Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tobermory
04 Nov 17 23:58
| Topic/replies: 56,053 | Blogger: tobermory's blog
wtf

Guy is finished
Pause Switch to Standard View David Moyes to manage West Ham ?
Show More
Report stickyvicky November 4, 2017 11:23 PM GMT
Report tobermory November 4, 2017 11:44 PM GMT

Nov 5, 2017 -- 12:21AM, Ibrahima Sonko wrote:

Who should WHU appoint given their current situation ?Name them.Im no fan of Moyes or Alladyce.

Offer it to Ancellotti who would probably say no , then Rodgers who'd probably say yes

Report sparrow November 4, 2017 11:49 PM GMT
We need somebody strong he will stand up to the board otherwise it will be a pointless exercise.
Report jedi sophie November 5, 2017 12:07 AM GMT
Rodgers say yes....lol
Report n88uk November 5, 2017 12:24 AM GMT
They'd have to have lost the plot to offer it to Moyes. The owners can't be so out of touch to not realise he'd be a hugely unpopular appointment, thus up against it from the off, as unless he starts well the fans who are hardly the most patient at West Ham will be on his back straight away. On top of that what evidence would you use for Moyes being the answer, he's flopped 3 straight jobs and just took a club down last season. You'd rather take a stab in the dark than go with Moyes.
Report lurka November 5, 2017 8:15 AM GMT
Don't see how any player could be motivated to play well by Moyes. He has zero respect from players.
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 5, 2017 8:15 AM GMT
To be fair to moyes he took united to seventh and bought one of ther biggest players to the club in fellaini so I quite like him
Report Can't Catch Me November 5, 2017 11:01 AM GMT
Just can't believe the lack of insight and imagination from some of these owners.

West Ham are a big club, who have plenty of appeal. Why would you settle for a Manager with a recent record as poor as David Moyes? Just baffling. There can't be many industries like Football Management, where abject failure doesn't seem to stop you getting good jobs.
Report stickyvicky November 5, 2017 3:34 PM GMT
David Moyes, 19 years in management

Honours -

Preston North End - Football League Second Division: 1999–2000

Manchester United - FA Community Shield: 2013
Report Platini November 5, 2017 3:45 PM GMT
Report ffaith November 5, 2017 4:00 PM GMT
6 teams r trying to win something.  14 just want to survive/protect their owners investment.  Even the most comfortable of the 14(Everton)are just 1 bad transfer window away from a relegation battle.

I thought the Puel appointment gave the Ranier appointment some context.  I used to think the Rannier app. was part of some master plan to win something but it was probably just about surving.  Wasn't the Ranieri mantra that title season all about surving?

When you are 1 of the 14 and not run well and the owners are cheap and panic eventually they will be linked to names like Moyes.
Report tobermory November 6, 2017 8:35 PM GMT
Poll on West Ham's forum

[POLL] Moyes or Pardew?

Given a choice of two, which of the following would you prefer to succeed Slaven Bilic?

David Moyes  23  5%
Alan Pardew 435 94%

Total votes : 458
Report Can't Catch Me November 6, 2017 8:44 PM GMT
Jesus. When Alan Pardew is your preferred choice, it shows just how bad the options are.
Report sparrow November 6, 2017 8:49 PM GMT
I'm a West Ham fan and no nothing about this poll but Pardew would not be my choice.
I'm not convinced about Moyes but think he ought to get another chance.
Report sparrow November 6, 2017 8:53 PM GMT
*know nothing about this poll.
Report treetop November 6, 2017 9:34 PM GMT
You must be out of yourminds taking Moyes,worth betting heavily on the relegation odds now.Wait for his second interview, first will be optimistic he can turn it around,second will be preparig the fans and the media for the worst to get his excuses in early and disheartening the team.
Report Captain carnage November 6, 2017 9:55 PM GMT
Serious question?

Why would any board take into account fans preferance for the managers job?

What qualifications would the average fan have of knowing anything about a prospective manager?

My guess would be less than 1%.

