Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
portmanpark
21 Jun 19 10:45
| Topic/replies: 7,671 | Blogger: portmanpark's blog
I was for but now seeing it in action it could ruin football.AGAINST
Pause Switch to Standard View VAR for or against
Show More
Report G Hall June 21, 2019 11:03 AM BST
Definitely against goal line technology is adequate.
Report morpteh mackem June 21, 2019 11:14 AM BST
agree with above post re gl technology. gone too far . people make mistakes its part of life , players don't get a second chance ( stirker misses an open goal, keeper fumbles a shot )  , neither should refs/linos.
Report Aspro June 21, 2019 11:22 AM BST
I'm still for and will wait for the conclusion of the 19/20 season. If they don't iron out the obvious flaws then will probably change stance
Report morpteh mackem June 21, 2019 11:30 AM BST
aspro, think authorities have said its an irreversible process
Report Aspro June 21, 2019 11:32 AM BST
If people get turned off they'll change mm
Report morpteh mackem June 21, 2019 12:04 PM BST
would hope so
Report GoBallistic June 21, 2019 12:33 PM BST
In all sports, I'm against anything that is a judgement call / not instantaneous
Report leazes67 June 21, 2019 1:08 PM BST
Against..anyone who's been to a pro game will know it's all about the passion and human mistakes will always be made,VAR will not eliminate those mistakes.
Report Pandoras June 21, 2019 1:12 PM BST
Works in cricket and if debateable umpire decisiom is upheld.

This hasn't been the case in football, it is so slow, they have to watch loads of times then basically tell the ref to watch it loads of times and change their mind.

Glad i only watch a non league team, but would gladly give up my season ticket if it was brought in at my team. So slow and not able to see at ground. Everything would be a penalty or re-take if they look close enough.
Report donny osmond June 21, 2019 1:57 PM BST
i was against it, but goal line tech works well, offside should work well too.

they have clarified hand ball laws, so VAR should work better

they can check for goalies stepping off line at pelanties, and encroachment too.

they still, imo, should have margin of error where refs first view stands.

its going to be rubbish for fans in grounds unless improvements to screens
and process are made.....who cares about the fans ?
Report duncan idaho June 21, 2019 2:04 PM BST
doesnt help when they have an epileptic on the rewind button like the other night...nor does it help when they change the rules (handball, pens, offside) at roughly the same time VAR is being introduced, particularly when most of those rule changes make no sense
Report Rider June 21, 2019 3:33 PM BST
I was against VAR when it first came in and still am, the BF rules have cost me and its difficult sometimes placing bets when i dont know how far delayed the feed is and then can sometimes not know if i'm on or not given bets are voided, also BF have an annoying habit of closing a market when a 'goal' is scored but not reopening it when VAR rules it out, or taking 10 minutes to do so.

From a football pov i'd also prefer not to have it but it actually doesnt work too badly in the 2 years I've watched it in other leagues, offside has improved a lot. Of course the odd decision is strange but I'd say 9/10 for penalty decisions I can call it as its much more consistent even if you disagree with how say handball works. It takes a lot away from the game that goals cannot be celebrated the same so entertainment drops but thats the price for consistency that everyone calls for week in week out.
Report roache June 21, 2019 4:40 PM BST
I think VAR can be a good thing but certainly not the way FIFA have implemented it but there is no turning back now for the elite level and if FIFA continues down the route they have taken then in a few years every single decision by the ref will be reviewed by VAR,personally i do not like goals being disallowed because the strikers big toe was offside from VAR looking at offside from an imperfect angle or penalties being re taken when struck wide of the goals because the goalie went a fraction too early and VAR catches the goalie inches not feet of the line so my choice at this moment would be against  using VAR.
Report ian merseyside June 21, 2019 6:00 PM BST
I would rather we just had goal line technology and no VAR, but it's too late now and no going back.  The passion has been taken out of the game for scoring a goal as you don't know if it will be allowed or not.  It's the same when betting and backing goals, you hold your breath in case VAR is needed.  A further problem is that VAR won't stop here.  Once it's been bedded in for a couple of seasons, it will be used for corners, throw-ins, fouls, yellow cards etc.  It will eventually become like American football and a 3pm kick off won't finish until after 5.
Report morpteh mackem June 21, 2019 6:05 PM BST
is that 5pm or 5am ?
Report Des Pond June 21, 2019 6:30 PM BST
As far as I'm concerned, it has been disastrous. Can hardly believe so many people are still advocating it.
Report duffy June 21, 2019 6:50 PM BST
Against......from a punting perspective it's just a horrible situation when you just have to hold fire after every decision.
Report duffy June 21, 2019 6:52 PM BST
I can take a bad decision for the opposing team going against me far better than getting a goal or penalty award being taken away from my team.
Report TheGoldenVision June 21, 2019 7:24 PM BST
Against.

