Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
betting_masta
05 Jun 16 02:25
| Topic/replies: 14,034 | Blogger: betting_masta's blog
I've been doing some number crunching and it's quite obvious really where England lacks, it's in game experience.

Of the top 10 favourites for Euro 2016, England has the weakest squad in terms of appearances at international level.

Total caps in Euro 2016 squad
1. Spain - 987
2. Germany - 956
3. Czech Republic - 839
4. Sweden - 819
5. Croatia - 767
6. Russia - 751
7. Italy - 728
8. Belgium - 726
9. France - 628
10. England - 534

This will count.
You can't pick 18 year old's and you can't build a team in three weeks.
That's all folks.
Pause Switch to Standard View Here is one massive reason why...
Show More
Report betting_masta June 5, 2016 2:31 AM BST
There's something about consistently picking players that bears fruit in this sport.

That's why Germany and Spain will battle it out for Euro 2016 glory.
Report dukeofpuke June 5, 2016 3:19 AM BST
ok thats a good stat

can you do the previous euro

and then the world cups

then copa america

africa nations

then champions league

premier league and the other euro leagues

PELE WAS 18 WHEN BRAZIL WON IN SWEDEN 1958
Report morpteh mackem June 5, 2016 9:10 AM BST
pele was good though
Report rogerthebutler June 5, 2016 9:23 AM BST
They won't win until the manager - whichever fknuckle it is - gets rid of the idea that one player is indispensable and has to be shoehorned into the side irrespective of form, fitness or ability (reference Bryan Robson, David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney ad nauseam)
Report cardifffc June 5, 2016 9:34 AM BST
not being good enough is one  massive reason
Report mega88 June 5, 2016 9:45 AM BST
Agree with Roger,  doesn't really matter how many caps, look at Leicester this season.  With the right ingredients you bake cakes, that starts with the chef and Roy aint no chef
Could England win this ? Yea why not I feel they lack defensively but going forward they are top dogs, I also feel the manager hasn't a clue.
Report johnizere June 5, 2016 9:54 AM BST
cardifffc beat me to it.
Report stridingedge June 5, 2016 9:59 AM BST
Trouble is Roy seems to think vardy will be the same player for england in tournament football with tight defences and no acres of grass to run into, I'm hoping that last friendly may have shaken this belief a bit.

The defending form the most basic of levels is atrocious.Being a liverpool fan in recent times I know what it's like to think you may concede from any ball chucked into your area abd i get the same vibe now with England. Any half decent finishing in those friendlies could have seen us going into this with completely different results, we are conceding far too many basic chances and in tournaments you will get punished for this.

Experience is all well and good but no match for ability, obviously both is ideal but we are miles away from that scenario.I'd rather play Rashford than vardy though, he just looks a better fit for tournament football, he can hold it up and is dangerous arriving into the box in the areas you want him in tight situations.

Roy just sits there like a frightened confused old owl and I am never confident he will react quick enough when things are obviously not working.

So all we need is the defence to suddenly transform itself into a solid reliable confident unit, all the offensive players to play out of their skins at the same time and Roy to produce the right tactics and react better when things don't look right, piece of p1ss surely Laugh
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 5, 2016 10:14 AM BST
OP is a load of cobblers imo.  England and France have the best young players in Europe which is why they have the fewest caps.  Rooney is arguably a negative and he has by far the most caps.

Biggest negative for me is England's record in penalty shoot outs and the psychological effect that will have on the England players.  Since tournaments have been expanded over 50% of winners of major tournaments have had to win a penalty shoot out on the way to lifting the trophy.
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 5, 2016 10:57 AM BST
On the 8 occasions England have made the knockout stages of a major tournament since 1990, they've only been beaten in 120 minutes twice.  The other 6 defeats were on penaltiesCry
Report rommel June 5, 2016 11:38 AM BST
Roy Hodgson says Wayne Rooney will be mandatory starter at Euro 2016.....why is hodgson backing himself into a corner by pledging this????keep an open mind roy ffs
Report Ibrahima Sonko June 5, 2016 11:41 AM BST
I read somewhere that 17 of 23 spain squad have won the champions league, world cup or the euros.

