Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
16 Jul 18 01:27
| Topic/replies: 29,065 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
Was looking for an old thread to bump recently and came across...old threads, which reminded me of a lot of the one's I had forgotten about, anyway, now we're in no man's land, in between a World Cup and the new season, I thought this would be a good idea for a fred.

1.The xtranormal era 2011/2013 - videos made about forum posters, most were very comical, from memory the Money Tree and Alex’s 250/1 lay video in particular - a big shame this site ended and we can no longer see them, however there was a thread made on some of the one’s made, the mug calmug misspelt my name. http://community.betfair.com/football/go/thread/view/94070/29103239/xtranormal-clips?origpost_id=519403583&pg=1

2.Keys and Gray sacking from Sky early 2011 - videos were being drip fed on to youtube with off camera recordings of these two making disparaging comments about women, cue several dozen related threads and amusingly, the forum suddenly awash with pictures of T-shirts and mugs and whatnot with Keys’s face emblazoned with the words WOULD YOU SMASH IT Laugh took about a year before that died down.

3.Hornets suicide tweet threads “bombing through Horsham in the betfair ambulance” and “HE DOESN’T HAVE THE METTLE TO TOP HIMSELF” Laugh  the subsequent videos he posted on youtube were disturbing, think dawsey offered to threaten to fight him in the end.
http://community.betfair.com/football/go/thread/view/94070/28222921/your-mgic-moments-fro-the-hornets-fred?origpost_id=505673879&pg=1

4.Man United being KO’d of the CL by Real Madrid 2013 - the height of the ABU era, top 100 threads had a 5-6 minute gap with Anti United thread after Anti United thread and Roy Keane in the studio in meltdown over the Nani Red card, the forum r0ykeane disagreeing with the real Roy Keane was another highlight, I think that resulted in an identity crisis and has never been seen since.

5.The New pope betting thread that served up the best thread title I can remember by vive el presidente “anyone else balls deep in the next Pope” Laugh followed by the comment from redundant punter“I got a massive price on the fav. just worried the bookies might claim a papal error” Laugh

6.Devlin / Horseracineire15 - Irish autistic poster, bullied by people for being different - served up the best insult I’ve read when he called Dawsey “a ham sandwich” -  so lame it was funny, you had to of been there   tbhPlain had a different username every week (literally) and always signed off posts with "I'm outta here". The spats between him and Rod Hull/revengeofpaddy in particular were hilarious.

7.Calmoan exposed - the most bumpable thread there has been, made up bets on prices that were never matched and then dug a bigger hole with “I bet on the daq you fackwits” Laugh

8.zeze’s tipping thread, very rarely will you ever see a tipping challenge completed, think it was something like 1k to 10k, maybe I’m doing him a disservice.

9.The Derek McGovern threads, Over 2.5, joe39 and myself have recorded these, he posted 1 a day in the Mirror before eventually being given the boot, the worst tipster in a national outlet I’ve ever seen. The best thing about his column was the sorely missed joke of the day before finishing it off with “get on…..” many believe he moonlights on this forum by the name of Charwell, a fellow Liverpool fan.

10. Alex Towr laying Ryan Giggs to win SPOTY at 250/1.

11. The Special One (original one) 13 laptops.

I’ve probably forgotten some obvious one’s but they’re off the top of my head, feel free to add. Kind Regards.
Pause Switch to Standard View When did the football forum peak ?
Show More
Report mafeking July 16, 2018 3:22 AM BST
the night chelsea lost to barcelona when they should have had about 4 penalties and iniesta scored in the last minute. think first page of threads was 3 minutes from top to bottom
Report sofaking July 16, 2018 4:27 AM BST
Ha, I remember quite a few of those threads. Grin  The good ol' days of this forum.
Report sparrow July 16, 2018 7:25 AM BST
mesmerised    16 Jul 18 01:27 
When did the football forum peak ?

You would need to go back about 15 years to have witnessed that.
Report superjudge July 16, 2018 7:48 AM BST
funniest thing i read on this forum was a couple of days ago when you said that you did not think george best would be able to cut it in todays football.you are hilarious mesmerisedLaugh
Report If Dolphins Were Monkeys July 16, 2018 7:55 AM BST
Over a decade ago... didn't read or post very often but there were some quality regulars. Off the top of my head, thinwhiteduke, maverick, nashwan, cgull, Oosoul, awishaway, miguelmcfc, keanerolemodel to name just a few.
Report tobermory July 16, 2018 8:06 AM BST
I thought the peak was from about 2005/06 to about May 2010. I joined March 2008 but from the archives we used to have you could tell it was at a similar level of activity for at least a couple of years before.

A regular Barca or Real match against Getafe or someone would be a guaranteed 350 posts, same for a mid table PL game. 1,000+ threads common for big games.

The forum changed in May '10 and a lot of people were pissed off with it and quit. The posts were taking 20+ seconds to load and it rather screwed up match threads which never recovered to near same level as before, though things did get better in terms of loading. But it was absolutely instant load with old basic forum.

Of course though from May 2010 the same numbers of newbies were still joining as they did not know any better, so posting levels were perhaps just as high after the initial disruption caused by the change.

What killed the forum was the Bob Vegas era in first half of 2012. As he and some others were able to continually create new forum accounts (itself a flaw of the 2010 'upgrade'; it was tricky to get back on for banned people before that) Betfair's solution was to stop people joining altogether. They did eventually allow new members after about 6 months but the process to join is absurd and involves months of waiting and then months of emails and of course we may have 200 newbie accounts since 2012 when it was at least 50 new posters a month before.

So many have left and not been replaced. I did a study a year so back which found that posting levels were 15% of what they were in August 2012.

Of course many of the lesser forums have basically died.

As for it being at it's best 15 years ago I don't know. I did ask the old timers and they said it took a good few years to pick up from the founding in 2000.
Report morpteh mackem July 16, 2018 8:29 AM BST
think to revive it ,needs a fresh input of lunatics.
Report scaredmoney July 16, 2018 9:10 AM BST
i think zeze's was 200 euros to 20 k , all in every bet.

memorable stuff
Report donny osmond July 16, 2018 9:17 AM BST
it was good when you could change your user name by logging on incorrectly

when betfair fixed the bug some folk got left with odd user names ...
Report scaredmoney July 16, 2018 9:29 AM BST
none of them will load for me Cry ,some were very very good from memory Laugh
Report DIE LINKE July 16, 2018 9:31 AM BST
what was the story about someone who had some sort of syndicate of forumites but wasn't actually putting the bets on?
Report grayhawk July 16, 2018 10:40 AM BST
Think his name was foot soldiers Die Linke....apologies if i'm wrong
Report n88uk July 16, 2018 4:39 PM BST

Jul 15, 2018 -- 9:22PM, mafeking wrote:

the night chelsea lost to barcelona when they should have had about 4 penalties and iniesta scored in the last minute. think first page of threads was 3 minutes from top to bottom

Second this. Had actually written the same thing, until I saw the first response was literally what I was about to post.

Report n88uk July 16, 2018 4:46 PM BST

Jul 16, 2018 -- 2:29AM, morpteh mackem wrote:

think to revive it ,needs a fresh input of lunatics.

Only way to revive it is to open sign ups properly and advertise it. This whole way of signing up is ludicrous, and hardly anyone will bother to do that. You will never quite get it back to what it was. All message board type forums have seen a decline in the last 10 years as there is more choice and the new generation come up on social media. But if you take Tobe's 15% of action in 2012, I would guess on most forums this is more like 60% or so, and 15% actually sounds high to me tbh.

In theory a thriving forum is good business for Betfair's business, but they don't seem to see it that way for whatever reason, and do nothing to help the forum anymore.

Report JC1326 July 16, 2018 4:48 PM BST
the Xtranormal video's mad my gut hurt, and I didn't really know the posters at the time. Hearing the words ''dead cert alert'' and ''code: kerching'' out loud. The one where Dawsy(?) and some other kid go to Wrestlemania?

''papal error'' Laugh
Report JC1326 July 16, 2018 4:48 PM BST
*made*my gut hurt
Report n88uk July 16, 2018 4:49 PM BST
I assume the 15% is probably on actual # of posts. I suspect though you have much less than 15% of the users now, probably like 10%, just those that are left will post more. The forum moving to a live format makes people more inclined to post more, and you get much more reg chat threads now than you used to because gradually people know the people they are talking with more as it's virtually the same crowd day after day for 6 years.
Report Johnny_Mustang July 16, 2018 9:59 PM BST
‘5.The New pope betting thread that served up the best thread title I can remember by vive el presidente “anyone else balls deep in the next Pope” Laugh followed by the comment from redundant punter“I got a massive price on the fav. just worried the bookies might claim a papal error”

^ Glory days indeed. There was another thread by a guy called RS1 who hadn’t quite distinguished the difference between the back and lay buttons and royally did his conkers.
Report scaredmoney July 17, 2018 2:21 AM BST
JC1326 • July 16, 2018 4:48 PM BST
the Xtranormal video's mad my gut hurt, and I didn't really know the posters at the time. Hearing the words ''dead cert alert'' and ''code: kerching'' out loud. The one where Dawsy(?) and some other kid go to Wrestlemania?

''papal error''

Pretty sure it was "Dawsy and Calmoan go to Wrestlemania"

I cracked 2 ribs when i fell off a stool laughing so fkin much!!
Report guernseyw July 17, 2018 7:08 AM BST

Jul 16, 2018 -- 4:40AM, grayhawk wrote:

Think his name was foot soldiers Die Linke....apologies if i'm wrong

Sure was , all came to a head on with Lyon v Rangers champions league if I'm correct

Report jed.davison July 17, 2018 11:39 AM BST
I can confirm IDWM's recollection that thinwhiteduke was a great poster, sadly the rest of the people he names were all utter fools Laugh
Report If Dolphins Were Monkeys July 17, 2018 11:48 AM BST
LaughMischief
Report jed.davison July 17, 2018 11:56 AM BST
Especially nashwan
Report Callisto-moon July 17, 2018 12:04 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBzMZ4833m0
Report GoBallistic July 17, 2018 11:29 PM BST
2002-2003

This was around the time that everyone realised the wonder of the Next Manager market on an exchange - the unofficial World Betting Championships.  Knowledge of football not required

Particularly notable was the Next Republic of Ireland Manager market which ran for a few months and had probably a dozen odds-on favourites with the likes of Aldridge, Houghton, Robson, O'Neill, Reid, O'Leary attracting an apparently endless supply of lemming money.  Much of it was driven by the most relentless and shameless (and very funny) ramping the football forum has ever seen.  By the end, there were more runners in the market than the site could practically cope with at that time - I've a vague recollection that someone even managed to get himself added and laid.  It was such a shame when it finally ended and they appointed the youth team coach
Report morpteh mackem July 18, 2018 8:47 AM BST
Laugh
Report Callisto-moon July 18, 2018 9:19 AM BST
money saving experts invasion here in the goal scorer market.
Report morpteh mackem July 18, 2018 9:24 AM BST
was that to do with league cup final ? remember some recommendation  in the final, was it boro v bolton ? fundamentally flawed whatever it was.
Report Callisto-moon July 18, 2018 12:41 PM BST
cant remember thinkinh I remember Henry being one of the players involved.
The sheer mayhem when they had negative balances from what they thought was easy wins.
Report Callisto-moon July 18, 2018 12:41 PM BST
cant remember thinkinh I remember Henry being one of the players involved.
The sheer mayhem when they had negative balances from what they thought was easy wins.
Report Capt__F July 18, 2018 1:13 PM BST
let off the negative balances apparently
Report JC1326 July 18, 2018 4:03 PM BST
Most of these will still be out there? Just needing ''ttt''...ing
Report scaredmoney July 18, 2018 4:09 PM BST
wasnt it something to do with goalscorer betting and aomeone who didnt play?
Report morpteh mackem July 18, 2018 4:16 PM BST
aye, dont think it factored in people who didnt play .Grin
Report DIE LINKE July 18, 2018 4:35 PM BST
They went by the percentages at the top of the screen. They thought they were laying the field to make tuppence, but when the non-runners were removed it turned into reds of many thousands. Remember I got Ballack fgs at 120.0. Not sure who scored first though.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 18, 2018 10:06 PM BST
league final thread was a cracker people were laying the first goal scorer not realising that non-runners would be removed. There was even a thread on money supermarket.