Fans still talk about "was it, wasn't it" 50 years after the '66 World Cup final, "Hand of God", Thierry Henry and his blatant scooped hand ball goal, etc,etc. VAR ruins the hot debates. It may get everything stone cold correct but that's not passionate football.

I may change my mind if they alter a couple if rules...

1. No offside if any part of the attackers body is onside and
2. Ball to hand equals no foul.
Report morpteh mackem June 21, 2019 7:32 PM BST
soccer saturday will be in meltdown every week next season
Report Darlo Bantam June 21, 2019 9:19 PM BST
Against. Against. Against.

Only benefit is goalline technology. Rest is just a catastrophe.
Report sparrow June 22, 2019 9:19 AM BST
Probably because of rule changes over the years I find it hard to decide about VAR. The offside rules certainly need looking at as do a number of others but I doubt everyone can be satisfied.
Report duncan idaho June 22, 2019 10:03 AM BST
The Forum has spoken...SCRAP IT  Angry
Report DirkDiggler June 22, 2019 10:28 AM BST
As I predicted, it is an absolute disaster. It has completely taken over the game. Even though GLT works brilliantly, I was against it because I knew it would open Pandora's box and lead to this shambles. What began as 'clear and obvious' errors has become, as it was inevitably going to, 'making it up as we go along' and 'totally subjective interpretation'. Basically the VAR team and ref and can interpret the game as they see fit.

Scrap it all immediately.
Report Blackrock June 22, 2019 11:29 AM BST
Def AGAINST.

As Golden Vision says - ball to hand should be no pen and any part of body onside should be play on. I have an issue with the authorities changing the rules too much and VAR is just an extension of that.

The unbridled joy at celebrating a goal will decrease the more decisions are sent to VAR. Game is going to the wall.Sad
Report StewB June 22, 2019 11:35 AM BST
Its gonna be a nightmare in the Premiership next season I don't think i will be laying 0-0 correct scores in the Premiership
Report Aspro June 22, 2019 11:37 AM BST
Already written next year's Premiership off. I'm just awaiting the outcome of it; hence why I'm prepared to stick with it for a while
Report DirkDiggler June 22, 2019 11:41 AM BST
The unbridled joy at celebrating a goal will decrease the more decisions are sent to VAR. Game is going to the wall.Sad

This has happened in the NFL with replay, I've been watching since 1982 and now I cannot properly celebrate a TD. And tt the end of every play I'm looking around the field for a yellow flag...
Report DirkDiggler June 22, 2019 11:41 AM BST

This has happened in the NFL with replay, I've been watching since 1982 and now I cannot properly celebrate a TD. And tt the end of every play I'm looking around the field for a yellow flag...
Report Nonaynever June 22, 2019 11:44 AM BST
I've been against it right from the start, seeing it in action I'm more certain than ever that it's just another nail in the coffin of the great game.

All seater stadiums, more women and kids in grounds, more corporate, players earning silly money, nice pristine pitches to play on, players coming out together almost arm in arm at the start of the match, every top team being choc full of foreigners, 20 matches a week live on TV etc etc.

