Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
dr . atkins
07 Nov 21 14:06
| Topic/replies: 35,769 | Blogger: dr . atkins's blog
but ole still at the wheel
Pause Switch to Standard View dean smith sacked
Show More
Report tobermory November 7, 2021 2:54 PM GMT
That's a shocker
Report SontaranStratagem November 7, 2021 3:44 PM GMT
Pretty much saved them over his time there esp the playoff promotion season
Report Ibrahima Sonko November 7, 2021 4:00 PM GMT
Madness.
Report lurka November 7, 2021 4:09 PM GMT
Been coming for while. 18 PL losses this year. Been awful since Grealish got injured end of Feb. 5 losses in a row and the manner of them has been very poor.
Report cricketnut2 November 7, 2021 4:25 PM GMT
Thats because they were a 1 man side, Jack Grealish and changing manager won't help them.
Report GoBallistic November 7, 2021 4:30 PM GMT
Would be nicely played by John Terry if he now got the job
Report snowynoon November 7, 2021 4:39 PM GMT
very harsh ,they have some new signings which look promising ,and were desparately unlucky to lose that Wolves game when cruising ,shouldve been given more time .
Report sofaking November 7, 2021 6:58 PM GMT
He has spent an absolute fortune 9even taking the Grealish sale into consideration) over the last few years. One of the highest net spends in world football. Think he's taken Villa as far as he could.
Report 1st time poster November 7, 2021 7:31 PM GMT
they want fonscecca before someone else gets him
Report Coachbuster November 7, 2021 8:29 PM GMT
100m doesn't buy a lot ...ask Fulham lol
Report Racingqueen November 7, 2021 10:31 PM GMT
Purslow is an absolute bluffer as well. Villa have pi55ed some amount of cash down the drain over the last 3 seasons.

Fully deserved the sack

Massive spend and 5 losses in a row. Major chance of relegation with no change
Report Racingqueen November 7, 2021 10:32 PM GMT
300mill on a squad who have the waft of mercenary about them.
Report HallGreenSpy November 8, 2021 10:48 AM GMT
Very harsh imo
Report brians November 8, 2021 11:41 PM GMT
The age old problem here is that no matter if they are all Klopps and Peps the structure of a league system is that some teams will be near the bottom. Somebody gotta go, skill is irrelevant.
Report Corky November 9, 2021 1:02 AM GMT
I'd give big Sam a go at it.
Report sofaking November 9, 2021 2:19 AM GMT

Nov 9, 2021 -- 1:02AM, Corky wrote:

I'd give big Sam a go at it.

You're not bothered about the rancid brand of football his teams play?

Report SontaranStratagem November 9, 2021 3:05 AM GMT
He has spent a lot of money but unless your Norwich it’s par for the course

He got them out the sh!t when they were in the championship, part of that was probably Grealish granted but Bruce had them mid table at the time of his appointment with Grealish as well
Report ffaith November 9, 2021 10:36 AM GMT
He got rid of 2 important members of his backroom staff and the football suffered.  Against West Ham  I was surprised their main weapons were the hoof ball and the long throw.  Anyway even with Grealish I thought they were a sly, dirty team.
Report CLYDEBANK29 November 9, 2021 11:11 AM GMT
The main reason for the poor form is injuries.  They've already started 20 different players this season and that doesn't include 2 long term players.  Only Matty Cash has started every game.  In midfield and attack Ings Watkins Bailey El Ghazi Luiz McGinn Ramsey Traore Chukky Sansom and Trezeguet all had injuries or illness this season.  Nakamba is the only one who's been available for every game and he's not really PL quality.  Leeds and Everton also struggling because of injuries.  West Ham otoh.  Same team every week.  It makes a huge difference. 

They also seem to be struggling to find a formation that fits the new signings.  I think that's the main reason that Smith has got sacked.  Bit like MU.  Too many attacking players.
Report Corky November 9, 2021 3:00 PM GMT
"You're not bothered about the rancid brand of football his teams play? "

Not in the slightest. I have practically given up watching football due to the play it out from the back, tippy tappy
stuff everyone plays now.
Report Racingqueen November 9, 2021 4:46 PM GMT
The problem for Smith is that UK fans think the manager still spends money.

Transfer fees are so high nowadays that no club would solely trust an individual to properly spend that amount of cash.

Villa/Purslow have wasted massive transfer fees on pretty average players over the last 3 years and Smith is the fall guy

The problem for clubs like Villa is that they can afford transfer fees but not the astronomical wages top players demand so they end up paying top dollar for Grade 2/3 players who will at best get them mid table

I'd rather clubs would spend 50mill on training grounds/youth structures/scouting than on some tin pot mercenary
Report CLYDEBANK29 November 9, 2021 5:01 PM GMT
"I'd rather clubs would spend 50mill on training grounds/youth structures/scouting than on some tin pot mercenary"

