Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
OnePercenter
19 Oct 16 17:09
| Topic/replies: 7,523 | Blogger: OnePercenter's blog
This'll be a tremendous test of Pep's fledgling side and particularly of Stones' defensive nous. Rightly Barca are favourites for this game and my money is going on them to win & Neymar to score.
Pause Switch to Standard View FC Barcelona v Manchester City FC
Show More
Report n88uk October 19, 2016 9:09 PM BST
The weakness to the Pep method is definitely defensively. Just so many mistakes or poor goals conceded. They've struggled to even keep clean sheets in the Premier League, and you can't be making these kind of mistakes vs better opposition you can't rely on putting 4 past. Just look at tonight 2 goals, 2 errors. Another error leading to a red card. Barcelona have basically just fed off their mistakes.
Report 1st time poster October 19, 2016 9:09 PM BST
the ego of klopp,pep bringing these looney foreign keepers over is embarrasing
Report gotia October 19, 2016 9:12 PM BST
is busquets younger brother of Luis Enrique?.... both look similar
Report OnePercenter October 19, 2016 9:14 PM BST
Pep left out City's one truly world class player. A shameful capitulation.
Report gotia October 19, 2016 9:14 PM BST
messiiii 3-0
Report gotia October 19, 2016 9:15 PM BST
3 dumb goals Crazy
Report betting_masta October 19, 2016 9:15 PM BST
this is good preparation for John Stones' long England career
Report OnePercenter October 19, 2016 9:15 PM BST
That's another new areshole for Pep LaughLaughLaugh
Report leroyb October 19, 2016 9:16 PM BST
lol
Report cricketnut2 October 19, 2016 9:16 PM BST

Oct 19, 2016 -- 3:15PM, gotia wrote:

3 dumb goals

1 dumb team

Report n88uk October 19, 2016 9:17 PM BST
Mcmanaman is talking like Barcelona are lucky to be leading, just benefiting from City's mistakes. But isn't this the City way, they can't defend, vs better opposition you get punished. This is no surprise, they've been like this all season. Pep's teams always concede silly goals.
Report 1st time poster October 19, 2016 9:17 PM BST
this dont count players like stokes like to judged on their performances against the likes of voakes,carroll etc not the big boys
Report gotia October 19, 2016 9:19 PM BST
RIP celtic
Report wisewords October 19, 2016 9:19 PM BST
Mathieu sent off
Report 1st time poster October 19, 2016 9:20 PM BST
no wins in 4 for peps unbeatables
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:20 PM BST
10 v 10. Game on.
Report donny osmond October 19, 2016 9:20 PM BST
mcmanaman been talking rubbish all night

just trying to justify his own comments, should
stop digging
Report OnePercenter October 19, 2016 9:21 PM BST
MacManaman is surprised Messing has s hat-trick. He has clearly never seen him play before
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:23 PM BST
Pep is being exposed as a fraud. Steve Staunton, Davey Moyes or Phil Brown could've has similar success with this Barcelona team.
Report n88uk October 19, 2016 9:23 PM BST
Other than beating Man Utd (and Mourinho would surely admit he got this all wrong), have City actually beaten anyone who will finish top half in the Premier League?
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:24 PM BST

Oct 19, 2016 -- 3:23PM, n88uk wrote:

Other than beating Man Utd (and Mourinho would surely admit he got this all wrong), have City actually beaten anyone who will finish top half in the Premier League?

No,  he beat the teams that were 16th-20th in the table. And a poor Man U side.

Report n88uk October 19, 2016 9:26 PM BST
The Pep weakness was always conceding silly goals. It was often said for all his Barcelona and Bayern's possession they were often undone by long punts and silly mistakes. Just Man City don't have the quality to dominate games like those 2 teams did so the flaws are even more there to see now.
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:32 PM BST
Pen
Report wisewords October 19, 2016 9:33 PM BST
BIG WILLY PSYCHED NEYMAR OUT
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:33 PM BST
Missed. Terrible penalty.
Report wisewords October 19, 2016 9:34 PM BST
4-0 Neymar
Report Charlie October 19, 2016 9:35 PM BST
Thank you thought that missed pen had cost me.
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:35 PM BST
Report 1st time poster October 19, 2016 9:35 PM BST
most important player on the pitch the keeper city have 3 and pay someone millions a year to play the worst of the 3 solely because he can pass it 10 yds sidewards to a defender, strange game
Report Hamsterdam October 19, 2016 9:36 PM BST
Macca changing his tune now Laugh

