-paced animal, didn't think it would be favoured by draw) and lost in a race where I was only having a fun bet.

These losses always seem exceptional, freakish, acts of God.

I suspect they are rather integral to the way I usually bet. When I don't restrain it, my normal, casual style of betting leaks to bf; and it's only when I make an exceptional effort on races where I've invested the time that I have any sort of edge.
Report tiger33 January 24, 2013 7:03 AM GMT
did overs in a rugby league match back in 2005,i think its was 48.5,i had £500 on it at 2.04,leeds rhinos scored in the last seconds under the posts to make it 47 points in total with kick to come,i upped my bet by £1000 to win another £100 thinking kevin sinfield (leeds kicker) will never miss this,to my horror as i watched the srceen on sky barrie mcdermott the prop forward took the ball off sinfield to take the kick,it was his last match for leeds before he retired so they let him have a go and the tw@t missed.
Report TheVis January 24, 2013 9:07 AM GMT
I remember the Barrie McDermott missed conversion very well as you say it would in normal circumstances have been a nailed on overs once the try was scored.
Report 1.01 Layer January 24, 2013 10:06 AM GMT
Reading the score on a crappy internet basketball feed as 68 when it was 58 and sticking £900 on overs with 30 seconds to go.

No complaints though as I know I've collected on plenty of 1.01 lays where the other guy must be absolutely seething.
Report Plechy January 24, 2013 10:34 AM GMT
Some humdingers there already, so thanks chaps for sharing. Consider your pain and anguish shared. And by sharing we realise that we all make silly moves from time to time.

tiger33: The McDermott missed try is one of those freakish divine interventions that just cannot be legislated for. Whereas what I did (as FAFH has quickly pointed out - thanks for that!) was an act of pure madness on my part. As 'Fine' says, a harsh lesson learned.

Coach: I was watching Swansea v Chelsea while keeping an eye on the score at The Emirates. Sometimes it's the best you DIDN'T do that can frustrate as mich as the ones we actually place. Saw West Ham went in front and my first instinct was to lay them, and also lay 0-1 at the same time. But, still feeling torched by recent losses, I reasoned to myself that as I wasn't watching the Arsenal game (and having been let down by them at Bradford of late, where they were awful), I should not get involved.

The philosophical reaction from 1.01 Layer is often what is required to ease the sufering in these situations.

Keep 'em coming...
Report SIR_Bond January 24, 2013 11:39 AM GMT
World Cup

England Algeria

England will hammer Algeria surely. 2k Bet think it ended 0-0

the over played play boys couldn't beat the part timers
Report CLYDEBANK29 January 24, 2013 4:15 PM GMT
Getting in the car and doing a 20 mile round trip to back Yuri Borzakovsky for the 800m, get home and find out hes withdrawn through injury.  One of many sickeners over the yearsCry
Report Templeton Peck January 24, 2013 4:36 PM GMT
Laying McIlroy in the 2011 US Open when he had a large lead.  Had done the same in the Masters (when he went into the final round four shots ahead and then shot an 80) and had a good win but lost every single penny of it in the US Open thinking he'd fall back towards the pack.

Think I lost around 15% of my bank.  I was willing to lose the amount I'd made on him in the Masters, which is an amateurish way of measuring a max loss.  It's that part which annoys me most.
Report no taxi`s no slog`s January 24, 2013 6:08 PM GMT
Lynch Cry
Report viva el presidente! January 24, 2013 8:17 PM GMT
not a loss, but the bet I most regret having was a few years back on an arsenal game. someone had a bot running that was dripping money into 7+ on the total goals market at a totally wrong price, so I spent all day taking it in bits, then laid it back for a choice of a free 3.5K interest in 7+ goals or about 150 all green.

kept nagging at me all day that actually arsenal were well capable of doing that , but decided to play "safe" and laid out the remainder pre-KO. then watched the goals rain in from the first whistle.

when the 7th one went in I shut the laptop and went down the pub 150 quid up, feeling as gutted as if i'd had a big loss.

daft, I know.
Report FINE AS FROG HAIR January 24, 2013 8:38 PM GMT
Hard to generate much sympathy for that " opportunity " loss VEP.
But we all know the feeling I'm sure.
It's hard to take a profit sometimes.
I've done it so many times in the sharemkt. that I'm pretty immune to that particular feeling of loss by now.
Report tiger33 January 24, 2013 10:33 PM GMT
same here not a loss but a regret.put £30 on jenson button to win a race some years back at 750-1  thinking i,ll lay it off during the race,i got the chance to lay him off and win £490 when he was about in 6th or 7th but with no chance of winning,took the profit and was pleased with myself,then cars crashed and broke down and he went on to win his only race for that team,if i,d of left it i would of got £22500,suppose thats what happens when you trader and not a gambler.
Report viva el presidente! January 24, 2013 10:40 PM GMT
^ Shocked

christ Sad
Report maggot January 25, 2013 10:15 AM GMT
Does marriage count ?