Remeber less than 1% of Leicester fans wanted Ranieri and less than 0.05% of the media thought he was a good appointment.
Report Captain carnage November 6, 2017 9:56 PM GMT
You would find 99.5% of all Liverpool fans thinking Klop would do a better job than Rodgers!

Again, hundereds of thousands of people well and truly wrong.
Report themover November 6, 2017 9:57 PM GMT
I suppose the last 3 boards that sacked him might be a pointer Tongue Out
Report Captain carnage November 6, 2017 9:59 PM GMT
I am an everton fan and I always felt Moyes was hugely overrated at Everton and now he is being given a less than fair time over his recent record.

He is a bang average prerm manager who would probably keep West Ham up. I expect him to do slightky better than Bilic would and slightly less well than Alydyce or Pullis would.
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 6, 2017 10:18 PM GMT
He was probably approached by Everton but decided on westham
Report themover November 6, 2017 10:33 PM GMT
I think a few days ago in an interview he said he would go back to Everton, so I guess he wasn't asked
Report n88uk November 6, 2017 11:35 PM GMT
There's also that fans in an appointment like this will be relevant.

Moyes' appointment will be so unpopular wouldn't surprise me if he gets Moyes out chants first games, and if he starts poorly the fans will turn on him so fast the place will be toxic.

Ultimately though why on earth West Ham who on budget should be comfortably a top half club would look to employ a manager who has failed his last 3 jobs, and doesn't even have a history of getting clubs out of relegation given he was just appointed to do that last season and took the club down is just unbelievable from the owners. I've been joking for years only reason to appoint Moyes is you need a fall guy to take the flak to oversee the transition of relegation, is that what West Ham are looking for? Wouldn't surprise me if he gets sacked before season is over though.
Report the bairn November 6, 2017 11:52 PM GMT
ffs,4th bottom would be a success for a "big club" like West Ham. cheers.
Report Captain carnage November 6, 2017 11:56 PM GMT
Moyes got Everton out of a relegation situation in his first season there.
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 7:59 AM GMT
A few people on here should have gone to bed a little earlier. I expect many were saying the same things when Allardyce was appointed at West Ham and continued to rubbish him all the way through his time as manager there.
Report degsy42 November 7, 2017 8:02 AM GMT
Karen brady does the apprentice you know so she must know a good manager , NOT , stand by for a few of moyes excuses "ifithadnerbinfer
Report JC1326 November 7, 2017 8:37 AM GMT
From the West Ham owners the other day:

"We see this as an exciting opportunity to appoint a quality manager to the position to inject fresh ideas, organisation and enthusiasm into a very talented squad.

So I'm assuming the guy they wanted was unavailable and they went with Moyes instead?
Report JC1326 November 7, 2017 8:40 AM GMT
In all seriousness, Puel to Leicester and now Moyes coming back. It's like a concerted effort from PL chairman to make the EPL the worlds most boring league
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 8:48 AM GMT
JC1326    07 Nov 17 08:40 
In all seriousness, Puel to Leicester and now Moyes coming back. It's like a concerted effort from PL chairman to make the EPL the worlds most boring league

That would depend on how you define the word "boring"
Report morpteh mackem November 7, 2017 8:54 AM GMT
football must be one of only businesses that constantly rewards failure.
Report tobermory November 7, 2017 9:42 AM GMT

Nov 7, 2017 -- 7:59AM, sparrow wrote:

A few people on here should have gone to bed a little earlier. I expect many were saying the same things when Allardyce was appointed at West Ham and continued to rubbish him all the way through his time as manager there.

Appointing Moyes now is nothing like appointing Allardyce in 2012. Allardyce had not been a total failure in his previous jobs.