EPL Laugh
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:36 PM BST
Stones is honestly the worst defender I've ever seen at this level.
Report cricketnut2 October 19, 2016 9:36 PM BST
City out of their depth in the Champions League, like all the other EPL sides.
Report OnePercenter October 19, 2016 9:36 PM BST
This'll be a tremendous test of Pep's fledgling side and particularly of Stones' defensive nous. Rightly Barca are favourites for this game and my money is going on them to win & Neymar to score

letter etchingLaugh
Report OnePercenter October 19, 2016 9:37 PM BST
Kerrrrrrrching
Report Hamsterdam October 19, 2016 9:37 PM BST
Hamsterdam    Joined: 03 Nov 11
Replies: 11691 19 Oct 16 19:14 
It's Barca at full strength Any Other Home Win @5.7 is the bet.

wp followers
Report Can't Catch Me October 19, 2016 9:38 PM BST
Senor Bobby giving his pearls of wisdom on City's defending.
Report donny osmond October 19, 2016 9:38 PM BST
macmanaman had a mare
Report betting_masta October 19, 2016 9:39 PM BST
tommo1000 • October 19, 2016 7:26 PM BST
john stones gonna get raped(not literally)tonight,guy is the most overrated defender in the premier league,barca gonna rip him apart like a lion does to a gazelle

sofaking • October 19, 2016 9:36 PM BST
Stones is honestly the worst defender I've ever seen at this level.
Report n88uk October 19, 2016 9:39 PM BST
Where is my John Stones - 50m for a defender that can't defend thread?
Report betting_masta October 19, 2016 9:39 PM BST
Phil Neville "sensed" City could win this when they were 1-0 down at ht Cry
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:41 PM BST
Stones, DeBruyne, Sterling.  155 million quid combined. Laugh
Report betting_masta October 19, 2016 9:41 PM BST
barca barca baaaarca
Report Can't Catch Me October 19, 2016 9:42 PM BST
Nowt wrong with De Brunes sofa.
Report anxious October 19, 2016 9:42 PM BST
Hargreaves talking garbage as usual , him and macmananananan are bobbins
Report Can't Catch Me October 19, 2016 9:42 PM BST
De Bruyne even.
Report 1st time poster October 19, 2016 9:42 PM BST
said it pre season the last manager stone needs is pep,martinez treat him like a ball player he needed a warnock,pullis,fat sam etc to tell him how to defend
Report wallis October 19, 2016 9:44 PM BST
How the fck can that cnting ref not card Kolorov for the challenge and penalty ???

Hope you catch rabies you card-wavering-just-because-they-only-have-ten-and-are-getting-stuffed-cn..t !!
Report 1st time poster October 19, 2016 9:45 PM BST
silva got a red in injury time didnt he
Report wallis October 19, 2016 9:49 PM BST
I hate refs that dont ref to the rules just because of the situation , they should be struck off and banned if they are letting challenges slide just because of either the time of the match or the score.  Sick of seeing it.   Boro Watford another when the ref refused to send off the fullback as it was a SKY tv game and Richard Scudamore insists on keeping 11 v 11
Report n88uk October 19, 2016 9:51 PM BST
Well if they were playing to the rules there should have been about 8 minutes added on. There was 2 minutes added on. Bravo's red card took about 5 minutes alone.
Report sofaking October 19, 2016 9:51 PM BST

Oct 19, 2016 -- 3:42PM, Can't Catch Me wrote:

Nowt wrong with De Brunes sofa.

Was pretty poor tonight but Pep's mostly at fault for that.

Report n88uk October 19, 2016 9:54 PM BST
Hargreaves joining the delusion now.

"Man City actually played well"

Media get lost in the Pep's teams keep the ball, and just lost because of mistakes. His teams make mistakes by design because of the way they play.
Report OnePercenter October 19, 2016 9:58 PM BST
City played a blinder 4-0
Report donny osmond October 19, 2016 10:00 PM BST
city played quite well for a time pressing barca , quite
a bit of it in barca half, but thats got to be risky over
90 minutes

i didnt think city played that well when they ( city) had the ball
Report OnePercenter October 20, 2016 7:18 AM BST
The Ref went very easy on city towards the end. Should have had at least one more red possibly two.

All in all a chastising night for Pep and his Arab boyfriend. Rip it up and start again.
Report sparrow October 20, 2016 8:06 AM BST
n88uk    19 Oct 16 21:54 
Hargreaves joining the delusion now.

"Man City actually played well"

Media get lost in the Pep's teams keep the ball, and just lost because of mistakes. His teams make mistakes by design because of the way they play.

