Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
dr . atkins
25 Aug 15 16:28
| Topic/replies: 35,769 | Blogger: dr . atkins's blog
just about the money now 36 million
Pause Switch to Standard View JOHN STONES GOING TO CHELSEA
Show More
Report themover August 25, 2015 6:51 PM BST
Chelsea do need him though after the way City ripped their defence a new one Laugh
Report themover August 25, 2015 6:56 PM BST
maybe United might feel like hijacking the deal #revengeforpedro Mischief
Report miss.wales August 26, 2015 1:01 PM BST
Potentially Stones is a great player but he's not there yet. He's been put on his ar$e a couple of times already this season and his heading of the ball and positional play still needs some work but he's absolute class when carrying the ball out of defence - as good as I have seen for 20 years.

One of the big problems he will have at Chelsea is that he's probably too nice a guy to abuse the referee and opposition players as is the norm in their case. I don't know if he can be taught that "skill" and unless he signs up to it he will never be a long term answer for Mourinho.
Report themover August 26, 2015 3:09 PM BST
English, 50 Premier League matches, £40 mill Laugh
Report ffaith August 26, 2015 3:57 PM BST
Alt. Bilbao only sign and recruit players from the greater Basque country.  That is a catchment area of about 3m people.  Yet they are comfortably surviving at the top level.  Hell they even knocked Man U out of Europe a few seasons ago.

The richer EPL clubs,esp. the nouveau riche ones, have to overpay for 'beards' like Stones, Sterling, Shaw etc to cover 'bald spots' ie the lack of top domestic talents coming thru their ranks.
Report duffy August 26, 2015 4:04 PM BST
Hell they even knocked Man U out of Europe a few seasons ago.

Only Bracelona in recent years have treated united the way Bilbao did in both home and away matches.
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 4:42 PM BST
don't make me laugh miss wales everytime a home player goes down in box your fans scream for a pen and everytime someone is brought down you scream for a red card you are well known for it a bit rich coming from everton fans
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 4:44 PM BST
its life if a club that as plenty of money and are in the top 4 year after year come knocking on a door of a club that are not they are going to find it very hard to keep a player ie john stones
Report The Dragon August 26, 2015 4:45 PM BST
money talks
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 4:54 PM BST
the person who should really be p1ssed of with this deal is tomas kalas who played really well for the under 21 and played at liverpool when stevie slip over hes been sent to middlesboro i feel sorry for him whos done nothing wrong
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 4:55 PM BST
hes done nothing wrong
Report The Dragon August 26, 2015 5:00 PM BST
what will Everton spend the dosh on?
Report themover August 26, 2015 5:01 PM BST
doesn't really matter what Everton spend the dosh on because if they are any good they will sell them on Laugh
Report themover August 26, 2015 5:02 PM BST
think this will be the end of Martinez as well
Report The Dragon August 26, 2015 5:15 PM BST
martinez there for the long haul and they have adecent squad. need to strengthen up front and are after YArmolenko
Report The Dragon August 26, 2015 5:17 PM BST
should go for Austin in my book
Report miss.wales August 26, 2015 5:18 PM BST
dr . atkins

don't make me laugh miss wales everytime a home player goes down in box your fans scream for a pen and everytime someone is brought down you scream for a red card you are well known for it a bit rich coming from everton fans

I do try and make you laugh some times but this is 100% genuine. For players like Terry, Ivanovic, Fabregas, Cahill, Costa and Matic, it's an art form and the manager is the Grand Maestro. Intimidating referees at Stamford Bridge has gone on throughout both of Mourinho's spells and you have got away with it consistently during that time.

Plus it's a bit rich for you to compare our crowd shouting for a penalty with your players surrounding the referee every time a decision goes against them. Nothing riles opposing fans more than that sort of behaviour and Mourinho's attitude of "Nobody loves us, we don't care" does you all no favours IMO.
Report guinness2dear August 26, 2015 5:21 PM BST
Ironic that i have been pleading for us to be more agressive and we might get the odd decision go are way...