Report n88uk November 7, 2017 10:15 AM GMT
Most non-West Ham fans thought Allardyce was a good appointment, it was only the actual West Ham fans that hated him. Most fans respect Allardyce for what he is, his record speaks for itself in that nearly all his clubs achieve their objectives.
Report n88uk November 7, 2017 10:15 AM GMT
Wouldn't surprise me if Moyes gets sacked by Jan-Feb.
Report badjoe November 7, 2017 11:09 AM GMT

'Hello Georgie'
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 12:26 PM GMT
It is not only West Ham fans that have rubbished Allardyce as plenty of others on here were doing it all the time with daft comments such as "how many trophies has he won"
Moyes may well be a failure but I shall give him my support as manager of the team until such time as that may happen.
Report stewarty b November 7, 2017 12:42 PM GMT
Hammers joint chairman David Sullivan said the 54 year-old Scot is "the right man to turn things around".

"He is highly respected within the game".

This man is living in cuckooland. He is a dud whom I personally wouldn't let manage a league two side. It truly beggars belief.

Nothing against the Hammers but I would put the spread on their next year's home attendances at 18,000-23,000.

I just hope the club can recover from this setback when they appoint the next manager.
Report Crisp77 November 7, 2017 12:43 PM GMT
Looks like they sent the headhunter out to get Gordon Strachan and there was a dire misunderstanding.
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 12:46 PM GMT
I will happily take that bet stewarty.  We have exceeded those totals on a regular basis in the second tier.
Report stewarty b November 7, 2017 12:56 PM GMT
The main point I was trying to make sparrow is that with this poultice in charge I personally think the Hammers are doomed for relegation. I don't wish that but they could have tried a better Scottish manager and put a call up to Aberdeen. A man full of promise who wouldn't take any sh1t from the board.

As for attendances my own club Rangers still got home crowds of 50,000 when we were booted into the fourth tier but that's a different story.
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 1:00 PM GMT
We shall see stewarty, but for the meantime I shall support the manager and the team.
Report stewarty b November 7, 2017 1:03 PM GMT
We have exceeded those totals on a regular basis in the second tier.

With respect sparrow, 25,000 might have looked OK at Upton Park but that amount wont look pretty in a 60,000 capacity stadium.
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 1:11 PM GMT
You said 18000-23000, stewarty. We will exceed that was my answer and that will be if relegated otherwise an average of 45,000.
Report stewarty b November 7, 2017 1:16 PM GMT
At the end of the day whatever will be will be for the Hammers but it's down to the board that Moyes has got the job. What other Premiership board would give this man a job??
Report stewarty b November 7, 2017 1:20 PM GMT
One thing for sure sparrow and I hope it doesn't happen is that if you do go down West Ham will break the record for the highest ever Championship attendance and that's guaranteed when a certain Millwall come calling.
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 1:22 PM GMT
It was a question of who was available and would they do a better job than Bilic. The board have invested a great deal of money in the club and whilst I'm not keen on Sullivan we have to trust their judgement on this.
Report Blackrock November 7, 2017 1:23 PM GMT
Look at the facts of Moyes career without jumpimg on the bandwagon of criticism.

No doubt he did very well at Everton. They are 'best of the rest' but now they are struggling bigtime. Never happened under Moyes.
Inherited the worst Man Utd team in decades. He wanted to buy big but board told him no. Was given very little time to turn things around before he was sacked. Mourinho given 300m to improve things.That opportunity easn't given to Moyes.

I know he rubbed one or two Utd players up the wrong way, but he had to establish his authority.
Very hard to manage abroad especially if you do not speak the lingo. Always going to be a tough ask in Spain.

Finally Sunderland. When he agreed to take over, he analysed the squad and told directors he needed several players in the transfer window. Sunderland board said no, and Moyes told them that they would be going down if they didn't invest in players.

Gets a bad press when the facts suggest differently.
Report TheBaron November 7, 2017 1:25 PM GMT
Moyes has benefited from what in the 80's was called the IBM effect.  Back then if you had IBM on your CV others would employ you simply because IBM at some point had, regardless of how useless you were in your recent jobs.

Moyes had 10 years at Everton and was deemed good enough to be Man utd manager.  His own personal IBM effect has landed him another job.
Report stewarty b November 7, 2017 1:27 PM GMT
Just had a look at the Championship table and surprisingly there are some big clubs in it who would fare and have fared well in the Premiership.
Report Captain carnage November 7, 2017 1:48 PM GMT
Football is boring.

Moyes was never as good and most people claimed when he was Everton and he is not as bad as 98% of the people are saying he is because he made a mess of United/Sunderland.
Report Captain carnage November 7, 2017 1:49 PM GMT
Is there a current British manager who has sustained a `level of success' over a long period time lie Big Sam?
Report stewarty b November 7, 2017 2:00 PM GMT
lie Big Sam

A Freudian slip?
Report donny osmond November 7, 2017 2:39 PM GMT
ellis short will be on fax machine with a list of christmas goodies
Report n88uk November 7, 2017 2:48 PM GMT
Blackrock • November 7, 2017 1:23 PM GMT
Look at the facts of Moyes career without jumpimg on the bandwagon of criticism.

No doubt he did very well at Everton. They are 'best of the rest' but now they are struggling bigtime. Never happened under Moyes.
Inherited the worst Man Utd team in decades. He wanted to buy big but board told him no. Was given very little time to turn things around before he was sacked. Mourinho given 300m to improve things.That opportunity easn't given to Moyes.

I know he rubbed one or two Utd players up the wrong way, but he had to establish his authority.
Very hard to manage abroad especially if you do not speak the lingo. Always going to be a tough ask in Spain.

Finally Sunderland. When he agreed to take over, he analysed the squad and told directors he needed several players in the transfer window. Sunderland board said no, and Moyes told them that they would be going down if they didn't invest in players.

Gets a bad press when the facts suggest differently.

Anyone can be defended when your facts are lies.

Had money at Man Utd but didn't know how to spend it. Thought he had deals for Fabregas, Bale, Ronaldo (the fact he thought he had deals and thought he was getting any of them shows you how out of touch out of his depth he was) when none were ever gonna sign, ended up panic signing Fellaini last minute for 5m more than he could have got him a month earlier, a clause he had to know about given he'd been at Everton, but he needed to sign someone. The "worst Man Utd team in decades" also won the title by 11 points the previous season, he turned them into the worst Man Utd team in decades. It would have been lunacy to give him more time given the direction things were doing.

He spent like 40m at Sunderland on utter rubbish, likes to play the he didn't have any money card, but he did spend money, and it was on rubbish players. Took a squad that had finished the previous season very well under Allardyce to escape relegation, kept that squad in tact and added to it and Moyes took them to comfortably the worst team in the league.
Report the bairn November 7, 2017 2:49 PM GMT
Blackrock, you're too sensible to be on this thread, mind you there are a lot of sheep just following some thickos, I don't think Moyes was sacked at Sunderland these guys make things up to suit their twisted arguments, give him a chance ffs. cheers.
Report n88uk November 7, 2017 2:51 PM GMT
Yes too sensible when he just spouts factually incorrect information presented as "facts".
Report stewarty b November 7, 2017 2:53 PM GMT
give him a chance ffs

Hope you're still posting that in ten years time wherever he is.
Report peter the butcher November 7, 2017 4:21 PM GMT
Seems a strange appointment to me. I don't know how long his contract is but he's very much a long term manager. In other words don't expect your team to improve or even remain at the same level in his first few years. I can't believe that he would have been brought in short term to save West ham from relegation? he's totally the wrong man if that is really the case. They'd have been better of getting Big Sam, Warnock or even Dave Basset for that.

When he took over at United they'd just won the league by 11 points and if they hadn't eased up it could have been 15-16 points. Loads of rubbish about it being an ageing team and not very good. Yes, poor teams romp to league titles don't they? Every year Fergie won the league people said he wouldn't do it the next year and all he did was tweak a few player, couple of fresh faces, couple of youth players and they'd win the league again.