A classic case of defenders and a goalkeeper trying to play it out from the back instead of clearing the ball upfield. Of course many idiots scream "hoof" when they do that now. Unfortunately everyone thinks possession is the proper way to play these days.
Report lurka October 20, 2016 9:57 AM BST
going to the Nou Camp and trying to beat Barca playing possession football, ie at their own game, is a ridiculous, Wenger-like strategy. You only get a result if you play defensive and are very lucky. I doubt Guardiola, like Wenger, has a plan B for matches like this.
Report themover October 20, 2016 11:50 AM BST
Crazy
Report n88uk October 20, 2016 12:23 PM BST
Barcelona aren't even a possession based side under Enrique.
Report n88uk October 20, 2016 12:26 PM BST
But you can't just claim City played well, and were let down by mistakes. The mistakes come by design. They have kept 1 clean sheet in the Premier League, they conceded 3 against Celtic. Giving away goals is a clear problem.
Report OnePercenter October 20, 2016 12:44 PM BST
Bravo is no better than Hart and his ball control comical. Pep says he won't change. Every other manager in the Prem says GREAT Laugh

Stones is liability. He simply does not understand the importance of finding row z when you have to.
Report mafeking October 20, 2016 2:23 PM BST
surely they cannot win the league with that defence. would be a new low for the prem if they do
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2016 2:38 PM BST
ac tualy feel sorry for stones now ,because even if he wanted to find row z he wouldnt be playing,as pep over bravo despite his mistakes he keeps trying to do what i want from him, [ although everyone in football know,s he,s wrong ]
as i said last night stones would be a far better player after 2 seasons with a pulis,warnock,fat sam type than he,ll ever be under pep
Report wisewords October 20, 2016 3:25 PM BST
Stones needs to go to Barcelona. perfect Pique replacement. his style would work fine for them
Report OnePercenter October 20, 2016 3:28 PM BST

Silva & Otamendi race to stop Messi score his first goal
Report n88uk October 20, 2016 4:58 PM BST

Oct 20, 2016 -- 8:23AM, mafeking wrote:

surely they cannot win the league with that defence. would be a new low for the prem if they do

The defence probably isn't as bad as made out, I mean the personnel is average, but they are trying to do a job they aren't really good enough to do. That's what makes them look a complete shambles.

Funny thing is Liverpool get hammered for their defence yet the media seem to sleep on Man City's, and I think Man City's defending is worse than Liverpool's.

Report n88uk October 20, 2016 5:01 PM BST

Oct 20, 2016 -- 9:25AM, wisewords wrote:

Stones needs to go to Barcelona. perfect Pique replacement. his style would work fine for them

Doubt it. English just get excited about Stones because he attempts to pass it out from the back. But he's nowhere near Pique, Pique very rarely makes mistakes. Stones makes mistakes every game, just some go unpunished.

Report mafeking October 20, 2016 5:25 PM BST
did you see roy keane on the highlights show last night basically dismissing arsenal and spurs winning the league having just watched city make mistakes by the bucketload against a barca side barely out of 2nd gear ? city have probably given away more goals from individual mistakes in the last 4 matches than spurs would do in about 4 months
Report n88uk October 20, 2016 5:31 PM BST
No, was listening to radio reaction instead unfortunately.
Report tobermory October 20, 2016 6:08 PM BST
Yeah I saw Keane , very odd , Arsenal and Spurs supposedly no chance of the title but the presenter didn't think to ask him which team is so much better than them.
Report tobermory October 20, 2016 6:17 PM BST
Pique is not a great defender either , but it doesn't matter.

If your game plan is to overwhelm all opposition by creating about 15 clear chances per match then your nominal defenders have to contribute to that and you can't have them punting it into the stands every time an opponent is near.

As defenders Barcelona's centre halves and full backs have never been amongst the Top dozen in Europe during their great era.

But if you have the ball 70% of the time and are blowing teams away at the other end what does it matter.

So City and Liverpool just need to carry on what they're doing but do it better , not implement Pulis type defensive drills.
Report rommel October 20, 2016 6:20 PM BST

Oct 20, 2016 -- 12:17PM, tobermory wrote:

Pique is not a great defender either , but it doesn't matter.If your game plan is to overwhelm all opposition by creating about 15 clear chances per match then your nominal defenders have to contribute to that and you can't have them punting it into the stands every time an opponent is near.As defenders Barcelona's centre halves and full backs have never been amongst the Top dozen in Europe during their great era.But if you have the ball 70% of the time and are blowing teams away at the other end what does it matter.So City and Liverpool just need to carry on what they're doing but do it better , not implement Pulis type defensive drills.

bollox

Report n88uk October 20, 2016 6:40 PM BST
Pique is the figure head for the type of defender Stones is meant to be though. And there's no real doubt he's been a great defender really, it's a myth that he can't defend. I don't know how you wouldn't have him in the top dozen in Europe.