We are embryos in the moaning stakes compared to CFC...
Report TheGoldenVision August 26, 2015 5:24 PM BST
I dont blame Stones for wanting to leave, after all he soon left Barnsley when Everton came calling. It was OK for us then, so we need to face facts of modern football life. There isn't a man alive who wouldn't change employers for a huge pay rise... if anyone says different then they're kidding themselves. I suppose we'll sell eventually but just like Stones, we need to get the best deal for the club and no matter what the press say, it's not a done deal yet. If Everton choose to, for whatever reason, sheer bloody mindedness, spite, the thought of a better deal down the road... they don't have to sell! He's one year into a 5 year contract and if Everton choose to, they don't have to sell. What's he gonna do? Everton hold all the cards... just don't balls it up!
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 5:39 PM BST
everton fans are number 1 for screaming at the refs does it get on my wick yes is it wrong no plus you have been eyeing up a center half all over the world for the last 4 weeks so the board knew what was coming so please everton fans don't you get out of your prams screaming about it maybe you will get a arab or russian fly over your ground one day and he will spend billions until then live with it because it wont be the last time it will happen
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 5:40 PM BST
oh about jose you would love him to be your manager you are fools if you did not so no more about jose hey
Report ccjefc August 26, 2015 5:42 PM BST
Dr. atkins, we let both Alcaraz and Distin go in the summer which left only Jagielka and Stones. That is why we have been looking at centre-backs.

If/when Stones goes, Jags is the only centre-half at the club who doesn't have a thirty something or forty something on his back.
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 5:45 PM BST
can see why you let them go but aint you just got one in and is it paper talk you want the player from spurs for your sake you better hope it is
Report ccjefc August 26, 2015 5:53 PM BST
We have got a lad from River Plate over at the moment and are waiting for a work permit (is it ever any other way?!). If you believe the Argentian-based press, he is the fourth best centre-back at that club!

He has been brought-in to nurture behind the scenes so there would then have to be a least another one purchased who was ready to go straight in.

The way things are going, he will immediately be the second best centre-half at Everton by default!

The problem is that these players don't grow on trees and, as Spurs will tell you, if a club knows you are desperate and have money to spend, the price immeditaley inflates.

There is also the small matter of the money we will owe Barnsley and the remainder of the money we owe off Lukaku, however much that may be.

I am almost resigned to being told that we spent the Stones money on Lukaku!
Report wondersobright August 26, 2015 6:15 PM BST
excellent buy imo and potentially will be the best centre half in england in the next few years

everton were clueless at defending last season when he was out injured and they looked a totally different team when he came back, class act imo
Report mightymoyes August 26, 2015 6:42 PM BST
Dr.Atkins kalas made the mistake of joining Chelsea's youth set up so he only has himself to blame. Hopefully other young players will take note and not waste their time joining a ridiculous youth set up.
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 6:46 PM BST
agree about the youth set up at chelsea don't forget where you got stones from he came thru the barnsley youth set up
Report ccjefc August 26, 2015 6:48 PM BST
And he looks like he's starting againsy his old club from what I can gather.
Report themover August 26, 2015 6:55 PM BST
could be his last game of the season Laugh
Report mightymoyes August 26, 2015 6:57 PM BST
Yeh he came through at Barnsley and played a few months with our u21s then into first team. Not sure where kalas came from but he's been at Chelsea a while and will never get a chance of regular first team football
Report dr . atkins August 26, 2015 8:13 PM BST
20 million now
Report morpteh mackem August 26, 2015 8:22 PM BST
better off signing wes brown
Report homefortea August 26, 2015 8:29 PM BST
Might as well be Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones...Laugh
Report charwell. August 26, 2015 9:24 PM BST
Has talent but worrying tendency to make errors and his reading of the game is poor. Reading a game is instinctive and can't be taught. EFC should (and they will!) grab the money and run.

The CB Everton have bought (an obvious replacement) was not given a glowing reference by the Talksport SA correspondent.
Report guinness2dear August 26, 2015 10:27 PM BST
Price gone up to 50 mill..

And ye can still go and swivel..
Report ccjefc August 26, 2015 10:33 PM BST
Charwell, who is this centre-half we have bought as an "obvious replacement" please?
Report MullahOmar August 26, 2015 11:55 PM BST
I agree Charwell I just don't see any top-class components to his defensive game. He has an exellent first touch, comfort on the ball and short range passing ability but they are qualities you are most looking for in a defensive midfield player. Its a bit like like saying `our centre forward is the best in the world at 20 yard free kicks'.