Kofi and benefits was also a cracker.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 18, 2018 10:06 PM BST
league final thread was a cracker people were laying the first goal scorer not realising that non-runners would be removed. There was even a thread on money supermarket.

Kofi and benefits was also a cracker.
Report tobermory July 18, 2018 10:15 PM BST
The MSE thread is awesome.

Baffling though how a thread that is nothing to do with the Betfair forum is always voted the best thread we have had on here Crazy
Report crystalhunt July 18, 2018 10:27 PM BST
The football forum had it's darker days, particularly over Hillsborough. Thank God for the Hillsborough campaigners who fought for the truth and now it's only a few total bitters who persist with the Sun's version of events. Man united supporters complain about ABU's but imagine having to constantly defend your position in the face of vile hurtful lies. The forum is now a calmer place and banter has returned, only problem is the lack of numbers.
Report scaredmoney July 18, 2018 10:33 PM BST
anyone know what happened to bergkamp? was a decent poster
Report jamesdean July 18, 2018 11:00 PM BST
Went on holiday to Australia, he's still on the bus home.
Report Callisto-moon July 18, 2018 11:22 PM BST
Mr Winner and his side kick hardy eustace.
very weird people.
brace yourselves for a goal.
Report ronin4s July 19, 2018 2:12 AM BST
Eurovision used to be a good laugh on here too, problems began when they redesigned the layout and "Top 5" was removed from right hand column and Forum was hidden away on tabs at the top.
Report bigH July 19, 2018 3:32 AM BST
9 Nov 2010
Report onlooker July 20, 2018 10:36 AM BST
Most of the former Posters will have gone skint - so they are not here anymore.

Same on Horse Racing and Chit-Chat Forums.
Report donny osmond July 20, 2018 11:36 AM BST
The MSE thread is awesome.

Baffling though how a thread that is nothing to do with the Betfair forum is always voted the best thread we have had on here

there was a thread on here live in running on mse antics

so very much part of forum

i think some from mse got it removed from here?
Report Johnny_Mustang July 20, 2018 11:50 AM BST
Anyone from Huyton want to go halves on a Setanta subscription?
Report DirkDiggler July 20, 2018 12:19 PM BST
Laugh

I remember that one.
Report bigH July 20, 2018 9:39 PM BST
The footy and chitchat forums used to be genuinely funny

Some intentional, some totally unintentional.

I regularly used to be in tears laughing at some of the posts

The betting calamities of Money Tree and Mr Winner were comedy gold
Report loui July 20, 2018 11:01 PM BST
There was someone on racing forum a while back called "Warwick hunt". Mad tales and betting scams aplenty.
Report salmon spray July 20, 2018 11:11 PM BST
You are taking the pee I presume.
Report tobermory July 20, 2018 11:42 PM BST
there was a thread on here live in running on mse antics

so very much part of forum

i think some from mse got it removed from here?

The MSE thread itself was absolutely awesome. The thread on here from what I recall was just saying 'look at this awesome thread on a different website'. So it is not good if a 2nd hand thread is the best this forum can come up with. The Betfair thread commentating on it did not get removed by anyone, I will bring it to the top FWIW. Sadly I think the great MSE thread itself may be no more.

The nearest thing Betfair forum had to MSE's was the Isner v Levine on tennis. Same principle: A bunch of eternal mugs have an hour or so when they suddenly become super shrewdies who are going to clean out noobs, then it gradually dawns on them that they are even bigger mugs than everyone knew in the first place. 

