Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
02 Jul 18 21:10
| Topic/replies: 14,222 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
it's gone JJ, it's gone

here's to Lord Emery and the era.

Hopefully he can bring back the much missed St. Totteringham's day.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View ***** ARSENAL CHIT CHAT *****
Show More
Report lurka May 11, 2019 12:35 AM BST
Jed is right, teams who want to win the PL and CL don't care about the FA cup and haven't done for years, that's the only reason we won it. Valencia away win is not a 'tremendous' result. They are a poor team. More surprising that we actually put in a performance away from home. If we get into the CL we'll be mullered by KO stage teams unless he sorts out the defence. 13 years waiting and counting.

Arsenal have allowed Spurs to take their top 4 CL place without spending money because our owner is an incompetent skinflint who doesn't want to win the big pots. He didn't buy Arsenal to win trophies, his own words. You can start celebrating mediocrity if you want but there's a hell of a lot of work to be done before anything this team does is worth celebrating. Kroenke needs to be gotten rid of before this club becomes top level again. That might take 30 years.
Report Reynard May 11, 2019 1:09 AM BST
In the light of anticipated travel problems for spuds fans in getting to Madrid for less than £2k or Arsenal or Chelsea fans getting to Baku at all , surely it would be better to reach an EFL or FA Cup final at Wembley and only have to worry about a thirty minute tube journey across London for the price of an Oyster card ?
Devil
Report pixie May 11, 2019 11:22 AM BST
Jed is not right. Speaking for myself FA Cup means a hell of a lot, as a small boy growing up Cup Final Day was just that...a whole day dedicated to the two sides who'd made it to the final, the worst loss of all time was getting knocked out at the semi-final stage and missing the biggest day of the British football calendar. The most historic competition steeped in great tradition, it's not all about the Premiership you know and it's money with it's ridiculous Sky hype.
Report Reynard May 11, 2019 12:01 PM BST
pixie speaks for me too , and probably for anyone who has had the fortune to attend a Wembley cup final . An experience and memories that last a lifetime . I still can only recall very little of the more recent season we finished 3rd .
Possibly the reason I get so frustrated with those who prioritise a 'top 4 finish' Crazy
Report sofaking May 11, 2019 4:43 PM BST

May 11, 2019 -- 11:22AM, pixie wrote:

Jed is not right. Speaking for myself FA Cup means a hell of a lot, as a small boy growing up Cup Final Day was just that...a whole day dedicated to the two sides who'd made it to the final, the worst loss of all time was getting knocked out at the semi-final stage and missing the biggest day of the British football calendar. The most historic competition steeped in great tradition, it's not all about the Premiership you know and it's money with it's ridiculous Sky hype.

That was back in the day when the FA Cup actually meant something to the big clubs.  Nowadays teams such as Liverpool and Spurs put out weakened teams even when they get to a FA Cup semi-final.  I doubt Liverpool were devastated when Wolves knocked them out in the 4th round. Since Man U dumped it off for the Super Cup in 1999-2000 it has lost a considerable amount of its prestige.

Report lurka May 11, 2019 5:06 PM BST
Jed didn't say that the FA Cup doesn't mean a lot to you Pixie. He said the big clubs disregard it and that it's not a priority for them. He is right. It is all about money to the bigger clubs and their owners I'm afraid, Arsenal too.
Report Reynard May 11, 2019 7:18 PM BST
sofaking • May 11, 2019 4:43 PM BST
That was back in the day when the FA Cup actually meant something to the big clubs.
Nowadays teams such as Liverpool and Spurs put out weakened teams even when they get to a FA Cup semi-final.

.......... since when were a club without a trophy in ten years classed as a 'big' club ? Another spuds fan talking up his team without anything tangible to show for all their efforts Laugh
Report jed.davison May 12, 2019 9:31 AM BST
I'm a Spurs fan, I know you boys don't like to dwell on it but there was a time when we were the FA Cup team. I was 14 when we beat Man City in 1981, I can still remember both games like they were yesterday, and similar with all the finals from 1973 onwards - it was THE day of the football year, and the whole day would revolve around it.

Three things which none of us can do anything about happened:

The FA devalued their flagship competition to appease Man Utd.

As the Premier League has grown in stature and financial gravity, so the FA Cup has diminished - I could name the Coventry team that beat us in 1987 off the top of my head from 1-11, I couldn't even tell you with any certainty which teams have played in the last few.

And most importantly, we've all got old. It feels to me that to lament the demise of the FA Cup is to lament the loss of one's own innocence. How simple life was then, jumpers for goalposts and let's meet the players in the bus on the way to the ground, FA Cup Question of Sport etc.

In one sense I'm quite envious of people who still feel the magic, like I am with people who find some comfort in religion, but they're sadly all kidding themselves.
Report pixie May 12, 2019 1:40 PM BST
Good post, Jed.

