Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
themightymac
05 Nov 21 16:46
| Topic/replies: 31,333 | Blogger: themightymac's blog
Who is the best goalkeeper that you have ever seen?

One nominee only please.

I`ll start.

Sepp Maier (Bayern Munich & West Germany)

Had the honour of watching him live on at least half a dozen occasions and he was the greatest I`ve ever seen.

Not saying he was the best ever, the question is the best one has seen.
Pause Switch to Standard View Best Goalkeeper Ever
Show More
Report second again November 5, 2021 3:53 PM GMT
Gianuigi Buffon for me.
Report TameTheTiger November 5, 2021 4:04 PM GMT
Ray Clemence playing for Liverpool
Report The Dragon November 5, 2021 4:08 PM GMT
if its best ever seen then that limits the choice . Shilton for me class act and very underestimated.

Honurable metions to Peter Schmiechel,Jim Montgomery that save!!!, Gary Sprake (made some amazing saves at Anfield) Peter Bonetti not- never forgiven him for 1970 world cup v West Germany)
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 5, 2021 4:08 PM GMT
I thought Gordon Banks but
the more I watched the more
I thought it was Pat Jennings.

Buffon was great, but the games changed
since banks/jennings

And the new Italian keeper Donnarumma looks good
of the current crop,.. Time will tell.
Report Lance in France November 5, 2021 4:28 PM GMT
I'm with the above poster - Pat Jennings
Report Scamp the man November 5, 2021 4:29 PM GMT
Pat Jennings the best i ever seen ...watched him most home games for 5/6 years before he went to Arsenal
Report LesterLad November 5, 2021 5:26 PM GMT
Shilton as a youngster at Leicester, unbelievable.
Report FatPunt November 5, 2021 5:29 PM GMT
Peter Schmeichel and I'm not even a Utd fan.
Report peckerdunne November 5, 2021 5:42 PM GMT
Paddy Cullen
Report REDROB November 5, 2021 5:42 PM GMT
Schmiechel.

Best brit Pat Jennings.
Report themightymac November 5, 2021 5:54 PM GMT

They say this chap was the best but I have never seen him playing, apart from on tv.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 5, 2021 6:04 PM GMT
Lev yashin? He changed the
way goalies played.
Report Tiger Tiger November 5, 2021 6:06 PM GMT
1. Lev Yashin
2. Dino Zoff
3. Gordon Banks.
Report themightymac November 5, 2021 6:09 PM GMT
Correct yhtl.

I remember on This Is Your Life for Gordon Banks they said that Mr Yashin had recently lost a leg and couldn`t make it so appeared via a video link. Then near the end he appeared from behind a curtain with Eamonn Andrews saying, "Surprise, surprise Gordon. Lev Yashin has hopped on a plane and is here".
Report themightymac November 5, 2021 6:10 PM GMT
He was a fantastic keeper indeed.
Report rommel November 5, 2021 6:11 PM GMT
gota have decent name to be a goalie,simon shotstopper is underrated for bognor,chris cleansheet at dover is great
Report akabula November 5, 2021 6:24 PM GMT
Pat Jennings.
In Scotland it would be Andy Goram.
Report Scamp the man November 5, 2021 6:28 PM GMT
Andy Goram ...still had the best football chant ever ..'there's only two Andy Goram's
Report Scamp the man November 5, 2021 6:28 PM GMT
Andy Goram ...still had the best football chant ever ..'there's only two Andy Goram's
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 5, 2021 6:28 PM GMT
Lol
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 5, 2021 6:28 PM GMT
Lol
Report akabula November 5, 2021 6:30 PM GMT
Laugh
Report akabula November 5, 2021 6:30 PM GMT
Laugh
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK November 5, 2021 7:04 PM GMT
Oliver Kahn was the best IMO
Report FatPunt November 5, 2021 7:30 PM GMT
I would recommend 'The Outsider' by Jonathan Wilson. A brilliant read that covers this subject. Anything by Wilson is a must-read, to be honest.
Report sixtwosix November 5, 2021 8:37 PM GMT
Andy Goram was a superb keeper ....at 18 he was Oldham's first choice keeper....he got lots of practice in those days.