like to know englands count in comparison ?
Report JC1326 June 5, 2016 11:42 AM BST
and there's Sonko, chipping in with his daily bile about England
Report JC1326 June 5, 2016 11:43 AM BST

Jun 5, 2016 -- 11:38AM, rommel wrote:

Roy Hodgson says Wayne Rooney will be mandatory starter at Euro 2016.....why is hodgson backing himself into a corner by pledging this????keep an open mind roy ffs

if they play the same as against Portugal, we'll lose against Russia, and surely Hodgson would have to remove Rooney from the side

Report azot June 5, 2016 11:51 AM BST

Jun 5, 2016 -- 11:41AM, Ibrahima Sonko wrote:

I read somewhere that 17 of 23 spain squad have won the champions league, world cup or the euros.like to know englands count in comparison ?

Laugh

Report throwthetellyoutawindow June 5, 2016 12:40 PM BST

Jun 5, 2016 -- 11:38AM, rommel wrote:

Cos Rooney is captain and most experienced and best player in the squad,it's not rocket science Laugh

Report HansUlrichApfelStrudel June 5, 2016 1:22 PM BST
CLYDEBANK29 05 Jun 16 10:57 Joined: 10 Jan 02 | Topic/replies: 6,269 | Blogger: CLYDEBANK29's blog
On the 8 occasions England have made the knockout stages of a major tournament since 1990, they've only been beaten in 120 minutes twice.  The other 6 defeats were on penaltiesCry

And in those 8 occasions in the knock out stages how many matches have England WON in 90 or 120 minutes? About 2 too I expect..... and not nearly won 6 on penalties Crazy
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 5, 2016 2:16 PM BST
They've won 4 lost 2 and had 7 penalty shootouts, winning once.  If England had won 6 and lost once, instead of lost once and won 6, England's record in tournaments would be very good.

It's not because they've been sh1t, it's because they couldn't take penalties.
Report TheChaser June 5, 2016 2:34 PM BST
Report kincsem June 5, 2016 3:56 PM BST
CLYDEBANK29
On the 8 occasions England have made the knockout stages of a major tournament since 1990, they've only been beaten in 120 minutes twice.

This is how it goes in major competitions
England are top seed in a Group.  All they need to do is beat the 4th seed and 3rd seed and they are in the knockout stages.  Win, draw, lose to the 2nd seed will probably see them through.
England have now "made the knockout stages".
Then they probably meet a 2nd placed team from another group and lose.

This time it is Russia, Slovakia, Wales.  Will it be a major achievement to "make the knockout stages".?

It is baby steps to "make the knockout stages"
Beating a 2nd placed team from another group should be possible.
But beating one of eight group winners in the quarter-finals is the first real test.

England at best can make the last eight in a World Cup.
To get into the semi-finals England probably had to beat one of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy.

World Cup
1986: England beat Paraguay in last 16, lose to Argentina in quarter-finals.
1990: England beat Belgium in extra time in the last 16, beat Cameroon in the quarters, lost to Germany in the semis
1994: did not quality
1998: England lose to Argentina in the last 16.
2002: England beat Denmaerk in last 16, lose to Brazil in the quarters
2006: England beat Ecuador in last 15, lose to Portugal in the quarters
2010: England lose to Germany in the last 16
2014: England didn't get out of their group, losing to Italy and Uruguay
Report TheChaser June 5, 2016 4:03 PM BST
England at best can make the last eight in a World Cup.
To get into the semi-finals England probably had to beat one of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy.Spain
Report TheChaser June 5, 2016 4:03 PM BST
Ah your going by teams they already failed to since 90 sorry bruv
Report kincsem June 5, 2016 4:10 PM BST
CLYDEBANK
They've won 4 lost 2 and had 7 penalty shootouts, winning once.  If England had won 6 and lost once, instead of lost once and won 6, England's record in tournaments would be very good.
It's not because they've been sh1t, it's because they couldn't take penalties.