Not all of us are quite so withered and cynical tho, I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself when I say I would willingly swap fourth spot for a Cup Final win.
Report enpassant May 12, 2019 1:41 PM BST
Hope he rest the entire 1st team today.
Report roadrunner46 May 12, 2019 2:32 PM BST
yes squad rotation is the right call today, still need to batter the **** out of those mercenerys today to keep confidence going, plus ive had a small bet, COYGUNNERS
Report Swiss Franc May 12, 2019 4:48 PM BST
Anyone been watching BT Sport s coverage?
Tony Adams on there as a pundit &
very funny he has been
Report the fink sisters May 12, 2019 4:58 PM BST
Congratulations City, and to Liverpool too. To be that many clear of ‘the rest’ is quite an achievement.

Big close season for us, but with our owners I do fear a further few seasons of relative mediocrity.

Embarrassingly, I’m off to the CL final as a corporate husband. Could be a very painful evening if Spuds lift that particular pot.
Report roadrunner46 May 12, 2019 7:51 PM BST
golden boot for the arsenal striker not bad and a good win today
Report roadrunner46 May 12, 2019 7:52 PM BST
whos wilock must be from the academy wonder if hes any good??Laugh
Report the fink sisters May 13, 2019 10:55 AM BST
Great to see the old gag about the bald men and the comb being wheeled out Jed. I’ve also heard Chelsea-Arsenal being likened to two rats fighting over a courgette in a urinal. Nevertheless, to put it into perspective, it’s a first European Final for us in 13 years, so we are right to see it as a big deal and, in the new manager’s first season, a sign of progress. Obviously, it’s not Europe’s elite competition, but after banging our head against a brick wall in that one for years, we cannot in our current state pretend we are an elite club.

Summer recruitment is going to be fascinating and will reveal the strength of Emery’s character. I admired what Pochettino said about Spuds backing him in the transfer market and having a plan for competing for Top 4 or he’d be off sharpish. I’m not sure any of us think that Arsenal actually have a plan.
Report Wesdag May 13, 2019 6:29 PM BST
There's been no semblance of a plan ever since David Dein left.
Report pumphol. May 15, 2019 9:52 PM BST
Bit sureal but was bowling tonight & met Gunnersaurus he was on the opposing team, not that I would know that unless someone told me who he was, 25 years doing it  with the best view in the stadium Grin
Report enpassant May 16, 2019 7:37 PM BST
Arsenal are demanding UEFA guarantees the safety of Henrikh Mkhitaryan ahead of the Europa Cup final in Baku.

The North London club admit they are "hugely concerned" about the midfielder potentially missing the final against Chelsea because of the continuing tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

The Armenia captain missed the Gunners' earlier fixture in the competition against Qarabag in Baku because of the issue, which has flared once again with the Azerbaijani capital city set to host the final.

Hostility remains between the neighbouring countries over the disputed Nagorno Karabakh region, where a ceasefire was declared in 1994 after fighting erupted several years earlier.
Report Reynard May 16, 2019 8:23 PM BST
Third world venue for a first rate final . Whatever could go wrong ? Mischief
Report enpassant May 17, 2019 9:36 AM BST
“....Azerbaijan have banned Armenians from entering the country over tensions between the bordering rivals,” Armenian sports journalist Hrach Khachatryan of VbetNews told football.london.

“If a person’s passport shows any evidence of travel to Nagorno-Karabakh, barring a diplomatic passport, they are forbidden entry to Azerbaijan.

“Moreover, the citizens of any countries having Armenian surnames have almost no chance to travel to Azerbaijan.

“So you can have a UK passport, but if you have an Armenian surname, you will be not allowed to pass the border.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can this be allowed ffs. We should threaten to withdraw from the competition.
Report jed.davison May 17, 2019 11:41 AM BST
Two distinct principles:

Azerbaijan has the right to accept or reject whomsoever it chooses.

UEFA should never award major finals or tournaments to countries which exercise that right arbitrarily or prejudicially.

I have an idea that Arsenal would have made a lot more of the issue under the Dein/Wenger regime, but even so fair play to them for raising it officially.
Report the fink sisters May 17, 2019 1:41 PM BST
Right on both counts Jed.

I believe that FIFA have, in the past, banned countries when their governments meddle in football.
Report jed.davison May 17, 2019 2:10 PM BST
They certainly have but not for something of this nature.