For me , Peter Shilton in the late 70s early 80s is best keeper I have seen.
Report sparrow November 5, 2021 9:20 PM GMT
As has been said earlier Lev Yashin has to be up there as an all time great.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 5, 2021 11:16 PM GMT
Jennings was great but surely Schmeichel was just unbelievable and must be the best ever.
Report Capt__F November 5, 2021 11:28 PM GMT
close

but his manager let him down
Report antony_27 November 6, 2021 4:15 PM GMT
Never saw him play but Bert Trautmann must be one of the all time greats for playing on in that Cup Final with a busted neck Grin
Report sparrow November 6, 2021 5:22 PM GMT
I remember Trautmann in that final so well.  Just an incredible feat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceYW9YpqN10
Report themightymac November 6, 2021 6:22 PM GMT
Was he not a POW during the war and stayed in UK when it finished?
Report antony_27 November 6, 2021 7:36 PM GMT
There was a film released at the cinema in 2018 about Bert Trautmann ironically called 'The Keeper' has anyone on here ever seen it?
Report sparrow November 6, 2021 7:38 PM GMT
Yes he was mac.
Report sparrow November 6, 2021 7:40 PM GMT
Bernhard Carl "Bert" Trautmann EK OBE BVO (22 October 1923 – 19 July 2013) was a German professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper for Manchester City from 1949 to 1964.

In August 1933, he joined the Jungvolk, the junior section of the Hitler Youth. Trautmann joined the Luftwaffe early in the Second World War, and then served as a paratrooper. He was initially sent to Occupied Poland, and subsequently fought on the Eastern Front for three years, earning five medals, including an Iron Cross. Later in the war, he was transferred to the Western Front, where he was captured by the British as the war drew to a close. As a volunteer soldier, he was classified a category "C" prisoner by the authorities, meaning he was regarded as a Nazi. One of only 90 of his original 1,000-man regiment to survive the war, he was transferred to a prisoner-of-war camp in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Lancashire. Trautmann refused an offer of repatriation, and following his release in 1948 decided to settle in Lancashire, combining farm work with playing goalkeeper for a local football team, St Helens Town.

Performances for St Helens gained Trautmann a reputation as an outstanding goalkeeper, resulting in interest from Football League clubs. In October 1949, he signed for Manchester City, a club playing in the country's highest level of football, the First Division. The club's decision to sign a former Axis paratrooper sparked protests, and 20,000 people attended a demonstration. Over time, he gained acceptance through his performances in the City goal, playing in all but five of the club's next 250 matches.

Named FWA Footballer of the Year for 1956, Trautmann entered football folklore with his performance in the 1956 FA Cup Final. With 17 minutes of the match remaining, Trautmann suffered a serious injury while diving at the feet of Birmingham City's Peter Murphy. Despite his injury, he continued to play, making crucial saves to preserve his team's 3–1 lead. His neck was noticeably crooked as he collected his winner's medal; three days later an X-ray revealed it to be broken.

Trautmann played for Manchester City until 1964, making 545 appearances. After his playing career, he moved into management, first with lower-division sides in England and Germany, and later as part of a German Football Association development scheme that took him to several countries, including Burma, Tanzania and Pakistan. In 2004, he was appointed an honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for promoting Anglo-German understanding through football. Trautmann died at home near Valencia, Spain, in 2013, aged 89.
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 7:40 PM GMT
Yashin revolutionised how goalkeepers played

he is also the only keeper to win the ballon d'or

on the other hand he had a mare at Chile 62 (though he may have had concussion)
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 7:44 PM GMT
Trautmann might have won a world cup medal in 1954 tooo but germany wouldn;t ick players based abroad
Report sparrow November 6, 2021 7:47 PM GMT
A miracle that Germany won it in 1954 as Hungary were easily the best team in the world at that time.
Report sparrow November 6, 2021 7:49 PM GMT
he 1954 FIFA World Cup Final was the final match of the 1954 FIFA World Cup, the fifth World Cup in FIFA history. The game was played at the Wankdorf Stadium in Bern, Switzerland, on 4 July 1954, and saw West Germany beat the heavily favoured Golden Team of Hungary 3–2.

