Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
JPG
13 Nov 09 22:32
| Topic/replies: 182 | Blogger: JPG's blog
About a year ago, I was having a little rant on a NFL game thread (about coaches being too conservative on 4th downs) even though the NFL "consensus" backs up the coaches view and not mine.

You mentioned I should read "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis which is based on similar lines but with baseball. Well, Ive finally got round to reading it and cant thankyou enough as it was a fantastic read!

I had actually indirectly read parts of it before (in other books, newspaper extracts etc) so I had an idea of it before I even read it but still, plenty of good stuff in there. The same author wrote a great article about the "credit crunch predictors" so I knew the writing style and so on were going to be good.

Although nothing to do with betting on the surface, the parallel's are significant. I must admit, I find it hard to believe that as recently as 2002, there were so many MLB teams still operating the "old" way. Thanks again for the reco!

P.S

I still think Im right about the 4th downs! :)
Pause Switch to Standard View Calling Lori....
Show More
Report Lori November 14, 2009 4:45 AM GMT
Glad you enjoyed it, i always fear when I mention something like that that I saw it a different way to everyone else. Appreciate you letting me know too :)
Report Lori November 14, 2009 4:47 AM GMT

Although nothing to do with betting on the surface

It's likely I said at the time something similar... the best book about gambling I've read and it's not even about gambling.
Report JPG November 15, 2009 12:05 AM GMT
No worries.

I personally think they probably went slughtly too far with their new found dogma. No doubt that they were definitely onto something huge but cant help but think that it needed a little refining as I sensed genuinely usefull players (even those who were undervalued outside Oakland) were being overlooked by them too. To be fair, this was some years ago so this might have happened by now.

Im still a little curious as to why Oakland were so open about it to the author as well - why let the cat out of the bag?

My NFL theory has nothing to do with recruiting players but a football theory of mine might do. The Posh were looking for a young new idea manager earlier this week - I should have applied. :)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com