Most people born in the last 30 years will see most of the above as improvements to the game or the norm at least, for me it's just turned it into a sterile bore and it's well past a tipping point.

I think the ultimate question to ask is this - Is football more exciting to watch with all these changes than it was before? I think anyone who's lived through pre and post will know the answer.

VAR has made it even worse, the spontaneity and excitement has been strangled out the game and it's a sad state. I said in one of the early VAR threads that whinging managers with selective memories have brought us to this, remembering the decisions that go against them and quickly forgetting the ones that go for them.

VAR in football will NEVER work.
Report Blackrock June 22, 2019 11:48 AM BST
Difference with the NFL is the commentators tell you a flag has been thrown within seconds. And depending where the flag was thrown tells you what the likely infringement might be.

Plus the NFL is such a stop/start game anyway with tv ruling the roost. VAR will be a bigger disaster than replay in NFL imo of course.
Report DirkDiggler June 22, 2019 12:00 PM BST

Difference with the NFL is the commentators tell you a flag has been thrown within seconds. And depending where the flag was thrown tells you what the likely infringement might be.

Plus the NFL is such a stop/start game anyway with tv ruling the roost. VAR will be a bigger disaster than replay in NFL imo of course.

Oh yeah it's worse in football. In football even less time will be spent with the ball actually in play because the time spent faffing over VAR is mostly lost, there's no way they'll ever play all the time lost at the end of both halves. And of course it's brought more controversy to football than there ever was before.
Report Hanx June 22, 2019 12:43 PM BST
Against - but you may as well try and knit soup as to try and stop the onward march of taking the game way from the fans.
Report sj June 22, 2019 12:53 PM BST
Against, but thought it was great in CL Final for the first two minutes
Report Aspro June 22, 2019 1:23 PM BST
Had to laugh at that sj Grin

I wonder how many on here was amongst those calling out for it before it was introduced. A good percentage I would guess.
Report ian merseyside June 22, 2019 2:06 PM BST
Good post Nonaynever.

How long before coaches are given a certain number of "VAR appeals" to use during the match. It will all add to the so called entertainment and drama.
Report kincsem June 22, 2019 3:51 PM BST
I am for VAR, but that does not stop referees trying to grab the limelight with horrendous interpretations.
Report morpteh mackem June 22, 2019 4:54 PM BST
that german goal there should be given offside
Report morpteh mackem June 22, 2019 4:54 PM BST
hmmmmPlain
Report roggrain June 22, 2019 5:02 PM BST
VAR has ruined the Women's World Cup for me.

But then what can we expect from the most corrupt sport's organization of all time (FIFA)?
Report TheAnorak June 22, 2019 7:01 PM BST
VAR is intended to assist in the accurate implementation of the laws, but given that the people 'in charge' have so much invested in its success, how long before they starting making changes to the laws to 'make VAR work better'.
Report sageform June 22, 2019 8:58 PM BST
There are times when I think it is a good idea but there are so many subjective judgements in football rules that no amount or replays can resolve them.

1. VAR can tell you for sure if a ball crosses a line so should be used.

2. If a foul is inside or outside the penalty area, VAR should be able to resolve any doubt, provided that the rule is clear about where a foul is committed?

3. Handball should be a clear yes or no. If it strikes an arm below the shoulder it is handball. Scrap this intent rule as it always divides opinion.

4. The interpretation of goalkeepers moving at penalties has changed the game as referees gave some latitude but VAR does not. The percentage of penalties scored should go up a lot if they persist with this strict rule about standing on the line.
Report mecca June 23, 2019 3:12 AM BST
I'm all FOR it... It's quite exciting waiting for the "verdict" to come through. Maybe not good for the ticker if you have a big bet on the match.
I do agree that they should show it on decent screens inside the stadium, so fans know what's going on. Hopefully it will stop the constant diving for penalties and the "big" clubs getting decisions go in their favour.
(I have been going to matches regularly since 1974)
Report Outpost June 23, 2019 9:39 AM BST
Nobody who loves football wants VAR.

It is ruining the game and has already proved that it is being used to help the teams that FIFA / UEFA want to go through.

Besides that last season in English and in European competitions, almost every VAR decision was wrong.

Replaying obvious dives in the box and then watching it being given as a penalty just spoils football for most people.

Just one more way for the authorities to guarantee that they get the teams they want to win.
Report mecca June 23, 2019 10:10 AM BST
So basically, the complete opposite of what I posted.
Report kincsem June 23, 2019 10:23 AM BST
Outpost
I love soccer and I am for VAR.
Did you do a survey of all football/soccer fans?
Report sofiakenny June 23, 2019 11:49 AM BST
Who decides what gets reviewed?..Scotland had a clear peno that wasnt even reviewed!!
Another way to let big teams prosper..France Usa will be hilarious.
Report morpteh mackem June 23, 2019 12:29 PM BST
also problem is refs will use it as a reliance tool ie no courage of convictions . ref in german nigeria game was hopeless, how 1st german goal isn't offside is incredible and how the penalty even needed to be referred was ridiculous .
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK June 23, 2019 5:49 PM BST
Can’t wait for next season
No 0-0 and draws
And going to be riots at every game
Report roggrain June 23, 2019 5:52 PM BST
What's happened in this game tonight (England vs Cameroon) is just the beginning. VAR is a Pandora's box and there will be huge problems when it

comes to the Men's game. The Women's World Cup hasn't just been marred by VAR it's been turned into a farce!
Report Rider June 23, 2019 7:51 PM BST
from the little i've seen of the wwc the officiating has been poor and VAR too compared to the week in week out stuff from the bundesliga etc so probably best not to use examples from this

was interested to see the female pundits implying that the best officials were not being used for the tournament (ie the men who officiate the top leagues), i think this is something women pundits can get away
Report Shrewd_dude June 23, 2019 8:24 PM BST
Against. It's in danger of creating a two tier sport where the rules are enforced completely differently in leagues and competitions where VAR is used to those that it isn't.
Report betting_masta June 23, 2019 8:34 PM BST
why does that matter shrewd dude?   it shouldn't affect the other competition. every competition is an individual entity.