The 1954 final is often listed as one of the greatest matches in World Cup history, and also one of its most unexpected upsets. Beyond football, some historians ascribe the match a lasting impact on both German and Hungarian post-World War II history, contributing in West Germany to a sense of regained international recognition after the lost Second World War and denazification, and in Hungary to discontent with the communist-authoritarian regime in the run-up to the 1956 Hungarian revolution. In Germany, the 1954 final is known as the Miracle of Bern (German: Wunder von Bern).
Report antony_27 November 6, 2021 7:56 PM GMT
Wasn't there like a 24 stone goalkeeper back in the old days called 'Fatty' Foulke or something similar?
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 7:57 PM GMT
Hungarians wallopped Germany in the group stages...but Germany didn't play their styrongest XI

stories about Germans using drugs in the final

that was the only tournament the magical magyars played in

they didn't enter the 1950 tournament and many of the players had defected by 1958

no european championship back then
Report sparrow November 6, 2021 7:58 PM GMT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Foulke_(footballer)
Report sparrow November 6, 2021 8:03 PM GMT
I remember when they came to this country at a time when we were unbeaten at Wembley and they thrashed us 6-3 and everyone was saying we would get revenge in a return game in Hungary but we lost 7-1. I was only 6 years old but remember everybody here being totally shocked at the way they beat us.
Report Tiger Tiger November 6, 2021 8:14 PM GMT
4. Gianluigi Buffon
Report irishone November 6, 2021 8:29 PM GMT
Lev Yashin
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 6, 2021 8:31 PM GMT

Not him^^^^
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 6, 2021 8:32 PM GMT

Might be him^^^
Report irishone November 6, 2021 8:38 PM GMT
I have the program of that match sparrow, one of my grandad's brothers was a coach in Hungary and years later he went to a presentation by Puskas in which he was thanked profusely by the Hungarian F A. Google him "Jimmy Hogan football coach"  not too much said about him because he was Irish but his warm ups were legendary and they looked like a bunch of circus performers prior to the game. They were all doing keep uppys with their own ball. They beat England by getting Billy Wright out of the middle at the back. Wright was told to  stay with him so heguti  (not sure about spelling) dropped deep and Wright followed him to the half way line. Big hole in behind and the rest is history. Lot of people never knew about Jimmy Hogan but he was the first to go over there and learn from them .
Report irishone November 6, 2021 8:44 PM GMT
" is sometimes credited with the revolution in European football that saw Hungary thrash England 6–3 at Wembley in 1953, ushering in a new football era. After the match, Sándor Barcs,[8] then president of the Hungarian Football Federation, said to the press, "Jimmy Hogan taught us everything we know about football."[9] Gusztáv Sebes, the Hungarian footballer and coach, said of Hogan, "We played football as Jimmy Hogan taught us. When our football history is told, his name should be written in gold letters"
Report ffaith November 6, 2021 8:52 PM GMT
1. The great Dane.  The one that played for the  mancs(blue and red)obvs
2. Before the Irish err thug "accidently" stuck the boot in I thought Per Cech was a great keeper
3.  Manuel Neuer in his pomp he seemed to fill the goal with his bulk
Report irishone November 6, 2021 8:53 PM GMT
Yasmin didn't use gloves
Report irishone November 6, 2021 8:54 PM GMT
Interesting that he has them in that photo......
Report irishone November 6, 2021 8:54 PM GMT
*yashin
Report irishone November 6, 2021 8:57 PM GMT
Loads of photos on the internet of yashin using gloves, I wonder if he was the first to use them ?
Report akabula November 6, 2021 8:58 PM GMT
Most images of Yashin on here show him wearing gloves.
Report Coachbuster November 6, 2021 8:58 PM GMT
Buffon for me ,has to be someone from the last 10-20 years

yesterdays footballers were shockingly poor back then and those old goalies wouldn't stand a chance today  .. but Shilton was always a good watch at his peak ,he won Forest a title  .
Report Tiger Tiger November 6, 2021 8:59 PM GMT
Amadeo Raul Carrizo is allegedly the first keeper to use gloves, in Argentina way back in the 1950's.
Report Coachbuster November 6, 2021 8:59 PM GMT
Schmcheichell senior an honourable mention of the old school
Report Coachbuster November 6, 2021 9:01 PM GMT
now all the outfield players are wearing gloves even in the middle of a heatwave  ...25c  on one occassion Laugh