On a brighter note, I see Santi Cazorla has been called up to the Spain squad after a four year absence. Nice to see him back from that injury, smashing player.
Report enpassant May 17, 2019 3:17 PM BST
With players and clubs sanctioned for making political statements this cannot be justified.
We should have a word with the Chavs to see if they would show some solidarity (very unlikely of course since Roman must be looking forward to seeing them play !).
Report Swiss Franc May 21, 2019 12:03 PM BST
Arsenal's Henrikh Mkhitaryan to miss Europa League final against Chelsea

Is that
A-bad News
B good news
C doesn’t matter
Report morpteh mackem May 21, 2019 1:21 PM BST
or d- an absoulte disgrace that a country has been given a final that can't guarantee  a respective players safety bcause of their nationality.
it's like giving a wc finals to a country that is anti-semitic, misogynist and homophobic. oh wait.....
Report the fink sisters May 21, 2019 4:02 PM BST
To make it fair, Chelsea should be forced to leave a player at home. Someone like Hazard, for example.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports May 21, 2019 4:33 PM BST
I hope the stadium is half full, only possible way to prevent something like this happening again, awarding a final to a place that is closer to the Mount Everest than the City where both finalists are from! Chances where it was always going to be contested by two teams from western Europe, UEFA have deliberately priced out fans in order to supplement their own greed, I hope there is some kind of FIFA-esque investigation into the goings ons of how much money and who money is being paid to for a place like Baku to be awarded a major showpiece event. Luckily for them it's two big Premier Leauge teams so probably enough neutrals will show up, imagine if it were a Turkish team v a Ukrainian side.

Micky wont be missed much as he's an underwhelming signing from the beginning, he;s gone downhill fast since being in the Bundesliga team of the year and creating the most assists in the whole season!
Report enpassant May 21, 2019 10:41 PM BST
UEFA are a f..king disgrace.
Report Capt__F May 22, 2019 12:28 AM BST
agree

disgrace to the fans Sad
Report enpassant May 22, 2019 8:05 PM BST
Arsenal say it is 'unacceptable' and they will speak to UEFA...........................AFTER the final. Money money money.
Report Blackrock May 24, 2019 2:01 PM BST
Heard on the radio that Wenger says he's finding it difficult to get a job.
Report Capt__F May 24, 2019 10:53 PM BST
Lidl looking
Report enpassant May 29, 2019 6:50 PM BST
ARSENAL TEAM NEWS

Team to play Chelsea: Cech, Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Koscielny, Monreal, Kolasinac, Torreira, Xhaka, Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette

Subs: Leno, Lichtsteiner, Mustafi, Jenkinson, El Neny, Guenfouzi, Willock, Saka, Amaechi, Iwobi, Nketiah, Welbeck
Report enpassant May 29, 2019 6:52 PM BST
The squad looks like it has a massive hole in it- weak looking bench.
Report enpassant May 29, 2019 6:52 PM BST
CHELSEA TEAM NEWS

Team to play Arsenal: Kepa, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Christensen, Emerson, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Pedro, Hazard, Giroud

Subs: Caballero, Cumming, Alonso, Barkley, Higuain, Zappacosta, Willian ,Cahill, Ampadu, Gallagher, McEachran
Report enpassant May 29, 2019 6:53 PM BST
Hazard aside they really don't look a strong side but......Hazard is a world class player of course.
Report tobermory May 29, 2019 9:56 PM BST
Worst Arsenal final since when ?

Swindon 1969 ?
Report darren_discombobulates_sports May 29, 2019 10:03 PM BST
the league cup final loss to Birmingham in 2011 was pretty bad, they were around 2/5 to win.
Report lurka May 29, 2019 11:23 PM BST
Ozil, Xhaka, Kolasinac as well as Mustafi and Elneny on Ramadan the last 3 weeks. Hardly ideal. But the whole team may as well have been the way they performed. It has become acceptable to play like that in an Arsenal shirt. It's sad to see as a fan and not a new thing by any means, been going on for 10+ years.

The test for Emery is now. Is he going to deal with the defence and sort it out. It should be fairly easy to see if he does but I won't hold my breath as I don't expect him to do much.
Report enpassant May 29, 2019 11:44 PM BST
Willock did more in 10 mins than Xhaka and Ozil put together. Gota say I am beginning worry a little now about Emery. He has had a whole season to watch Xhaka play and hasn't seemed to grasp he is simply a poor player trying to play way above his level. We have kept hearing what a big miss Ramsey was and it looked to me like Willock is probably the closest thing we have to him and he has watched from the sidelines all season. We have to find a way to get shot of Ozil- ffs with Newcastle getting money now we could be in danger (and not only us) of dropping away even further without serious money being pumped into the squad.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports May 30, 2019 12:05 AM BST
Mustafi and Elneny didn't feature and fast or no fast would not have started, Xhaka has been fasting all season based on is abject displays and Ozil's been going through the motions for years and on 350k a week who could blame him for lacking motivation when he looks around and see's so many teammates not up to standard. I am surprised at the scoreline, Chelsea were still there for the taken, they really are an average side, luckily for them they met on too.

