Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
02 Jul 18 21:10
| Topic/replies: 29,043 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
it's gone JJ, it's gone

here's to Lord Emery and the era.

Hopefully he can bring back the much missed St. Totteringham's day.
Pause Switch to Standard View ***** ARSENAL CHIT CHAT *****
Show More
Report sofaking August 21, 2021 8:39 PM BST
Lurka, are you at the stage yet where you want to lose to Chelsea in order to hasten the departure of pound shop Pep?
Report lurka August 21, 2021 9:47 PM BST
I'd rather he succeeded but I've seen nothing in 18 months to suggest he is anything other than a chancer. His football is turgid. Not impressed with his man-management or transfer dealings either. Literally nothing to indicate he is going to be a top manager. He is a world-class waffler tho.

I'm looking forward to watching tomorrow but expecting us to lose. I think after 18 months it would be better for him to fail quickly and be gone ASAP.
Report lurka August 21, 2021 9:55 PM BST
I also suspect that he's buying all these young players partly because he knows the fans are back and he is under pressure and is trying to buy himself more time and make it look like he has a long-term plan and younger players will remain loyal to him for longer as he's given them their chance at Arsenal.

That's the type of calculating guy he strikes me as, looks after himself and his rep first and anyone who gets in the way of that, questions him or stands up to him is dropped/sold/loaned out. Totally winging it imo, probably can't believe he's still in the job.
Report sofaking August 21, 2021 9:59 PM BST
Pretty good analysis of the situation, Lurka. Cool
Report Blackrock August 22, 2021 10:18 AM BST
Phuck me Lurka. Did you catch Arteta with your missus? You seem to have a big dislike for him.

Surely buying young players is the only way forward. Getting the right ones is the difficulty. Still think Edu has a lot to answer for with some of the transfers. But if we buy a player coz its on the never never, then that's the fault of the owners for not stumping up some cash.

Can only see a loss today.Sad
Report lurka August 22, 2021 12:48 PM BST
This is what he said yesterday about the fans. I only saw this after I wrote the above

"I think they will be right behind the team. They know what we’re trying to do. They can see it and if you don’t see it it’s because you want to see something different.

But they really know what is coming, they really know what we’re trying to do and they will be. They know as well our young players they need more than ever their support. Arsenal fans when things are a little bit difficult they’re always behind the team and I know that because I've been there."

That is gaslighting supporters (the bits in bold especially) who rightfully question exactly what he has done after 18 months in charge and trying to hide behind young players now all of a sudden. He knows well that he hasn't been good enough and is worried that the fans will vent against him because he's been getting away with it for over a year without having to face them once. He knows the paying supporters are not going to tolerate what he's provided for much longer or at all and that they are different than the online mug hipster fans and the media who think he's the new Pep and make excuses for him at every turn. You can see he is very worried.

The guy is a narcissistic/sociopathic personality and the above quotes are further proof of that. Look up the definition of gaslighting and the types of personality who engage in it if you don't believe me. From day one he's been dodging awkward questions and blaming his players for not taking half-chances etc. Always an excuse that doesn't involve him not being good enough. More of the same personality traits.

If you give a guy like that the power that he has he will do whatever he has to to protect himself and preserve his job for as long as possible and he will be incredibly destructive in the longer-term. This is the worry I have with the signings he has made and those quotes yesterday only make me more worried. The plan behind the younger signings seems to be more to buy him time than anything else this summer.

He was signing the likes of Willian and renewing Luiz deal last Summer and all of a sudden he's just introduced a new policy of signing only young players a matter of weeks before he has to face the fanbase? Ben White for £50m? Ramsdale for £25m+? Xhaka a new deal after basically declaring he wanted to leave for Rome and then makes him captain? Xhaka is a yes man who will be loyal to any manager who is loyal to him. He owes his entire Arsenal career to managers like that. That's why he keeps getting new contracts. The not good enoughs are loyal to each other. You scratch my back.

Blackrock we don't have to sign only young players. He has spent £200m in 18 months! That is more than enough to sign some experience and some leaders. Which of the signings he has made is going to improve us from last season? Wouldn't you expect at least one player who does after £100m this summer? Wouldn't you expect us to have the right-full position sorted after £200m? He is surrounding himself with young players who will be loyal to him for longer.

It looks like a largely disastrous window to me. He could have got better than Ben White and Ramsdale for half the price for starters and could have got rid of Xhaka too. What I would say, however, is that none of our players are ever going to look as good as they potentially can be under this manager, attackers especially. He has no ideas up top and plays his two best finishers on the left wing. When is the last time you saw an Arsenal midfielder make a late run into the box for example?