i blame Michael Jackson
Report akabula November 6, 2021 9:07 PM GMT
I remember Billy Ritchie (Rangers) wearing a bunnet.
Report irishone November 6, 2021 9:16 PM GMT
Cheers tiger didn't know that ......was told it years ago but can't find pics of Yashin playing without gloves . Palace had a player wide left who played without shin pads in the eighties, word got round and eventually he changed his ways. Totally illegal now isn't it ?
Report irishone November 6, 2021 9:33 PM GMT
The myth that England were unbeaten at Wembley until that game is also bollox sparrow.
Saturday, 9 April 1949 Home International Championship 1948-49 (54th) Match England 1 Scotland 3 [0-1]
Empire Stadium, Wembley Park, Wembley, Middlesex Kick-off (BST): 3.00pm. Attendance: 98,188.
Report irishone November 6, 2021 9:35 PM GMT
31 March 1928 - England 1 Scotland 5 [0-2]
Empire Stadium, Wembley (80,868)
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 9:38 PM GMT
Hungary were the first "foreign" team to win at Wembley
Report Capt__F November 6, 2021 9:40 PM GMT
1st of many
Report akabula November 6, 2021 9:44 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7sOY5_lyl8

The next Len Yashin?
Report akabula November 6, 2021 9:45 PM GMT
Oops Lev.
Report irishone November 6, 2021 10:52 PM GMT
9 May 1951 - England 2 Argentina 1 [0-1]
Empire Stadium, Wembley Park, Wembley (99,000

28 November 1951 - England 2 Austria 2 [0-0]
Empire Stadium, Wembley Park, Wembley (100,000

26 November 1952 - England 5 Belgium 0 [2-0]
Empire Stadium, Wembley Park, Wembley (68,333)

25 November 1953 - England 3 Hungary 6 [2-4]
Empire Stadium, Wembley Park, Wembley (100,000)

What a fantastic myth .........England unbeaten at Wembley against foreign countries....before the Hungary defeat

Consisted of three games won 2 drawn 1

Beaten all over Europe and the UK as well......... But Hungary were the first ever team to beat them at Wembley WAFLOB
Report irishone November 6, 2021 10:56 PM GMT
On 21 September 1949 at Goodison Park, Liverpool, the home of Everton, England were defeated 2–0 by Ireland in a friendly international. As a result, Ireland became the first foreign team to beat England at home.
Report irishone November 6, 2021 10:57 PM GMT
Some of the myths perpetuated by the beautiful game lol
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 11:11 PM GMT
England played a fair few home games against continental sides (Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium, France)

for some reason these were mostly not played at Wembley, often they weree played at Highnury or White Hart Lane

not sure what the reason was

I suppose you could say "Hungary were the first team other than the Home Nation, and the Irish Free State, to beat England at home"
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 11:13 PM GMT
even the famous game against Italy in 1934 was not played at Wembley

England didn't play all their Home Championship games at Wembley either back then
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 11:19 PM GMT
pretty sure that Ireland team would have been referred to as "Eire" in the match programme

the IFA (Northern Ireland) team was called "Ireland" in all matches until the 1950s, and continued be called "Ireland" in the British Home Championship until the 1970s
Report irishone November 6, 2021 11:20 PM GMT
Ireland , Scotland and Wales all beat England in the home international championship prior to 1953
They weren't that good a team, they failed to enter the first three world cups and got beat 1-0  by the USA in 1950.
They won at the Olympics with an amateur team in 1908\1912 
The myth would have you believe that the game started in the UK
BUT AGAIN ......there is evidence of football being played  in China, Australia and America before the English came along and started the first  association  and drafted the rules.
All part of the myth "football's coming home"
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 11:22 PM GMT
in 1949 both the FAI (Dublin) and the IFA (Belfast) referred to their teams as "Ireland"
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 11:23 PM GMT
football was invnted in Italy mate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcio_Fiorentino

the romans had a ball game too called harpastum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpastum
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 11:25 PM GMT
seems like for a long time Wembley was used used only for the annual Scotland game
Report Giuseppe November 6, 2021 11:26 PM GMT
biannual
Report irishone November 6, 2021 11:29 PM GMT
Giuseppe • November 6, 2021 11:22 PM GMT
The contents of this post have been hidden for this blocked user. [Manage blocked users]
Report• Quote Giuseppe • November 6, 2021 11:23 PM GMT
The contents of this post have been hidden for this blocked user. [Manage blocked users]
Report• Quote Giuseppe • November 6, 2021 11:25 PM GMT
Report• Quote Giuseppe • November 6, 2021 11:26 PM GMT
Report irishone November 6, 2021 11:31 PM GMT
Wonder when the forum idiot giupesty  will realise
That if he can't tolerate discussing racism
I won't tolerate discussion with him
Report irishone November 6, 2021 11:32 PM GMT
The mug has been warned  !   LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report Giuseppe November 7, 2021 12:05 AM GMT
there are two g's in mugg mate
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder