Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gin
10 Nov 12 18:50
| Topic/replies: 4,266 | Blogger: Gin's blog
All the games I have looked at this week (starting with the CL games midweek) have had an 8 second bet placement delay.

Even tonights Villa / Man U game is 8 secs. Is this a new policy?
Pause Switch to Standard View 8 seconds delay on football bet...
Show More
Report Contrarian2 November 10, 2012 9:57 PM GMT
Gin,

Increasingly, that's how Betfair are handling the big games. Probably a good thing - there have been a few cases of hoovering lately.
Report ebasson61 November 11, 2012 10:08 AM GMT
Personally I can't see any definite criteria that is being used to decide whether a match is five seconds or eight seconds. It would be good if they set down some written rules so that we all know either way.

A case of sh*t or get off the pot.
Report Bish Bosher November 11, 2012 10:16 AM GMT
I would like to see the un suspend button on permanantly Devil
Report CONER November 11, 2012 11:23 AM GMT
Not sure whitch is best,but the 8 secs makes it boring,sometimes it seems like with 8 secs there are very few players,and not a lot changing hands.5 secs seems more exciting and more money moveing around
Report Gin November 11, 2012 2:16 PM GMT
Contrarian2
10 Nov 12 21:57
| Topic/replies: 93 | Blogger: Contrarian2's blog
Gin,

Increasingly, that's how Betfair are handling the big games. Probably a good thing - there have been a few cases of hoovering lately.

I didn't realise about the hoovering - was that in Premiership games?

I remember we discussed this topic a few months ago when BF started increasing the delay, but it only seemed to last for a couple of weeks and then went back to the normal 5 seconds.

I see that todays City v Spurs game is also 8 seconds which seems strange given that the game is live on the radio. Last night's game was also on the radio and the suspend seemed to come in as quickly as ever.

I agree with Coner - It seems like there are less players in the market but I couldn't say eith certainty. It would be interesting to know the comparison between money matched on 8 second games to 5 second games (I think we also discussed this before but can't remember the upshot).
Report TheInvestor2 November 11, 2012 3:41 PM GMT
Yeah Gin, hoovering in EPL as well. There was a match a few weeks ago where I got done for £5k (Betfair refunded). Then last week there was another case of EPL hoovering, where I got a big chunk taken on the right side (for me), either by chance or a hooverer got it wrong, this was also voided. There was a French game yesterday with a late suspend too. I've seen it a lot.

I definitely prefer 8 seconds, the hoovering is too much of a disruption. Effectively, you don't know your position after hoovering has taken place.
Report Gin November 11, 2012 3:51 PM GMT
Just to clarify investor, was the hoovering on live sky/ESPN matches?

I am assuming that if it was, it was down to a delayed suspend rather than someone having a time advantage?
Report Andriy November 11, 2012 4:11 PM GMT
I think the big hoovering this week was the Spurs-Maritimo game on Thursday (ESPN), when Spurs scored straight after half-time, and one of the BF suspenders took too long a half-time toilet break, and the suspension was very very late.
Report FINE AS FROG HAIR November 11, 2012 4:23 PM GMT
Investor
How can a hooverer actually get something wrong ?
Report TheInvestor2 November 11, 2012 4:34 PM GMT
Yeah Gin, late suspend.
Report TheInvestor2 November 11, 2012 4:34 PM GMT
FINE AS FROG HAIR 11 Nov 12 16:23 Joined: 12 Mar 07 | Topic/replies: 5,286 | Blogger: FINE AS FROG HAIR's blog
Investor
How can a hooverer actually get something wrong ?

Simply by pressing the wrong button!
Report Gin November 11, 2012 4:45 PM GMT
It amazes me that BF can't find someone to press a button within a couple of seconds for the big TV games.
Report Andriy November 11, 2012 5:16 PM GMT

Nov 11, 2012 -- 10:23AM, FINE AS FROG HAIR wrote:

InvestorHow can a hooverer actually get something wrong ?

Late offside flag, or sees ball in net not realising it's offside (tries to react quickest to wipe out the money).
In cricket, ball is caught in outfield and sniper doesn't realise no-ball has been called.

Report FINE AS FROG HAIR November 11, 2012 7:04 PM GMT
Andriv and Investor.
Thank you for that.
Not being a hooverer, in fact not ever betting in play, I'm still in the land of the innocent.
Report CONER November 11, 2012 10:47 PM GMT
The way betfair is performing at the present time,stay as you are.
Report acc November 11, 2012 11:10 PM GMT
Must be because of people at the games with 4g mobiles.
Report Gin November 18, 2012 2:00 PM GMT
Today's Millwall / Leeds game is back to 5 seconds Crazy
Report Andriy November 18, 2012 4:27 PM GMT
But have Spanish games increased to 10 seconds (looking at the Deportivo Levante game this morning)? Doing it on a country by country basis is fair enough, if English games go back to 5 as indicated above. What would be nice though is to trigger a zero delay during the halftime interval, which wouldn't be so difficult would it?
Report Gin November 18, 2012 5:15 PM GMT
Bizarrely the Fulham Sunderland game is 8 seconds CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy
Report Coachbuster November 18, 2012 6:22 PM GMT
this is the price to pay for dishonest people , a BF burglar alarm if you like
Report Contrarian2 November 18, 2012 7:17 PM GMT
Real Madrid was 8 seconds last night, and there was massive hoovering on 2 of the goals.

The Deportivo Levante game earlier today was actually 9 seconds, which was a bit odd.
Report Mr.Angry November 18, 2012 8:44 PM GMT
I've been telling Betfair for the last 4 years about this.  They reckoned 8 seconds was enough.  It never was.  At least 12 seconds required on Spanish.  10 seconds on some English games (hoovering in WBA v Chelsea on Chelsea on 8 secs).
Report TheInvestor2 November 19, 2012 4:31 PM GMT
^
I think it would be better if Betfair opened a small satellite office in spain, or found another way to get fast feeds.
Report TheInvestor2 November 19, 2012 4:31 PM GMT
Maybe Spanish analogue radio?
Report sweetchildofmine November 19, 2012 4:36 PM GMT
someone mentioned cricket..the DRS has scuppered a lot of hooverers as some decisions are overturned on appeal
Report CONER November 23, 2012 1:13 AM GMT
8 secs just a joke
Report Coachbuster November 24, 2012 7:43 PM GMT
no ,it's not a joke - it's to stop theft  and pilferers

are you hooverers ?
Report the big bossman November 24, 2012 9:45 PM GMT
9 secs on bet v real on now
Report Darlo Bantam November 25, 2012 1:46 AM GMT
I've seen high profile games - normally Champions League and Premier League - where I know a goal has been scored between three and five seconds before the market is suspended. And this is happening regularly, almost with every goal in televised matches. If it's three to five seconds for me sat at home, those at the game are in prime position.

Perhaps a long delay is necessary. But it would be nice for the markets to be regularly suspended in time especially on high profile matches.
Report sweetchildofmine November 25, 2012 11:40 PM GMT
there are erratic suspends..if youve ever worked in an office you will know theres intermittent banter

''so where you off to tonight?''
''oh thought i mite pop into the cross keys for a...oh feck a goal.....SUSPEND''
Report CONER December 23, 2012 8:44 PM GMT
8 SECS STUPID SUSPENDS KILLING THE INRUNNING.
Report curlywurly December 24, 2012 11:41 AM GMT
Betfair always have seemed very reluctant to protect the layers/market makers.
It's like they're going to get 60% back off the hooverers anyway, so what's the big deal?

Sports such as NFL, NBA and particularly the NHL are a hooverers paradise.
If betfair want a fair game, so no-one gets hoovered, NFL and NBA delays should be 10 secs and NHL 14 secs, but betfair don't want a fair game, they want matched bets.
Report Coachbuster December 27, 2012 1:35 PM GMT
why does it taker an eternity for the suspend sign to appear (at least 2-3 seconds) ?

does the suspend sign take time to make it's way to the screen or something ?
Report CONER January 7, 2013 12:42 AM GMT
Well BARCA V ESPAN 9 SECONDS.
EVERY GOAL THAT WAS SCORED MARKETS WERE SUSPENDED IMMEDIATLY
SO why drve all players away with 9 secs.
Could it be that it favors BETFAIR TRADERS.
The person in charge of the suspend button was brill to-night.
NO one hoovered--3 secs would have been ok.
But no one was playing---WHY.
Report southcoastvillain January 9, 2013 7:49 PM GMT
Does anyone know what the delay was on the Bradford - Villa game was?
Report GAZZAGINOLA January 9, 2013 10:34 PM GMT
Alright southc. Hope your still in good form?!

Was an 8 second delay in Bradford Villa game.

Has everyone noticed how the markets are all getting suspended when a goal has been scored, loads more quickly than what was the case around 2 months ago??
2 months ago, the ball would cross the goal line on tv and then or maybe a second after the market would suspend. Recently, the market is suspending before the tv pictures show the ball crossing the goal line. The suspensions are more in line with the radio commentary now which defo wasn't the case not so long back!!!
Report southcoastvillain January 9, 2013 11:11 PM GMT
Thanks Gazza

All good so far this year...hope you've got off to a good start.