I am telling it like I see it. It's gone on for 18 months now. Just because the fans weren't there doesn't mean the last 12 months didn't happen but he's acting like it does. Let's see how it plays out but the reason I am saying all of this is because I feel strongly that I am right about this guy.
Report lurka August 22, 2021 1:01 PM BST
Seriously, the day before he has to face the fans for the first time in over a year it's all of a sudden a long-term plan (of indefinite length) involving the buying of almost an entirely new team of young players?

Last summer he gave a 32 yo Willian a 3 year 220k a week deal and told him that he needed him for 3 years because it would take 2 to get top 4 and another year to win the Champions League. And now this?
Report Blackrock August 22, 2021 3:26 PM BST
I agree with what you say. But Wenger left a mess for Emery and that mess was left for Arteta. The signing of young players has to be prefential to signings of has beens like Willian.

Ben White/Pepe signed because we could buy them over years. You think that Arteta is doing everything to keep himself away from criticism. You may well be right. When he is sacked eventually, i can only see an Arteta like manager taking his place. Vicious circle really.
Report the fink sisters August 22, 2021 5:31 PM BST
Spot on Blackrock.

Owners will get shot of Arteta when the heat gets too much. Replace with someone available and cheap/or with low compensation value and the heat will then be off them for another year. Rinse and repeat. Unfortunately, we have some mug fans who think the owners will bring in Simeone or Conte.

Lot of bollox about us spending significant money, but let’s wait until we see the net spend at the end of the window when the fire sale is complete.
Report lurka August 22, 2021 7:20 PM BST
We were signing younger players before Wenger left. Luiz was necessary because of Kos downing tools. But Willian was 100% Arteta. So was Mari.

They had to go for the cheap manager option because of FFP wage rules, but they don't apply this year which is why they can spend so much after a year of reduced revenue. Now is the first time they can go out and spend on a manager but instead they've given a guy who has done nothing for 18 months a 100m warchest. The FFP rules will be reintroduced in the next year or two. The owners are clueless mugs and money men but there's no way they want their 200m spent so badly. That makes no sense.

This is the opportunity to go out and throw 15-20m a year at Conte while he's free. Might not get another opportunity to do that for years once the rules are reintroduced. He will more than pay for himself twice over in terms of what he'll get from these players but the owners are so clueless that they can't even see this.
Report Wesdag August 22, 2021 7:23 PM BST
You're assuming Conte would want to come to this outfit.

Cry
Report the fink sisters August 22, 2021 8:10 PM BST
“ This is the opportunity to go out and throw 15-20m a year at Conte while he's free”
Report dambuster August 23, 2021 3:40 PM BST

Aug 22, 2021 -- 2:10PM, the fink sisters wrote:

“ This is the opportunity to go out and throw 15-20m a year at Conte while he's free”

Theres more chance of us signing John Conteh

Report lurka August 23, 2021 8:27 PM BST
Conte mightn't be the best man for our situation, he was just an example because he's available.

The point is the shackles are off and they can spend bigger than they could previously and have done. It's prob the only season they can and they've trusted Arteta with the money and it looks like a massive missed opportunity to get a top manager and could possibly set us back years.

I can't see any of our players looking like good signings playing under him. Tierney is prob the only recent one who does. That's because he's the focal point of our attack under this manager Cry
Report Life-Lucky August 24, 2021 2:43 PM BST
Rivalry is no fun if your rivals are going down the chute. I watched the Chelsea goals again, the home defence really was shocking. Open spaces and defenders wandering around the place like they're on drugs. The old saying, I hate Arsenal because Im a Spurs fan, I hate Chelsea because I'm a human being. Funny ol'world
Report Whisperingdeath August 24, 2021 3:01 PM BST
Laugh
Report Whisperingdeath August 24, 2021 3:02 PM BST
Beware of schadenfreude my old fruity!

The Totteringham Clown Show is still running!
Report Whisperingdeath August 24, 2021 3:03 PM BST
Who is the best man for our situation?

Baby Jesus!

Anyone who can turn water into wine. What do you think Pep would do with this lot?
Report Wesdag August 28, 2021 1:56 PM BST
Taxi for Arteta.
Report dambuster August 28, 2021 3:12 PM BST
I see Xhaka didn't fancy it and  bottled it again, knew we were in for a tanking and got himself sent off.
Coward
Report Wesdag August 28, 2021 3:24 PM BST
Giving that clown a new contract should be a sackable offence on its own.
Report EastLower Gooner August 28, 2021 3:34 PM BST
I’d rather Ramsdale  in midfield than Xhaka.