Yeah, if they hadn't lost they would have won.

I'm reading Packie Bonner's biography at the moment.
Does anyone remember Ireland beating Romania on penalties in the last 16 game in Italia 90?  David O'Leary scored the winning penalty in the shoot-out.

"Niall Quinn had been running a book for three weeks at the training camp.  The big fella would stick on my gloves, go into goal and challenge the rest of the squad to put penalties past his six-foot, five-inch frame.
If you scored all three, he owed you a fiver but if he saved just one you had to cough up your own fiver.  David O'Leary was Niall's room-mate and they'd been at it for weeks.
The Arsenal centre-half with fifty-two caps to his name had been banging the penalties in since we'd arrived in Italy."
Report TheChaser June 5, 2016 4:16 PM BST
I remember it but not live seen it on many occasion though , going to have to read his book.

Good way to practice pens though do something different mix it up , what are England doing taking pot shots in Joe Hartand if they miss they all go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Report Panther65 June 5, 2016 4:46 PM BST
England wont win it as they cant keep clean sheets
Report betting_masta June 5, 2016 7:56 PM BST

Jun 5, 2016 -- 11:41AM, Ibrahima Sonko wrote:

I read somewhere that 17 of 23 spain squad have won the champions league, world cup or the euros.like to know englands count in comparison ?

I think it's just Rooney, and he was carried in that front line by Tevez and Ronaldo

Report betting_masta June 5, 2016 7:57 PM BST
Joe Hart to cry at some point during the Euros. 1/2 with Paddy Power. Put your mortgage on that
Report The Dragon June 5, 2016 8:00 PM BST
2 main reasons in my book , defense is simply not good enough and the manager is tactically inept += no chanceCry
Report TheChaser June 5, 2016 8:01 PM BST
Cahill won it also
Report TheChaser June 5, 2016 8:11 PM BST
or hes not there?
Report thelatarps June 5, 2016 8:21 PM BST
The euros are going to be sh1te aren't they?
2 blinking weeks of tedious group games in which 8 teams of the 24 get eliminated
sheesh
What we have here in most cases is 24 sets of 25 highly paid professionals essentially brassed off at having their summer hols ruined
The French will be up for it, ze chermans are a winning machine, maybe the spanish
But judging from all these tedious friendlies i have been sitting through most of the squads are not going to be giving a flying one.
If the FA had anything about them they ought to dominating these things, like their biological cousins in ze vaterland.
50 years of failure
its not woy, its not the players
goes right to the top.
you are fecked.
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 5, 2016 9:08 PM BST
Rooney, Cahill, Bertrand and Sturridge  have all won the CL
Report scandanavian_haven June 5, 2016 9:21 PM BST
Sturridge and Bertrand were really just peripheral figures when Chelsea won the Champions league.

Hodgson get's a lot of criticism but tbf he's been brave by picking a young squad and trying to shoehorn in three strikers, even if Rooney will play deeper, a striker by trade.
Report tobermory June 5, 2016 10:12 PM BST
Bertrand played every minute of the final didn't he Confused

Don't recall Sturridge being involved at all
Report TheChaser June 6, 2016 12:15 AM BST
i admit i am surprised as a scot woy will play vardy and kane i never thought he would play both

so if he gives it a go fair enough , but if he doesnt get the players to feed them no point in having them both standing about like tree stumps
Report akabula June 6, 2016 12:44 AM BST
The OP spot on. You can't win nowt with kids. sure I've heard that said. Wink
Report OnePercenter June 6, 2016 9:01 AM BST
Roy just has to pick 11 Rooneys and we'll walk this tourney.
Report betting_masta June 29, 2016 6:54 AM BST
"  you can't build a team in three weeks.
That's all folks.  "

I want some credit for this colossal insight.
Report kincsem June 29, 2016 12:11 PM BST
Respect.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com