I heard someone say a while ago that the reason for Arsenal's collapse end of season is because many of the players don't actually want Champions League football because for them that would mean they'd be sold for better players, guess that conspiracy gained legs tonight as well though don't buy it myself.

Emery really needs to move on Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal, Ozil if he can and Xhaka, along with Elneny who's leaving anyway.

The 3 signings he made were a success, Leno, Sokratis and Torreira, need another 6 or 7 signings, 3 defenders, RB, CB, LB and 4 midfielders, 2 central and wide players with only Torreira staying for me, Wan Bissaka at right back would be great for a start. Hard to see that many and of quality, coming in on a shoe string. Very uncertain times ahead and to be honest, it's really not Emery's fault, you can only do so much with the tools you're given, and the fact is is that Kroenke just doesn't care so unlikely to be given anything more than 60 mil which is almost peanuts in today's market. If there are no significant signings this summer than 5th will be the ceiling next season, can't expect to progress with the status quo.
Report Reynard May 30, 2019 12:44 AM BST
The greatest irony is that Arsenal's best player is now a Chelsea employee Confused
Report lurka May 30, 2019 1:24 AM BST
He'll be given less money now as the CL money made up a large chunk of the budget. The concern for me is the complete lack of organisation defensively and you can't blame that on players, it's the manager's job.

Anyone could tell you where Arsenal have been weak for the last decade and he's done nothing to organise that defence or to make us hard to beat. That should have been the first thing he or any manager tried to do. There is still an air of mediocrity and abysmal performances being acceptable at the club. I don't think all of that would still be there after a year if he was a manager who was going to do something about it.
Report the fink sisters May 30, 2019 11:24 AM BST
Absolutely no complaints last night, simply not good enough. Disappointed to lose, but as I’ve said on here before, Europey League is, unfortunately, our level. By all accounts, the difference in summer budget for CL qualification was an extra £20 million, or one year of Ramsey’s wages at Juve, to put it into context.

A big rebuilding job ahead over a couple of seasons. The three signings alluded to above which were a success were not down to Emery but Mislinat, who they gave the boot to. The beancounters are now firmly in control of the club.

There have been some positives this season: Leno, Torreira, Gendouzi should all improve. Iwobi is improving and I think Maitland-Niles has earned the right to play in a more natural position for him. Willock, Nelson, Smith-Rowe, all young players who may feature more next season. I’d also like them to take a closer look at Bielik, assuming he returns from his loan spell.

I don’t see us bringing in more than three players, and one of those will have to be a back-up goalkeeper. We may again be active in the loan market. Defence is clearly the issue and is an absolute priority. Don’t think we need to add too much to the attack and it looks like we’re stuck with both Ozil  and Mickhy due to a lack of takers, so there’s no room for manoeuvre there.

If we are to push for a top four place, it won’t depend so much on us but on the progress - or lack of it - of the other three also-rans. To that end, Chelsea losing Hazard is a plus for us, and they have their well-documented financial issues. I see Solskjaer’s appointment at Man U as a huge plus and they have a bigger rebuilding job than us but they can throw money at the problem. As for Spuds, if they show some ambition in the summer transfer window, I can only see them pulling away in the short term unless there’s a falling out with the manager, which I see as unlikely.

Off to Madrid tomorrow for the CL final. If the unthinkable happens, I’ll have to fully anaesthetise myself with the sponsors product...
Report darren_discombobulates_sports May 30, 2019 12:00 PM BST
you can't improve a defence when the personnel cannot be changed, Monreal, Kos, Mustafi all over 30, injury prone and past their best, once replaced Emery should be judged on the defence from there, he's still working with mostly Arsene Wenger players who were never good enough especially Xhaka who I can only guess has persisted with him to try and get more money out of a sale, benched all season and they'd be not much re-sale value on the 35mil, I don't know who scouted some of these players but they are partly to blame as well.
Report Blackrock May 30, 2019 8:09 PM BST
What a spineless bunch we really are.

Part of the blame lies with Wenger for the true rubbish he brought to the club. We do not have a world class player and don't tell me how great Auba and Lacca are. They didn't turn up just as the rest didn't.

Im worried about the manager. I know he inherited a bang average set of players, but he does not seem to have attempted to eradicate the old weaknesses we had under AW. I thought he would have made it a priority to coach the defense so each player knew exactly what was expected of him. Didn't happen.