And again …why is Kolasinac still

I think there’s a good chance Kronke FC go into the NLD with no wins.
Report EastLower Gooner August 28, 2021 4:27 PM BST
By the way…do I need double jabs to go to Championship games?
Report ghostlygunner August 28, 2021 7:06 PM BST
Someone told me today that 8/11 players were still there today from the Wenger era.

If that is true then we deserve no sympathy at all.

How we can still be playing the likes of Xhaka, Kolasinac, Elneny, Holding & Chambers three years after everyone could see they should be nowhere near an Arsenal team is beyond belief.

Whoever is doing or has dished out these contracts should be dismissed instantly, and Wenger cant be blamed for all of them.

I have always said that until a complete dewengerisation occurs we will never start to improve, as that loser mentality is inbred in these players.

And to be fair to him , we are still watching Wengers shambolic defending but what we have lost is his great style of football going forward.

I always maintained on here (though in the minority) that Emery was treated very badly , and that given the mess he inherited he was a step back up from late Wenger.

But Arteta is serving up fayre much worse than even Wengers late days.

At least in the 8-2 or 10-2 aggregate defeat we did have attacks !

A non league team would have given Man City a better game today.

He simply has to go.

Who would touch us with a bargepole with these owners i dont know, maybe Big Sam?

I would take going down if we could flush out all the rotten eggs at the club, of which i think there are now many.

We will be back at the top one day, but there is sure to be a lot of pain before that day comes.
Report dambuster August 28, 2021 7:38 PM BST
And we thought we were good enough to play in the european super league, lololololololololololololol
Report Wesdag August 28, 2021 9:14 PM BST
even the ESL would need a whipping boy
Report lurka August 29, 2021 8:44 AM BST
https://twitter.com/MesutOzil1088/status/1431614541130080257?s=20

Mesut Özil
@MesutOzil1088
·
17h
Trust the processBroken heartWorried face

This tweet from Ozil shortly after FT yest indicates the reason he was banished was Arteta and not China.

The end is nigh now surely.
Report Blackrock August 29, 2021 10:16 AM BST
We are a mid/lower table club and the time is right for Allardyce to dig us out of the shyte. The players are not playing for this clown and yesterday was the worst back 4 to ever put on a red shirt, and ive been going since 1968.

Re Mesut Ozil, he's watching us, either sitting on the bench or in Turkey for a long time now. No player that Emery/Arteta played in midfield was fit enough to lace his boots.
Report Wesdag August 29, 2021 2:57 PM BST
Ozil ffs. Some short memories here.

Is this the same player who never once turned up against top sides?
Report lurka August 29, 2021 7:55 PM BST
I think you're the one with the short memory.

Do you not remember us last season prior to the Chelsea game and how woeful we were in attack? We had 14 points and 12 goals in 14 games, 6 points and 5 goals came in the first 2 games. The team was crying out for a No. 10 type player, which is why he got Odegaard on loan after Christmas.

Everyone gave Arteta a pass because they thought the Chinese were the reason Ozil couldn't play. Now it looks like it was all down to him and he let us go out playing toothless football for at least 10 games with Willian starting. We went 5 games without scoring during that period. 

Ozil was a flop and Emery dropped him too but we didn't have a problem scoring under Emery so it was completely different. Arteta didn't even have him on the bench once for more than an entire season. Not as if he's ever got more out of any of our other players.
Report windsor knot August 29, 2021 11:57 PM BST
i was at the game yesterday . it was unbelievable how we caved in , even by our recent standards . smith rowe was fighting midfield on his own , our centre halves were shocking and , in fairness, auba soon went sulking . so , so much work to do .
Report dambuster August 30, 2021 11:33 AM BST
Ozil, great at the start, then he signed a career ending contract worth a fortune,
seems to happen a lot at our place, thats what happens when you don't have any leaders,
we have'nt had a leader since Viera, and have'nt had a decent manager since we moved to The Emirates
Report Wesdag August 30, 2021 12:55 PM BST
I think you're the one with the short memory.

Was referring to the fact Ozil was routinely hopeless against the top sides in the EPL.
Report lurka August 30, 2021 1:28 PM BST
I'm not disagreeing with you. But it wasn't just top sides we couldn't create against during that period, it was everyone, we were that bad. I saw today a rumour that Ozil is going to make a documentary and part of it will be about his side of what happened.
Report lurka August 30, 2021 1:32 PM BST
And that Amazon doc that is being filmed this season will surely make it harder to get someone decent in as a replacement. It will make more of a laughing stock of the club than AFTV I'd say.
Report Blackrock August 31, 2021 10:34 AM BST
Mesut Ozil went missing in the big games? So did all the side. Regularly turned it in, so MO wasn't on his own there.

At Madrid he was a superb player, prob the best in the world in his position at the time. After joining us he only looked for Alexis Sanchez with his passes. Nobody else was on his level of thinking.

I think he was mainly dropped coz of his so called refusal to run back and tackle. That should have been the role of the 'water carriers' not someone of his class.

I know he had quite a few poor games but when he was on fire he was pure class.
Report Wesdag August 31, 2021 1:41 PM BST
Let's face it he was a panic purchase after the Suarez fiasco.

Can probably count the number of times he lasted 90 minutes against top sides on the fingers of 1 hand.
Report ghostlygunner August 31, 2021 1:43 PM BST
looks like we have given these clowns even more money to spend, some unheard of japanese right back

in other news we still cant sell ANYBODY , only send them on loan to be given the same dross back next season
Report Whisperingdeath August 31, 2021 5:11 PM BST
It will make more of a laughing stock of the club

I don't think so. I think many football fans are sad about the demise of Arsenal. It really is not funny.

The treatment of the the young players is particularly shocking. If they are not wanted why not let them go? I think some of them would do a better job than those on high wages. How bad do you have top play to be dropped by Arteta? Not being funny but how sheite are AMN or RN not to get into this Arsenal team? or are they?

Anyone not getting into the current team should be given away on a free and have their wages subsidised but they will not let these kids go who just want to play football. We are not a laughing stock! it is way beyond that now!
Report 11kv August 31, 2021 5:30 PM BST
No different to Chelski a few years ago ,no youth players getting a look in, its all swings and roundabouts and most clubs just buy big and pay big wages with mug muneey,the ones who pay week in week out to watch and will there long after the sheite players and managers....
Report lurka August 31, 2021 8:23 PM BST
The point I was making about Ozil, and I was as Ozil-out as anyone but thought he deserved a chance in that period because we couldn't even create a chance, is that Arteta was willing to let a guy rot for over a season on 350k a week. If he had no intention of using him at all, which it appears he didn't because he wasn't even on the bench once, he should have loaned him out to someone for a €5m fee at least or maybe more.

But he would rather let a player rot than do what's best for Arsenal. That is the type of vindictive, narcissistic, egomanic we have on our hands. That's why he'll let anyone who crosses him rot or put them out on loan repeatedly, damage their careers just to get them back even though that is massively damaging to Arsenal. That's what he's doing to these young players. Maybe some of them have a poor attitude but more likely they gave him backchat or questioned his tactics or leaked something from the dressing room.

He is replacing players who have been around him 18 months and know he is a fraud with players who don't, who owe their Arsenal careers to him and who have got pay rises because of him when joining. Guys like Xhaka who he has given new contracts to are the same, loyal to him because they know they should be long gone and aren't because of him. He is dressing it up as 'project youth' just to buy himself more time in the job. He was signing Willian with a 3 year plan to win the CL a year ago. Wake up!

We are watching him completely destroy the club and making a mess much bigger than Wenger and Gazidis left behind them in 4k UHD!! Or at least we will be when the doc comes out.

He should be gone before the documentary is aired but of course other fans are going to have a field-day laughing at us and we will be wondering how we let it happen.

He hasn't developed any of our young players one bit and will sell them all for peanuts after banishing them for a period and devaluing them. He has massively devalued every member of the squad. These players he has signed aren't better than the players he has let go or banished. They are likely a lot worse.
Report Wesdag August 31, 2021 10:10 PM BST
Maybe Ozil wanted to stay put & didn't want to be loaned out?

£350k a week for a someone who never performed against top sides must've been terrible for the morale of the squad.

Tbf to Arteta, Ozil was a failure long before he became manager.
Report Wesdag August 31, 2021 10:29 PM BST
Bottom line is, the whole club is a laughing stock from top to bottom.

Might be worth have a punt on relegation to soothe the pain.
Report ghostlygunner August 31, 2021 10:41 PM BST
i would take relegation like a shot if it guaranteed freeing the club of all the rotten eggs and starting again from scratch

but you know sooner or later we ll win a few games again and the cries will be to trust the process
Report lurka September 1, 2021 2:23 AM BST
I see AMN has stayed after 'clear the air' talks with Arteta today. Yesterday he said he just wanted to go where he was wanted and to play via his instagram and it apparently infuriated Arteta who blocked a loan move to Everton. Arteta reportedly convinced him he was still part of his plans and would get game time this season. 

AMN played a good few games at wing back last season and even got called up to England in that position before going to loan to WBA to play in midfield.