Is he lightning quick - no, ok well can he get away with it with elite level reading of the game errr no way at the moment. How many goals did everton concede last year because of his errors, errr lots. Is he commanding in the air - nowhere near. Is he physically strong for his size - not really.
Report themover August 27, 2015 12:11 AM BST
transfer request rejected, apparently
Report Si-K August 27, 2015 12:44 AM BST
To the tune of money cant buy you love

"We don't care too much for money, cause money can't buy you Stones.... can't buy you stooo-oones, can't buy you stooo-oones"

LaughLaugh cinabot Moanriniho you bus banker
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 9:14 AM BST
You have to laugh at Everton.

What they've managed to forget in their determination to stand up to the "big boys" is that they're being offered a ridiculous amount of money for a player who isn't remotely worth it, at least at this stage of his career.

No wonder they've gone from a big club to an also ran with business acumen like that.
Report lurka August 27, 2015 10:22 AM BST
they should sell for that type of money but Martinez hasn't a great record of signing defenders, so bit of a double-edged sword and a lot of Everton fans don't expect them to spend most of any money they get
Report guinness2dear August 27, 2015 11:56 AM BST
they should sell for that type of money but Martinez hasn't a great record of signing defenders, so bit of a double-edged sword and a lot of Everton fans don't expect them to spend any money they get

Sorry to correct ye lurka. But the above is far more correct..
Report lurka August 27, 2015 1:04 PM BST
i stand corrected
Report MullahOmar August 27, 2015 6:01 PM BST
In recent years Everton have sold Fellaini £27.5m!!!!!!!!!, Lescott £24m!!!!, Rodwell £12m!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
Jelevic £6.5m!!!!! Anichebe £5m!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a bad selling record. In fact trading standards should have them in court for daylight
robbery.
Report MullahOmar August 27, 2015 6:02 PM BST
If they get £30 mill for an error prone young kid who is a million miles from champions league class at present I will sent Poirot to Goodison.
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 6:08 PM BST
Kenwright's issued a statement saying his transfer request has been rejected.

Feel a bit sorry for Stones himself and hope he plays well enough to get a similar opportunity in future but from a Chelsea point of view it had pushed up to silly money for him.
Report guinness2dear August 27, 2015 6:23 PM BST
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 6:29 PM BST
Could make the difference between Everton finishing 10th or 11th if he's staying.
Report "Were going to City twice" August 27, 2015 8:09 PM BST
If Chelsea really wanted him then should have made a proper bid 6 weeks ago when this saga started.

4 days before the window closes they make a proper off, 4 days in which Everton have to buy two players to replace him - no chance.

Great to see Everton stick to fingers up to the rich boys - I have never considered Chelsea a big club. Lets face it, nobody knew they existed until 15 years ago.
Report "Were going to City twice" August 27, 2015 8:09 PM BST
*two
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 9:11 PM BST
26 million was a proper bid for someone who's played 50 PL games. Everton have just turned down 38 million which was madness that we were ready to pay that and therfore just becomes stupid Everton turned it down.

It's a shame Stones absolutely stiffed himself by signing that 5 year contract last year and now he's found himself the sufferer in a saga where Kenwright's trying to placate the fans. Those demonstrations hadn't have happened and he'd have been having a medical by now.

I did consider Everton to be a big club until we had to save you from relegation 3 days before we played a European final. There's gratitude for you hey.

Let's just hope you're not needing any loan players in the near future Wink
Report "Were going to City twice" August 27, 2015 9:43 PM BST
Everton will always remain a big club in many ways, we are just not a rich club which in this day an age is what its all about. I wouldn't trade our 9 league titles for anything Silly

If Jose believes Stones is worth 38m, then an offer of 26m is not a proper bid.

I don't believe Everton would sell at 50m (I think 35m is great price by the way) mainly because its too late to find replacements.

On one hand, I would like to have sold him for 35m and buy a solid replacement and a goalscorer but on the other hand, its rather nice to see a club with limited funds standing up the mega rich clubs, it makes a refreshing change.