Kolasinac is not even a footballer. Every attempt to cross the ball stopped at Chelsea's first man. Truly think he's a championship player at best. We need to get rid of nearly the entire squad and start again. I know that won't happen and without massive investment [won't happen either] we will be fighting for 6th place for the foreseeable.
Report lurka May 30, 2019 10:33 PM BST
You can improve a defence by organising it and having your midfield protect it. A strategy for when we lose the ball, with players knowing who does what. We don't have any of that. It is the lack of organisation that is more of a problem than the personnel. That and a seeimng acceptance that ridiculously bad performances are common and nothing can be done about it. We are all over the place defensively and have been for 10+ years and it should be obvious to any manager worth his salt that that's the first thing that needs to be sorted.
Report EastLower Gooner May 31, 2019 4:10 PM BST
Most of this lot are dead to me now.

Let us down for the last time. Not to he trusted ever again.

Tired of their YouTube videos, instagrams and tweets.

No doubt others will go rushing out to renew STs and get the Adidas shirts.

Pathetic.

Barring a few players most of them can be let go imo...happily include that vegan SJW Bellerin and PEA in the cull....the cash will come in handy for a couple decent defenders. Plus I doubt we’ll get anything for that fraud Ozil. Just pay off his contract and tell him to p iss off.
Report enpassant June 1, 2019 12:40 AM BST
It looks like a wasted 9 months. We all knew Xhaka was sh!t and Emery could have given Niles or Willock a run of games in that position- we were sh!te there anyway so there was nothing to lose and everything to gain. Now we know f..k all still because they were not given a chance. I had big hopes for Emery but it's hard not to be very worried because a lot of the problems have not been addressed and they could and should have been. If he doesn't get the funds he should walk because he will be the one that gets the flak early doors next season if these abject capitulations continue.
Report lurka June 1, 2019 12:24 PM BST
Jose Antonio Reyes died in a car crash, Sevilla have announced. RIP
Report John.W.Henry. June 1, 2019 12:26 PM BST
Sad
Report Reynard June 1, 2019 12:28 PM BST
Thoughts with his Arsenal family Sad
Report John.W.Henry. June 1, 2019 12:30 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYIvhKNFVg0
Report John.W.Henry. June 1, 2019 12:30 PM BST
How we could have done with some of that quality last wednesday Sad
Report John.W.Henry. June 1, 2019 12:34 PM BST
When events transpire in the strange way they invariably do, it does tend to put many of the other things we all seem to be down about into some sort of context.

That goal i have linked was his first for the club scored against Chelsea
Report enpassant June 1, 2019 2:44 PM BST
35 ffs so sad.
Report EastLower Gooner June 1, 2019 9:26 PM BST
Bellerina, Mustafi, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Ozil, Muppetarian, Elneny, and PEA can all leave.

Also the frauds like Asano and Kelechi Nwakali....go go go.

Get a defence, winger and use the kids to rebuild.

Don’t even care about top 4 anymore. Just rebuild. If it means 7th or 8th then that’s fine as long as we dump these clowns

Don’t care about the Europa League either...1st team the league and the U17s in Europe. Maybe let Guendouzi captain then.

Might come off as harsh but this lot deserve it...been losers for years...failures and just don’t care about anyone but themselves. .
Report darren_discombobulates_sports June 1, 2019 9:41 PM BST
remember his excellent goal against Middlesbrough at Highbury? he turned on the corner of the box with his left foot moving the ball onto his right before drilling into the top corner, that was his best goal imo, felt he was sold too soon and never knew why? maybe because of Van Persie coming through? vaguley remember something about being homesick? gutted to hear this todaySad
Report EastLower Gooner June 1, 2019 10:19 PM BST
Alex Oxlade Chamberlain...Champions League Winner...got his medal.

Lol let that sink in.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports June 1, 2019 11:14 PM BST
he never played a single second, doesn't count imo.
Report John.W.Henry. June 2, 2019 8:39 AM BST
A quick reality check on the Ox..... HE KNEW Cool

There were a few on here ( me included ) who said at the time it was Ozil who needed showing the door and to give the Ox a proper run in the team where he wanted to play. I appreciate he got injured this season but I reckon he will get back into that Liverpool side and cement a position. He is a very good player. Most didnt agree but there we go
Report enpassant June 2, 2019 2:12 PM BST
^He could be decent when running with the ball at players but his passing is shocking and he would have been the answer to none of problems.

Massive summer for Emery as he will be totally exposed to judgement if he keeps deadwood and settles for £40m.
We should already know if Niles or Willock are good enough and maybe save us a huge outlay on a midfielder but we don't and that is on him squarely.
Report John.W.Henry. June 2, 2019 2:27 PM BST
And without doubt Ozil is defo not and he was paid about 200k a week more. That is how pathetic we have become.

Mark my words here.. the Ox will establish himself not only at Liverpool but also the England team ( If he steers clear of further major injury ) and Klopp will turn him into the top quality player he looked he may always become if given the chance rather than moved from pillar to post to plug ever increasing holes.