Moysie came in, got rid of the entire backrpoom staff including the goalkeeping coach and brought in his own people. Unbelievable?? Imagine that Apple gets rid of its MD and brings in the MD from UsedPhones Direct, he then gets rid of all the Apple people and brings in his people from Usedphones. The Apple people are used to being number one, usedphones people see no 4 as their holy grail. Why would you drag your new environment down to that lower ambition as soon as you get there.

He tried to start out with a tough style and even publicly wrote Rooney off pre season. Then he lowered expectation so much it became embarrassing at press conferences. He looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. He was used to the odd win in 3 games being good enough and suddenly he was questioned when United didn't win (nearly every week).

His motto was that you start the match with a point and if you still had that point at the end of the match it was a good result. We lost at home to Newcastle and he said post match "we had a plan to make it as hard as possible for Newcastle", F ucking hell???? We got hammered at home by Liverpool and City and he fobbed it off and said "we aspire to be like City". Clearly that didn't go down well with the fans. Champions and he thought he was doing a good job as we lingered outside the top six playing attack and defence.

In training once he asked Giggs if the lads would mind staying behind for some extra training. Giggs asked him what they would be doing. Moysie said some more laps and running. Giggs shrugged his shoulders and said the lads had done running all week. Moysie said "You have to do the running off the ball as the opposition have it" Giggs replied "we're Man United boss, we'd hope we had the ball". He had such little respect from the players that it became a joke. His assistant Phil Neville became known as "f uck off Phil" because that would be the answer to anything he suggested on behalf of Moyes.

Rio and Vidic fell out with him because he kept telling them "how Jagielka did it at Everton". Rio asked him how many medals Jagielka had won.

Initially United fans were furious with the players and the obvious discord between the players and Moysie and we gave Moyes better support than any manger we've given other than Fergie. however it quickly became apparent Moysie hadn't got a clue what he was doing.

I promise you he will think a 2-0 home defeat to your relegation rivals showed promise and that they would be better the next match and he will keep this going for the entire season and the same again in The Championship if he's still there.

West Ham have always been known as a football playing team. Moysie's football makes Mourinho's style look like Brazil of the 1970's. Do you want that?

Hope I've given you West Ham fans plenty of encouragement Grin By the way he started off really well at United so don't be fooled. It just means his team haven't yet adapted to his methods. The losses will confirm when they have adhered to them...

Good luck
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 7, 2017 5:01 PM GMT
That's a pretty exhaustive view of his time with united I would say he did get that team to seventh was a bit unlucky in the cl and signed a player who was laughed at but is now seen as one of the best and most important at the club

The team he left went onto finish fourth n sixth under two of the most well regarded managers in world football so in terms of league performance not disaterous

I think if you give him any team in the prem and give him time he could get them to seventh and I include city in that
Report peter the butcher November 7, 2017 5:14 PM GMT
1.01 that a Liverpool fan would come on and defend Moyes, yet when he was at United they had banners mocking him as a football genius. Liverpool fans also think United should have kept LVG. Funny old thing that isn't it?
Report peter the butcher November 7, 2017 5:16 PM GMT
It might have exhausted you reading my post RP but nowhere near as exhausting as having him here for the 8 months or whatever.
Report rommel November 7, 2017 5:26 PM GMT
pete you need to stick with managers as they take you down the table,wheres youre fckn loyalty pal,moysie was a star you just couldnt see it,but us ABU'S could,ohhhh yeshhhhh,and lvg...if only you could open your mind to the plan,who could resist that klingon deathgrip on the fckn notebook,shexxxy as fook he was
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 7, 2017 5:28 PM GMT
I would and could not defend him i said when he was appointed he would get u too seventh and exhaustive is not same as exhausted also I think your new  manager is a perfect fit
Report peter the butcher November 7, 2017 5:40 PM GMT
I thought it best to back up my views RP, its not as simple as Moyes was sh1t.

Must admit I didn't read your last line about him being good enough to take City to seventh given time Laugh
Report Injera November 7, 2017 5:57 PM GMT
Good stuff pete. (I think!!)