The problem with that game plan is it goes out the window unless you just totally dominate games. Vs say Pep's Barcelona, even good teams might only get 1-2 chances all night. Vs this City even more modest sides will get many more chances than that. There's one thing playing out from the back, but you can't have it giving away the number of goals Man City are, not vs better opposition.
Report mafeking October 20, 2016 6:43 PM BST
yep tobermory he just sat there and slaughtered a city side who he presumably thinks will canter to the title. seemed in a particularly grumpy mood last night even for him

maybe he still thinks it's 1999 when fergie supposedly went into the dressing room before the last game against spurs and gave the famous team talk it's only tottenham lads. times can change
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2016 6:46 PM BST
not much,chelski,newcastle give the same speech 6 months ago, Laugh
Report mafeking October 20, 2016 6:55 PM BST
spurs have conceded more than 2 goals once in around 50 league games. yep plenty of evidence they're still a soft touch Crazy

keane's certainly not alone in trotting out ignorant nonsense. most pundits are the same
Report anxious October 20, 2016 7:00 PM BST
Tottenham need to score more goals if they don't achieve this they will miss out on trophies , its up to Levy to buy at least 2 or 3 top players , a top goalscorer and another good defender
Report Senyatta October 21, 2016 12:03 AM BST
thought city didn't play too bad not counting the pen and 4 goals. with aguero up top they'd have bagged 3 or 4 themselves.
Report Capt__F October 21, 2016 12:13 AM BST
where's Bony when you need him
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 8:19 AM BST
with aguero up top they'd have bagged 3 or 4 themselves.

But Pep thought they could stifle Barca in midfield so he left his one world class player on the bench. How deluded is he Laugh A chastening night for the blue half of Westhoughton & Chorley.
Report mega88 October 21, 2016 8:39 AM BST
Schooled over 90 mins and I dont think even think barca left second gear. Pleasure to watch city get torn apart
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 9:00 AM BST
The Pep delusion utterly destroyed.

City thought they were getting a genius who would wave his magic wand and suddenly they'd be the New Barca. Instead they have hired a man so far up himself he thought that he created the Barca Magic all by himself. A man too stupid to realise it was the genius of Messi all along. A man too stupid to even tell his goalkeeper to clear his lines.
Report rommel October 21, 2016 9:14 AM BST
was listening to r5 the other night b4 the game and the gushing over pep was way ott,but he's generally acknowledged worldwide as a great manager,on another night city might have held them but theres only one chance at a game and they got duly trounced,who are we to say the aguerro decision was wrong,thought up till the goal city were doing q well...
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 9:28 AM BST
rommel it's almost as if you and the English media have never watched Barca. That is what they do. They look fairly harmless for long periods then all of a sudden Messi appears in the box with the ball at his feet and no one with 5 yards. Then he has the ball outside the box and he casually whips it in. Then he's free in the box again.

It only takes 3 moments of magic. I bet the total time is no more than 20 seconds. City looked okay until Messi struck but they were soundly thrashed. Grown men crying in every pub in Stalybridge.
Report rommel October 21, 2016 9:38 AM BST
1p-thanks for that football lesson,i'd never really noticed this fella messi till the other night
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 10:02 AM BST
You are not alone. Pep spent years at Barca and thought all the silverware was down to his own genius.
Report n88uk October 21, 2016 10:35 AM BST
Pep took 139 games to win 100 games with Barcelona. Enrique did it in 125 games. Yet Enrique is widely perceived as someone lucky, and just has amazing players to win things for him.
Report themover October 21, 2016 3:18 PM BST

Oct 21, 2016 -- 3:38AM, rommel wrote:

1p-thanks for that football lesson,i'd never really noticed this fella messi till the other night

Laugh

Report themover October 21, 2016 3:24 PM BST
1p suggested the Simeone had found the way to beat Barcelona the other day. Having unblocked him recently I realise it's like reading a newspaper saying that a bus has been found on the moon Laugh
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 3:24 PM BST
Have a laugh at this one too

You are not alone. Pep spent years at Barca and thought all the silverware was down to his own genius.
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 3:26 PM BST
Simeone'CL record against Barca P4 W2 D1 L1 GF5 GA3
Report themover October 21, 2016 3:31 PM BST
Next you'll be telling me Sir Purlpe nose's success was down to him Laugh
Report themover October 21, 2016 3:34 PM BST
at least Guardiola has taken on a challenge, SAF sat at United for 25 years bathing in the glory of winning the league at the richest club in the world.
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 3:36 PM BST
Ten games in and the Pep delusion is over. The genius went to Barca with a team set up to stifle them and ended up getting hammered 4-0 by a Barca side that never even got out of seeing gear.