IMO it is a pisspoor if all we can say about this forum is the best thread was basically saying 'look, theres a great thread on another website'
Report tobermory July 20, 2018 11:48 PM BST
From what I recall MSE left that thread viewable for years as a kind of warning of the dangers of gambling. But I could not view it now, though perhaps you have to be a member and sign in to view.
Report tobermory July 20, 2018 11:50 PM BST
tbf the BF thread does save some classic quotes from the original

"Well I checked my balance and it said 0.00.. I was baffled too..

Then I checked my statement and it says -11.8k

I'm not joking.

I'm just on the phone to Betfair to see if they're gonna help me out of this in any way because I don't have a penny to give em.

I feel really stupid now. numbers were good, didn't consider void bets at all..

I'm still speechless.. dumbest thing I've ever done in life...

I think I took the biggest losses here.. it did seem to good to be true... whats done is done now.. incredible..

I actually withdraw my money off betfair when Tim advised we were gonna get screwed.. whether or not I receive that money to my bank.

Off phone now.. manager is ringing me back.. I'm just gonna tell him I can only make token payments each month.. I cannot write a cheque for 12k.

I can only pray they write this debt off... god I dunno.. worst case, I'll have to leg it."
Report loui July 21, 2018 7:48 AM BST
No SS, he was on there. A right character indeed
Report jed.davison July 21, 2018 10:02 AM BST
The banter on International nights was the funniest generally - the seething Scots smashing into the England team whenever they played.

One particular idiot - Jasboy his name was - started a thread "WHEN IS BECKHAM COMING ON?" during a World Cup game in which the mop-haired clothes rack had admittedly been anonymous, and two minutes later he curls a beauty of a free-kick in at the near post to put England in front. That ran for weeks.

Another Scottish fellow, Nocko, liked to dish out a few tipping posts - with er...let's be kind...varying degrees of success, and his "GRETNA WILL NOT WIN TODAY" thread, when Gretna first got in the Scottish League and were tearing it to pieces, miles clear in one of the lower divisions. Gretna did win. 8-0. Think taht thread stayed mostly on the front page for weeks, in the days when as people above say the churn was rapid.

My favourite thread, for a time at least, was one by a chap called supernap, who changed his name to kenilworth in the end - "THREE VALUE BETS TONIGHT" in which our hero picked three odds-on chances in one of the early rounds of the Carling Cup, all Premier teams away to lower division teams. The day before though - without considering that the players he was basing his game opinions on would be at home on the sofa. All three teams lost, and not one of them scored a goal. Unfortunately, the thread descended into a pointed dig at the OP by all the posters he had previously belittled, abused and generally mocked because he thought he knew more than them.

Apart from all the nonsense and football banter, there were some serious judges on here - HWB's .updates, though infrequent, were particular gems, including a touch on Ali Carter to make the highest break the Crucible one season at 50/1 iirc. At the same time one of the posters on here, a very funny Chelsea fan ( yeah I know) called IGUN represented the Liverpool fans in their High Court battle against Hicks and Gillett.

Still some good posters on here, and on the other forums, but Betfair limiting access to the forum and then banning anyone who even remotely stepped out of line has taken the guts out of it, and again as someone said above, most people stop posting when they've done their nuts.
Report jed.davison July 21, 2018 10:13 AM BST
Other topics were good as well in those days - a chap called statman, who used to post stuff on this board as well - Arsenal fan iirc - used to do some blinding quizzes. Once put up £100 to the winner of a sports quiz he did. I won, and to pay me we arranged to meet across a Betfair heads-up poker table where he would just lose the money in two hands. Turns out he's not much of a poker player, and we end up all-in on the first hand with me needing to hit a middle pin four on the river to complete a straight. Of course, this being the old Betfair platform, that's exactly what I hit.