Cost me a fekin fortune..  Cry
Report IC January 25, 2013 10:23 AM GMT
I was regularly doing £212 back bets on
Report IC January 25, 2013 10:24 AM GMT
I regret forgetting not to use a less than sign when posting on this ****g forum dammit
Report IC January 25, 2013 10:28 AM GMT
I was regularly doing £212 back bets on 'under 4.5 goals' on in-play football matches at (or shortly after) 0-0 HT. The typical odds would be 1.01 or 1.02 and £212 worked out as £2 profit after commission on a 1.01 back bet. I backed under 4.5 on the Mexico vs USA 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup final ~50 minutes at 1.02. What followed were 3 quickfire goals at '56 '62 and '67 for Mexico. I decided not to lay to cut my losses since I thought the game would be dead at 3-0 and I was looking at nearly a 50% loss if I did a lay. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal to me but I had also managed to fat finger my bet and I had staked £2122 rather than £212. I was riding the game out to the end or at least untill I thought a lay was a more profitable bet to make.

The game finished 5-0 to Mexico with a sickening final minute goal that they really didn't need to score...
Report IC January 25, 2013 10:36 AM GMT
I also had a horrible Basketball bet where I staked heavily on an 'under X points' outcome. This market includes any possible overtime which I was aware of. The bet was appealing to me because it required nearly 80 points to be scored in the 4th Quarter to lose, or overtime. The match was heavily in favour of 1 team. They had nearly a 20 point margin, were the pre match favourite and were trading at 1.01 in match odds.

I can't recall the game in question right now (NBA), but the losing team went on an amazing run in the 4th and managed to force overtime, busting my "safe" unders bet. I can't remember if the 1.01 match odds bet was busted too, I seem to think the favourites rallied and won in overtime.

It usually takes one of these "remarkable" situations for me to have a bad losing bet.
Report henok January 25, 2013 2:28 PM GMT

Jan 25, 2013 -- 4:15AM, maggot wrote:

Does marriage count ?Cost me a fekin fortune.. 

LaughLaughLaugh

Report Steamship January 25, 2013 2:42 PM GMT
Rugby Spread Betting.
A loss of 1k when selling Bradford over Hull for £20 a point Hull got hammered by 60+ only my stop loss account helped but it was a bad Saturday night.

The RL gamne Leeds Bradford at Millenium when the penalty in the final minute hit the bar and went for a try though cl;early offside.

I think number1 goes to the P Harrington spread bet in a Euro tournament, he was well clear after the 3rd day and I was sure to collect £360 but he forgot to sign his card, the bet was not voided and I lost £350
Report xmoneyx January 26, 2013 2:39 AM GMT
£500 bet

1995 world championship of golf which later turned into WGC Accenture matchplay championship

couples 4/5 v Barry lane

lumped on couples--thought Xmas came earlySad

Barry lane went on to win $1,000,000 tourney
Report patrick starr January 27, 2013 7:04 PM GMT
IC 25 Jan 13 10:36 Joined: 25 Jul 09 | Topic/replies: 88 | Blogger: IC's blog
I also had a horrible Basketball bet where I staked heavily on an 'under X points' outcome. This market includes any possible overtime which I was aware of. The bet was appealing to me because it required nearly 80 points to be scored in the 4th Quarter to lose, or overtime. The match was heavily in favour of 1 team. They had nearly a 20 point margin, were the pre match favourite and were trading at 1.01 in match odds.

I can't recall the game in question right now (NBA), but the losing team went on an amazing run in the 4th and managed to force overtime, busting my "safe" unders bet. I can't remember if the 1.01 match odds bet was busted too, I seem to think the favourites rallied and won in overtime.

It usually takes one of these "remarkable" situations for me to have a bad losing bet.

Really? Just sounds like standard mug punting tbh.
Report catflappo February 3, 2013 12:10 PM GMT
Sold Michael Schumacher season points at sporting index the year he finished every race on the podium and broke the record for most points scored in a season.
Report Darlo Bantam February 3, 2013 12:39 PM GMT
Just one?!
Report Boozle February 4, 2013 10:56 PM GMT
Lost £1,100 or so backing a 5th goal in that Barca game like the OP.

But my real sickener was when I lost a grand on an under 5.5 (and lost by the 60th minute) in a game between two teams in Spain that averaged something like 1.5 goals per game between them. Only placed the bet to pass the time.
Report Boozle February 4, 2013 10:59 PM GMT
As an aside, I scare myself how I can just take big 3 figure loses now and not even be that bothered. I remember when I used to lose £25 and be gutted Tongue Out
Report DRAGON DANCER February 5, 2013 6:17 PM GMT
http://i47.tinypic.com/2qtzdle.jpg

800 quid bet on the basketball last night on the Kings +6.5, they were ahead 7 pts ahead with 3 or 4 minutes remaining, obviously feeling rather confident then, but overtime happens and the Kings lose by 7 points. Bothering me today I must admit. Deserve no sympathy obv as it was a mug bet when unable to sleep. Lesson learned.

Also lost 2 grand on the golf at the weekend laying Gallacher, had big greens on Sterne and Olesen, again mug decision not getting my stake back during final round. Poor few days :P wasted good greens trading the snooker aswell.

The Open last year maybe the worst I've ever felt after a loss, had some good chances to win good money on Sunday, Tiger was the jackpot for me, McDowell also good for me, Scott even, Snedeker even, but Ernie winning was a disaster for me, ended up losing near 2 grand. Couldn't afford that kind of loss at the time. Painful day that one, sort of day you think you'll never gamble again... ha.

Luckily I do have winning bets too, and on an incredible run the last 5 weeks so it's all good, gotta learn from these mistakes. Blowing near a grand on something I know NOTHING about when unable to sleep is a mistake I won't make again, hard not to hate yourself after things like that
Report 3setpoints July 9, 2013 9:00 PM BST
loads, but recently backed Serena to win Wimbledon Cry
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com