I'm sure if Stones continues to impress and improve, then the starting bids next season, with City and United interested will be 45m plus.
Report dr . atkins August 27, 2015 10:02 PM BST
what ive seen would not pay 20 million for him would rather pay the money for varane from madrid
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 10:12 PM BST
If I was an Everton fan I'd think the same but as I said earlier in the thread the urge to stand up against a mega rich club has actually blinded Everton to the fact that this was a ridiculously high sum of money being offered. He could have a great season but realistically how far would that take Everton? The only things that would make a huge financial difference were if his performances helped you into the CL or alternatively helped you to avoid relegation, both of which are unlikely. Anything else and you're gambling on him not having a poor season and wiping 10 million off his price. The potential reward just isn't worth the gamble in my view. An under pressure Kenwright obviously thought different but I'm not convinced this is the best result for Everton.

You just seem to be so badly run it's untrue. I read somewhere today that Norwich earn more commercially than you do and I can't say I'm surprised. Our interest has been well known for weeks now so there's been plenty of time to line up replacements whilst having a figure in mind that would do the deal. There's been a situation here that Everton could have worked to their advantage and really improved the squad. When 26 million was rejected I was all for us walking away . When we didn't it must have been clear to Everton that 35 million was likely to be on the table at some point.

Anyway I haven't forgiven you lot for getting Nevin at a steal of a price so I have no sympathy with you lot having become the hunted these days Laugh
Report scandanavian_haven August 27, 2015 10:23 PM BST
His career would have gone backwards at Chelsea and his progress stunted by not playing week in and out

Same as De Bruyne and Schurrle and Lukaku and Torres.

Mourinho said those first three were good enough for Chelsea but didn't want to fight for their place which translates as I wanted bench warmers who kept quiet but they realised they were too good for that and moved on quickly.
Report lurka August 27, 2015 10:25 PM BST
if stones is 40m, varane is 100m+. Varane would do well at CM, FB or even a winger imo. Beast of an athlete. Real won't sell him imo and i think jose knows that. he signed him for real (for only 10m euros!)
Kenwright likes to sell and hang onto the money. That's the most surprising thing. still may go i suppose
Report chathamjack August 27, 2015 10:31 PM BST
I don't blame Everton for holding out for a higher price,

Bill Kenwright's been on to Elton John's agent, and it's going to cost him a fortune to bring him to the West end Laugh
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 10:33 PM BST
What it translates to is exactly what was said. De Bruyne and Lukaku weren't prepared to wait their chance and fight to become first choice. Lukaku felt he should have been first choice when he was clearly not good enough for that. Schurrle wanted to stay but Jose was never that fussed on him.

Stones would have played quite a few games for us precisely for the reason you couldn't grasp as to why JT was substituted the other week. We are looking to defend higher up the pitch at times which is where he comes in. He'd have improved a hell of a lot more playing CL and in a team where the pressure is on to get a result in just about every game.
Report themover August 27, 2015 10:38 PM BST
hard to criticise players for wanting to play football. Shame Mourinho felt it necessary to slag De Bruyne off in the press though.
Report ffaith August 27, 2015 10:38 PM BST
At various times this close season the sharks have circled around Stones, Coleman, Lukaku and McCarthy.  So far Everton have resisted all overtures.  Quietly impressed with their resolve.
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 10:42 PM BST
hard to criticise players for wanting to play football. Shame Mourinho felt it necessary to slag De Bruyne off in the press though.

City are about to pay over 50 million for him. Give it a couple of months and you'll be slagging him off in the press as well Laugh
Report themover August 27, 2015 10:43 PM BST
Pellegrini isn't that type of manager
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 10:44 PM BST
Not on about him, I'm talking about you personally!
Report scandanavian_haven August 27, 2015 10:45 PM BST
Sorry marcee but you are painfully naive if you think Terry being subbed was tactical.
Chelsea have a habit of holding back player's careers and Stones would have been another.
Report themover August 27, 2015 10:48 PM BST
"I want to have my fastest player on the pitch and not on the bench. I know they are going to play counter attack and long balls to Aguero. I want to have him on the pitch."

counter-attack and long balls? Did he know he was playing City? Laugh
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 10:53 PM BST
Nope SH you're painfully naive if you believe that everything that Mourinho does is a coded message of some sort. Guess he ordered him to get sent off last week as well to send a further message.
Report "Were going to City twice" August 27, 2015 10:54 PM BST
Don't forget Baines as well ffaith.