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2021/10/11/aston-villa-join-forces-with-academy/
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-academy-plan-brookvale-20024982
http://www.avillafan.com/33774/aston-villas-academy-success-is-no-coincidence/
Report CLYDEBANK29 November 9, 2021 5:04 PM GMT
Jacob Ramsey Carney Chukwuemeka Philogene-Bidace and Cameron Archer all played this season in the PL and all products of the academy
Report CLYDEBANK29 November 9, 2021 5:09 PM GMT
tbh I don't think any of the recent signings have been bad.  They barely had a team when they got promoted.  The misspent money was in the previous ownership.
Report SontaranStratagem November 9, 2021 9:16 PM GMT
Losing Grealish won’t have helped either, but the owners only need look at Derby to know what he did, that 2019 win was massive and had they lost they were in deep sh!t so he deserves massive kudos for that turn around
Report layingisthewayforward November 9, 2021 9:41 PM GMT
Looks like Stevie G has got the villa job.
Report G Hall November 9, 2021 10:49 PM GMT
I thought Dean Smith was doing a good job, what do these owners expect?
Report Racingqueen November 9, 2021 11:08 PM GMT
not to lose 5 in a row after spending 300 mill?
Report G Hall November 9, 2021 11:13 PM GMT
It's only 5 games
Report Racingqueen November 9, 2021 11:23 PM GMT
Jacob Ramsey Carney Chukwuemeka Philogene-Bidace and Cameron Archer all played this season in the PL and all products of the academy

Cameron Archer spent last season on loan at Solihull Moors and Caleb Chukwuemeka at Corby town ffs

Hardly Emile Smith Rowe and Reece James Laugh
Report Racingqueen November 9, 2021 11:30 PM GMT
its mad. English managers can lose as many as they want aka Steve Bruce and media will defend them. Smith spends 300mill, loses 5 in a row and its poor Dean...

Xisco gets Watford promoted, has them in 15th spending buttons and not a bean from the talking heads when he gets the tin tack
Report lurka November 10, 2021 8:33 AM GMT
It's not 5 losses, it's 18 in 35 PL matches this year and the performances this season in particular. Some of it can be excused when Grealish was out for a few months towards the end of last season but not this season when he's brought in players to replace Grealish and the team has looked completely out of sorts lately. The teams the've lost to/manner of the defeats in the last 5 games is nowhere near good enough. The owners want improvement and they've gone downhill continuously since February.
Report G Hall November 10, 2021 9:44 AM GMT
"Gone downhill continuously since February"

Like Manchester United
Report Racingqueen November 10, 2021 11:42 AM GMT
Theres an interesting dynamic with managers now in football in that when performances go downhill, the manager is quick out the door.

Not talking about Dean Smith but I do see some managers who now seem to be taking advantage of this. Throw toys out of the pram, lose the dressing room and get massive payoff and head off on holiday.

Who wouldn't love a big payoff for doing no work. 2 or 3 rounds and you get 8 figure payoff based on reputation alone
Report SontaranStratagem November 10, 2021 10:33 PM GMT
I’m no longer of the opinion that it’s just the players now though

Managers and coaches need to coach and motivate them, a good motivator motivated himself, and with coaches that can coach them will get the best out of them

Dean Smith it’s been said on here lost some of his coaches? That wouldn’t have helped either
Report SontaranStratagem November 10, 2021 10:37 PM GMT
“A man can’t lead if he doesn’t believe in it himself” the trick is to trick yourself into believing it and then it becomes real, others will buy into it then

If you don’t believe in yourself (ala ole at United) how can you expect 25 other blokes to believe in it
Report SontaranStratagem November 10, 2021 10:39 PM GMT
That’s why Mourinho was so good pre 2010s, he spoke a load b0llocks but believed in it
Report HallGreenSpy November 10, 2021 10:40 PM GMT
He still does
Report SontaranStratagem November 10, 2021 11:04 PM GMT
Not so sure about that hallgreenspy

He seems worn out nowadays and that will eventually pass on to the players
Report HallGreenSpy November 10, 2021 11:22 PM GMT
Still talks shyte ss
Report SontaranStratagem November 10, 2021 11:25 PM GMT
But he says it with no real conviction is my point

He comes across as a man who no longer believes in his own spew

The players probably find him quite pitiful as well
Report HallGreenSpy November 11, 2021 12:08 AM GMT
Yeah agree with that. Like us, he probably stopped believing a while back. Still gets the gigs and the compo that goes with it though tbf.
Report LoyalHoncho November 11, 2021 5:56 AM GMT
In my view the "motivation" of players is not the job of the manager, that's the job of the fat salaries that each player is paid.  In other words, player motivation is down to each player himself.  What the manager has to do is create the culture within that creates that self-motivation and has the players bouncing into training on a Monday morning desperate to impress and play in the next match.  Then keep repeating and refreshing the process by making demands on players and having replacements on hand to reinforce their need to keep delivering.  Every so often Jock Stein would drop/rest a big name who thought his spot was safe and sacrosanct.  It was amazing how their game would sharpen up thereafter.
After a run of convincing a player that he is the best in the business and needs to give his best the line wears off and then so does the performance level.  And the very worst thing any manager can do, in my view, is make excuses for players in post-match interviews.  Once they start down that road it is only a matter of time.
Report jimnast November 11, 2021 10:19 AM GMT
gerard new boss at villa
Report CLYDEBANK29 November 12, 2021 3:30 PM GMT
Cameron Archer spent last season on loan at Solihull Moors and Caleb Chukwuemeka at Corby town ffs

Quite what Carney's brother has to do with it I've no idea.  But tbh that sums up your lack of attention to detail
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com