I have a mixture of fear and hope. You have to realise how bad it's been with Bilic. We're on course to concede 75 goals thanks to him. Payet bailed him out so many times.

Bilic has no idea. 12 months ago we conceded a goal from OUR corner at West Brom. Did the same to the Mickeys on saturday. Nothing changes. Last December we played Hull at home. They were bottom. Each time WE got a corner we looked like conceding. We were laughing in the stands.

Please don't mention the west ham way. Embarrassing beyond belief! All fans of all clubs want to see pretty one twos etc and yet we seem to think we have a copyright on it...

Doubt if I've seen entertaining football over there 1 season in 5.

Moyes may not be Fergie and it may well be a car crash but I think he has an easy job to improve a half decent squad to mid table mediocrity. Relegation never usually bothers me but in that Bowl I'd be worried.
Report peter the butcher November 7, 2017 6:14 PM GMT
He will definitely get you organised injera, and the players will be fitter than they have ever been in their lives. You won't concede the sort of goals you are conceding at the moment as you will have numbers behind the ball. However he will leave the offensive stuff until last so your creative players are going to have sort that themselves.

the big thing for me is his lack of ambition but without being disrespectful I suppose your ambition will be different to United. Some of yours weren't happy with Big Sam which doesn't augur well for how Moyes will set you up.

On the plus side Phil Neville told Gary that Moyes is looking really well and has got his hunger and enthusiasm back (In his latter days at United I swear he looked really ill)

Moyes knows this his last chance at a top level job and he desperately needs to get off to a good start. If you are ok with mid table, he's your man. Wherever he gets you to he will see that as success and a springboard for the next season
Report mafeking November 7, 2017 6:19 PM GMT
he will need to get up and running from day one. after the first 3 games some horrific looking fixtures in december

with the promoted teams all looking half decent plenty of scope for a big team to go down this year
Report degsy42 November 7, 2017 6:23 PM GMT
David Moyes is a football genius
Report Injera November 7, 2017 6:35 PM GMT
Mid table is fine pete. We're labelled as moaners (among other things) but like most fans we're happy with small mercies. Wembley the other night was decent so I hear..

December's fixtures are indeed horrific mafe. Don't be a fan unless you have a sense of humour.. All sport teaches us how to lose.
Report hippie November 7, 2017 6:55 PM GMT
You won't concede the sort of goals you are conceding at the moment as you will have numbers behind the ball.

In the 13/14 season United kept 4 clean sheets in 18 games home and away against the top 10 (won 3). Over the season: 32% clean sheets at home; 37% clean sheets away (total 34%).

Nothing Moyes did at United suggests he'll tighten up WHam's defence.
Report n88uk November 7, 2017 7:18 PM GMT
The problem I see with Moyes is he has a tendency to bring a negative mentality to the club. He'll start talking about relegation within weeks I imagine. At Utd he was constantly talking about not having the quality (this after saying when he first come in he had the squad to challenge on all fronts), he alienates his players, then he'll say some silly remark in some game you get embarrassed in and totally lose the fans (though I assume he will struggle to even get the West Ham fans on side in first place).

You need unity if you're gonna be in a relegation battle, Moyes has done a terrible job of that at his last 3 clubs and lost players at all of them.
Report n88uk November 7, 2017 7:19 PM GMT
The 6 month deal is hardly a show of faith from the owners either despite all the bluster they're coming out with about him the right man. It screams a get out in case he flops so they can sack him on the cheap in a few months.
Report morpteh mackem November 7, 2017 7:24 PM GMT
moyes started talking about relegation after our first home game last season - well done dave just gve the players a get out clause with your low expectations.
think west ham will get out of it but will have nowt to do with moyes, be because of the players.
there are easily 3 worse team anyway and can see swansea sinking to bottom if they keep the king of bluffers.
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 7:39 PM GMT
morpteh mackem    07 Nov 17 19:24 
moyes started talking about relegation after our first home game last season - well done dave just gve the players a get out clause with your low expectations.
think west ham will get out of it but will have nowt to do with moyes, be because of the players.
there are easily 3 worse team anyway and can see swansea sinking to bottom if they keep the king of bluffers.