It seems strange that he was negotiating a loan move if Arteta wants him, unless he did it without permission. AMN could be totally at fault here tho and does seem reluctant to play WB. And we've just signed that Japanese lad who plays on the right side of defence. Arteta put Cedric in as WB ahead of him against City and he was unbelievably bad, so maybe that made AMN feel that he was unwanted. But I wouldn't be surprised if Arteta is lying and banishes him to punish him.
Report Blackrock September 1, 2021 11:02 AM BST
Maitland Niles, Cedric, Chambers all played right back. All still at the club. All no good imo. Hector Bellerin i will excuse as he was never the same player after his bad injury.

Resign Xhaka when nearly all AFC fans would have driven him to the airport to go to Roma. Mari, nice enough on the ball but can't defend. White can't win the ball in the air. I would have thought that was a pre-requisit for a CB. - Holding too much of a gentleman to play CB.  Apart from that things looking very sound defensively.

Next, we'll be playing 3 holding mids to protect this lot and Auba /Smith Rowe won't see the ball for 90 mins.
Report lurka September 1, 2021 11:16 AM BST
Yeah, the only attacking players he has signed are Odegaard and Willian and Willian is gone! Everyone else is a defender apart from Lokonga, Partey and 2 goalkeepers! And the likes of Holding, Chambers, Kolasinac and Cedric are still at the club. The mind boggles.

Holding was signed for £5m from Bolton after they finished bottom of the Championship, 19 points from safety.
Report Whisperingdeath September 1, 2021 11:55 AM BST
I would like to see how a fit Partey and Lokonga go hopefully without Xhaka in the side, Pepe, Smiff and Saka in front with Auba up top. Maybe get Keegan on the sideline to exhort them on about scoring one more goal than the oppo. Just cannot get a grip of the Saliba situation and if we spent £50 on White then why not have spent it on Upamecano previously? Shirley a pairing of those two would have helped?
Report dambuster September 1, 2021 12:11 PM BST
I Think we should get rid of Arteta NOW and get Conti in, before Man Utd get him,
as i think that could be the final piece of the United jigsaw. Solskjaer has a team good enough to win the league now,
and if they have a run of a few games without a win. He will be gone, and Conti will be there no1 choice.
We should have got rid of Wenger 5 years earlier and got Klopp in, but we were too late,   again.
Lets not make the same mistake again
Report Whisperingdeath September 1, 2021 1:48 PM BST
I don't understand why people think Conti would want this poisoned chalice. They just spent £150 million! They are not going to get rid of Arteta now.

The best Arsenal fans can hope for is Big Sam for Christmas!
Report Blackrock September 3, 2021 10:28 AM BST
Anyone see the Paddy Power skit on Arsenal's transfer board? Would be funny if it wasn't true.Sad
Report dambuster September 3, 2021 2:45 PM BST
yes,sums us up
Report sofaking September 3, 2021 3:53 PM BST
Would you take Aurier on a free if offered?  Says he'd go to Arsenal if they wanted him.
Report tobermory September 3, 2021 5:06 PM BST
tbh Arsenal probably only have about 4 players in their squad better than Auerier
Report tobermory September 3, 2021 5:09 PM BST
Here is the paddy power Arsenal one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTMgEFaVoM
Report EastLower Gooner September 6, 2021 2:04 PM BST
I wouldn’t mind playing White as the defensive midfielder in front of the back 4 and have Lokonga and Partey like two Rottweilers in front of him.

Pretty defensive but at at least we have more bite.

But that’s just me and I’m sure everyone on here has there own set up.

Problem is Discount Pep is all over the place.

Take Cedric for instance…scores 2 goals in a behind closed doors game vs Brentford but probably won’t be in the squad for Norwich…or will he? Will Tommy even make the bench?

I just don’t know with him.

If he names Kolasinac in the starting 11 vs Norwich then I say we sack him right there and then.
Report EastLower Gooner September 9, 2021 1:54 PM BST
Touch and go on Tommy’s Work a permit for Norwich.
Report Whisperingdeath September 9, 2021 2:58 PM BST
Top 4 is still possible for Arsenal this season.

If Brentford have a new boy slump and Palace are as bad as everyone is making out Arsenal might sneak into the Top Four London Clubs, which, could be regarded as a huge achievement. Of course a lot would depend on Brentford being absolute pants, which, I do not think is going to  happen.
Report lurka September 9, 2021 4:01 PM BST
Arteta talking about a medium to long-term 'project' now. It used to be a process, now it's a new buzzword. He has moved the goalposts again and is talking about the squad overhaul being 'unheard of' all while Cedric, Holding, Chambers, Elneny, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Laca are still at the club and he had chances to get rid of most of them but declined and offered some of them new deals. The XI isn't going to be much different to last season despite all the spending. I doubt the football is either.

The Arsenal PR media have also been this week talking about likely Auba replacements when the time comes. Very strange timing and not a good sign either. The club/manager definitely have a few plants in the media. Ornstein is one.
Report Blackrock September 9, 2021 4:41 PM BST
I know Arteta gave Xhaka a new contract but who out of the others had prospective buyers, that MA decided to keep?

2022 sees the end of contracts for Laca,Elneny, Chambers,Kolasinac and Eddie. Don't see anybody being interested in that lot bar maybe Laca, who could play in Turkey for example.

2023 see the contacts up for Mari,Cedric,Torreira and Ainsley. Again nobody will be rushing to buy any of these.

You can see why MA says its a long term project. A very phuckin long term project.
Report lurka September 9, 2021 5:07 PM BST
There was talk over the last couple of years of bids for Laca and Elneny. I think Laca's wages were a problem for the buyers. The club apparently values Elneny at £5m and won't sell for less. They have extended Chambers deal in the last year. They could have paid Kola and Laca to get rid. It may not have been an option in previous years but I'd have thought some of the £150m spend this summer would have been used to pay some of these guys a lump to go. Cedric and Mari were initially loanees and Arteta made them permanent. Cedric signed a 4 year deal last summer and they're trying to get rid of him already. Holding signed a new contract earlier this year until 2024 with an option to renew for a year.
Report lurka September 9, 2021 5:16 PM BST
Also don't get why Torreira is banished when guys like AMN and Elneny are still at the club. I liked him as a player and he was at least a useful squad player. He was often played out of position by Emery and we never really saw the best of him in an Arsenal shirt but he loved playing for us. You don't see any Spanish or Italian clubs looking to take Elneny on loan. But that's all on the manager and his personality more than anything else.

For all the money we've spent this summer, I think we'd be better off with Torreira, Saliba and Guendouzi in the squad and having not bought any of the additions this summer. They are all fairly young too.
Report lurka September 9, 2021 5:18 PM BST
That's why this 'project youth' nonsense is more horseshít from the manager. He is decimating the value of these 3 players and they are better than what we've bought this summer.
Report Blackrock September 9, 2021 5:26 PM BST
Arteta knew Mari from Man City. Never made an appearance for the club. Seems he played 20 odd games for Flamengo Serie A, but nearly all of his other football was at lower levels.

Cedric wasn't a regular at Saints, and i presumed we brought him in as cover for Bellerin who never properly recovered from his injury. This would suggest that Ainsley or Chambers wasn't what Arteta wanted. So why were both Mari and Cedric given deals after their loan spells.

Must have been MA making those decisions and not Edu?
Report Blackrock September 9, 2021 5:32 PM BST
Fair points regarding Torreira, not really given too many chances, but of what i did see, don't think he cut the mustard.

Matteo Guendouzi i have omitted from my posts as i think he could have been a very good player. But he was banished for a foolish mistake he made as a very young man. Now MG may prove to be a troublesome character, but a decent manager would have taken him to one side and educated him in the ways of top football.

You have to say there were times when Guendouzi was our only player on the pitch busting a gut for the team.
Report HallGreenSpy September 9, 2021 5:33 PM BST
Laugh wd
Report lurka September 11, 2021 5:00 PM BST
Watched the game just now. Unimpressive win and wasted a lot of chances near the end and could have cost us. Not much to be encouraged about given it was Norwich at home.

But my God that Ben White is an absolute liability at the back. Letting balls bounce in the box, giving away needless free kicks due to poor positioning etc. He is not a defender and looks like he's as bad as Mustafi with a similar mentality of shirking responsibility. Basic schoolboy errors throughout from him.
Report EastLower Gooner September 11, 2021 5:05 PM BST
Please tell me we’ve sent a private plane to pick up Conti
Report sofaking September 11, 2021 5:15 PM BST

Sep 11, 2021 -- 11:05AM, EastLower Gooner wrote:

Please tell me we’ve sent a private plane to pick up Conti

Conte would require a massive player overhaul if he were to join Arsenal. Unlikely after Arsenal have already spent an absolute fortune this summer. Even Conte couldn't turn Ben White into a competent defender.

Report Whisperingdeath September 11, 2021 6:05 PM BST
Wait till Boxing Day!

You know who will be available!
Report Smiley September 11, 2021 6:44 PM BST
I watched the whole game too and couldn't disagree more with Lurka about his analysis/slating of Ben White. I thought he was excellent and composed throughout the game. Finally we have a player who can really play out from the back and some of his passing was simply sublime.