Looking forward to the return game in 10 days. Can't T wait to see Pep's next tactical masterpiece Laugh
Report themover October 21, 2016 3:37 PM BST
When do United next play Barca, or any other big club in Europe?
Report anxious October 21, 2016 4:31 PM BST
Manchester United 3 oil rig 0
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 4:40 PM BST
I expect United to be back in the CL by 2018/19. No point in being there next season as we won't be ready to compete. We'd just be also rans like City.

Let's get the thread back on track;

In 2013/14 Simeone's AM knocked out Barca in the quarter finals. The defending champions Bayern Munich led by young genius Pep Guardiola were spanked 5-0 on aggregate by RM. A humiliating 0-4 at home.

Incidentally Manuel Pellegrini's City were knocked out by Barca but on by the aggregate score of 4-1

In 2014/15 Barca knocked out Pep's Bayern Munich. Again Barca also knocked out Pellegrini's City in the round of 16 but only by an aggregate score of 3-1. Well done Manuel.

In 2015/16 Simeone's AM knocked Barca out in the quarter finals. They then knocked Pep's Bayern Munich out in the semi finals. City were also knocked out in the semis by RM but only by an aggregate of 1-2

So we can see that despite the bollox spouted by themover Simeone has a great record against Barca in the Champions League. We can also see that separated from Messi Pep has a fairly mediocre record in the Champions League.

We can also see that Manuel Pellegrini was making very good progress before the ex-Barca hierarchy at City decided what they really needed was some of Pep's Magic Laugh
Report themover October 21, 2016 5:44 PM BST
"since Luis Enrique took charge, the Catalans have gone on a perfect run against their tricky counterparts, with six wins from their last six encounters.

Barça 3-1 Atlético: Iconic match

Barça gained revenge for losing out on the title with goals from each one of the front three. Neymar Jr, Suárez and Messi left an iconic image after the third goal as they wheeled away together in celebration.

Barça 1-0 Atlético: Late drama

Ten days later, the two sides met again, this time in the Copa del Rey. In a tightly contested affair, Barca eventually got the breakthrough with five minutes remaining. Messi’s penalty was saved but the Argentine was there on the rebound to give his side a narrow first-leg win.

Atlético 2-3 Barça: Progression to cup semis 

Fernando Torres’ early opener was soon cancelled out by Neymar. Atlético took the lead from the spot but an own goal from Miranda and another from Neymar saw Barca progress comfortably to the semi-finals.

Atlético 0-1 Barça: Messi hands first title of treble

Barça travelled to the Vicente Calderon knowing that a win would wrap up the league title. It was an extremely close game but up stepped Messi in the 65th minute to score the goal that would seal the first of three trophies that season.

Atlético 1-2 Barça: Messi the hero from the bench

Unable to train in the week, Messi began amongst the substitutes in this league encounter. Torres gave Atletico the lead before Neymar’s free-kick brought the sides level. On 59 minutes, Messi came off the bench to score the decisive goal.

Barça 2-1 Atlético: Another comeback

It was a meeting between the two sides joint-top of La Liga. Koke handed Atletico an early lead but a magical team goal finished by Messi soon brought Barça level. Suárez showed his true striking instincts as he rolled Godin before slotting through Oblak’s legs to give the goal that would separate the two teams and give Barça a three-point lead at the top with a game in hand."
Report OnePercenter October 21, 2016 6:07 PM BST
You do like to change the subject and compare apples with oranges don't youLaugh

Pep was hired to bring City the Champions League.

The facts speak for themselves, in the Champion's League Simeone well and truly has Barca's number.

At Munich Pep took over the reigning European champions. Remember they Beat his barca 7-0 in the semis on the way to lifting the trophy. Leading Bayern in the next 3 seasons he couldn't even take them to a final.

Face the facts - separated from Lionel Messi his record in the Champions League is poor and a level below that of Simeone's.
Report wood October 21, 2016 9:06 PM BST
I had a bet with £3.65 on this match.After watching the kick off logged on and placed another bet to the same stake.This bet lost but i received no refund.I emailed and was told only bets after 19.48.02 would be refunded.I telephoned them this morning and was given the refund straight away.The kick offs in Champions League are always timed to be exactly 7.45 anyone else had this problem ?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com