people who are complaining about VAR are probably the same people who said "why have you invented a round thing , it won't work " when a bloke came up with the wheel. it's here to stay, it's a good innovation so get f****g used to it.
Report asparagus June 23, 2019 8:36 PM BST
VAR is a joke in so many ways. Along with the new interpretation of the handball law it's destroying football. You can only laugh at it now as it's a total embarrassment. I have no idea about the Bundesliga, but along with this Women's world cup, last years mens world cup along with this years Champions League was ruined by so many ludicrous decisions of which VAR played a massive part so you cannttput it down to these officials. For offsides it works pretty well though i'd still prefer to see a small margin of error if it's here to stay as I don't believe the technology is 100% accurate. For anything else VAR should be binned. Of course it won't be but then football as we used to know it is finished. The Championship will be much more enjoyable to watch than the Premier League next season when VAR is introduced.
Report Shrewd_dude June 23, 2019 8:40 PM BST
Because you're going to get daft situations like we are now. I've never watched a game where a  penalty has been retaken because the keeper moved off the line and I doubt I will ever see one. Now I've seen a couple in the last week because of VAR. It's daft to have a sport where the rules will be interpreted differently depending on what competition a player is currently playing in.
Report Rigsby June 23, 2019 8:43 PM BST
@asparagus
The standard of referees and linesmen in Championship is appalling IMO, and I say this as an ex ref
Report Shrewd_dude June 23, 2019 8:44 PM BST
* I doubt I will ever see one in a non VAR game.
Report roache June 23, 2019 11:00 PM BST
If VAR had proper guidelines for what it set out to do i.e. clear and obvious errors it may work however it is far too negative for the sport an example being in tonights Colombis match whereby Colombias 2nd goal was ruled out by VAR,the circs being that the Colombian forward was just inside the penalty box when he received a cross and controlled it on his thigh and in so doing the ball went upwards and ever so slightly glanced of his arm,this glance did not change the direction of the ball nor was there a defender within 5 yards of him and then he struck the ball on the half volley when the ball dropped to the ground and fired it into the net,great goal no Handball no intention of handball the ball did not change direction at any point and none of the opposition was even aware of this small glance from part of his arm then VAR get involved and the goal gets cancelled, is this what FIFA want to rule out perfectly good goals because they cannot bring in common sense rules as to what constitutes foul hand ball, to me FIFA are incompetent in administering the rules of our game.
Report betting_masta June 23, 2019 11:11 PM BST
look, VAR is supposed to ensure we get the right decision. how many times has it been used incorrectly? once? the keepers know the rule is yuo have to stay on your line. the offside rule is the offside rule. the only cloudy thing is the handbll rule which is open to interpretatin but it alwas has been. VAR is there to help the referees arrive at the correct decision and i along with pierluigi collina believe it's doing a fabulous job at helping the referees to do that. so for christ sake STFU about it
Report the bairn June 23, 2019 11:57 PM BST
the game today had 19 minutes of added on time because of VAR, it's getting as bad as American football, you'll need to take your dinner to the game. cheers.
Report roache June 24, 2019 12:28 AM BST
But this is why we don't STFU as VAR is a complete shambles and is not even consistent as in Womans world cup earlier this week own goal scored from an header with forward offside interfering with play thats why the defender went to head it,VAR over rule offside and give goal.
Today goal scored with a striker offside but never interfering with play or in the eye line of the keeper and VAR disallow the goal so in these 2 small samples VAR got both decisions wrong Pierluigi.
Report duncan idaho June 24, 2019 12:51 PM BST

sageform  22 Jun 19 20:58

3. If it strikes an arm below the shoulder it is handball. Scrap this intent rule as it always divides opinion

worked just fine for 120 yrs

cant ever remember any suggestion that actual deliberate seeking-to-gain-an-advantage handballs have become a serious problem in the game and yet here we are, using a sledgehammer to crack a nut and doing our best to turn the game into a lottery...sane people arguing that the ball accidentally touching someone's elbow or finger or whatever is worthy of a penalty kick is something i will never understand  Crazy
Report sageform June 24, 2019 7:29 PM BST
Worked fine without VAR.
Report differentdrum June 24, 2019 8:04 PM BST
In this tournament it has been a disaster.

Either the process is made much quicker or it should be scrapped. If a game goes to extra time you could be adding virtually 30 minutes on to 30 minutes. 

VAR will never completely eliminate controversy. You saw that with the second penalty for the USA. Some would have given, some not. Referee gave the penalty and probably didn't think there was enough in VAR to reverse the decision. Had she not given it she would probably have confirmed that decision.
Report Injera June 24, 2019 8:45 PM BST
Just use it for offsides and other line decisions (penalty in or outside the box).

NEVER use it for penalties. It will lead to more theatrical falls like today.
Report kincsem June 24, 2019 10:05 PM BST
I am getting fed up of penalties given for blasting the ball against the defender.
Report Panther65 June 25, 2019 8:21 AM BST
i think if they are going to keep it the way it is, then surely the time keeping of the match should be taken away from referees...there should be a clock / clocks in the ground that can be stopped immediately when the ref has to stop the game to go to the VAR telly...

i am all for getting the correct decisions, but what happened to the offside law when there was supposed to be daylight between the defender and attacker ??? i mean after all, that cameroon goal would have stood not so long ago...

i think there are many good points on here and i certainly agree with injera and roache on their points, and handball inside the box will aleways be contentious...

i do certainly like the idea of just using VAR for line decisions only, although in saying that, i think some of the challenges that have gone in in this tournament are far more deserving of a red card rather than yellow...and not meaning to appear sexist, maybe if some of the refs for these games had been men, then maybe some different decisions would have been made
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com