Considering he is still settling in, I thought he showed tremendous potential....and remember, he is only 23....that's still very young for a Premier centre back.
Report lurka September 11, 2021 7:40 PM BST
I didn't mention his passing. Only his defending. He made some very basic errors again and will be found out repeatedly against better sides. His passing was good and is a lot better than Mustafi but defensively I saw a lot of similarities between them today. If you are going to play with 2 CHs then they both need to be able to defend.
Report the fink sisters September 21, 2021 7:07 PM BST
No posts for 10 days.

Did we win a game?
Report EastLower Gooner September 22, 2021 11:14 AM BST
I guess it’s welcome back square head Kolasinac tonight…looks a nice game for this Patino kid.
Report EastLower Gooner September 22, 2021 6:57 PM BST
He’s got….if Partey gets injured tonight and misses NLD
Report EastLower Gooner September 22, 2021 6:57 PM BST
that should read…he’s got a death wish
Report the fink sisters September 23, 2021 10:24 AM BST
Don’t have a problem with him playing Partey last night, even at risk of an injury. Can’t wrap him up in cotton wool and then expect him to turn up and perform in the “bigger” games. It’s frustrating that his injury record since signing is so poor yet he barely missed a game at Madrid. He just doesn’t look match fit and needs game time. The last couple of injury scares have been cramp.

Going into the Derby, I can’t remember a time when both sets of supporters were quite so downcast, both half expecting to lose. When he was at Wolves, Nuno had a good record against Arsenal, so am expecting a tough game. Despite two wins, we’ve only beaten the two teams at the bottom of the table.
Report lurka September 23, 2021 12:05 PM BST
Yeah apparently Partey needed game time. If he'd been injured tho it would have ramped up pressure on Arteta before the derby. He only played an hour.

Wins against those 3 sides don't really tell us much. Not expecting a very entertaining game in the derby but they are well beatable. So are we, I suppose.
Report the fink sisters September 26, 2021 6:45 PM BST
Just got back. A good day all round.

Wish we started every game like that. And would be helpful if the home support actually got behind the team like today.

Seems like our totally hopeless manager has bought himself a couple of weeks. Hope Spuds get a a few wins now. We could do with Nuno being there for at least a couple of years.
Report lurka September 26, 2021 9:07 PM BST
Great win and great attitude from the players. Shades of the Chelsea game last season tho. They were as bad as Spurs so I won't be getting carried away that we've turned any corner. Need to see a performance like that against a top side playing well. Spurs were easier to beat than Norwich and Burnley. Tomiyasu looks like a good signing and a big improvement on the right.

Really don't like the way we sit back on a lead and invite the opposition onto us with little threat going forward. It just encourages them and they didn't even turn up today. The last 10 mins of the Chelsea game last season was the same. Can understand it at 3-0 but this manager tends to do it with a single goal lead too. Not as if we have a rock solid defence to rely on.
Report LoyalHoncho September 26, 2021 11:20 PM BST
Well done Mikel Arteta.  You have showed your mettle by coming through what must have been a terribly stressful and deeply painful period of vile abuse - mostly verbal but much of it physical intimidation of you and your family - from so-called fans of the club you manage.  Your club is not out of the woods yet but you have good reason now to be proud of yourself and to never trust an Arsenal fan again.
Report Wesdag September 27, 2021 12:58 PM BST
Early days but does anyone really take the knee-jerk r soles that inhabit the likes of AFTV seriously?
Report Blackrock September 28, 2021 11:02 AM BST
Great win and did we need it. Agree with Lurka about the sitting back tactic. Hopefully onwards and upwards, but we've been here before many times.
Report the fink sisters September 28, 2021 3:50 PM BST
Agree blackrock.

First half was best we’ve played for ages. Great to see some pace up front. Front four looks potent.

We have a run of ‘winnable’ fixtures, which has always proved a problem in the recent past. Don’t think we can afford too many injuries as squad lacks depth. Still, a step in the right direction at least. Pleased for Arteta. But that’s football. Lose and you’re clueless. Win and you’re a man with a plan.
Report Whisperingdeath September 29, 2021 5:29 PM BST
News is getting better by the day

Xhaka might be ruled out for three months by knee injury!

Nothing against Xhaka personally I am sure he is a good lad but just too slow for me. I would like to see the new kid get a chance to play with Partey whom I hope will stay fit!
Report Whisperingdeath October 17, 2021 8:01 PM BST
Salina and Guendouzi both playing fir Marseille tonight and it’s live in BT Sport 2. Interesting to see how both play
Report Whisperingdeath October 17, 2021 8:02 PM BST
0-1
Report Whisperingdeath October 17, 2021 8:05 PM BST
Saliba
Report Mr_Spreadsheet October 30, 2021 5:49 PM BST
All quiet on here. Arteta must be doing ok. A shadow of our former selves atm
Report the fink sisters November 1, 2021 8:14 AM GMT
It’s usually quiet on here. Never more so than when we’re not losing....
Report Blackrock November 2, 2021 11:11 AM GMT
This place has been dead for years now. Even when we were appalling under Wenger.
Report Wesdag November 2, 2021 12:15 PM GMT
Tbf, there was a daily discussion when Wenger was still in charge with the pros & antis.