If you watched our side every week you would know that "the players" left to their own devices are incapable of avoiding trouble. The defence is virtually non existent and needs proper organisation.
Report peter the butcher November 7, 2017 7:43 PM GMT
Fair point Hippie but that can be misleading

The United team Moysie inherited took a lot of risks when chasing games under Fergie so the following stats are also a bit misleading.

But in Fergie’s last season the team conceded 43 goals which is exactly how many they conceded in Moyes season (obv Giggs took last few matches)

The goals scored was obv hugely different as was almost everything else that mattered.

When Moysie went to Sociedad he took over for the last 27 League games in his first season and they conceded 40 goals. That’s not bad when you have to play Barca and Real Madrid. I watched a few Sociedad games out of interest and they were horrendous although he did “mastermind” a 1-0 win over Barca.

Whether he succeeds or not, his number one target will be the defence.
Report Injera November 7, 2017 8:32 PM GMT
If he tightens the defence  we have enough going forward to win some games.

A contract till May suits both parties. Moyes is sensible enough to realise he's on probation.

There are 20 teams in this league, out of interest how many fans are happy with their lot?

7 at a stretch I reckon.
Report annie. November 7, 2017 8:38 PM GMT
Another decision on the cheap.  Same old West Ham.

Moyes is not an inspiring manager and with his past history I cannot see how he can motivate players who probably earn more than him.
Report degsy42 November 7, 2017 8:39 PM GMT
ifithadnerbinfer
Report sofaking November 7, 2017 8:43 PM GMT
Pleasing appointment.  Think he'll take West ham to the Championship.
Report annie. November 7, 2017 8:46 PM GMT
Laugh
Report mafeking November 7, 2017 8:55 PM GMT
i'd go as far as 8. the 3 promoted sides, city, spurs, chelsea, burnley and watford
Report peter the butcher November 7, 2017 9:11 PM GMT
Chelsea happy with their lot?
Report sparrow November 7, 2017 9:12 PM GMT
mafeking    07 Nov 17 20:55 
i'd go as far as 8. the 3 promoted sides, city, spurs, chelsea, burnley and watford

Is this your pools entry for next week?
Report hippie November 7, 2017 9:15 PM GMT
How much money do you give a manager on a 6 month contract in the January transfer window?
Report The Dragon November 7, 2017 9:15 PM GMT
terrible and unbelivable decsion by another set of out of touch owners , sorryu hammers fans it will be some time since you see the beautiful game again .. dire decsion
Report pumphol. November 7, 2017 10:07 PM GMT
At the end of the day have WHU got a decent enough squad to stay up the answer is yes, the new manager would have to really fack up  to blow this chance imo, the likelyhood is he will keep them up whether that's success is a different matter entirely.
Report Hamsterdam November 8, 2017 2:01 AM GMT
This shows how much the Premier League misses Aston Villa if West Ham are now considered a "big club".
Report sparrow November 8, 2017 7:37 AM GMT
Hamsterdam    08 Nov 17 02:01 
This shows how much the Premier League misses Aston Villa if West Ham are now considered a "big club".

Yes all the big clubs play in claret and blue.
Report Blackrock November 8, 2017 10:54 AM GMT
Moyes short spell at Man Utd.

No matter what anyone says Moyes inherited an ageing and very average side. When they won the league in 2013 it was down to SAF's genius and some poor opposition.

Ferdinand 35 Giggs 40 Scholes 39 were ending their careers. Along with Rafael, Jonny Evans,Phil Jones,Buttner, Cleverley,Anderson,Nani,Young, Hernandez, Welbeck. Only Van Persie and Rooney could be considered to be class. So i think Fergie left at the right time and whoever had taken over that squad would have had a hard time.

Giggs saying to Moyes 'we're Man Utd boss, we'd hope we had the ball' when asked to do some defensive running in training. WTF.