Yes I've noticed the faster suspensions which I'm all for.
Report ebasson61 January 10, 2013 7:00 PM GMT
Yesterday's match between Chelsea v Swansea was back down to 5 seconds. Seems totally random what suspension period they choose.
Report GAZZAGINOLA January 11, 2013 3:41 PM GMT
Glad things are still going well southc. So far so good here 2 thanks. If the next 20 days go as well as the 1st 10 in Jan, i'll be looking at my best month since going full time. As we all know though, things can soon change!!! Good news bout the quicker suspensions 2.

Thats interesting ebasson, i didn't play the Chelsea game but i thought that 8 seconds was now the standard and that 5 seconds was a permenant thing off the past. Maybe not?!
Report Darlo Bantam January 11, 2013 3:44 PM GMT
As we all know though, things can soon change!!!

Quite. My best month turned into a red month.
Report GAZZAGINOLA January 20, 2013 9:15 PM GMT
GAZZAGINOLA Date Joined: 01 Sep 09
Add contact | Send message When: 11 Jan 13 15:41 Joined: Date Joined: 01 Sep 09 | Topic/replies: 504 | Blogger: GAZZAGINOLA's blog
Glad things are still going well southc. So far so good here 2 thanks. If the next 20 days go as well as the 1st 10 in Jan, i'll be looking at my best month since going full time. As we all know though, things can soon change!!! Good news bout the quicker suspensions 2.

Darlo Bantam Date Joined: 27 Mar 07
Add contact | Send message When: 11 Jan 13 15:44 Joined: Date Joined: 27 Mar 07 | Topic/replies: 8,352 | Blogger: Darlo Bantam's blog
As we all know though, things can soon change!!!

Quite. My best month turned into a red month.

Darlo, we were both right. I've had an absolute disaster of a day....worst in my betfair history and Jans gonna end up a red month!!!
On Jan 10th, i was +1109
At the start of play today, Jan 20th i was up to +1767
Then today....

Soccer: -£2,212.70 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  -£2,212.70 

Soccer Showing 1 - 6 of 6 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Soccer / Valencia v Real Madrid :    13.02
Soccer / Atl Madrid v Levante :    5.34
Soccer / Tottenham v Man Utd :    -1,111.00
Soccer / Chelsea v Arsenal :   -400.76
Soccer / Alemannia Aachen v B Munich :   -444.01
Soccer / Chelsea v Arsenal :   -275.29

and another -487.59 to come from the crazy Madrid game. Leaving me on -932.75 for January.

Not the end of the world but infuriating after 19 solid days! Today comes along and i well and truly lose my head after a couple of early goals in the Chelsea game and then proceed fcuk everything up instead of just accepting a relatively small loss. A great example of what happens when you chase and how you can p*ss away a good months profits if ever there was one. Always learning or at least trying to!!!
Report Darlo Bantam January 20, 2013 9:48 PM GMT
I feel for you Gazza. That looks exactly like what happened to me last September. I managed to lose the best part of a month's profit in three days. And the losses were confined to one football match - overstaking - and a few horse races - chasing, chasing and then more chasing.

As long as you learn from it, then I hope you recover. Best of luck mate.
Report GAZZAGINOLA January 23, 2013 6:46 PM GMT
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words Darlo. Hopefully i will learn from this and make a recovery of sorts. In the past year i've had 3 similar weeks where i've lost over 1k but then instead of chasing or losing my head even further, i've then proceeded to tighten up and make a decent profit for several weeks in a row and recover my losses. But this week, i just kept going and going and ended up in a very dark hole!!!

Its only my 2nd losing week in the last 16 so i cant really feel to sorry for myself i guess but the sheer size of the loss (- £2830 on the day, -£2312 for the week) has made a massive dent in my profits and so i'm feeling the pain. Hopefully enough for me to think twice before not just accepting a small red and then chasing, chasing and chasing some more!!

Its hard to make money on here but very easy to lose it. I need to try and remember this more when a trade goes against me. I know its easy to say after the events but a £400 loss sparked a loss of £2800. I could have stopped with the £400 loss and still bin in a nice postion for the month but by bin stupid and greedy i end up with a minus month. Just when you think you've learnt lessons from the past, you get bitten on the arse, ha!!!

I take it you made a full recovery from your mishap in September???
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com