Shame Judge Judy disappeared when the old forum went kapoot - he kept things ticking over.
Report lurka November 2, 2021 12:32 PM GMT
We are doing OK beating teams who play very poorly against us. Leicester were dire in the first half. We are still sitting back on leads and inviting the opposition to have a go at our defence, with little to no threat on the counter attack and that is asking for trouble. Leicester were better in the second half but still not at their absolute best and could have scored 2 or more if it wasn't for Ramsdale, who has been very good.

Ramsdale MOTM says a lot about the game. Very little output from Auba or Saka. Gabriel was very good. White OK but still making very basic errors and giving away needless free kicks close to goal - he is not a defender in the pure sense and will cost us a goal very soon.

Not getting carried away with these results, the performances are fairly ordinary but better than poor opposition on the day in Villa, Norwich, Burnley, Spurs and Leicester. On paper it looks better than it is. 

We have scored in 4 games in a row from corners and have a new set piece coach who seems to be a massive improvement. That is much needed because we still look devoid of ideas in attack a lot of the time. Saka and Auba not performing ATM makes it difficult but we have rarely looked effective in attack in 2 years under this manager.
Report Blackrock November 3, 2021 11:10 AM GMT
Tend to agree with you. Hate sitting on a lead and inviting them on. Palace bossed us for most of the game and sat back with 10 to go. We nicked a goal deep into added on time. You have to ask yourself why did Palace change their tactics? It was working fine up to then.

We do the same as do alot of sides. Throwing 11 behind the ball and crowding our own area is not guranteeing anything.

Still don't think Arteta knows his best 11. I don't mean rotation but just a best 11 when all are fit. Will he put Xhaka back in when he returns from injury? Think Lokonga needs to stay in the side to gain experience. Very impressed with Tavares. He'd keep his place if i were the manager.

As for being quiet when we are on a winning run think thats only natural. Far less to discuss when things are going well.

Do miss Gman, JJ and even Pixie.
Report the fink sisters November 4, 2021 12:22 PM GMT
Enjoyed your post Blackrock...

Gman, JJ, Pixie... Golden days when you’d get some balanced debate instead of endless moaning about Arteta and how we’re not 10 points clear and at least a few posts a week. Hope JJ is well and enjoying his/her self imposed retirement. Would love a post from him/her (Christ, I’m so woke), just to know he/she is still alive.

I think there are are two types of Arsenal fan. Pre-Wenger, Pre-Graham (me), when we were basically carp. Then the ATV generation who think we are bigger than the other clubs with much larger spends.

Seems we’re making slow progress at the moment, but at least we’re not losing. It seems in the Wenger days, we’d lose with defensive fallibility, but because of the buccaneering style, much was forgiven. The last few years of his tenure weren’t great and there’s a lot to sort out, which won’t be done overnight. Feel we’re slowly getting there.

Interesting appointment by our nearest and dearest. Hilarious if he fails. Suspect he’ll do well there and that will up the ante. I know we can’t measure success in terms of Spuds’ performance, but it will at least keep the board honest.

I’d be happy with Top 6 this year personally.
Report the fink sisters November 7, 2021 4:13 PM GMT
Up to the heady heights of 5th. Fear that most of the squad will now get a nosebleed.

We’re in for a reality check next game though : away to the Filthy Dippers. Could be ugly.
Report Mr_Spreadsheet November 7, 2021 4:52 PM GMT
I used to post when JJ ran it (new forum name now - long story). Poor today imo but we get 3pts. Tavares good addition along with Sambi. Jury for me is still out on Odegard but happy with progress. Xhaka should be on the bench when he's back - we shall see. Good young squad that hopefully can grow and mature together
Report Mr_Spreadsheet November 7, 2021 4:53 PM GMT
It will be interesting how Saliba fits into the plans next season
Report Blackrock November 9, 2021 10:35 AM GMT
Fink - i think we have a chance of getting something at Anfield. Normally its a battering but watching Liverpool at West Ham gave me some confidence.

The scousers moved the ball so slowly giving West Ham time to get back. If they play like that against us we have a decent chance. But bare in mind i haven't tipped a winner in decades. Cry
Report Mr_Spreadsheet November 16, 2021 9:37 AM GMT
Talk of Liverpool being without Henderson, Mane & Firmino too
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com