HE KNEW
Report enpassant June 2, 2019 5:43 PM BST
Do you remember his performance for England - where he gave the ball away more than any other player on the field ? He was in CM and couldn't find a pass for love nor money.  He will have to have been transformed during this injury spell to make him a better passer because- as I stated- his passing short game is shocking- substandard for a CM but he could be a very decent RWB- nothing more.
Report enpassant June 2, 2019 5:44 PM BST
If I recall correctly there was a point where he gave it away 13 times on the bounce.
Report jon b June 3, 2019 9:07 AM BST
Some cracking posts from ELG ref Ozil, been an absolute joke from day one and I still cant recall a performance against a top side at all, also never forget that pathetic penalty against Munich, I don't think he can actually put his foot thru the ball properly ie rifle one from distance, everything seems to have a bow wrapped around it with him, yuk.
Cnat agree with Enp ref the Ox mind, do agree with most of ya points but Ive always been a fan of the Ox, never has a player been messed about more than any manager Id imagine than him, great move to choose Liverpool over Chelsea(clever), and just before the injury he was becoming a big part of the Liverpool team, with goals and some crackers v top sides, (maybe City) and assists, prob his highest return for both in any one season in yrs(needs checking). I,l always look in the future at how his time goes and what he does. Theo on the other hand, bit of a disaster not being able to cement a place at Everton, oh dear.

Ramsey leaving omg what a big mistake that is compared with what we have behind, that Xhaka was made Capt ffs at start of season, Emery,s first mistake but he obv needs some time and not fair to even begin judging him atm with what he has inherited from AW
Report Mr Eboue June 3, 2019 10:35 AM BST
Hi lads.

What a pathetic end to our season. The performances against Palace and Brighton were bad enough, but that horror show against Chelsea was probably one of the worst performances I can remember in my 30 years of supporting the Arsenal.

I just can't get excited about us at the moment. There's so much predictability, it's painful. Next season will be just the same - we'll lose all the important games, beat a few lesser sides, players and fans will talk about top 4 etc but then it will all fall apart....

In my youth I'd get upset whenever a first team player left us, I honestly couldn't care less whoever was sold this summer.

And RIP Jose Antonio Reyes. A fine player who was ruined by those thugs at Old Trafford.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports June 3, 2019 10:44 AM BST
This season really is make or break for Arsenal, if there are no or not enough significant sigings in defence and midfield Arsenal could actually side down to 8th or 9th place, Wolves, Leicester, West Ham, Everton all have good managers with good sides and owners willing to put a bit of money in, then there's Newcastle who could be taken over by the cousin on City's owner, the biggest problem is Stan Kroenke, I don't think he cares, as long as there's no danger of relegation, he didn't even attend the Europa Final. The good news is the Goalkeeper and attack is in good shape and there was a 7 point improvement on last season. If Emery himself however fails to identify what everyone else can see with the defence then it's time to start worrying about him. Still he needs to be given that second season, vast majority of the squad is still Wenger's.
Report Mr Eboue June 3, 2019 10:51 AM BST
Spot on Darren.
Report pixie June 3, 2019 11:39 AM BST
Yes, totally agree with Darren, but think it's important to give Emery some money and just importantly some time. He's not just taking over from a previous coach, he's taking over after a dynasty where EVERYTHING has the previous manager's influence on.
Report Blackrock June 4, 2019 11:58 AM BST
I was always for giving the new manager at least two seasons to allow him to put his own stamp on the side. But Emery has shown himself to be Wenger mark 2.

We had a top 3 finish in our grasp [mainly down to the woefulness of our rivals] yet blew it again. Our ending to the season was absolutely pathetic save Valencia away. The manager does not seem to be able to motivate this lot [ the hand waving on the sidelines against Chelsea]  when 4-1 down was embarrassing to witness.

Maybe nobody can motivate our players but if AW had been in charge of the collapse we had to endure, he would have been strung up by the fans. We know Kroenke won't allow Emery to invest in new players. The make or break time for us was when the board sanctioned Kroenke over Usmanov, only we didn't know it at the time.
Report Wesdag June 4, 2019 3:47 PM BST
10 years of decline will not be rectified in 1 season.

The key priority has to be to get rid of Ozil.

Team morale & motivation can't be great when you have a player on about double the next man, who never turns up in big games & chooses when he does decide to play.
Report lurka June 4, 2019 4:21 PM BST
Reports today that Ozil has been transfer listed after a bust up with Emery. Could be nonsense but essential to get his wages off the books if we want to sign decent players
Report jed.davison June 5, 2019 8:14 AM BST
Such a shame about Jose Antonio Reyes, he was a lovely player to watch, even after all the injuries it was nice to see his skill and touch getting him a decent living.

A reminder to those who may need reminding of the greatest gift Arsenal Wenger gave our football culture - the ability first to appreciate - and now nurture - artistry.