And before all the petty and eternal feuding on the Horse Racing forum there were some top judges on there as well - you still get most of them posting, albeit less often, on the ante-post forum. Anything the Headmaster says is worth taking a note of, he's as good a judge of racing as anyone I've ever met. The Top Ten Propunters in the UK Today were always great threads, and the top ten International Propunters thread became a classic.
Report salmon spray July 21, 2018 10:34 AM BST

Jul 21, 2018 -- 1:48AM, loui wrote:

No SS, he was on there. A right character indeed

Tbf I am more familiar with the Racing Forum than the Football one though I dabble here. Regulars on the former know that Warwick has been there more or less continuously and still is ( ask for Willie ). He's certainly a character but not a scammer. He specialises in betting i/r and did once lose £149k laying a supposed faller at 1000s.

Report jed.davison July 21, 2018 10:39 AM BST
Was that the incorrect faller call at Chepstow (I think) by Cattermole? If so, a chap I knew won 138k of it.
Report salmon spray July 21, 2018 10:48 AM BST
Can't remember where it was but the horse was Metal Detector and I think it was Thommo who called it. Tbf Warwick,who would have been operating on fast pictures from an Exchange,said he only had himself to blame.
Report salmon spray July 21, 2018 10:49 AM BST
*Exchange shop
Report jed.davison July 21, 2018 11:26 AM BST
That won never raced at Chepstow so can't have been that.
Report sparrow July 21, 2018 11:31 AM BST
Wasn't it Towcester for Metal Detector?
Report salmon spray July 21, 2018 11:39 AM BST
It won there in June 2007,which sounds about right.
Report scaredmoney July 21, 2018 12:49 PM BST
yes was towcester....he was on about it on a fred the other day....some one bumped a piece from the daily star the day after....i ll see if i can find it
Report scaredmoney July 21, 2018 1:06 PM BST
Daily Star Sunday10 Jun 2007by PATRICK WEAVER
BETFAIR punter Warwick Hunt must be wishing he was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire after suffering an in-running calamity betting at Towcester on Friday night.
Hunt reacted fastest when course commentator Derek Thompson called Metal Detector a faller at the first fence. His fastest-finger-first technique enabled him to lay the ‘faller’ at 999-1 to unsuspecting gamblers .
The wealthy professional gambler risked £149,850 to win £150 in the novices’ chase, thinking he was buying money, but there was one problem – Metal Detector had not fallen!
Tommo corrected himself in the 10 seconds it took for the horses to get to the second fence but that was too late for Hunt. He was facing a liability of nearly £150,000 and there was no way out as Metal Detector raced to an 18-length win.
But as is always the case on betting exchanges – where there is a winner and a loser on every bet matched – two men’s in-running pain (there was another £16 layer at 999-1) was others gain, as three backers scooped a small fortune.
One Betfair backer netted an astonishing £138,821.04 for £138.96, and another £24,975 for just a £25 stake. A third punter, in Canada, won $3,996 for $4.
Hunt said on the Exchange’s forum that he only had himself to blame and refused to point the finger at Tommo, one of the most popular and helpful people in racing.
But this is not the first costly error from a commentator.
Mark Johnson came in for some stick on May 31 when he called the wrong horse the winner at Lingfield.
In the last race, the normally accurate caller mistook Mid Valley for the winner Nan Jan – causing Mid Valley to touch 1-10 inside the final furlong, even though he lost his place three furlongs out.
Report jed.davison July 21, 2018 1:29 PM BST
perhaps my memory is playing tricks with me, that looks too much of a coincidence that someone won 138k off it.
Report politicspunter July 21, 2018 2:20 PM BST
Did Warwick not get a sore one with that good national hunt race in Ireland where the jockey raised his arms aloft in victory and pulled his nag up after mistaking the winning post?
Report jed.davison July 21, 2018 2:24 PM BST
The headmaster mentioned above had it off on that race.
Report politicspunter July 21, 2018 2:24 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAveB_eBFFo

It's this one.
Report loui July 21, 2018 7:08 PM BST
Yeah scam wasn’t the correct word, betting coups more like it. Remember one day he showed how to win £10k with £10k just doing placed horses 4I think
Report loui July 21, 2018 7:09 PM BST
4 not 41
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com