Marcee you talk a lot of sense and it terms of running our club I couldn't agree more - we can't trade off the name Liverpool for obvious reasons. Both Manchester teams can and the lure of London is this for all investors, we are stuck in a rot with an old stadium thats loved by a lot of fans as a good old traditional stadium but the place is 20 years passed its sell by date.

Any investor coming in would have to spend 250m for a new stadium and unless your a Skeikh or Russian (or get it for free like City and West Ham) you have to fund the thing yourselves.

There are many more informed blues on here than me who can explain our commercial side and lack of funds, in a mega rich game we are falling further behind.

Is it a gamble to keep him, I suppose it is but it also sends a message to the fans that whilst swimming against the current we are trying to build a decent team based around youth, Coleman, Stones, McCarthy, Delefeou, Lukaku etc to sell sends the wrong message.

Having said that, I've not seen a more accomplished 21 year old centre half for many years - he makes mistakes and has a lot to learn, but if he continues to improve at the current rate, he is going to be top draw for 10-12 years and that;s why Jose has tracked him all summer.
Report scandanavian_haven August 27, 2015 11:00 PM BST
Don't remember saying everything, do remember saying one thing, which is a big difference.
I think Stones staying at Everton has pretty much booked his seat on the Eurostar to Paris, which is good for England as I rate him as a first choice player.
Report Marcce August 27, 2015 11:24 PM BST
Have to say I do like going to Goodison though preferred it when we were in that rickety old wooden stand behind the goal rather than the current away area.

As I say I do understand it from the fans point of view but from the outside looking in it looks like you've got a decent enough first 11 but are struggling for depth in the squad. Losing Stones would have left a hole obviously but at the same time would have given the opportunity to bring in 3 or 4 players to strengthen that squad. Again, I realise that there's an almost complete lack of trust that the board would do that with the funds but from their point of view it would seem to be the common sense approach.

As you say yourself the chances are you might get another 12 months out of him at most. The times I've seen him I've been quite impressed and I can see why he's Jose's type of defender despite the raw edges though he wouldn't have got away with jumping over the ball for that goal last night with us. Paying that amount for him would have been a risk on our part and I'm quite glad it's not going to happen. In the coming months we'll see if your fans are glad the risk was taken to hang on to him.
Report Can't Catch Me August 28, 2015 8:36 AM BST
The Everton fans I know desperately didn't want him to go. And mostly because they don't trust Martinez with the money. Marcce. I agree with what you are saying about it being a good price, but only if you buy decent replacements. I think it's a well done to Bill.
Report Rider August 28, 2015 1:18 PM BST
if a defender wants to leave and you can get 35-40 million you have to be silly not to take it, as ppl have said he has lots still to learn and its a price based on the potential he may not even realize, particularly now that he'll be playing with disappointment for not being able to play at the highest level of champions league, everton have a good team this year but no chance of the top 4, stones will be gutted imo
Report Pootle August 28, 2015 2:07 PM BST
Stones only turned 21 in May
He makes mistakes has a lot to learn, but he is genuine quality (much like Terry, Adams, Ferdinand, made mistakes when they were starting out, at 20/21)

On the one hand 35mil would be daft given he is not a complete player yet
On the other hand, if you get 10 years quality out of him, and he progresses as expected, then even 50mil would be relatively cheap retrospectively (how much was Rio worth to united? far more than the 30 they paid, when he was 24 and still had a bit to learn)

If Chelsea had bid 35-40mil back in June, I think they would have got him, but they slow played it, so as to not pay too much, and it back fired.
Look at City with Sterling, no way on earth is he a 50mil player at the moment, but they paid it, to get him now because in the next 2-3 years he could progress into that bracket and beyond and really over paying by 15mil is nothing to City.

Stones might take a downturn in form, he might not progress, he might go on to be the next Titus Bramble
But from what I have seen, he wont.
I suspect he'll have a few dodgy moments and some bad mistakes replayed over and over on Sun Tv, but fundamentally he'll progress into one of the countries finest defenders.
And perhaps next summer, or the summer after, he'll move, and it will be for more than 35mil.