RIP. Always Invincible.
Report Coachbuster June 7, 2019 7:14 PM BST

Jun 5, 2019 -- 8:14AM, jed.davison wrote:

Such a shame about Jose Antonio Reyes, he was a lovely player to watch, even after all the injuries it was nice to see his skill and touch getting him a decent living. A reminder to those who may need reminding of the greatest gift Arsenal Wenger gave our football culture - the ability first to appreciate - and now nurture - artistry.RIP. Always Invincible.

driving at 135 mph ? if i read that correctly ...luckily he didn't kill anyone else in the process Plain

Report jedi sophie June 7, 2019 8:05 PM BST
HE DID!Sad
Report Coachbuster June 7, 2019 8:07 PM BST

Jun 7, 2019 -- 8:05PM, jedi sophie wrote:

HE DID!

i should have said  other innocent road users  jedi  . my bad

Report Storm Alert June 11, 2019 6:53 PM BST
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48593533

Shocked to read this piece about Emmanuel Eboue, I had no idea. Fingers crossed he can turn things around I always liked his attitude as a player for Arsenal, a real tryer who never gave up.
Report roadrunner46 June 12, 2019 2:17 AM BST
emery done the business getting to the final, more of the same hopefully top 4 fish a must i hope next year, hopefully learned lot more about the squad
Report lurka June 13, 2019 10:13 AM BST
https://www.arsenaltrust.org/feed/afc-finances/2019/-SimonHillfinancialanalysis

good article on where we are re transfers etc. Really need to offload a lot of players and get much better value for wages.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports June 13, 2019 5:51 PM BST
Kroneke along with his wife (heiress to the Wal*mart company/richest family in America) donated nearly 100 mil over a 15 year period to certain political figures who's policies were to include not raising the minimum wage in America so it didn't cut into their profits, unfortnantnly they don't care about oridinary people let alone football fans on the other side of the world. No doubt no Champions league football as per lurka's link is a blow to them though but it's his own fault.

Ramsey-Welbeck-Cech-Lichtsteiner leving does reduce weekly wage by £310k a week, could more than double that if Ozil could be sold to China though unlikely.

The players I personally would like to see leave/replced are Koscielny-Monreal-Ospina-Chambers-Jenkinson-Elneny-Mkhitaryan-Kolasinac

who between them cost 694k a week which again puts Ozils wages into perspective, he as one player is just under half of that and I don't think he is an Emery player. Micky (180k a week) and Kolasinac (120k) are two big earners in particular who although free/part of a swap deal don't really offer much value based on what I've seen.

Still optimisitic over potential signings if we can offload a few more players to make way for incomers, but no doubt Emery does have his hands tied somewhat, not many knew about Torreira in England before last season so hopefully there's a few more diamonds in the rough, will be a long time before we're back shopping at Harrods.
Report Wesdag June 17, 2019 5:30 PM BST
Bould replaced by Freddie Ljungberg.

Not before time, has been stealing a living for years.
Report Blackrock June 18, 2019 11:36 AM BST
Bould wasn't given the chance to coach under Wenger. He was never going to be anything more than the man who puts out the cones under Emery.

If you think Freddie will be allowed input under Emery, you will be very much mistaken.
Report Wesdag June 18, 2019 3:38 PM BST
I've no idea what happens at the training ground.

All I know is Bould's impact was negligible if the "defence" was anything to go by.
Report Johnny_Mustang July 6, 2019 5:32 PM BST
Smashed those Boreham Wood mugs 8-0. Normal service resumed, they may as well hand us the Premier League Champions trophy now,
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 11, 2019 5:48 PM BST
Laurent Koscielny has gone on strike after a bitter row over a new contract.

Koscielny, 33, is now facing disciplinary action and being stripped of the captaincy after refusing to fly with the rest of the Arsenal squad to the United States.

But Mirror Sport can reveal the background to the fall-out is that Koscielny has had a three year contract offer from Bordeaux and is also upset at what he sees as being made to take a pay cut by Arsenal.

France defender Koscielny has one year left on his current £120,000-a-week deal, wanted an extension and had held discussions with the club about getting an extra 12 months.

Arsenal were willing to give Koscielny a new two year deal but because of his injury record they offered a lower basic salary which included performance-related pay based on appearances and the option for a free transfer next summer.

But Koscielny rejected the offer, has been left fuming and believes the club should allow him to leave for free now to take up the chance to go home to France with Bordeaux offering a three year deal and that is why he is so upset with Arsenal.

Mirror Sport understands the row has been brewing for some weeks and reached boiling point on Monday when Koscielny turned up and made it clear he did not want to train.

Koscielny has ended up training this week but Arsenal feared the stand-off was coming on Wednesday and their club captain reported today but said he did not want to go to the United States.