Utd haven't got much better since. LVG and Mourinho both very negative managers. Utd's current squad is bang average and maybe only De Gea would get into the current City team.
Report n88uk November 8, 2017 2:39 PM GMT
The problem is you could have identified some of those problems in pre-season. Moyes shot himself in the foot by firstly saying he had a squad to challenge on all fronts then months later slagging off the squad as not good enough and everyone knows we need players (something he tends to do at every club recently to deflect). Moyes wasted that entire summer on wild goose chases, that bizarre very public Fabregas chase when he kept going back despite their being no sign of Fabregas or Barcelona being interested, the Bale chase which was just wasting time, everyone knew he was going to Real Madrid for months, all this offering more money than Real Madrid, waste of time as it just wasn't happening. Then the idea of Ronaldo could join, which again was a non-starter.

The final point depends on your definition of much better, things have never been as bad as under Moyes again. Under Moyes is literally the only time as a Utd fan I went into games like home to Liverpool not just thinking we would get beaten, but knowing we would be well beaten, it was that bad. LvG didn't do that well really but it was still significantly better than Moyes.

A lot of things it's easy to say in hindsight too. Utd were 1.1 to finish top 4 when Moyes first took over, the fact they didn't would have been hugely surprising if was said before the fact (in fact my thread here of Utd won't finish under top 4 under Moyes from the off was heavily slated), after the fact it's been kind of written like it was expected because of the squad, but it really wasn't at the time, the idea of Utd finishing out of top 4 was unfathomable.
Report n88uk November 8, 2017 2:45 PM GMT
I also wouldn't be surprised if the Utd team of now is probably as good as the one in Fergie's final years, it's just the opposition is significantly better than those final years under Fergie now. The top teams in the Prem except for Man City had gone into a real decline at the start of this decade, which then continued with Utd going into significant decline post-Fergie.

The top teams now are probably all significantly stronger than 5-6 years ago with exception of maybe Arsenal, which is shown by the ease they're all qualifying in the Champions League now which had become a real struggle even for Utd around that time (I know Chelsea won it, but it was hardly the strongest Chelsea side that won it).
Report 6troytown November 8, 2017 3:00 PM GMT
moyes was asuccess at everton with no cash was always top 6 do peuple forget?
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 8, 2017 3:02 PM GMT
Not quite always top six but did get them there
Report sparrow November 8, 2017 3:28 PM GMT
6troytown    08 Nov 17 15:00 
moyes was asuccess at everton with no cash was always top 6 do peuple forget?

I think some people are only interested in talking about Man Utd. Nothing much else is relevant to them.
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER November 8, 2017 3:44 PM GMT
I'm not sure what he can d different to bilic only offer a different face maybe increase the running and fitness levels

Come over as a bit stricter he's not going to suddenly change his whole coaching ethos over night

He's limited in his thinking but If the players respond to the different approach then they should finish above enough teams

To survive but it could be tight
Report 6troytown November 9, 2017 11:10 AM GMT
Iwii always support british manager moyes job with the irons is not winning trophies but staying up and a cup run.What i do get angry is clubs safe in prem who put out weak teams in fa cup eg bnemth newcastle  etc shows contempt for fans newcastle have been guilty of this for years
Report BARROWBOY November 9, 2017 2:13 PM GMT
problem is that in jan/feb no middle of the table team knows for sure theyre safe.if you asked the supporters of aston villa,hull & wigan if they would trade their recent cup final appearance for a place in the premier league im pretty sure they would.
Report 6troytown November 10, 2017 1:01 PM GMT
Please allow him some time to get it right forget whm academy that died years ago just keep them up david and that is success!
Report n88uk November 10, 2017 2:26 PM GMT
Hard to see how just staying up is a success. West Ham on budget should be top half, and it's early in the season, it's not like they're miles off the pace, I don't see how finishing like 15th is a success, it's just not failure.
Report n88uk November 10, 2017 2:26 PM GMT
On top of that there's not a chance West Ham's squad is in the bottom 3 in the league either.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com