He might be disappointed but at the same time, if he really 100% wanted to leave, he'd have put in a transfer request much earlier, as soon as chelsea bid.
Now though, it was late, and when United want 12+ for someone like Evans as a replacement (1yr left on his deal?) then you'll over pay for poor replacements at this stage, so makes sense not to sell.

Plus, its always nice to not give in to the cash rich teams once in a while.
(watch us sell him 1hr before deadline now...)
Report Marcce August 28, 2015 2:32 PM BST
Some fair points there but the difference between Stones and Sterling was that the latter was never going to stay whatever happened. It then became a case of Liverpool putting a price on him and City deciding if that was a price they were willing to pay to get him. By the same degree if Everton had said we won't sell for any less than 35 million then it would have been Chelsea's call. Without that it was going to come down to negotiation so Chelsea weren't going to go in with a maximum bid straight away.

Everton have used Stones' apparent good character to their advantage in this case. He obviously hoped that an agreement would have been reached without him having to put in a transfer request and it was a last resort for him when that didn't happen. He was and is still in a position to make things difficult even with the request turned down but he doesn't seem that type and Everton know that.
Report guinness2dear August 28, 2015 2:45 PM BST
It's more likely that 'The board' made him put in the request, with the sole intention of refusing it (or no request was ever made) to try and turn attention away from their dodgy loan repayments and other unfathomable dealings...
Report guinness2dear August 28, 2015 2:47 PM BST
Oh and can any Spuds fans on ere tell me how Philip Green is keeping these days plz?
Report scandanavian_haven August 28, 2015 2:49 PM BST
Ball is in Everton's court as soon as Stones handed in a transfer request, financially speaking, as soon as a player hands in a request to leave they automatically would lose any signing on fee which in Stones case would mean not having his contract paid up til 2020. Players rarely hand one in.
Report Rider August 28, 2015 2:51 PM BST
martinez talks about having values, he's in the wrong sport isnt he? and if a big spanish club came knocking would martinez stay at everton?, thats his end game imo and he knows he may not get a second chance
Report dr . atkins August 28, 2015 2:51 PM BST
with all this going on and with evertons back 4 all over the place a spurs winShockedShockedlooks a good bet
Report steveoc August 28, 2015 4:57 PM BST
38 Million and the rest.
Report Si-K August 28, 2015 5:02 PM BST
Do the people in this thread going on about the £35m being silly money understand that Luiz went for £50m, Chambers £16m, Lovren £20m, Andy Carrol £36m FFS, Lallana £20m, Markovic £20m, P jONES £16M ETC ETC ETC

The tv money in football has trebled...ADD TO THAT FFP AND Homegrown restrictions - £35m is yesteryears £10m ... £35m doesnt get you a loaf of bread these days
Report Si-K August 28, 2015 5:03 PM BST
Stones value is only going one way and that is UP -
Report Si-K August 28, 2015 5:05 PM BST
And for thoes saying he will be worth £10m less next year ... thats the difference between finishing 14th and 8th ... Swapping Stones for some unproven kid or some unknown £5m south American defender will cost us league positions alone

Speaking of crap of south American defenders.. Coates was £7 BLOODY MILLION TO LIVERPOOL... Thats £15m in todays terms LaughLaugh
Report Marcce August 28, 2015 5:22 PM BST
Do the people in this thread going on about the £35m being silly money understand that Luiz went for £50m, Chambers £16m, Lovren £20m, Andy Carrol £36m FFS, Lallana £20m, Markovic £20m, P jONES £16M ETC ETC ETC

The tv money in football has trebled...ADD TO THAT FFP AND Homegrown restrictions - £35m is yesteryears £10m ... £35m doesnt get you a loaf of bread these days