It is hard to see a way back for Koscielny as, even with the background to the flare-up, fans are unlikely to forgive his actions as he was under contract and the club captain supposed to be setting an example.

Koscielny could be in hot water (Image: Arsenal FC via Getty Images)
Arsenal do not want to grant the 33-year-old a free transfer and are now making him report up every day, train with the under-23s while the club are in the United States. Koscielny is certain to face more action including a club fine while Granit Xhaka is favourite to get the armband.

Arsenal took the unusual step of issuing a club statement to go on the front foot and it read: "We are very disappointed by Laurent's actions, which are against our clear instructions. We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.”

It is a major headache for Arsenal who are already short defensively and now their captain seems certain to leave after nine years at the club.

Arsenal have already signed St Etienne youngster William Saliba but will loan him back for next season and Rob Holding could miss the start of the season as he battles back from a knee injury.

They already wanted another senior centre half even before the Koscielny row and now this will only intensify the search although it could also offer the chance for Konstantinos Mavropanos or Calum Chambers to step up.
Report Johnny_Mustang July 11, 2019 8:47 PM BST
Nowhere near the player he used to be. Time for him to move on.
Report lurka July 12, 2019 8:59 AM BST
xhaka captain lol. Get rid of the manager if that happens
Report dambuster July 12, 2019 9:33 AM BST
Wenger said he thought Koscielny was the best defender in the world, that was because he was surrounded by 5hit defenders who made him look good
Report Blackrock July 12, 2019 10:25 AM BST
Kos past his sell by date i'm afraid. Was our best CB since Sol but that might not be saying much.

Papers reported we put in a 40 mill bid for Zaha, plus we'd throw in Elnenny, Chambers and some other mug. Bet Palace thought long and hard about that?Grin
Report lurka July 16, 2019 9:34 AM BST
I see a number of the supposed 'top' blogger fans have got together to write a letter to Kroenke voicing their concerns about the direction he is taking. Probably too little too late. Should have done this at least 5 years ago. I wonder how many of them are still paying for season tickets at the same time?

Why are we going after Zaha or attacking players? We scored more than Chelsea, Spurs and Man U last season. We can't afford Zaha but can afford to get some better defenders in. If the defence isn't revamped then forget about any progress being made.
Report dambuster July 16, 2019 11:24 AM BST
Nobody at the club knows how to teach defending
Report EastLower Gooner July 16, 2019 1:55 PM BST
The Tierney Deal break down leak...

£15.5m up front
£2.5m season 2
£1.5in season 3
£0.5m in season 4
£50k for every game started and completed in season 1
£5k for every game started and completed in season 2
£1k for every game started and completed in season 3
£100 for every game started and completed in season 4
£2,000 for every substitute appearance in seasons 1 and 2
£1,000 for every substitute appearance in seasons 3 and 4
£5,000 for every goal scored in seasons 1 and 2
£1,000 for every goal scored in season 3
£250 for every goal scored in season 4
£10k for every man of the match performance in seasons 1 and 2
£5k for every man of the match performance in seasons 3 and 4
£2.99 from every Tiereny shirt sale in the online store in seasons 1 and 2
£0.99 from every Tiereny shirt sale in the club shop in seasons 1 and 2
£0.99 from every Tiereny shirt sale in the online store in seasons 3 and 4
£0.49 from every Tiereny shirt sale in the club shop in seasons 3 and 4
One Time £250,000 payment split over remaining seasons for CL qualification

Shocked
Report jed.davison July 16, 2019 3:36 PM BST
CL qualification LOL
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 16, 2019 4:49 PM BST
this seems a real mess, I can't see a top 4 finish if no defenders are bought, or even if Tierney signs as the only players, Kos is damaged goods now and has to go, even if forced to stay he'd be stripped of capitancy and would give his all as his heart is no longer in it, it's ironic fans want him to leave, he wants to leave, but the club want to keep him! Mustafi has to go asap, to add more confusion rumours are Dani Alves is to sign of a free for one year til Bellerin comes back...a 36 year old replacing a 36 year old lichtsteiner who was awful, that Tierney deal breakdown really brings home why it's always such a struggle to get deals done and gets deals over the line full stop if that's how they're often structured, whereas United go out and by Wan-Bissaka early doors and have done with it, now any arrival will be late for pre season, take more time to bed in and understand what Emery wants from him, not a well run club off the pitchSad
Report EastLower Gooner July 16, 2019 5:57 PM BST
Josh Kronke just releases an open letter to all fans.

Didn’t answer anything and told everyone to go f••k themselves.
Report EastLower Gooner July 16, 2019 7:55 PM BST
The next time something needs to be said I think it would be better if it came from the ol man.
Report pixie July 16, 2019 10:12 PM BST
I don't think I'll go up there next season, only did a couple of matches last season. Feck em!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com