Kurt Zouma, playing the same position as Stones, with a similar level of top flight experience albeit in France, with an equal amount of potential at the very least I think it's fair to say and slightly younger than Stones went for 12 million. 35 million is silly money at this point in time. We'll wait to see if he does prove to be worth more than that in time.
Report Si-K August 28, 2015 5:52 PM BST
So Zouma, a young foreign unknown player playing in the French league cost £12m... you are proving my point for me...
Report Si-K August 28, 2015 5:53 PM BST
Im not saying £35m for Stones is good "value" .. No doubt you could buy the Spanish equivalent for half the price.. the point is English teams have far more money than other leagues (So it costs more to buy from English clubs) and more importantly there is a huge premium on English players due to the homegrown quota.
Report Marcce August 28, 2015 6:36 PM BST
You've listed a load of players, some of whom are attackers so not comparable anyway that were involved in transfers to and from English clubs so the amount of money available in the English game applies to most of them as well with the other example being a player that went to PSG so that applies equally as well.  Chambers is another one that is comparable to Stones as a young English defender with potential and look at the huge difference in valuations.

Realistically a figure in the mid 20 millions for Stones was pushing it even taking into account the homegrown aspects. A figure in the mid 30 millions was insane. To put it into some kind of perspective, had it been 38 million only one defender in the history of the game has gone for more. If it had been 35 million only 2 defenders will have gone for more. This for a non international who has played about 50 games in top flight football and never played in the CL.

I'll say it again it was silly money.
Report ZEALOT August 28, 2015 7:40 PM BST
i do not give a shyte
Report ZEALOT August 28, 2015 7:40 PM BST
i do not give a shyte
Report homefortea August 28, 2015 8:12 PM BST
Get Johnny Evans in for six million and sell Stones for thirty five..

You know it makes sense but act quickly..
Report mightymoyes August 28, 2015 8:28 PM BST
Marcce did you miss stones 6 England caps?
Report homefortea August 28, 2015 8:35 PM BST
We all saw his display against Barnsley..LaughLaughLaughLaugh

He was either ..

A/wanting a transfer

or

B/fecking over rated and hopeless..Whoops
Report homefortea August 28, 2015 8:43 PM BST
The number of people that have won six England caps is so massive that Dion Dublin is still waiting for his..

There are not that many qualified stitchers in the Country..Laugh
Report FatherMaguire August 28, 2015 9:26 PM BST
every time Everton have sold a big name player they have improved as a consequence in recent yrs - Rooney, Lescott, Rodwell, Arteta, Fellaini all went for more than their true values (except maybe Rooney) and the money massively improved the squad - admittedly, most of the above went under Moyes who was very astute in the transfer market, but I would say replacing him with Ashley Williams and having £20m to improve the rest of the squad would improve the team
Report HarmonicaPhil August 28, 2015 9:48 PM BST
Zealot you obviously could'nt give two shytes
Report triumphoragony August 28, 2015 9:51 PM BST
What's the point selling your best player. When Liverpool sold Suarez Rodgers p!££ed it all away on Southampton players.
Report Marcce August 28, 2015 9:57 PM BST
Marcce did you miss stones 6 England caps?

I missed the 2 he hasn't played yet obviously.

I was talking about currently established not the couple of games he played at right back when just about every other English born right back was injured.
Report guinness2dear August 28, 2015 10:03 PM BST
Alan Parry still thinks he's a right-back
Report Dav_vin03 August 28, 2015 10:22 PM BST

Aug 28, 2015 -- 9:26PM, FatherMaguire wrote:

every time Everton have sold a big name player they have improved as a consequence in recent yrs - Rooney, Lescott, Rodwell, Arteta, Fellaini all went for more than their true values (except maybe Rooney) and the money massively improved the squad - admittedly, most of the above went under Moyes who was very astute in the transfer market, but I would say replacing him with Ashley Williams and having £20m to improve the rest of the squad would improve the team

Ashley Williams GrinGrinGrinLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Ashley williams and £20 million is a big step down from john stones.

Report miss.wales August 29, 2015 8:37 AM BST
If Luke Shaw is valued at £30M, Stones must be worth at least double that.
Report Biscuit1979 August 29, 2015 11:46 AM BST
Think both Everton and Chelsea come out of this ok.

Chelsea now look set to buy Abdennour from monaco for only 15m, which is a great deal. And Everton keep the player knowing that they can still get 35-40m for him next summer and City/United will be in for him as well.

I don't see his form suffering either as Stones will want to play well so he can go to Euro 2016.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com